Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

To continue the X-Com comparisons, leveling up in X-com means new abilities, some of which are clutch or class defining. In DD, leveling up is opening up a +5 accuracy to a skill and maybe a few points of damage/healing at the guild/blacksmith.

If class features (the part of the character sheet that doesn't appear to be used yet) has a feature list for each resolve rank, perhaps those abilities can do something to change this. They'd have to completely change their advancement system to make it more X-Com at this point, and I wouldn't really want them to, but you do need something remarkable at each level to make that level feel like a triumph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Old x-com also let you field, like, a dozen guys even in a small strike force, so them being more subtly distinguishable by their modest stats wasn't a problem because you had lots of people to worry about and too much complexity can be frustrating.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I thought about that. I think a better way to do it would be to have the monsters slowly get stronger and stronger each week -- like they start out a little week and just gain a hit point a week, an Attack point a month, etc., across the board. Never quite a fail state but time is always pressing.

I agree with this. Let monsters level up in small ways week to week, indicated with an aura or making the upgraded numbers pulse with malicious intent.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

I sent an entire team of Level 3 Crusaders against the Necromancer (2/3), all with Holy Lance and Inspiring Cry, and they came out with less stress than they had going in. I feel like I kinda cheated.

I felt the same when I went after the hag with 3 hellions. Some party combinations are positively unfair, and are one reason I want a variety of minibosses that can be thrown into a dungeon to challenge the parties that would otherwise trivialize bosses. Like, if you had something with high stun and bleed resistance, like an ent, to guard the Hag, then a team that is designed to bleed the hag to death on her own turn, punishing her multiple actions gimmick, they first have to beat something that can't be beaten that way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, my PD heals for 1 even though the indicator says 2-3, so it seems like it's bugged.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Allaniis posted:

Just don't bring her into the Warrens, like I did. Big mistake.

I still feel like she isn't good. I'm not a huge fan of Blight anyway. It always feels like I'm missing something when I use her.

Yeah, I don't use her blight attacks that much. I mostly use her for control and battle buffs, stunning the back and buffing front line attackers for faster kills. But if you upgrade her tools her base damage is not bad for when you just need to lay in some hurt--about where a Jester's bleed attacks are.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My jester just won an ancestral trinket while gambling. :stare:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If you have an exploration quest, does a room count as explored if you go in, there's a fight, and you bail on it? Or do you have to finish the fight for the room to count as visited?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Dackel posted:

Speed helps, but initiative for every round is basically speed + RNG. I have a feeling the start of fights usually favour the player, but that might just be conjecture

I've usually been beaten on initiative pretty consitently unless my SPD stat is sitting somewhere like 6 or 7 and above, and then I consistently go first every round.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Now that I've maxed the trinket lady, I'm getting ancestral trinkets in her stock for cheap basically every week. Some of them aren't worth it, but there are some super good'uns in there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I like intimidate for its debuff to accuracy as well as its pushback, but it is situational.

Anatharon posted:

Leper would really benefit from some kind of taunt skill.

IMO a big thing that would help the game would be adding skills that helped let you control the fight. That lets them make enemies stronger too and more dangerous to be careless around.

A taunt that marks and shuffles/pulls would make a great leper skill, even if it did no damage. Make it mark the leper so he becomes the primary target (if that behavior actually works) as well as pulling the target into his range. A debut would be gravy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Dackel posted:

She does, acc+dodge. You stack them all on a Leper with rabies!

I've been trying to get Rabies on my best Leper for exactly this reason. Hell, at the moment he does his self buff, then the BH buff and then he basically can't miss even after his penalty from Revenge. His damage is phenomenal.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Mignola is kind of the king of style so anything that draws inspiration from his years of work is bound to pick it up too.

Check out Mignola's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser comics if you can find them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Seems to me like you should be able to lock a max of four quirks just like you can only have four active combat abilities and four active camp skills. You could put check boxes next to quirks on the character sheet to pick the ones you want to hold on to, or make that a function of the sanitarium.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think they promised a backer- exclusive class (before they realized that was kind of a bad idea--it'll probably get general release as add-on dlc later, who knows) which I think is the Merchant, and a backer-designed class which I haven't seen anything announced about.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Oh, like maybe Beardy-Crusader? Beardsader?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Wait, so what's bonkers about Bounty Hunter now? Did I miss something?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So are there any abilities or enemies that use corpses, like explosions or causing a new, different enemy to spawn out of it, or revive it? Do player characters leave corpses?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Didn't they reduce enemy resistance to DoTs in general as well?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Heretic sounds loving sweet, not gonna lie.

That's what I voted for, but man do I want the Musketeer and Witch as well. Honestly, as a backer, I want all three of those to happen and be available for everyone. I hope they release a survey asking backers of the exclusive variant if they want to share with everyone (maybe for piddly money as cosmetic DLC or something) and that other backers vote sure.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It'd be awesome to have variants of every class as DLC, yeah.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Abomination is the kickstarter designed class, but will be available to everyone. The exclusive class will be a reskin of the occultist (witch), crusader (heretic), or highwayman.

As I recall there's also a reskinned arbalest option. Not sure what's won the vote if any yet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Cool, did not know this.

Also, I learned the other day that you can't put two of the same trinket on characters anymore........ after I unequipped two highwayman belts from my top highwayman. :negative:

So no double (triple?) mask Lepers?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Iron Chitlin posted:

I'm guessing Cage Ghost is The Collector. Personally I'm hoping they are mini bosses in the same vein as the Shambler.

It'd be kind of cool if there was a boss that could give you lost characters back if you beat him. The Collector sounds like a great opportunity. After you lose someone and they go to the graveyard, he can spawn, and if you beat him, you can get someone back from the graveyard. But he's tough, so you might lose more people in the attempt. How much does Dismas mean to you?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Coolguye posted:

They've already said that retreat is not an option in the Darkest Dungeon. So yes, it will be different in that respect.

I would have to imagine that a dungeon with a no retreat aspect is going to have to be a single big expedition: You go there to beat the game rather than to collect loot and treasure. You can throw a party in there and lose them, but once they're in they're not coming out until the game is over, so you just fill your inventory with all the stuff you might need and don't bother collecting treasure.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I started a new game now that the game is officially out and every party I fielded was getting ruined until I took Occultist/Arbalest/Houndmaster/Man-at-Arms and they started clearing multiple dungeons in a row without needing to take time off for stress relief because stuff that dealt stress damage was dead before it got a turn.

Normal Adult Human posted:

you're just in the pocket of Big Hound.

I was so happy with my Houndmaster's performance I sprung for a Very Rare trinket in the nomad shop the week it unlocked. I threw a few fools into the Warrens to recoup the losses, and called it fair.

In fact, it was kind of funny--I sent a PD, GR, Abomination and Jester in that group without caring if they lived or died, but they actually had a good bit of synergy with the various move forward/move back abilities the latter three were packing. And then, in the final battle, the abomination got crit for 19 damage, losing all his health and falling to death's door, stressed out, rolled a virtue, and immediately died to blight on his turn. He was my first and only guy to die so far.

The sight of him being all heroic like "We shall overcome!" and then immediately falling over dead was hilarious.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Do we know if there are any plans to release some more alternative skins for classes? Sight unseen, I really wanted that Heretic skin for the Crusader that lost out to the...Musketeer I think it was? I would be willing to pay a little extra for some of those sort of things if they released a pack or something.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Afraid of Audio posted:

corpses are really good for back row hitters

this. My occultists and PDs love corpses, and it's nice for my Man At Arms to be able to knock front row hitters behind some corpses where they're useless.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I just got forty deeds from a level 1 medium run what's the problem?

I did the same and got four.

It was honestly a weird run. Every bag was looted, every crate was empty. There was simply nothing to get. It didn't even have many fights.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Google King Baldwin.
One time I had a hunger event immediately following a (late) camp where I'd used up all my remaining food with only like a room or two left.

Hunger just being some random event instead of an invisible meter is obnoxious.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If you bring herbs into the Weald you almost don't have to bring any food because there are so many corpses you can turn into good eats.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Why? I'm pretty sure I did and it went fine?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I got a Fated Leper I'm itching to try out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

There's 1 max (and short dungeons don't have any, so don't even bother.)

I'm still confused on how secret rooms work. I did a run where I got the tooltip that said "click on the star tile!" and there wasn't one? I have never seen one since.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I have two houndmasters now. I'm gonna walk the dogs tonight.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I noticed that the guy who made a lot of titty classes like the Tusk and Fawn came out with a sfw version recently, so that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is there a guide to making custom classes or making alternate takes on classes? I remember back during the kickstarter they had a vote that gave us the musketeer, but I remember they had an alternate crusader I wanted to see. That and a couple of other ideas makes me want to try.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 21, 2018