Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
oh god why did I buy this game?

oh god why did I start playing it after midnight?

Now I've barely slept and I'm hearing the goddamn narrator in my head every time I close my eyes and I'm loving every second (even the ones where the RNG decides it hates me and wants to drive all my explorers insane before killing them)..

Is Hieronymous Alloy's newbie guide in the OP still the best way to figure out how to not suck at this/what the hell you're all talking about ITT, or is there some newer way to get up to speed? Are there any must-have mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ccubed posted:

Darkest Dungeon II - New FREE Game Mode 'Kingdoms' Coming in 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkTnnAJjJrA

RPS have a few more details about this in their piece, including this summary of the new mode:

RockPaperShotgun posted:

Much as in the main game, each round of Kingdoms gives you a network of biomes connected by inns, but this time you'll view them from on high and be able to shuffle a stagecoach worth of heroes back and forth between inns, all of which are under siege.

You're handed eight heroes in total, four of which can travel in the stagecoach while the others protect inns, and knowing who to prop behind the bar and who to invite on a jollie can be vital. You'll likely want the burn-resistant Runaway with you if you're travelling through the smouldering City biome, for instance. As (Chris) Bourassa explained, the mode aims to strike a balance between picking and choosing characters for parties in DD1 and committing to a single band of adventurers in DD2. "We're getting back to that kind of roster cycle from Darkest Dungeon 1. You can drop off the Plague Doctor so she can heal up at one inn, put the Leper on your coach, drive to another inn, go through a biome that's suited for him, then let him heal." Hero progression is a bit closer to the original game, too. Skills are straightforwardly bought from trainers at inns - there are no Shrines of Reflection.