Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Also it's $20 :negative:

For those of you who had the Kickstarter access, how worth it is it if I'm a big fan of roguelikes and XCOM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Firstborn posted:

The battle system is more like Legends of Grimrock or even a JRPG. It's turn-based, and positioning matters for what abilities you can use, but it's not a SRPG.
It is like X-Com in the sense that you sort of get your own narrative from being attached to your guys, it can be frustrating and downright obtuse at the beginning, and dudes can permanently die.

By the way, the game owns.

Yeah I've been watching streams so I get at least the basics of the combat. Permadeath squad-based combat is such my poo poo though that I think it's gonna be tough to not buy this.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cracked and bought it. This game is loving awesome. Unfortunately I lost both characters in the tutorial to a number of nasty crits and then the game decided that what I really needed was four plague doctors, but after a few dungeons my roster seems to be balancing out. Just got my first jester which I think will help keep my stress down.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

victrix posted:

Walk into final room in dungeon 75% healed, full light. Get surprised, eat double crits, Vestal bleeds, Death's Door, dead from bleed. :negative:

:darkestdungeon:

My closest thing to a wipe so far was a first-round surprise crit with a bleed proc on my vestal, who didn't make it to round 2. Everybody else got to Death's Door before I managed to run, and all three ended up gaining afflictions.

When Darkest Dungeon decides it's time to die, you will die.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

HogX posted:

welp, starting dungeon wiped out two teams. Gonna stop playing this for a while, it's completely loving unfair.

lol

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Actually yeah sometimes the game just fucks you straight up. It's like X-Com in that respect.

Still with new players it's *generally* that you're doing something like forgetting about your torch level.

Like XCOM, Darkest Dungeon's randomness sometimes decides to gently caress you. Also like XCOM, the game gives you the tools you need to help prevent disaster and lets you bounce back when disaster does strike.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

New trollpinion: leper is the worst class.

Argument:

1) all classes are good, it's only relatively bad.

2) It can't hit the back rows.

3) It can't reposition itself without losing an action.

4) it's highly dependent on support classes for accuracy buffs.

5) it has no secondary utility role. It can't heal like the crusader or stun like the hellion.

Obviously I'm trolling a little here but honestly it does seem like the leper needs a little more versatility.

6) it does have a two target aoe but compare with grapeshot or breakthrough; again, cant hit the back rows.

Leper pairs best with classes that have backwards mobility actions. That way if your Leper gets knocked back, you can easily send him to the front without having to spend any of his own actions.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Baronjutter posted:

Stuns almost always fail in my experience so I'm hesitant to use them. And healing might heal 1-3 hp but every turn the enemy is doing like 8-20 damage to me so it's a losing battle. Right now I don't have anyone in my roster than can stun, I guess I need to throw them away. When you fail a dungeon you get absolutely no experience right? That seems like a slightly odd system, no way to improve your characters enough to get past anything.

It's worth noting that for a beginning Vestal, the group heal is way better than the single target heal. The single target heal you'll be lucky to heal 5 damage off a single person, but the group heal you will fairly consistently heal 2 to each person, or 8 total damage. Those extra 3 points add up fast.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Tollymain posted:

wait, occultist's bleed resist is what counts for his heal?

No, he gets -16% to bleed procs with that trinket, so you'd be less likely to bleed your guys when you heal.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Indecisive posted:

Mod would be cool if it changed all the art to sunshine and rainbows too

In the event that there's ever a Darkest Dungeon 2 I expect this to happen:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zaphod42 posted:

I would LOVE if they added Whimseyshire as a 5th dungeon :allears:

Naturally it should be the most stressful dungeon of them all.

Bonus points if the dungeon is too bright and you have to use something to make it darker.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zaphod42 posted:

Actually, it wouldn't even be that hard to modify the game's art. Its all just sitting there in folders.

You could just photoshop over whichever of the existing dungeons you want.

And if you got really clever with the JSON, you could probably even add a 5th dungeon....

Oh god if we could mod in some custom classes somehow that would be amazing. There's probably a ton of art for characters though.

Poking around in the files makes it look like it would probably be fairly easy to mod in custom classes, dungeons, and loot, although I'm not sure exactly where abilities are actually defined. Art modding is definitely very easy though, provided you have the tools and talent to do so.

e: and yes this means I expect a Goonest Dungeon mod within six months of the actual release.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Haroshia posted:

I was watching TotalBiscut do his first blind playthrough on stream, and due to RNG fuckery he lost his first two characters in the tutorial.

This isn't hard to do, you only get two people with no heals so one lucky crit can easily drop you down into death's door.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mortality status: Clarified

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Well, they have their tavern and brothel bills comp'd.

And have you seen the recent rates on self-flagellation services? Really these guys should be paying us.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ErIog posted:

They get them whether you click the masks or not. I wish that stuff just auto-displayed since it feels like half the YouTubers I'm watching take a while to figure out you can even click on them.

I like clicking the masks. It feels like identifying an item in Diablo only instead of asking "is this roll good or bad" you ask "is this a benefit or a sign of Terrible Madness".

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

enraged_camel posted:

Also, I think fighting with anything less than a fully-lit torch makes it harder to hit enemies.

Low light gives a penalty to hit chance but a bonus to crit chance, so it's kind of a wash.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, the increased crit chance more than makes up for the penalty to hit chance since crits are ridiculously powerful in this game. The only real downside to running low light is the increased chance to be surprised.

I believe your stress resist drops pretty hard in low light too. I don't have a lot of low light experience but every time I've taken in a four-newbie team without torches they survive just fine but all come back afflicted.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fhqwhgads posted:

So a level 0 no light suicide squad is actually a viable way to grind money/upgrade items? Or are your no-light runs done with specifically built characters?

Yeah, suicide squads are completely viable. It doesn't cost anything to hire rookies or to fire them, so as long as at least one escapes alive it's pure profit.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I think one of my characters just got an affliction that's an indirect reference to kiddy fiddling priests.

Deviant Tastes or something else?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just need some mind bleach at the sanitarium and they will be right as rain.

Where's that story about the guy who used the sanitarium to convince someone to go to the brothel again? That was a good story.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Had my first ever person get a positive outcome from their resolve being tested, an Occultist. Literally the very next step he died from a self-inflicted bleed :xcom:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Internet Kraken posted:

That's nice but its still gonna annoy the crap out of me that it will fail to remove a status when you really need it to. At least the Plague Doc isn't stricly awful now.

A level 0 Plague Doctor of mine had 100% status fix and 1 HP heal though :confused: Even 1 HP makes the skill a lot better anyway since now you can pull someone from Death's Door.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

What this game really needs is mimics :getin:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Haven't played this game since the earliest days of Early Access and was pleased to see that it came out in full today. Fired it up, used a thing I hadn't seen before, and...

:bloodborne:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

widespread posted:

Didn't we just say that Shamber's Altars will give you death if you set it on fire.

I mean I'm not going seeking out spoilers, just kind of skimming the thread now. I prefer to learn through horrible death rather than forum posts.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:suicide:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So, uh, don't burn books.

Beat the necromancer anyway though :smug:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zaphod42 posted:

Done.

God drat this thread is moving fast now that the game's out, I can barely keep up!

If anybody wants to write a new tutorial for new players just post it and I'll add it to the OP.

1) Sink all of your money into upgrading your Lepers and Jesters

2) Always put a torch in a shambler's altar

3) If it first you don't succeed, write a post about it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Just met The Collector :negative:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Samovar posted:

One thing that does annoy me is that if one of your guys gets killed and you make it to the inn, you can't choose who replaces them.

Yeah, I had a run flame out this week because only two characters made it to the inn, and the game decided what I really needed was four backline characters. Ah well :xcom: I guess

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

God I can't even reach the second endboss. I've only managed a single lair boss (Librarian) and died before I got to the mountain :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dang, that's quite the update to be free. Looking forward to it, I loved the combat of DD2 and only fell off the game because I don't think the roguelike structure really comes together.