Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
So how much Food and Torches should I be taking into dungeons? It seems I always run out and I ain't sure what the basic loadout should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah, when I first started it up I got a black screen that if I clicked acted like it wasn't responding until I hit something on the keyboard, then it gave me a "hit space or click mouse" prompt.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

I only backed at the $20 level so I'd get the game + early access, but I bought the art book a la carte for another $20 and I'm so loving glad I did, because an art book for this game is going to be insane.

I'm regretting not backing at a level that gets me the exclusive class, though. I really hope they'll offer it as DLC later, but would that be a dick move to the backers?

What tiers give the exclusive class anyways? I backed at 95$ but I don't even remember what I get

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah the dialogue is great. I had my Vestal freak out and start yelling at the other party members to fight harder and stop loving up which made her less stressed but stressed everyone out way more. Luckily my Plague Doctor decided to be a hero and managed to hold it together which allowed me to complete the quest and get everyone out of there broken (everyone had 100 Stress except my Doc), but alive.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
This is the only game that has ever had me think "Oh man everything is going so well, I don't want to play anymore" because I know it is about to probably take a nosedive

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

Managed to beat a dungeon run with 3 people on deaths door from the start to the end of the last fight. Leper just kept taking hits and doing the regen up thing, the Graverobber got a clutch flashing knives double-crit and it was over. This game is awesome.

Darkest Dungeon: The Highs are Very High and the Lows are Very Frequent

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Lotish posted:

It also looks to me like Occultists pair with Bounty Hunters well, because the former can use an ability to mark a target, while the latter has a move that does double damage to marked targets. Bounty Hunters also seem to have a naturally good crit chance--or maybe mine's just great that way, because while his crowd control abilities can be hit or miss, if he starts chopping, heads roll.

Bounty Hunter, Hellion and Occultist made up a great team for me. Stick anything you want in the last slot and it will do fine. Vestal for extra healing, Doctor for CC, Jester for some buffs or stress relief. My Bounty Hunter and Hellion were mowing things down and the Occultists Heals + Pulling did a ton to mitigate damage

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

so every stream I've watched, they walk into two rooms and are at 100 stress

how are you supposed to get through these dungeons below 100 stress?

I'm about 9 weeks into my new game and have not had anyone hit 100 Stress yet. They are either getting extremely unlucky, playing for the first time, or just plain bad.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

S.J. posted:

I've had, after an hour and a half, not had a single successful expedition. I have yet to get more than 3-4 fights in without a string of crits, quirks, and death's door bringing a large part of my party up to 100 stress. That stuff feeds on itself like whoa.

Are you constantly refreshing torches and using Stuns against the enemy? My first game I had like 8 guys at 100 stress after 3 weeks but once I realized what the troublesome enemies were (Skeleton Courtiers, Female Cultists, Anything with a Bow or Gun while in the back row) and that high torchlight is necessary for the early game it was a lot smoother sailing. Also that Leper/Hellion/whatever/Occultist is an awesome combo.

If you have traits that give you +Stress Damage, especially ones that are for an entire dungeon, it is worth the trip to the Sanitorium if you are using that dude long term. +20% from everything in a dungeon is huge

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Apple2o posted:

Isn't there some thing about letting your light levels tank for big loot though? Everyone spamming torches might just be fun-hating babies.

I would assume that is more viable + sensible when you have a couple levels in the Guild or Blacksmith so you can use gear or skills to mitigate some of the negative aspects of low light (although you do get +Crit % for being in low light)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

I tried that but even with a Jester going full stress song every turn, it still didn't seem to make a huge impact :shrug:

And somebody earlier said that upgrading heals didn't upgrade how much they healed for, which is totally false. Upgrading heals at the guild will increase the ranges.

The Vestal Group heal stayed 1-2 for me from lvl 1 -> 2, not sure if it goes up at a higher level or what

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but I was using it every round and having it hit 3-4 party members each time and it still didn't feel like much :shrug:

Well duh! Think about it, the value is 1-2. Each rank is going to increase the ability like 10%. If upgrading group heal went from 1-2 to even 1-3 or 2-3 that's a HUGE change. That's a 50% increase. Hitting all 4 party members means you're going from 8 to 12 total healing.

With group heal I bet you'll have to get it to the 3rd or 4th or even 5th rank before you see a healing upgrade.

Same with the crusader's dinky 1-1 heal/buff, I bet you'd have to get it to like 5th rank before it heals for more. His 1-3 heal on the other hand probably goes to 1-4 at like 2nd or 3rd rank.

But the Vestal's main 3-5 heal or the Occultist's 0-10 heal both go up to like 3-5 and 0-12 on the first rank up. (Because a small percentage of a bigger range is more noticeable than the same percentage of a tiny range)

Yeah I just thought it would progress something like 1-2 -> 2-2 -> 2-3 or something similar.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah that is a common bug and I believe devs are aware of it

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Anatharon posted:

This looks kinda cool, I'll probably check it out when it's not Early Access because I'm not a sucker.

It doesn't seem to be any more survival horror than say Diablo, though.

Are the characters supposed to be specific people, ie they talk and stuff, or are they all silent?

They talk but it is from a pool of lines and banter. They don't have story interactions and they aren't integral characters

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah the EA for this is really satisfying. Devs said they still have to add lore and stuff to the game which will probably make an already immersive game pretty amazing. I am glad they are looking at gamey stuff like eating food in combat and stun locking enemies to heal up and get stress relief. They are decently active on the Steam forums too, at least letting people know what they are looking into and the like. Really high hopes for this game and most of them have already been met

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

DrManiac posted:

The one lord backer on kickstarter just gets to design a class that every body gets (Which is why the picture in the op just has ?) so we could very well get a wizard dude. The only ks exclusive is a variant on the merchant.

They don't even know if the variant is the merchant yet, it could be any class I believe at this point. Nothing is decided yet

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

clockworkjoe posted:

Lost a good level 3 hellion to the necromancer. To be fair, I brought a bad party - hellion, leper, vestal and jester. Jester buffed and kept everyone sane, but the others could not deal with the spawns fast enough. Maybe a crusader, highwayman, bounty hunter and jester (for the sanity and buffs)?

I did it with Occultist : Vestal : Hellion : Leper and trounced it pretty much. If It Bleeds was the star of the show honestly

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

DanTheFryingPan posted:

If your dudes are mad, it'll be next to impossible to retreat.

Unless you have one that broke mentally and is now "Cowardly"

Like 4/4 with retreating with an insane cowardly dude

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Those of us who backed at the level to get the soundtrack haven't gotten it yet right?

Should be up on Humble Bundle I think

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Leper owns and he is basically a cornerstone for my team. I have him and a Hellion in my A-Team and they basically can obliterate any row at any given time and it is great

Also I feel bad for him having leprosy so I send him only to the Brothel to relieve stress so he can at least feel some sort of affection, if only fleeting

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

Sympathy for your leper but no sympathy for the poor whores you've just given leprosy to?! :stonk:

When the whores can 1 shot bandits then they can have my sympathy

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

ZenVulgarity posted:

How do I use the grave digger well

Get her leveled, stack Dodge poo poo, laugh at feeble enemies trying to hit you

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

I wonder if the Devs considered Tactics Ogre style job advancement trees.

Tactics Ogre was job switching, Ogre Battle was the straight advancement trees :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
I've not played this since it first was in Early Access, what are some cool + good team compositions that are also fun as well?