Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yo i dont remember whose advice on the shambler was "kill shambler first and ignore the little things as they buff themselves" but your advice sucked, dude

turns out the little things continue to exist after the big guy eats it. SALT.

It still is good advice because otherwise it's a war of attrition. The turning point in that earlier double Leper vs. Shambler fight was when I shifted my focus off killing the little things first with Lepers and plucking away at the Shambler with the grave robber for very little damage. Instead having my two trucks actually attempt to get hits before more tentacles arrived and the Lepers got shuffled around. Kill any tentacles with buffs on them but otherwise every hit on the Shambler is progress towards the fight being over rather than being more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

real edit: each cast of a buff / debuff lasts 3 turns. each additional cast will apply another layer(to a max of 3 due to the duration), but the first layer will not refresh.

also crits on dot attacks increases the timer to 5, i think.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Internet Kraken posted:

I wanna know that the madman says to my party that makes them freak out so much.

"But doctor... I am Pagliacci."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So one of my guys just got Weald Phobe and Weald Explorer. Do those two things end up canceling each other out?

edit: It must, when I went to check that character's stats afterwards, the phobe one was gone

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

SomeIdiot posted:

Try hitting tab, bud!
No dice on the first bit tho.

Why isn't that on the control page :eng99:. Thanks.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Macaluso posted:

So one of my guys just got Weald Phobe and Weald Explorer. Do those two things end up canceling each other out?

edit: It must, when I went to check that character's stats afterwards, the phobe one was gone
The game does seem to recognize conflicting quirks, minus the Known Cheat mixing with Gambler. My Leper had God Fearing (will only pray for stress relief) but picked up Witness (won't pray for stress relief) after a session. When I checked his stat sheet there was no Witness so I guess he figured he'd partake...

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Macaluso posted:

They really should change ones like those to no longer be opposites, it's funny but dumb. If they made it so Weald Phobe was -Weald stress resist and Weald Explorer was +Damage to swine or +Crits in Weald your guy would be much more interesting.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

There's something badass about a guy that Falcon punches giant monsters to knock them out. I swear the Bounty Hunter is the games version of Batman.

finally someone who gets it

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Vestal-Man at Arms-Leper-Leper just trashed the Siren! There seems to be some weird bug in the AI that when she mind controls my Lepers, they stand behind her. Where they can't do anything. Hilarious!

Also goddamn Veteran dungeons are harsh and brutal, stay safe my dudes.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

The sad thing is she dumps them right back to you in rank 4.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I need some serious help with the second Darkest Dungeon mission. For the life of me, I have no idea how you can possibly hope to drag your heroes through three boss fights. I've gotten to the second boss (north) and just got completely poo poo on. I've been using the Houndmaster to cover the non-torched hero and the Grave Robber to avoid as much damage as possible, but I have no idea how to keep the party together and in any kind of condition to fight those bosses. What the gently caress do I do?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

gannyGrabber posted:

Vestal-Man at Arms-Leper-Leper just trashed the Siren! There seems to be some weird bug in the AI that when she mind controls my Lepers, they stand behind her. Where they can't do anything. Hilarious!

Also goddamn Veteran dungeons are harsh and brutal, stay safe my dudes.

Alright everyone, we found a use for the lepers. They are so useless they're sort of an advantage to you when mind controlled by the mobs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Time_pants posted:

I need some serious help with the second Darkest Dungeon mission. For the life of me, I have no idea how you can possibly hope to drag your heroes through three boss fights. I've gotten to the second boss (north) and just got completely poo poo on. I've been using the Houndmaster to cover the non-torched hero and the Grave Robber to avoid as much damage as possible, but I have no idea how to keep the party together and in any kind of condition to fight those bosses. What the gently caress do I do?

Obviously spoilers for the Darkest Dungeon in this post.

General tips;

-Don't fight the templars without camping buffs. They are absurdly hard and you need every edge you can get against them. You only have two campfires though, so how can you keep buffs up for the 3 fights with them? Well you clear the path between the last two before using your second fire. Then you can camp before the second fight and walk straight to the third with your buffs intact.
-On top of having decent stun resist, the templars always move twice. You're not gonna be able to lock them down, so you need strong damage output too kill them before they can do too much damage.
-The layout of the map is mirror from the center chamber, though you probably already realized this. The easiest order to go through it is left, center, right.
-Use items liberally. You're probably carrying bandages and antivenom, but don't forget you can remove debuffs with medicinal herbs as well. Buffing all your guys with holy water can give you the edge you need against the templar fights as well.

Class specific stuff;

-I found the MaA too be extremely useful on this mission. He can guard the guy without a talisman and riposte will punish the templars multiple moves while also hurting their adds. Also his camp buffs are really, really good.
-Occultist is gonna be a better healer than the vestal since you can't afford to be healing during the templar fights in the first place. His bonuses against eldritch enemies applies to basically everything in the dungeon. Try and stall out the hallway fights to get some heals in from him, but during a templar fight you should be focused on offense.
-Mark teams that apply -prot are good for chewing through the templars in general. The arbalest is really good here.

Really though, I cannot stress enough how important camp buffs are for the templar fights. Those assholes are insanely strong. Stress isn't nearly as much of an issue in this mission compared to the first so focus more on buffing than recovery.

VVV They can show up in the third but lose revelation so toss those lovely torches in the trash

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 26, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Are templars unique to the second mission or should I keep bringing the special torch trinkets to the last two?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You don't need the torch trinkets after the second mission.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Rest in peace loyal Occultist brothers. Slain by your teammates because of Veteran level Siren. I should dismiss those traitorous jerks on principle.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Every time one of my houndmasters gets charmed by the siren, they just lick their wounds.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm so paranoid about fighting the Brigand 12 pounder again. It's an easy fight obviously, I get it. Last time I went there one of my guys with 105 accuracy missed the Match guy and seconds later my four best people are at zero health. I'm traumatized by the 12 pounder...

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Anyone else having an annoying thing where clicking the lower half of a button doesn't seem to do anything? It's really noticeable when I'm trying to equip trinkets and right clicking the lower half of a character portrait won't pull up the character page.

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 26, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Does the game still crash if you increase the maximum size of your barracks? It's annoying not to have enough slots to keep a couple or three of each class and try weird combinations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Every time one of my houndmasters gets charmed by the siren, they just lick their wounds.

even mind controlled, shag and scoob are the best partymembers

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'm quickly learning that an Occultist stacked with heal-boosting trinkets is loving amazing, even moreso when other party members have +heal received trinkets as well. 30 damage non-critical heals are a thing of beauty.

Of course, now that I posted that I'm probably going to watch him bleed somebody to death on my very next run.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

even mind controlled, shag and scoob are the best partymembers
Is there a full list of names anywhere?

The Leper being Baldwin doesn't surprise me in the least, but I'd be interested to know everyone else's "Canon" name.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

gigawhite posted:

Anyone else having an annoying thing where clicking the lower half of a button doesn't seem to do anything? It's really noticeable when I'm trying to equip trinkets and right clicking the lower half of a character portrait won't pull up the character page.

I didn't make the connection to where I was clicking, but yeah, I've found the character screen difficult to open lately too. As no-one else has mentioned it so far, I wonder if it's related to resolution? I run 1920x1080.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 26, 2016

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I actually muttered this a few times while going to the Ruins to fight the Necromancer Lord. Funnily enough, fighting the big man himself was a cakewalk compared to fighting through those wine-tossing whackos and bone generals who love to flatten you with a mace.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I ran into the shambler randomly in a hallway :stare:

I was using a low level poopsock team with four damage focused characters and they killed him before he could do anything :smuggo:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Doctor Schnabel posted:

could take an eye out with those nipples... :pirate:

man at arms... n-no...

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I finally found this collector guy and he died to my leper/jester party :smug:.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
My leper lost his +8 accuracy class trinket! :mad:

From a boss perspective, I would assume the Leper excels against the Cannon, the Flesh, the Drowned crew? The Shambler and the Collector both have lots of summons for him to hew. Basically any fight where he can just mash Hew and damage the boss + something else?

Regarding the Flesh fight, how do dots interact with it? Does each segment take Dot damage individually? The last time I did it, I had a Plague Doctor and a Hound and the thing was ticking for 10+ every activation.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

frest posted:

Regarding the Flesh fight, how do dots interact with it? Does each segment take Dot damage individually? The last time I did it, I had a Plague Doctor and a Hound and the thing was ticking for 10+ every activation.

Yeah, Hound's Harry is basically the best anti-Flesh attack in the game thanks to that.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Rad Russian posted:

Alright everyone, we found a use for the lepers. They are so useless they're sort of an advantage to you when mind controlled by the mobs.

Lepers are actually really good + strong, you just need to give them ACC increases like mad.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

frest posted:

My leper lost his +8 accuracy class trinket! :mad:

From a boss perspective, I would assume the Leper excels against the Cannon, the Flesh, the Drowned crew? The Shambler and the Collector both have lots of summons for him to hew. Basically any fight where he can just mash Hew and damage the boss + something else?

Dots are the key to the flesh fight because all four enemies count as one and it heals constantly from the heart. So a hound master using its ability can put a bleed on all four enemies and do 4x the damage from one dot.

Don't take the leper to the drowned crew since it shuffles people around. The cannon is probably a good idea though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Losing 3 level 5 party members due to a thrall exploding with 1 hp left after having dodged 6 attacks in a row with his measly 18 dodge is loving infuriating.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

What's the trick to using Abominations or are they considered a trash/challenge class?
I used him once and all the transformation hassle seemed not worth the constant stress on him and the party.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

fatherboxx posted:

What's the trick to using Abominations or are they considered a trash/challenge class?
I used him once and all the transformation hassle seemed not worth the constant stress on him and the party.

While transformed he does a million damage. That's the trick. If it's a regular medium or long mission you'll probably want a jester to manage the transformation stress. If it's a boss, just beeline line it for the furthest room, keep him in human form swinging the chain for regular fights, and you can get away without using a jester for that 1 fight.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Been slowly building up money as I try out different party combo's on green missions. Two different ones stuck out really well.

4 Grave Robbers and 4 Plague Doctors. :staredog:

For the Robbers, alternating stuns and damage on the front line with positions 1 and 2 is pretty cool. Positions 3 and 4 destroy backlines quickly and can quickly stack a DoT on heavy protection dudes. Granted I haven't done anything beyond green with them but it's fantastic so far for dark runs where I crit, crit, get surprised and can reshuffle my team with the various movement abilities they all have.

4 Plague Doctors, stacking DoTs on everything kills everything at low levels really fast. I doubt it'll be useful beyond that but drat if it isn't fun. :ohdear:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fatherboxx posted:

The Abomination's level scaling is all weird. His base damage scales up disproportionately quickly (and the free damage buff he gets out of transforming also scales up, boosting his burst damage even higher) and the scaling on absolution is also crazy, plus he gets additional healing and a little stress recovery for the team from leveling up transform. So he's a huge pain in the rear end at level 0 but winds up being a total shitwrecker.

The trick until then is to leave him untransformed as much as you can and spam manacles at low levels, only transforming when you really really need it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

fatherboxx posted:

I did some runs where it was 4 abominations. The fourth one couldn't do anything so he just stayed in the back stress healing himself. He was basically a back up. It took a long time before he got crazy, it took like two missions. The transformations stress out everyone, but when they transform back they like, lower their stress AND heal themselves, just automatically?? They proceeded to just destroy two missions completely before I had to put them to rest cause they were all too stressed out (thought it helped that one of the abominations become righteous or whatever it is when you get the good stress effect). The fourth one remained fine the whole time

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Dots are the key to the flesh fight because all four enemies count as one and it heals constantly from the heart. So a hound master using its ability can put a bleed on all four enemies and do 4x the damage from one dot.

Don't take the leper to the drowned crew since it shuffles people around. The cannon is probably a good idea though.

Just like the Necromancer, the Drowned Crew folds to Crusaders because they are Unholy. Plus Crusader camping skills give stress damage mitigation which is necessary for anyone who gets All Hands On Deck!'d into Heave to!

Leper is okay against the Flesh and maybe also the Pounder. The problem I'd have is the Leper having the inability to hit specific targets. Sure, Hew will hit the first two parts of the Flesh for a bunch and can knock the cannon around since it'll almost be in the first two positions and has tons of Prot. But a front liner having the ability to target a heart in any position, like a Hellion, or killing the Matchman should your other ranks somehow fail to both seem way more important or like better options. I think once again that if Leper ignored Prot or reduced it both of these fights would totally be his bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the leper should spread leprosy