Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
You can recover from going broke by being a total bastard with new recruits - send them into dungeons, get some gold and then abandon quest. If they take too much stress, dismiss them and get more new recruits. There's no time limit to the game so far, so why not?

Keep torches fully light as much as possible just to avoid stress damage. That poo poo adds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Shlapintogan posted:

Ectoplasms are the worst and I hate them.

Worse than the bandit AOE teams? I love starting fights with 3 bandits all hitting everyone in my team, inflicting bleed and possibly critting.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Sanitarium costs are pretty out of whack in the mid game. Just getting a second room costs a lot of loving resources and dungeons are starting to hand out afflictions like candy. My jester got like 4 negative conditions in 1 dungeon, bad ones too like wasting disease and lockjaw. I'm going to have to get a party of scrubs and do apprentice missions just to spend time to heal everyone of their really bad afflictions.

In the hag fight, does the cauldron actually kill your characters? It seemed like it just got characters to deaths door and then dumped them out. Better to wail on the hag and just heal your guy when he pops out.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I wonder if leveling up stun attacks reduces effective stun resistance . I hope it does, because otherwise, it looks everything outside of straight damage dealing is going to be useless in the last dungeons. It seems like every monster is getting 50% or higher resistance on everything on veteran quests.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Lost a good level 3 hellion to the necromancer. To be fair, I brought a bad party - hellion, leper, vestal and jester. Jester buffed and kept everyone sane, but the others could not deal with the spawns fast enough. Maybe a crusader, highwayman, bounty hunter and jester (for the sanity and buffs)?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I beat the necromancer with a highwayman, crusader, vestal and jester. I got some lucky crits and stunned him 2 or 3 times, which helped a lot. I didn't get to use holy lance much because no one was in the back rows most of the time. Point blank is baller though.

I also sent out a party of level 0 scrubs with no supplies - 2 plague doctors, a vestal and hellion - they managed to get 3k of gold before one of the docs died and I called it quits. Fired them all because gently caress paying to heal your stress.

edit: I really hit critical hits that only do low damage but freak your guys out. When the mushroom guys do escape cloud and crit for 2 points of damage, my party should not be freaking out for 10 points of stress each.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 5, 2015

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Uhgh, I'm kind of stuck in a rut that my level 3 guys require a lot of gold to heal/remove conditions and level 3 quests generally require a lot more in supplies. So I beat a level 1 quest, get a lot of gold, spend most of it to upgrade guys then try a level 3 quest and then fail because I run out of supplies before I get a chance to finish it (go through 10 rooms to find 1 of the 3 items I need and all my guys are half stressed and have single digit hit points) so now I gotta go back to doing level 1 quests before I can throw in my level 3 guys back in.

I hate the find 3 item quests - you need a lot more supplies usually because of all the backtracking off of side routes.

Also the plague doctor battlefield medicine skill would be super useful if it ever loving worked. Even upgraded, it never loving works.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Dackel posted:

This is probably the reason the game picks up in difficulty for new players at that stage. The difficulty ramps up really high, if you haven't been rotating people around a lot, because of the fact that Rank 3s refuse to go to lv1 quests and rank 5s refuse lv1/lv3

It's not really hard, just tedious to grind up the gold on lvl 1 quests to outfit my level 3 guys so they can survive a level 3 quest.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Two highwaymen with point blank shot, an occultist with stab or graverobber with pick to the face, and a vestal or jester as support in the back is pretty amazing so far. If you get the highwaymen in the right initiative order, that's 2 point blank shots per round. Pick to the face/sacrificial stab is great for taking out weakened targets and jester/vestal support keeps everyone in tiptop shape.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Waffle! posted:

The level 2 Necromancer is no joke. I'm still trying to build up my ranks again for a rematch.

All the bosses are about party design and getting there in good shape. If your party doesn't have good synergy, you're hosed. If your guys are low on health and sanity from random encounters, you're hosed. Otherwise, there's definitely doable.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Beat all the bosses - not going to bother with the level up every class to level 6 goals, so I'm basically done until more content is added. I've got more than my money's worth already though, so I can't wait to see new missions/dungeons. Some thoughts:

All the boss fights are very hard or easy based on how well you built your party to fight them and knowing what not to do during the fight. I lost a level 4 highwayman to the last hag boss and a level 3 hellion to the second necromancer fight, but never a full wipe.

We need to see every status condition affecting character.

Obviously the game needs a loss condition - either your guy goes mad and kills himself or the hamlet gets overrun by evil.

We need something to do with trinkets if we don't want to use them with our characters. Maybe convert them to crests or throw in 3 trinkets of the same rarity to get 1 random one of the same or lower rarity?

Evil should try to corrupt or destroy the hamlet - every week, there's a chance bandits could steal gold or other resources, or the wagon could fail to make a delivery, so no buying trinkets that week.

Wishlist

Steam workshop integration (this was a stretch goal they just failed to meet in the KS, but surely they have the budget for it now?)

I hope you can have more of your team do stuff in their off weeks rather than relieve stress or remove quirks. Maybe stand guard at the garrison to prevent attacks with a random chance of getting resolve or a weapon/armor upgrade - adds 1-10 stress though - go to the library to find information about particular monsters or gain certain positive quirks - actions that make other character useful because you can quickly rack up a bunch of characters that never do anything because you can only send out 4 at a time.

A randomized miniboss generator - every once in a while you find a named version of a monster - murderhobo the bandit - it can taunt you, has better stats, better lot, and grants 1 additional resolve exp if you beat the mission after killing him. Dead or dismissed adventurers have a chance of becoming minibosses.

Crazier, more elaborate bosses - I'd like to fight a giant Lovecraftian monster that takes up multiple rooms - kill a tentacle here, then move over and kill an eyeball or something.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I just got back into this game to try out Crimson Court and other DLC. I've noticed that it also has steam workshop enabled - I've installed a few cosmetic mods - can anyone recommend some gameplay ones?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

If you kill the fanatic, does he stay dead or will he respawn? I know there's a veteran and champion version - so do I have to kill both to avoid dealing with that poo poo?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Whoops riposte is not a good idea against the Swine Prince. Still beat him but barely.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Yeah, Swine King gets a move that does a ton of damage to all 4 heroes and can stun them, even with a stun resistance buff, if you kill Wilbur first. Thank god my hellion got like 2 crits on him before i riposted wilbur to death.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

For Vvulf, I don't remember my exact team but I had a MaA and an occultist. Occultist spammed weakening curse and MaA just protected whoever was going to get bombed. The bombs wound up doing 6 damage tops, so that trivialized the entire fight. I think I had a dog man and flag as well? Not sure, but they just focused on killing him and healing when necessary.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Jedah posted:

Dang, somehow we all overlooked this strategy, but yeah, that's a really efficient way to neuter Vvulf's bomb mechanic. Weakening Curse is incredibly useful on certain bosses and hard-hitting enemies.

In most cases, I prefer it over Wyrd Reconstruction, especially in Champion dungeons.

Its the same for prophet fights. Double fun if you take 2 occultists to reduce his damage to -120%.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

So I beat countess and got the green key but I don't think my party can make it all the way to the side loot rooms - low on food and all that. Do the side rooms generate anything unique or just random courtyard trinkets I could grind by killing the stone guardian? Or can I return to countess after killing to get the side loot?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Does the shieldbreaker mean there's likely another expansion on the way?

Yeah, it was mentioned the next DLC will involve snakes and I guess desert themes, so wooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

snoremac posted:

I can't find info on this: if the shrieker flies away does it mean it's going to steal trinkets again in the future? Or was that it? It wasn't much of a fight.

Shrieker respawns even if you kill it. Just focus on the nest since that drops some gems.