Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

So I'm a bit confused here. Is the game semi-sandbox in that you can pick and choose what to do, upgrade the town etc etc, or is it more linear than that? I can't seem to find a particularly clear explanation for how a normal game progresses.

It seems pretty sandboxy. You have 4 (currently three) dungeons which you dispatch parties to to farm resources which you spend in the down to upgrade your facilities. Do enough missions in a dungeon and a boss raid opens up. I presume that once all of the bosses are dead (three per dungeon according the goal checklist you get) the final 'darkest dungeon' opens.

This is just from a few hours play though. There could be bottleneck or plot missions later on, similar to x-com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Eonwe posted:

so every stream I've watched, they walk into two rooms and are at 100 stress

how are you supposed to get through these dungeons below 100 stress?

Take 8 torches for a short dungeon and 12+ for the longer ones. Never let the light go below two bars. Always focus fire on enemies with stress-inflicting attacks above anything else. Female cultists and skeleton courtiers are your worst enemy.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Razakai posted:

I usually never buy early access, but this is tempting. How buggy/unpolished does the game feel currently? It looks great but I'm expecting there to be some major fuckups considering it's early access.

Fells almost completely done, just a bit poorly balanced and lacking the last third of the game.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
They're probably going to have to make major changes if they want people to invest in their heroes and keep the tension up. Right now it seems like the only finite resource is the player's patience - you can potentially just through wave after wave of redshirts at the dungeons until they crack or you do.

The alternative would be to reduce the effects of stress, introduce a hiring/firing cost and maybe introduce an x-com style campaign health bar. Something like 'town stress' or 'heir stress' which creeps up when you fail a mission or face insolvency until 'you' the project manager automatically decide that the estate is not your problem.

I've just realised that the player character's family name is 'Darkest'. It's right there in the names; the Darkest Dungeon underneath the Darkest Estate. That's the family name you're trying to redeem.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 3, 2015

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Question for those who've got that far - are the bosses distinct or are they palette swaps/buffed versions of each other? I was a bit dubious when I saw 'Apprentice Necromancer - Necromancer - Master Necromancer'.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Although I don't think it's been clarified if the Darkest Dungeon will work like the others do, with random missions. It could be a fixed set of special endgame missions or something similar.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
For the houndmaster, I'm guessing that he'll release the dog at the start of each fight and it'll then act by itself while he fights with a standard sword. His abilities could be different orders for the dog to start off with (focus this monster, protect this party member, strike randomly) and then it goes over to AI control, essentially making it a buff/debuff.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I've heard Clever mean Crafty, but to my British ears it sounds pre-modern. It's a usage that characters in over period fiction would say.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Doctor Schnabel posted:

yeah that dudes busy writing bizarre cling wrap erotica now...

You cannot leave it at that.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

It would be cool if faithless let religious heroes join a party with the abomination. It's sorta OP but I love little details like that from traits.

The dev's have just said they're considering it over at Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Panfilo posted:

I'd really like to think the Abomination is the experiments the Ancestor did with pigs taken to its logical conclusion.

Also my guess is that the Ancestor lured you to the hamlet to carry out whatever part of the process needs to be done to open the portal. Things didn't work out for any of his friends or colleagues, I don't think he would be any different for families.

He admits at one point that he killed himself to avoid being lynched by the villagers, not out of guilt. He's definitely up to no good.