Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Man this is fun as poo poo. It's kinda like a grim fantasy X-Com, but with old style RPG combat. I basically dove in with minimal knowledge of how to actually play the game so it's been a real meat grinder so far, but that's half the fun of this kind of thing. My vestal is both abusive and bloodthirsty, and basically spends most of her time in the dungeon making the rest of the party as miserable as possible (whether it's by insulting them every time they miss or opening iron maidens that I would really rather stay closed).

Figuring out the mechanics without a whole lot of help has been easy enough so far but I was kinda surprised by how short the torches last. Sometimes I lose a light level just going through a hallway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Demiurge4 posted:

It depends on the size of the dungeon. A short dungeon doesn't let you rest, a medium will let you rest once and a large will presumably let you rest twice. The vestal is pretty decent but healing in general is a bit weak I think, I like to bring a tanky party and just smash my way through instead of trying to pitifully mitigate damage with heals.

The occultist is also a really good healer. His heal has a chance to cause bleed, but in my experience it's a very small chance so if you take a doctor along (or some bandages) the occultist is the ideal single-target healer/debuffer.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I sent the masochist jester in to flagellate as a form of stress relief, and he came out no longer masochistic.

I guess he got it out of his system.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
There really are a whole bunch of enemies where, upon seeing them, you immediately think "oh no :gonk:"

Darkest Dungeon: Realistic Adventurer Simulator

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Before I go and lose a party facing the swine prince, what tactics do you need for him? I don't want major spoilers, just don't want to repeat the situation with the hag where I went into it blind with a party full of short range melee damage.

Don't hit his little buddy, at all, until the Prince is dead

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Poison Mushroom posted:

The Crusader's Holy Lance seems really good for that. Has anyone tried running two of them, so they can both use their Holy Lances continuously?

yes and it owns

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

AnonSpore posted:

What is this beautiful thing

This is what will almost certainly happen at some point when you go into the Warrens, unfortunately :smith:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
After realizing that I am a dumbass and the bounty hunter benefits from marks other than his own, I have started using one alongside a vulnerability hex occultist. He is cleaning up the Weald singlehandedly. I wish I'd figured this out sooner.

Also just a heads up: if you run from the hag while someone is in the pot, you will lose that person, which...seems kind of obvious in retrospect :doh:

Normal Adult Human posted:

My starter highwayman cleans his guns, scouts ahead, and then gets eye of the tiger and a blessing and he had a 30% baseline crit with ranged attacks. It's a serious consideration whether i want him to immediately end the encounter with grapeshot or let it take longer for extra stress reduction.

edit: that guy is dead now.

lmao. darkestdungeon.txt

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Speaking of odd descriptions, the Bounty Hunter's last two skills "Finish Him" and "Hook & Slice"
From the descriptions (of the first two levels at least), it seems "Finish Him" is strictly better then the last skill. Hits for more damage/crit, and from/to any position ("Hook & Slice" is from back ranks only).
The only difference I can find from the descriptions is "Hook & Slice" is considered Ranged rather then Melee, so would interact a bit differently with quirks. Is the tool-tip leaving something out, or is it just a skill that needs some attention? (haven't run Hook&Slice myself yet to see what exactly does)

Hook & Slice drags whatever it hits to the front of the enemy line

e: vvvv poo poo, he's right, disregard

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 3, 2015

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Nymphomaniac leper :gonk:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Yardbomb posted:

I get there and the only people capable of hitting her are an Occultist and Plague Doctor (Because my prick Highwayman is 3 and won't go anymore). My Leper suddenly misses just about every hit with around 70% accuracy, on top of his accuracy buff from camping. My Crusader with some ridiculously high buffed damage percent can never hit either. This fatass crone might as well get eighty turns in a row when we have pretty average speed. The whole group had improved armor and weapons. Every time it's either the Leper or Crusader who get put in and I basically can't leave without them. I had multiple Ancestral trinkets on the team as well as my other actual good ones. Failed about 4 retreats in a row. Legit pissed at such a stupid fight and the shittiest loving dice rolls known to mankind taking my entire best lineup.

The human mind: fragile, like a robin's egg

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Waffle! posted:

I had a Bounty Hunter disappear from the bar for a three week bender. :pwn:

I feel like The Hangover would be a lot more lethal in this setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
If you retreat from fights you should get the "Bitchmade" affliction, but in real life