Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
EA was included in the $20 tier for backers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Yesssss, udate includes a mac build that seems to work.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
First casualty: RIP my plague doctor, eaten by a wizened hag.

The higher-level dungeons are _much_ harder than the starting ones. I've gotten pretty efficient at wrecking the easy levels, but my team of level 3 dudes got stress-wrecked really fast in a medium dungeon. Time for some prayer/whoring, I guess.

Playing easy dungeons makes status effects seem really strong, but after going through a dungeon and seeing no resist below 45% means I'm going to need to rethink my priorities. I actually ran into accuracy problems, so I guess my guild+skills are underleveled. It's really not that hard to level some dudes to 3 without having enough goods to upgrade them to their potential (gold issues aside).

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Firstborn posted:

E: I read that if your dude leaves on a holy vision, they will come back next week. Or should.
I can confirm this, as I had this 'leave on a quest' thing happen twice in a row, and they both came back after a week of being away.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think it was on the order of 600-700 megs, nothing huge.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The game does have a really strong RNG factor, but you are given the tools to mitigate it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm.

Those of you who run with Occultist as primary/only healer, how do you deal with the whole Death's Door problem? It seems like the Occultist just can't save people from blight/bleed impending doom the way the Vestal can.

Honestly, I've been able to mostly avoid having anyone at DD, either through proactive healing/camping/bandages/antivenom, or through murder (occultist plus bounty hunter is sooo metal). Out of 20 or so missions I can count the number of death's doors on one hand (two or three times during bossfights, once a crit for 36 or so, and like once more maybe).

Grave robbers seem better in combat than plague doctors once you can't rely on stunlock. Lunge is a strong skill, and then you can reposition with fade into shadow and have crazy DODGE.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Also, if you have good bleed resist due to trinkets/levels, then the occult heal becomes even better.
I stock up on the +blight and +bleed resist items whose only downside is -disease resist. I don't even know how diseases work, and half-think they haven't been implemented yet. Is it just something that's not as relevant until you're either doing lvl5 runs or low-light runs?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I'm pretty sure it's chance to get negative quirks like Lockjaw or whatever.

OK, I guess my heroes are all a mess of negative quirks anyway. (Rabies in particular is not all downside!)

My hellion simultaneously had THREE of the 'will only do X in town' traits, so when it came time for stress relief it took multiple sanatarium trips. Two of my other heroes had two such traits as well...

e:

HogX posted:

Okay I've put a couple hours into this, and I really like it, although I haven't beaten the necromancer yet. The sheer amount that you miss, and the amount that enemies dodge/resist is INCREDIBLY frustrating. Especially if you went to look a book stack and it drove your guy completely mad, who in turn drove everyone else mad. poo poo needs balancing.

Rule one of Lovecraft setting is don't read books! Books are bad for you! I think the necromancer is mostly a matter of statting up your party so that they don't get overwhelmed by spawns. Alternatively, you could build a party around back attacks, along the lines of what you need to do for the hag.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 4, 2015

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think your accuracy also suffers in low light conditions. I'm not sure because I stay in 76%-100% basically always (some night ambushes are the exception), since the game is so much more punishing in low light.

If I recall correctly, the two times I really really suffered for accuracy were a) the first quest I did without bringing enough torches and b) the first level 3 quest I did, which was before I had any skill above level 2 due to lack of deeds.

E: I'm now tempted to try a no-torches game. If you massacre disposable lvl 0's you might be able to get enough gold to push an A-team through a no-light dungeon.

E2: I'll also note that I have two copies of the relic that gives dodge and protection for light on 75, so there's even more of an incentive to stack torches.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 4, 2015

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
How much time do you spend having the Jester heal stress? The one thing that really sells me on high-light is the additional stress multiplier. (scouting and surprise attacks also help)

I don't know if my playstyle would benefit from extra loot, frankly, since for medium+ dungeons I'm constantly running out of inventory space. I just did a large dungeon and basically the whole inventory was fat stacks. Does low-light increase the chance of rarer/better relic drops?

e: I've already seen the moon relic, and I trashed it since I was out of space and did not see myself using it on that save file.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Doesn't the discount apply? I think you could get it down to 500g or 600g, eventually.

It's not like every character needs every skill, anyway.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Maybe the kleptomaniac just stole EVERYTHING? :v:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there ever any actual reason to discard a trinket?

Out of trinket space?

Does anyone know what happens when your trinket box is full and you get one from finishing a quest? Does it give you a "discard" screen akin to being overburdened in a dungeon? Or does it automatically overwrite like it does with quirks?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I have definitely seen some stats not update properly (buying armor), so somehow the game might have not removed debuffs from stress?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The blight/bleed cure is useful if you're not rolling with tons of bandages & antivenoms, also.

I agree that a buff is in order.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think the Sanitarium is likely buggy right now (I think it would be cool if the Sanitarium had a 10-20% or so chance to do something unexpected).

I've definitely had traits other than the ones selected removed (but not consistently).

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Hope you have Iron Swan on that hellion!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Apple2o posted:

drat. The difficulty jump from doing primarily short/medium level 1 dungeons to medium/long level 3 dungeons is pretty huge. My immobile stun-lock based comp got wrecked within like 3 fights.
Get used to enemies with higher resistances. I found myself shifting from a stun-based strategy to a DPS-centric one in a hurry. Once enough upgrades rolled in, it gets more reasonable.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone have advice for the swamp Hag? Kind of stumped as to how to beat her.

Try to focus fire on the Hag instead of the pot. Also, go into the fight with some good attacks that hit either of the back two rows, eg Hellion's Iron Swan. Be prepared for the pot to mix up your party order, and have some healing ready for when somebody exits the pot at Death's Door.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Weald has deeds, which are the paper icon. Warrens is portraits. Cove will have both, when it is implemented.

e: My main run is getting close to not really needing anything more in terms of heirlooms. I think it'll really cut down on the item discarding I'm currently doing on longer runs.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think they're thematically going for the sort of tension you get with attrition and managing health as a long-term resource, though.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

I'm wondering if my save is bugged, since I've never seen anything other than both a positive and a negative quirk for each and every character for 27ish missions in a row.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think relics are your only real bet. I found some green boots that increased it, but discarded them.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
So an occultist + multiple bounty hunters is crazy. I just cut down the Swine King in two rounds (wilbur took 2 more but w/e). Once you've got a large cushion of gold you can make this game pretty easy. I expect that I'll finish the last two bosses and then either take a break or start playing from scratch with a handicap. I guess I haven't played with a leper at all or the jester past lvl 1.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Sickening posted:

Who else is cheating the game by making a copy of the save folder before you do something hard?
I was making backups to hedge against corruption, and once reloaded because I forgot to buy torches.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I also just finished off the ninth boss, and have nothing in particular to do with my heroes but grind maybe?

The game suffers from a victory spiral, where once you're doing well it's easy to continue doing well, and the 'oh poo poo' moments become less and less frequent.

Time for a break, Steam says I've taken 28 hours so far (some were lost early on to a corrupted save, but more than twenty for the current file).

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
In my experience, the boss reward chests don't upgrade with supply items.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
^^^^^^^Some stress relief carries a risk of temporarily going away. He should be back in a week's time.

cyanidewolf posted:

I've been carrying level 0 guys through level 5 missions with 3 appropriate level dudes. Never managed to complete a dungeon without the level 0 going insane though, as they seem to start with +50 stress.

I guess that's still reasonably efficient for rapid advancement. Makes me feel like a sucker for doing quests with appropriate-leveled characters only.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
You get an overfull roster, with no bad consequences, according to the experience of people in this thread.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Also how the gently caress does Prot even work. The 20% prot self-buff that Crusader and Leper have makes them take 1 damage from pretty much everything instead of the usual 4-7, so that's way better than I expected.
My theory (not tested at all) is that it gives invisible 'extra' HP that are removed (but for 1) instead of normal hp. The % would then be out of total health, I would expect.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I remembered having some trouble with only level 1 skills, but I think you don't need to be fully upgraded to stand a chance.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

HBNRW posted:

If there's an in fight attempt to run mechanic, I would like to know what it is. This game is fun when it's fun. but it's stupid when the RNG decides it hates you.
There's a little red retreat flag in the upper left corner of the map, if I recall correctly.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Sex Beef 2.0 posted:

So what does the "ranged" quantifier mean? Every position other than the front, back two positions, or farthest back only?
Every attack skill has a designation as 'melee' or 'ranged'. You can have melee attacks from back rows (eg breakthru or holy lance) and ranged attacks from the front row (eg point blank shot).

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Aidopunko posted:

So, in the mission select screen, what's the significance of the level bar and number that seems to go up as you do more missions?

I've killed the Apprentice Necromancer so when i mouse over that bar it says to clear a path to the boss. I'm assuming that when i do that number will become a 3. Do the dungeons get progressively harder independent of the mission difficulty? Also, is there any time pressures, or can you just keep doing missions for 100 weeks or something.
Once that bar fills, the next Ruins boss (vanilla Necromancer) will appear. I don't think it has any actual effect, though.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Rayjenkins posted:

I think it'd be pretty cool to have every class be either male or female, but that requires a bit of extra work, so I wouldn't hold out hope.
I'm pretty confident this is not going to happen, it comes upon frequently on the steam forums and every time the one artist they have notes that it would be an very large amount of extra work for him and the animator.

e: i guess it hasn't come up for a while, but here is an example.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 22, 2015

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I want to play the Cove so badly just to see all the monsters that will be in it.

I want to play the Darkest Dungeon and have things go awfully wrong every single time.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
They say that the Darkest Dungeon won't show up until the 1.0 release. They did clarify that it's not a 'characters will never return' thing, but rather a 'characters cannot retreat' thing, which I think is reasonable.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I remember that it was fairly rough (but doable) with level 3 adventurers, level 1 guild, and level 2 blacksmith. I did similar town upgrades to you, so I can't really speak to the other priorities.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
As far as I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Now that it's finally been released, I can return.
First things first, time to sacrifice a lvl 0-1 party to the Darkest Dungeon. (gained achievement: total party wipe)

Initial thoughts on my return: I like the corpse mechanic. It seems to let back-row-targeting attacks stay more relevant at the end of a fight, and it adds an extra layer of hassle to neutering ranged enemies by eliminating the front row.
I'm not surprised at all that scrubs freaked out about heart attacks and corpses. When I played in the early access days there were a lot of cheesy strats that were so degenerate as to require patching out. I'm especially happy at the fix to stunspam.
Things seem to be a little tighter for unupgraded parties at lvl 0-1 than I remember, but with upgrades you can tear through the easy dungeons same as always.
I'm happy that you get a little gold back for superfluous supplies, since my strategy has gravitated towards 'pack as much as you can'