Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SO, uh.

This game doesn't gently caress around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I definitely lost my highwayman during the tutorial and haven't found another yet, while my Crusader was maxed out on stress and on death's door. It was pretty fantastic.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MotU posted:

I'm about 9 weeks into my new game and have not had anyone hit 100 Stress yet. They are either getting extremely unlucky, playing for the first time, or just plain bad.

I've had, after an hour and a half, not had a single successful expedition. I have yet to get more than 3-4 fights in without a string of crits, quirks, and death's door bringing a large part of my party up to 100 stress. That stuff feeds on itself like whoa.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MotU posted:

Are you constantly refreshing torches and using Stuns against the enemy? My first game I had like 8 guys at 100 stress after 3 weeks but once I realized what the troublesome enemies were (Skeleton Courtiers, Female Cultists, Anything with a Bow or Gun while in the back row) and that high torchlight is necessary for the early game it was a lot smoother sailing. Also that Leper/Hellion/whatever/Occultist is an awesome combo.

If you have traits that give you +Stress Damage, especially ones that are for an entire dungeon, it is worth the trip to the Sanitorium if you are using that dude long term. +20% from everything in a dungeon is huge

Yes, yes, and and no I don't have any +stress traits. A single missed stun or shuffle effect can end up tanking your stress.
I'm not complaining, by the way, but there's still an RNG.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Anyone else been seeing an issue with recruiting? After you recruit someone, people in line underneath them 'fall' up in the line but their graphic doesn't move, so you have to rclick where they were to view their information rather than where they are currently, and can cause you to recruit the wrong people as well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lotish posted:

Can I just say that

is going to be really nice. I've found that my biggest problem with stress is that when one character ends up getting an affliction they just never shut up, and every time they bark, which can be as much as twice a round in some cases, they stress everyone else until they blow up.

Same. This has been the single biggest cause of cascading stress issues.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its a bug. They aren't updating the indexes after you pull people over. Ideally you should close the stagecoach each time you hire somebody.

If you try to right click on people after hiring somebody, weird poo poo happens. I've had a crash to desktop happen that way, or characters opening other characters' sheets.

Hopefully they'll sort it out soon.

Yeah, definitely re open the window because every crash I've had has been a direct result of me not doing that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It is the middle of the afternoon on a monday and there are over 16,000 people watching this game on Twitch right now holy poo poo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

Do they have any plans to port this to iOS? Seems like the perfect kind of game for a tablet.

I think their original vision for the game was as a tablet game, but I don't know if they've said anything solid about porting it over.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

My starter highwayman died to crits in the last tutorial fight and I haven't seen another one since, I'm about 8 weeks in.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you upgraded your caravan?

Yep! Twice so far.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Would allowing a single camp in the short missions trivialize things too much? Their difficulty can swing wildly, it seems.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Abusive is the loving worst. Party member crit a bad guy? Get stress. Party member kills a bad guy? Get stress. Party member misses? Get stress. Do anything? Get stress.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

Sometimes the masochistic ones will just self harm to get their pain fix, even into deaths door and properly killing themselves.

I think I've lost 2 people this way :negative:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, in streams I've seen characters refuse heals or orders to move positions in the party. I think most of them were stress-panicking but maybe not all.

Paranoid is hilarious for this. If you have someone who becomes Paranoid, have someone else attempt to move into their space. Most of the time it doesn't work, the action is wasted, and the paranoid person is like 'DON'T loving COME NEAR ME I'LL CUT YOU'

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I thought the Kickstarter was pretty straightforward on whether or not you'd get the game at Early Access or on release.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Al Borland posted:

I looked at the early acces page it didn't have a "pay 20 dollars to get it" until today.
To me thats early access.

WHen you can physically buy the game that's release.

It isn't, actually. Early Access is basically just paid beta testing, not the actual release, regardless of how well polished the beta is. The 20 dollar and above tiers in the Kickstarter explicitly say you get Early Access, the 15 dollar tier does not.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Al Borland posted:

I'm sorry I guess I"m used to a time where bullshit like paying to play for beta didn't exist. Had I known they were going to do that maybe I would have shelled out five more dollars instead of feeling jilted. like 3,200 other people.

You did know they were going to do that. Or at least, they made it known to you. Early Access is right there on the kickstarter reward tiers. You should probably do more research in the future when purchasing games well before they're released. But like someone said, definitely hit the Devs up to see if you can pay the difference and get an EA key.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Al Borland posted:

Well it also says january is when I should get my key. Its february now.

Also early access for BACKERS. IT never said mass public.

Early Access is a specific thing that allows people to buy a game before it's finished on Steam, not 'earlier than everyone else.' Early Access is by definition available to the public.

Kyrosiris posted:

Except there are multiple contradictions in their own updates, so can you even consider that accurate? :v:

Oh? I didn't realize that. Although I doubt Al was watching their updates.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

What's available right now is half the game, though, so they haven't cheated you. That said I get the frustration but I went for the $20 tier specifically to get access to the game asap.

Yeah, like I said, ask the devs if you can pay for the difference.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

You paid less money than everyone else to get the game as a reward for backing it, dunno why you'd feel cheated :shrug: If you didn't know what any of this stuff entailed when the Kickstarter was happening, why did you spend money on it?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

I feel like dogpiling on people who expected EA to be Typical Early Access Garbage instead of, you know, a good polished game that isn't fully finished/debugged is pretty poor form, though, not gonna lie.

I think it's poor form to complain about not getting Early Access because you explicitly didn't pay for it because you assumed it would be Typical Early Access Garbage to be pretty poor form, but it's cool that the Devs are willing to meet people halfway. Not suggesting that's where this particular beef is coming from, but I bet a lot of 15 dollar tier backers will be complaining about that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think there are ways to up the kickstarter reward among other things, so I would reach out to the devs. Either way, if the early access is this feature complete I can't imagine full release is far off.

They've said second half of 2015. Expect 6 months of EA.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It's Early Access day 1, I doubt they'll get to you for a bit, honestly. It's not a huge team.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Solomonic posted:

Hook & Slice drags whatever it hits to the front of the enemy line

Hook & Slice is a damage move, there's a separate drag move.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Noon on a Wednesday, like 15+ thousand people watching on Twitch during Early Access. Good stuff.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

Like XCOM, Darkest Dungeon's randomness sometimes decides to gently caress you. Also like XCOM, the game gives you the tools you need to help prevent disaster and lets you bounce back when disaster does strike.

I hope they start adding the town events that they've talked about into the game soon, that sounds pretty rad. I do kind of wish this game had a 'doom tracker' equivalent where you could actually lose the game but it's by no means necessary.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

Especially since "soon, The Stars Will Be Right" type shenanigans is a cornerstone of Lovecraftian stuff.

I'd just like to be able to see initiative order, I feel like it's kind of hard to plan at present.

Agreed on the initiative. Not necessarily for the enemies, but I'd like to see in what order my own guys are acting so I can know whether or not it's okay to buff someone this round, etc.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A lot of the tension comes from not knowing.

That's certainly a legitimate design decision, but I just want to know what order my own guys are acting in, not the enemies order in the round or when their actions occur.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

TotalBiscuit is now streaming the game.

Holy poo poo he is a blind idiot.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

TB is an insufferable shithead.

And he completes both of his first quests on the first try. gently caress.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Maybe give diminishing returns to stuns.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Phyresis posted:

How about making it so that monsters (maybe even adventurers as well) gain additional stun resistance when they come out of stun that stacks on their base resist? Maybe 10-25% each time or something.

In a turn based game, that's what diminishing returns would already be.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Hellburger99 posted:

Is there a trick to getting a decent healer? The occultist's heal is decent, but the Vestal's is pretty terrible. I get that heroes are disposable, but if I'm constantly replacing dead heroes, I'm not really improving my old ones. Does the Vestal's heal get better with levels or are there hidden heal mechanics or what?

Sorry if this sounds bitchy. I'm really digging this game, but I can force only doing 2-5 healing per shot being next to useless once I get past the beginner level dungeons.

It isn't really useless at all, I'm not sure what you're expecting. The group heal and single target heal are both good and get better as you upgrade them. Healing is not a given in this game. Focus on using stuns to help recovery health and/or stress early on in fights as well as to reduce the damage you take in the first place.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Also I've done some dungeon runs with no healers and it can work fine, you just gotta play a little cagey. Just make sure to either take items to get rid of blight/bleed or have, like, a Plague Doctor available with the ability to do so because that will help negate a lot of incidental damage you'd end up taking and is basically the equivalent of healing in a lot of cases.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

You are never going to find armor and weapons in dungeons. They were explicit about this. That's not the kind of loot they're interested in making for the game, and they don't think it fits the theme. Trinkets are what they're doing instead. Honestly, armor/weapon drops would add nothing but another RNG tick to the game and doesn't address any testing or balance issues. The point of not having random dropped weapons/armor is that it would dilutes the class identities. The tradeoffs for bonuses and penalties on trinkets could certainly stand to be messed around with though, as many of the penalties are either easily worked around or irrelevant to begin with. Like, my 0 dodge character doesn't care about -4 dodge. Weapon and Armor upgrades, as well as skill upgrades, certainly need more to differentiate them though - randomly added traits or quirks for upgrading to certain levels or something (probably a bad idea, just throwing an idea out). Upgrade tiers that add secondary effects rather than flat math increases seem like a must.

I do think the game needs significantly more quest types though., and hopefully at some point there will be an upgrade for higher level characters to have a larger inventory.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I'm doing level 3 dungeons at the moment, and my adventurers barely ever get knocked down to Death's door, and I haven't had anyone reach 100 stress in like 20 dungeons. The only character I've lost was to the first hag, and I haven' even gotten close to losing anyone else. The balance is definitely in a weird place right now, but fortunately that's something that can change until release.

Yeah, Stress generation could certainly stand to be higher, and not only keyed to specific stress artillery monsters.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Also, same typed buffs on your own guys and debuffs on the enemy should not stack. If you have 3 different +ACC buffs you should just get the greatest among them, and the same should be true for any other stat.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I can see why you'd say that, but that would also render lots of abilities like the Jester's song pretty useless in lots of cases.

Nah, those abilities just need to be able to be used from the back 2 rows instead of only the back so that they can choose whether or not to buff or attack on any given turn. Sure, you might want to retool the numbers, but either you retool certain numbers up as per my scenario, or you need to retool a bunch of numbers down if the system stays as it is. Certain buffs are far too easy to stack, and also makes certain camping skills a complete no brainer rather than a real decision to be weighed vs the camping time you have. My suggestion introduces actual choices to your turn by turn decision making rather than simply doing chain buffing or chain de-stressing. Buff duration is also a factor here, both in and out of combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Every person that you dismiss should have a chance of becoming a crazed high level mini boss later on that you will just randomly encounter. :getin:

And yes I'm being serious because that would own.