Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Who needs dodging anyway when you're sitting on 60Hp and get hit for 2-4 by any attack :smug:

Fun game so far. Can be infuriatingly random at times, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Jester absolutely owns when you upgrade his buff a couple of times. I killed the tier2 necromancer without going below 80% hp on any of my characters, and I don't think the skeletons got a single hit off. Crits everywhere.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This bug with the Sanitarium not removing the proper trait is annoying. I've spent three weeks now trying to get Lockjaw off my Crusader.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kyrosiris posted:

Is it actually a bug? I was under the impression that there was a non-zero chance of the wrong debuff being removed.

Then it really should at least comment on it or mention it anywhere, because as it stands it sure seems like a bug.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Magitek posted:

A shame about the class restriction. That thing would be totally bonkers on a Hellion.

Yeah, that's probably why it has a class restriction. The bleed buff is actually a downside, so it looks better than it is.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You have to click on the skill you want removed. It defaults to the top of the list, and is not random. You put guy in, you select skill you want removed, buy. So if you have 4 traits in the list that are negative and Lockjaw isn't the top one listed it's going to default to the top of the list one first.

Of course, I know that you have to actually select the skill you want to remove, but sometimes it just removes the top skill no matter if you chose another one or not.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You know, I'm having a lot of fun with this game at the moment, but I'm a bit worried about the longevity of it.
Every dungeon is very similar to any other, all the loot you find is fairly generic, and since you can just pick and choose abilities for all your guys, every game is going to end up being relatively same-y. I'm not really seeing any attachment to any of my characters either, since they are all basically the same.

We'll see how it ends up being when the game is fully finished and released, but as it stands, I'm not really seeing a reason to play the game over again once you've finished it once.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 4, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Apple2o posted:

drat I just got my A-team wrecked by the swine prince. I thought he would stop enraged smashing everyone if I just finished off the little one really quick. He delivered 3 deathblows in one turn.

Well, if it helps, once you realize you should just let the little poo poo live until you've finished off the big guy himself, he's probably the easiest of them all.

ZeusJupitar posted:

Question for those who've got that far - are the bosses distinct or are they palette swaps/buffed versions of each other? I was a bit dubious when I saw 'Apprentice Necromancer - Necromancer - Master Necromancer'.

I've done the tier 1 and tier 2 versions of the three bosses in the game at the moment, and I didn't notice any difference other than them having more HP and doing more damage. I'm not even sure if they had any new abilities.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 5, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

VoLaTiLe posted:

So my best Battlemage priest healer girl decided to go on a quest of enlightenment after praying in the Chapel.

Problem is she's now disappeared from my roster.

Please don't tell me shes gone forever was my most legendary character ?!

Does anyone know if this is a thing :negative:

Don't worry, she'll likely be back in a week or two. Just keep an open spot in your roster for her.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Wegee posted:

So what makes the Jester good? He's the only character I look at and just don't see it.

Great buffer, insane crit and dodge at higher levels.

Edit: Also, remember that his buffs stack.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Haha, my highwayman went stoic(or something similar) at 100 stress instead of going insane, and spent the rest of the dungeon telling everyone in my party what a great bunch of folks they were, and that if the group made it out alive he'd split his earnings with them.

He also got a pretty insane buff from it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Huh, hadn't seen this quirk before. I wonder if there are other rare quirks out there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

If this thing stacks with itself you'll have someone with 97% deathblow resistance sitting around hitting for +30% damage and +10% crit. 107% if you give it to someone with unyielding. Seems pretty insane.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Slaapaav posted:

they need to improve the plague doctor because he doesnt really play well unless hes against enemies weak against blight and even then he feels really borderline unless you are doing lovely stunlock parties

You can get some pretty nice blight debuffs stacks doing if you equip them with a couple of +blight% trinkets.

Then again, my bounty hunter just crit a marked dude for 68 damage, so I'm not so sure anymore...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I honestly don't,t think the game is that random. Nine times out of ten people complaining about random are making basic tactical errors like letting their torch drop etc. The tenth time they got surprised and critter and deathblow bled on the first round, but that's rare.

This game IS random as hell. The entire gameplay is based around "Making the best of a bad situation" aka setting things straight when the RNG fucks you up big time. I'd honestly say the randomness is a bigger factor than it is in FTL, at least in the beginning. When you get going to level 3-4 (Can't speak for level 5 dungeons) it's easier to strategise, although you'll still get the "All enemies crit on AoE's during the first round, and now two party members are bleeding at death's door" every now and then.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I'm not a big fan of any part of the item/equipment system, either. Armor and Weapons are just generic +1s that you buy in town which diminishes the characters' ability to be unique and separate from one another.

The Relic system is really bad. I only have one character that uses Relics, there are some without negative effects but even then the benefit is minor and unnecessary, so I don't bother spending the time to look at what they do anymore and actively avoid looting them. They're just so boring, none of the choices are meaningful and they're poorly designed with no build synergy. The ones that provide a benefit under one light condition and a negative under the opposite are particularly puzzling, because when have you ever struggled with light? I'm sure I could make my party slightly more effective by poring over relics but I don't see a point since the combat is already easy once you get the hang of it.

The positive effects are usually slightly better than the drawbacks, so if you find a relic with, say, +20 dodge, -10% damage, and another one with +12% damage, -5 dodge, you can get an overall positive out of it.
A lot of them are not worth the hassle though.

Also yeah, I feel like the generic equipment system really drags the game down a bit.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 5, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Just give me more ways that my characters can get hosed up and die. I was expecting to climb over a mountain of bodies and broken souls to get where I'm at, not have 8 dead level 0 adventurers in my graveyard.

I'm doing level 3 dungeons at the moment, and my adventurers barely ever get knocked down to Death's door, and I haven't had anyone reach 100 stress in like 20 dungeons. The only character I've lost was to the first hag, and I haven' even gotten close to losing anyone else. The balance is definitely in a weird place right now, but fortunately that's something that can change until release.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargghhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm running dual those on my Crusader, 110% bleed, blight, and disease resist. :smug:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There doesn't seem to be any point in levelling your heroes to level 5 or 6. You can buy the best equipment and skills at level 4, and when you're level 4 you can do level 5 dungeons without characters complaining(taking more stress damage).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
OK, this is really annoying:

I don't have any level 0-2 characters left, so there is no way for me to do that mission.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lotish posted:

Especially if the ability does nothing else. I mean, if the ability healed even a tiny amount it would be passable.

It's funny, because even upgrading the skill to max doesn't do anything, you're basically just throwing gold out the window if you bother.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MadJackMcJack posted:

Oh thank God, I'm getting sick of an enemy group getting to smash my face in before I can even move.

Also, is this guy worth keeping, or would his bad quirks make him a detriment?

I've also got a guy who has both increased and decreased stress resistance in 75%+ light. Guess he doesn't really know if he loves or hates the light.

He's got Unyielding, so if you can get two of those +15% deathblow resistance amulets he can be literally unkillable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Illegal Username posted:

Jesus CHRIST Dismas how do you keep getting STDs? They already banned you from the brothel weeks ago!

If he's banned from the brothel I guess he has to improvise.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

paranoid randroid posted:

So what do the witches in the weald do exactly? My grave robber seems to specialize in one-shotting them on the first turn so I've never seen them attack.

They seem to use some low damage skill that causes stress and lowers torch light, other than that they just seem to have an annoyingly high dodge chance. They're mostly harmless.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lotish posted:

My Jester now has 97% deathblow resistance. :getin:

Check if any of your dudes have the "Unyielding" quirk, and give those trinkets to them instead. They will end up with 107% deathblow resistance and be unkillable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lotish posted:

Pretty sure he already has unyielding. 10 percent from the quirk, 10 percent from each of two tambourines.

Ah, I thought you were using this:

Broken Cog posted:

If this thing stacks with itself you'll have someone with 97% deathblow resistance sitting around hitting for +30% damage and +10% crit. 107% if you give it to someone with unyielding. Seems pretty insane.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The problem with that strategy is that every time someone hits death's door they spam significant stress at the party.

That said it'd still be doable, but I'm not sure it's a win button.

Does actually getting Door'd cause stress? I thought it was just for hitting 0 health, so if you never heal it wouldn't spam.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Notorious QIG posted:

Low light gives a penalty to hit chance but a bonus to crit chance, so it's kind of a wash.

Honestly, the increased crit chance more than makes up for the penalty to hit chance since crits are ridiculously powerful in this game. The only real downside to running low light is the increased chance to be surprised.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Notorious QIG posted:

I believe your stress resist drops pretty hard in low light too. I don't have a lot of low light experience but every time I've taken in a four-newbie team without torches they survive just fine but all come back afflicted.

It's still not really an issue, I barely ever hit max stress even when doing Level 5 no light runs.

Edit: Remember, crits lower your stress as well.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

poptart_fairy posted:

Does the torch burn down in real time, and if so is there a keyboard shortcut to top it off? It's such a small thing but stopping to open my inventory and double click a torch really stands out as clunky compared to the rest of the UI.

Nope, it goes down for every "square" you move in the dungeon. That means there's 5 squares between every room(4 if you enter the door at the end of a passageway before it ticks down) where you lose torch light.
It also seems that it ticks down 5 or more when walking through unexplored areas, while it only ticks down 1 when you backtrack through explored areas.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Jester may be also.

Nah, the Plague Doctor is specifically addressed as a woman, the Jester isn't AFAIK.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just dislike that there's absolutely no personality to any of the characters. If they had some hidden parameters that determined what kind of dialogue they had, or if their chatter at least changed a bit based on their traits, I might actually give a poo poo about any of them. As it stands, one Highwayman is basically the exact same as any other.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Internet Kraken posted:

Patch mostly sounds good but;

Whyyyyyy. These fuckers were already super annoying and now they're gonna be even worse.

Eh, they were pretty harmless before.
That change seems like it is only meant to make them more annoying though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm looking forward to see how this game develops. At the moment this game is rather shallow, something you'll most likely notice when you hit the level 3 dungeons. There's still half a year for them to add things onto it before the final release, though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Onkel Hedwig posted:

This game is in a pretty good state for an Early Access title.
I think it feels complete because the art, narration and music is already well developed and working, but the game has absolutely nowhere near the depth of, say, FTL. There are also quite a few glaring balance issues, but they seem pretty active in trying to clean up those.

It's just the feeling that when you've done a few level 3 dungeons you have basically seen all there is to see.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Coolguye posted:

Roll a few dungeons without any extra torches and see how toothless it feels, by the way.

When the light level is at Dark to Pitch Black the game's difficulty really ratchets up a notch.

I disagree. I actually find the dungeons easier in pitch black when your team can take a crit or two. The extra crits you do makes sure your stress level is at manageable levels, and at higher levels, your team can wipe enemy squads in 1-2 rounds.

The only risk is getting surprised more often, and getting so much loot you have to toss stuff out.

Edit: I probably wouldn't do pitch black for bosses, though. But that's an unnecessary risk anyway.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly I don't think the problem is with the difficulty of the dungeons (Although they could certainly be harder if they actually want people to lose heroes there), but rather that they are very dull and predictable.
The level 3 dungeons are extremely similar to the level 5 dungeons, the only difference is a difference in stats for the monsters, and there is only like 6-7 different monsters in each dungeon. Everything else is the same. Events, loot, interactibles, there's nothing new on higher levels, they even have the same modifiers. It makes repeating the dungeons over and over very boring and grindy.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 15, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
On the other hand, if you manage to stun or disable Wilbur somehow, the Swine prince/etc doesn't know what to do, and will just wail on one of your two frontliners for 4-5 damage.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Macaluso posted:

I hope it's like, pirate ghosts and fish ghosts and giant crabs

Most of the art and concept art for the monsters there are already in the files, if you want to spoil it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think any of the enemies are actually in the files yet, but I could be missing something.

Huh, they must have removed it with a patch or something, because I can't find them now, but I swear it was there a couple of weeks back. I still remember some of the monsters.