Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing I haven't seen people mention: Buffs/Debuffs will stack with themselves. So if you use something that grants +20% protection twice, you'll have 40% protection rather than just refreshing the duration (I'm not sure if each stack is on a separate timer or if it gets globally refreshed with each application though). This property is one thing that makes the Jester's buffs/debuffs really effective, because they apply to everyone at once.

Positional control is really helpful in the game too. Enemies don't have a basic "move" ability, so generally if you pull a ranged guy into the front ranks, he'll be stuck there using his much lower damage melee attack. Or even better, a few tough melee enemies don't even have a ranged attack at ALL (like the big skeletons with the shield), so if you bump them to the back ranks they just sit there passing their turn until you kill enough guys in front of them to bring them up again.

I wish you could heal with items besides using food, though, since without a combat healer character it seems like you just get screwed in dungeons longer than "short". I mean a lot of characters do have some kind of healing ability, but most of them aren't particularly good for anything other than bringing yourself out of death's door for another round. Being able to build up a buffer outside of combat without camping would be very useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lower light also boosts your chance to crit - at 0 you get a +6% bonus which is pretty huge.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tagichatn posted:

The devs have an official forum with area for feedback so we should repost ideas and suggestions there too. I dunno how much they read it or take feedback to heart but it's worth a shot. One thing I've been annoyed with is the length of some turns. Some times an enemy does something, one of your dudes says something and someone else replies then you wait another few seconds before you actually get control. It feels a bit slow and breaks up the flow so hopefully they can change it.

There seems to be a delay after a character says something before anything else can happen, and it gets pretty annoying when you get a bunch of people talking in a single turn like that. It would be nice if the "bark delay" option went into negatives so you could opt to make it shorter as well as longer.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you aren't big on buffing, you should at least use the crusader/leper buffs that give them +20% protection. I don't know how protection works exactly, but basically every time I use it, they take 1 damage on hits until it wears off. Considering how much HP they have already, it basically makes them impossible to kill, unless they get a bunch of blight/bleed stacked up on them or something. A Leper/Crusader pair in your front ranks can shut down a lot of enemies that can't reach the back two.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pavlov posted:

This is actually something I like. It means you can't just grind low level instances with high level characters. You always have to risk something going out. Thinks stop being quite so expensive once you get some of the -price improvements too.

Yeah it's kind of annoying to have your favorite guy JUST outlevel an area and suddenly start refusing to go, but it makes sense as a way of preventing you from trivializing the game by just farming low level missions for tons of cash and heirlooms with a high level party. It also encourages you to keep a wider stable of heroes available so you can run missions at all levels. There's enough different classes that it's not like you can use them all in one party anyway, so it's a good way to experiment with ones you don't normally use, as well.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

Those are always your first two. They come with fixed skill. Your second two are always a Vestal and a Plague Doctor, but their moves are randomized, sort of easing you into how the game always hands you fresh recruits with random skills. After that it's about finding the right recruits you want to keep and grooming them while either padding parties with fodder or dismissing guys who are hopelessly insane.

If you follow the tutorial's advice and level up your stagecoach network with the stuff you got during the opening, you should be swimming in characters in no time.

You don't really need to create characters anyway, as once you unlock the guild hall (which is after like, 2 dungeon runs? It's pretty quick), you can learn any skills a character didn't start with. So the skills they start with randomly aren't that big a deal, although it saves you a bit of cash if they already happen to have the ones you want.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

I need to do some testing, but I hope they influence how people react to the various points of interest in the dungeons. Obsessed with knowledge sometimes means they will grab the pile of books without being prompted, but I wonder if it also affects the likely outcomes.

I don't think it has an impact on the outcomes, as I've had both bad and good stuff happen when one of my team decides to use a dungeon item on their own because of a quirk, at it seems to be at about the same rate as when I just use stuff normally.

All those quirks that are like "obsessed with sainthood" or whatever relate to that sort of thing. I'm guessing that various types of dungeon objects are tagged with particular attributes that identify them as "interesting" to people with particular quirks (like a corpse is probably tagged with "death", "blood", etc.), and then each time you pass one that has an attribute matching one of your party member's quirks, it does a random roll to see if they loot it automatically.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Eh, if people figure out how data is stored in the game it may lead to modding down the road so I say go for it.

It's not really a Roguelike anyway - I don't think you can actually "lose" the game. It costs nothing to get more recruits from the stagecoach, and it refills after every run, win or lose, so even after a total wipe you'll have more fresh recruits ready for another go, and although it's probably a bad idea to go into a dungeon without buying supplies, it's not mandatory, so you don't need some minimum amount of gold to make another run, either. There's also always going to be at least one level 1 mission available so you can't get in a situation where you have a team but nothing they can do.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dackel posted:

Camping early for the buffs is a really really good strategy actually

I really need to learn to do this. I've had so many medium length dungeon runs where I only camp by like the second to last room, and then only because I figure I might as well use it up before I'm done.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alabaster White posted:

Is there a quest that causes the "revive any one hero" town event to happen more commonly?

In other news, Dismas found his own head in a secret room. I'm gonna give it to him to carry around :haw:

When I did that he got killed pretty shortly afterwards so I feel like perhaps it was a bad omen.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

I'm really trying to get used to the game right now. Early on, should I just sell trinkets? If a hero is wearing them and dies is it gone?

Early on as well should my main goal just be to go on a mission, try to complete it or at least get out with more gold than I spent, and then what? Putting ALL my heroes into the stress relief stuff? Getting rid of red traits? It seems like an awful lot of money. What should I be focusing on instead?

Whether or not you should sell trinkets depends on how good the trinkets themselves are and how badly you need the cash. You should get yourself in the habit of selling them in general though, rather than hoarding them "just in case", because frankly you'll end up with a lot that you'll just never really need to use. If a hero is wearing one and dies, but it's not a total party wipe, then the trinkets they were wearing will show up in the post-battle loot. They are only lost forever if your party is entirely wiped out, or if you leave it behind in said post-battle loot.

Early on you should just dismiss heroes if they end up with lots of negative traits or just more stress than you care to pay to restore; heroes are free to recruit and it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend money to restore a level 0-1 hero back to full when anyone you hire to replace them will be just as good. You don't really need to bother spending money to get rid of red traits most of the time - even at high level. Most traits are fairly manageable and some of them don't even affect certain heroes at all (getting a "-X% melee damage" trait on an arbalest, for example).

The main thing you should be spending money on is skill levels at the guild (invest in level 2 skills ASAP. It will make a big difference), and weapons/armor at the blacksmith as a secondary thing. Eventually once you get used to the combat you'll end up being better at just minimizing stress damage taken in the first place so stress reduction will end up eating less of your income.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the main thing behind the new DLC is to give your "Never Again" vets something to do.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DO IT TO IT posted:

Should I wait a while before trying out the Farmstead for the first time? I'm on week 20 or so, I think. Just making sure if there are any overall effects on the town or anything else before I try it out.

No it's not like Crimson Court, you can do it whenever. The only effect the DLC has on the regular dungeons is the "Thing from the Stars" wandering boss, but there's an icon that warns you when you might encounter him in a dungeon so he's easy to avoid if you don't want to face him.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm guessing that the middle difficulty is the "normal" difficulty? I picked the first one on the list since I had no idea what I was doing yet and I feel like I've been allowed too many mistakes on early investments.

Yes, sort of. The difficulty is actually configurable in-game after starting (through the options menu). The middle one defaults to all the optional stuff toggled on while the lowest toggles a bunch of things off. The last difficulty adds an in-game time limit to beat the Darkest Dungeon and locks you out of the aforementioned post-start difficulty adjustments, but otherwise I think it's the same as the middle setting.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
They also don't get the "was at death's door" debuff when they're healed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iceclaw posted:

Never knew you could remove an affliction on the field! :aaa:
I thought you had to toss the bugger in the destress bin.

It's pretty difficult to do in practice because a lot of afflictions will make them randomly refuse stress heals, especially when camping.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Loel posted:

About to hit Apprentice Necromancer for the first time. Vestal / WD / Cru / Cru, level 2 toons and gear. Any advice before I go in?

Necromancer is pretty straightforward honestly - his main gimmick is that he keeps summoning more skellys so if you can handle the fights to get to him you can handle him just fine. The main thing to be aware of is that he'll do it every time he gets a turn so he can easily push himself to the back row - you might have trouble reaching him with two crusaders (although they might also be able to simply kill the summons faster than they pop up).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something I learned the hard way about the third act boss is that if you are relying on a MAA to tank, you should also have some way of quickly stripping off block tokens or just have a really DoT heavy party, because the boss is going to keep stealing them and while the MAA can hold out for a pretty long time, the extra tankiness the boss gets from all those tokens is going to slow the fight down enough that he'seventually going to manage to slip an observe in when you don't have any taunts left and one he starts marking other party members the fight is going to spiral out of control pretty quickly.

I had a party comp that was able to breeze through every lair boss except librarian (I think they could probably handle him okay too, I just never bothered trying him since I never needed to) of Occultist/Jester/MAA/Hellion, with the idea being laying down a lot of combo tokens and dealing huge amounts of direct damage, while the MAA just sits there tanking all the hits and the occultist throwing out the occasional heal on the rare occasion when one was needed, and that reliance on direct damage + no token removal really hurt on that boss even if they were able to handle phase 1 with no trouble.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 4, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah most of the information in this thread and online in general is out of date, it was changed very recently. The way to tell if a video about it is up to date is if the eyes start big.

The cannon is definitely still around, I ran into it while playing yesterday and I'm on the most recent version. It's just a pretty rare encounter.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hawgh posted:

The design decision to have bosses benefit from Death's Door can go ahead and gently caress itself right up the rear end.

Yeah I'm not a fan of that mechanic though thankfully they were fairly restrained with it and most of the harder bosses actually don't have it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
A thing I noticed about DD2 and its bosses is that it really seems to favour party comps that can poo poo out a lot of damage really quickly rather than ones that are built for sustain. Healing is less of an issue than it was in DD1 because you get free healing between nodes and a lot of the bosses really just cannot be healed through because of the amount of full-party attacks they love to spam. So there are some fights that might be really difficult if you go in with a balanced party that end up being surprisingly easy if you're built to maximize damage output.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Not sure what took me so long but I'm finally getting around to playing DD1 and it's got its hooks in me. I'm a complete newcomer to the game/series and still figuring out all the mechanics but I'm having a blast.

A few questions -

Is grinding a thing? Do enemies scale? Can I powerlevel some of my folks to make bosses/subsequent runs any easier?

Early on, I'm running extremely short on deeds to upgrade the hamlet. Aside from converting other heirlooms at a loss, what's the quickest way to farm them?

Despite my best judgment I'm playing with all DLC enabled despite the warning about Crimson Court being for more experienced players. Is there any harm in putting the DLC missions off until my parties are stronger?

Which quirks (and diseases) definitely need to be removed? Which quirks definitely need to be made permanent?

Are there any other mid-battle abilities that remove stress other than the Jester's skill? So far stress management has been the most difficult aspect of the game and I doubt that'll change much.

Any upgrades (skills, weapons, upgrades, hamlet buildings, districts) that should be rushed?

Any other beginner TIPS AND TRICKS are appreciated.

Grinding is a thing but there is a limit - as mentioned people will refuse to enter dungeons that are too easy for them, and the overall level cap is 6 which is only one level above the minimum requirement to enter hard dungeons. There's also no point in grinding past the maximum level you've upgraded your guild/blacksmith to. The weapon/skill upgrades are where the majority of benefits of levelling up come from so levelling beyond what you can supply won't really help you.

There's not really an easy way to farm any specific heirloom, they drop more or less equally from every dungeon, but the Weald is more likely to offer deeds as a quest completion reward, and heirloom chests in general are more common in the ruins. Using a key on them gets you the most stuff.

If you haven't touched the DLC missions at all yet, then there's not a huge issue. Before you activate the Crimson Court DLC by doing the first mission, all it does is make the "The Town is Abuzz" event happen pretty much constantly (some special events will override it but otherwise it'll just be active all the time), which is annoying but not a huge deal. Once you have done the first CC mission though, it creates an infestation clock where the longer you go without dealing with a court boss, the more court enemies will spawn in regular missions, which in turn will lead to more of your people getting the crimson curse and a need to keep them supplied with the blood to avoid having them die from it. Killing a court boss will cure everyone of the curse and reset the infestation clock but the only way to remove it completely is to complete the DLC by killing the countess. The Farmstead is less of a big deal and just sits there not doing anything; it's basically just an endless combat mode and is completely optional.

Generally quirks you want removed ASAP are anything that will make people act outside of your control. Kleptomaniac is an awful one because you lose loot to it, Imposter Syndrome is also awful because it's a 1/25 chance to just skip their turn in combat. A few others are situational where they'll be really bad on some characters but totally harmless on others, things like -acc to ranged skills for example don't matter on the Hellion who is all melee but are pretty bad on Arbalest. Those ones can actually be positive in a way for the characters they don't impact because when they lock in they'll take up a slot that might otherwise go to a worse quirk. As for diseases, you pretty much just want to remove all of them. It's not very expensive to do so and they're almost all downsides (rabies is an exception where it gives a damage buff in exchange for an accuracy penalty and there are some gimmick builds based around it but even then you're usually better off just curing it).

For quirks you want to lock in, in general anything that gives +acc and +speed is good, unless you're doing a specific party comp that requires people to act in a particular order and so you deliberately want someone to be slower than the others. Hippocratic is also very good on healers. Locking positive quirks in is very expensive to do in the early game though and not really worth it - what you want to do is keep an eye out for missions that will give you the "Caregivers Convention" or "Town Fair" town events (I'm not sure if there are any for the latter but the former comes up fairly regularly), both of which will make the sanitarium free. An important tip is that you can also lock in a positive trait and remove a negative trait at the same time, so when it's all free there's no reason not to do both at once.

There are a few other combat stress removers but the Jester is far and away the best at it. The Crusader has a decent one that has the major advantage of being usable from any rank and also gives some bonus torch along with it. The houndmaster and arbalest/musketeer have ones that affect the whole party at once but aren't reliable (it's a % chance per party member).

As mentioned earlier, the guild/blacksmith are your priorities to upgrade. They both serve as an effective level cap in how strong your party can get so you want to have those upgrades keep pace with the average level of your heroes. Upgrading the stagecoach to bring in 4 new people each week can also be helpful because it means that "just throw a bunch of chumps into a beginner dungeon with zero supplies to grab whatever loot they can" is always an option if you find yourself low on cash, but upgrading it beyond that isn't a big deal. Upgrading the number of slots in the sanitarium can be useful if you want to get maximum use out of the town events I mentioned earlier, but also more of a "nice to have" than anything else. Stress relief buildings are the lowest priority upgrade - you really want to try to mitigate stress in the dungeons themselves rather than having everyone come back a broken wreck every time and spending a lot of money getting them back into fighting shape. Early on it can be more useful to just dismiss people who are too broken rather than trying to fix them up again.

General tips and tricks:
-Stuns are your friend. Controlling the action economy is the key to doing well in this game. A lot of people underestimate them because it feels like you're just trading one of your turns for one of theirs, but in general minimizing the number of actions the enemies can take will serve you more in the long run. You can kind of think of it like proactive healing - if that enemy would have dealt 20 damage to you with their attack, that's functionally 20 damage you just healed with a single move, not to mention mitigating whatever stress or other secondary effects they might have on their attacks.
-In general, backline enemies are more of a threat than frontline ones, so you really want to have at least a few people who can reach back there. The Hellion is great at this, as is the Plague Doctor. Yanking them into the front lines with an Occultist or Bounty Hunter is also an option, but bear in mind a lot of backline enemies have moves that will push them back again so it's hard to permanently disrupt their formation.
-Speaking of stuns and the Occultist, put the Occultist in the 2nd rank. I know he feels like a backline unit but his stun is one of the best in the game, with a 10% higher base chance than other stuns and he also gets a unique class trinket that adds 30% more to his stun chance and a different unique class trinket that gives another 20%, making stunning an enemy for two turns in a row actually viable.
-The lower tier gems (citrines/jade) are actually wasted space. A full stack of citrines is straight up worth less than a full stack of gold, and a full stack of jade is worth only slightly more and finding enough to make a full stack is a lot less likely than finding gold.
-You can't be surprised by the enemy on tiles/rooms you've scouted. It's okay to let your torch drop a bit to score some extra loot if you have scouting on the area ahead (although you want to be wary of the increased crit rate and stress, and letting it drop to zero is very risky because it makes random Shambler encounters possible).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 4, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Do enemies know a specific party member is wearing a +stress trinket? Sure seemed like it. Makes me think +stress trinkets aren’t worth it, even with the big bonuses they provide.

I don't think the AI considers stat buffs/debuffs you have but there are some stress causing enemies whose AI tends to "pile on" rather than being purely random - i.e. they'll target the person in the group who already has the highest stress. So it's less that they're targeting people with +stress trinkets and more having a +stress trinket makes that person more likely to be the most stressed person in the party. This can kind of work in your favour if you have a jester in the group since the jester's stress heal is not only a very strong single target stress heal but also gives stress resist as a buff, so if they keep trying to pile on to that same target it'll cause less and less stress each turn.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah in general you want to stay away from champion dungeons until you have the guild/blacksmith maxed out. You're at a significant handicap if you can't max out your heroes. Once you do have them with all their gear/skills maxed out though they aren't actually that much harder, the same tactics that got you through the veteran dungeons will still work.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One big thing for party comp flexibility is that healing is not the mandatory thing it was in DD1. In-combat healing itself is generally less effective than the first game and you get automatic recovery outside of combat so attrition is less of a problem (it's not instant though so hitting a bunch of battles in a row can be a problem). There are still party comps that are going to be a lot easier/stronger than others so it's not a total "you can just run with whatever and make it work" thing but it's less restrictive than it used to be.

Although on the other side of things, I have seen some people complain that maybe too many party comps are viable because a common thing people tend to do is just run with the four starting heroes and never even bother unlocking any others since it turns out those four are good enough. There is a bit of a need to experiment just for the sake of experimentation, the game doesn't really push you as hard to find the "right" builds.

RVWinkle posted:

Along that same line, I think the Leper is the worst champion. His inability to hit the back row really limits his utility in quite a few boss battles.

Leper is hard to use but can be pretty drat broken if you build your party around him. Especially if you get lucky with trinkets and get that one that gives +66% crit rate if the hero is blinded - stick that on a leper and pair him with someone who can apply combo so he can ignore the miss chance and watch him poo poo out absurd damage.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 12, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

The flagellant. lol.

Seems fair enough, there are health concerns there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Dreaming General is the easiest stage boss IMO once you're wise to his schtick. By way of comparison, I think LIbrarian isn't that bad but is the hardest if you have the wrong team composition. Both want you to be able to hit the back row, Librarian wants you to actually damage the back row.

This is kind of true for all the bosses really - some of them are absolute nightmares with the wrong team comp but total pushovers for others. Some team comps can clear all of them without problems at all.