Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Norns posted:

It seems like a no brainer to port it to iOS and android.

That would be flippin awesome. I would love a game like this on a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dackel posted:

The "ranged" keyword itself doesn't make that skill any more attractive. Especially as a character that has a melee skill that can hit every square.

What they probably should do is make the hook an aoe that hits 2 spots.

Now that I think about it, you know what this game doesn't have? A flexible 2 spot aoe attack (you choose which to hit: 1-2 2-3 3-4)

That honestly seems way too powerful. Being able to do that would make it a lot easier to manage the back two enemy rows by simply killing them off quickly.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I don't ever use occultists as healers, every time i've tried to rely on them, even with preemptive healing of barely hurt characters it ends up being a giant waste of a turn. It certainly feels like it averages the low end of the healing range more often than mid or high end, and the bleed is icing on the crap cake of a 0 pt heal. Even if the bleed wasn't there it would feel like as much of a waste.

Do weald quests just not show up much? I'm up to like week 30 and i've only ever seen two there. I am suffering from a huge lack of deeds.

I also do wish there was some kind of class smoothing for the wagon, i've only seen 2 hellions and maybe 3 vestals compared to shitloads of bounty hunters, jesters and occultists. (One reason why i've tried to use occultists as primary healers)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 21, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

GladRagKraken posted:

I was wondering why I couldn't see all the bans and probations being handed out, then I remembered this is the same subforum w/ the LoL and DotA threads, and was grateful that the thread wasn't worse.

I've found lategame Plague Doctor to be a beast, after the recent patches. Fully skilled up she's got a the fairly nasty single target + DoT which does ~13 damage before the monster gets to act again & ~18 before it gets to act twice, which isn't great, but certainly isn't terrible. She's got the ability to stun 2 backrow targets, which tend to be nastier customers than the frontrow folks Crusader and Vestral and Hellion can stun. She's got the ability to remove DoTs before the DoTs hit, and they can get up to some big numbers in lategame. To top it off, she's got a buff to make your big hitters hit bigger. Amazing class, lategame. I havn't tried with her underleveled or not skilled up, so maybe she sucks then, but even the Graverobber, who we all agree is obviously the best class, kinda sucks if she's a couple levels out of her league.

I can not get jesters to not suck though, even after reading the thread. Do I just need to be dragging out fights longer to get more use out of their stress reduction? Do I need to be loading them down with +crit trinkets? Why can't I get them to be good?

PD's in my A team, that stun ability neuters so much damage and stress they're worth more than an occultist to me, but I don't really like occultists anyway so I guess my word may not be worth much there. I also am having a hard time with jesters, since their damage is not really all that great, they do seem to crit quite a bit, but since their damage is low their crits are not very good. I think the best use of them is spamming a leveled up acc/crit song since it adds speed, or sticking them in front to spam Solo. But really i'd rather just have someone else there. Anyone really.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Its kind of hosed up that for a game full of eldritch horrors and slavering monsters, plain old bandits are probably the most dangerous encounter. Their formation is just really loving nasty. The big bandit isn't that bad aside from when he makes your entire party bleed, but the back two are HUGE assholes. Knife bandit can do really nasty damage on top of inflicting bleed and the gunner likes to crit your entire party on a regular basis. They're just huge assholes that are thankfully relatively rare, but can spawn in every single dungeon.

Least scary enemy are the maggots. I don't get why they even exist. They do pitiful damage to both health and stress. Every encounter with them is just a time waster. Also they're cute so I feel bad squashing them.

I dislike the maggots, the stress and stun combo hit they do is annoying and makes them annoying by extension - they're also almost totally immune to every status you can inflict. The only thing I really hate is the stupid vomit pigs - enough that I try to avoid going there unless I have no choice. They just have too much speed and afflict too many diseases for me to feel like dealing with. My poor vestal got syphilis, tetanus and the runs in one mission.

I'd reconsider if they toned down the disease chance on the vomit pigs OR added a bunch of trinkets that grant +disease resistance.

Nuebot posted:

What's so good about it anyway? I never remove it because it's not that big of a downside. But why would you want to be less accurate?

Rabies is good damage. The small accuracy hit is really not a big deal. I managed to get a highwayman infected with it and have him clean guns in camp - so he's rocking +40% damage and it makes grapeshot pretty tight.

I recently tried out a jester again and stuck him in the front to spam solo, it honestly feels like there's some hidden resistance to it or it's handled a different way than other abilities because it either was met with 4x resists or 3x resists and 1 that it actually takes hold on, which doesn't seem to be reflected well in the whole 25% debuff resistance of everything I went up against.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 23, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

I don't think anyone knows exactly how protection works, but it seems to be some amount of flat damage reduction that can't reduce a hit below 1 damage. Some people in here were talking about it being based on the guys maxhp, but personally I haven't tried testing rigorously on it to figure it out. Take note that it is really, really good. If you have some sun cloaks on your guys and roll above 75 light, you'll notice a huge amount of less damage taken over the course of a dungeon.

I just assumed it was MaxHP*protection value reduced per hit, to a minimum of 1 point. There doesn't seem to be a lot of other stats to base something like that off of other than HP, since resistances are so wildly varied. It would make a lot of sense considering prot isn't as noticeable when it's dealing with a huge crit damage shot from the bigger critters. I have noticed that just 5 prot value is very worthwhile given the low healing values in the game though, so I really like getting thick skin quirk. It does show pretty well for Crusaders having their base of 5 prot, they do tend to take a little less damage on average per hit.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 24, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There should be some way to lose the game. It can be gradual as hell and incremental and slow. X-com has similar levels of grinding and nobody complains that's it's possible to lose; that's what makes it x-com.

Losing in this is losing a team you've invested tremendously, I'm not sure a failure state is really necessary either, for a long time I got screwed out of being able to do dungeons by not having any healing classes available, so I had to abandon out a lot of missions because I just couldn't last long enough in them - even going in with a shitload of food to use as makeshift healing. It would suck to have lost the game because the random wagon composition just never came up with anything I really needed. I mean I seriously had to abandon a good 10 missions in a row at the start. The plus side is I got fairly decent with knowing what and who to stun, and I use plague doctors like crazy now because their stun was one of the most useful ones I could find. Xcom is not even comparable here because you can get by without any healing class whatsoever, and you can make any team composed of anything work because the values in that game are a lot more predictable than this one.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Man-At-Arms will have one attack, a front-row to front-row mace bash, and the rest of his abilities will all grant protection and other defensive buffs to himself or various party members. The Houndmaster will be unable to do anything but move or pass until at least one party member dies, so that the empty slot can be filled with hounds. Not a hound, hounds. A summoned pillar of warped and baying hounds, stitched together by foulest magic. If the hound pillar survives the dungeon it is added to your roster and can gain quirks and levels. Hound pillars are essentially crusaders but instead of having a bonus against Unholy they inflict bleed, and instead of healing or de-stressing allies they just give them Rabies.

Being able to give rabies out would cement the Hound Pillar's place in groups. Maybe give them the ability to stack multiple levels of rabies as well?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

I'm going to try out a Vestal-Occult-BH-BH team tonight. I tried and liked the Vestal-3x BH team, but I felt like my 3rd BH was pretty much just there for marks. If I can get my Occultist doing the marks instead, I can fall back on Wyrd Reconstruction for single heals when no one needs to get tagged.

E: I'll have to find some sort of speed trinket for my Occult so he goes before the Bounty Hunters, but they both have same base speed, so hopefully one speed trinket plus Cleansing Crystal will do the trick.

E2: I might try out OC-3x BH too, but that seems a little bit too glass cannon-ish for my purposes. I'm finding myself using Vestal party heal pretty much every round of every dungeon run, I don't think I'm going to be able to lean on Occult single heal in the same way.

I have such poo poo luck with +spd trinkets, but i'm rolling in +speed quirks - probably 1/3rd my characters have quick or fast reflexes or what not.

You could try OC/PD + 2 BH. The occultist can mark a target, the PD can stun the back two and your BH can use Finish Him and Collect. Finish him can hit any row so you can even hit those weak targets in back, and get 33% bonus damage from having them stunned. The stun will also help reduce longterm stress accumulation and damage by hamstringing the back rows effectively.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ocanthus posted:

One of my Crusaders got both 'Known Cheat' and later 'Gambler' meaning he couldn't reduce any stress until after a trip through the asylum.

I let him get cooked in the Hag's pot rather than deal with his bullshit.

This happened in my first week with a Hellion that would only drink to relax and after the first expedition swore off drinking. I do wish it wasn't possible to get exclusive opposites like that.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Man the swine prince is hilariously weak to debuffs. Take an occultist there and equip him with weakening curse and cast it every turn. I had him down to -75% dmg and -30% acc. I don't think he ever hit me for more than 1 since i dodged the first couple turns.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

The only suitable punishment is to send him right back into the estate to find more trinkets.

With no torches.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Certain things such as Curiosity, Lockjaw, Syphilis, Weak Grip On Life, etc. are absolutely must-get-rid-of-asap negative quirks. Excising the reduction in skill/higher chance of death/obnoxiously checking everything you try to walk past is worth the extra gold.

You can activate interactives at a range greater than any quirk triggers them, so you can work around things like curious and dark temptations etc - something I can see them as changing at some point, since being able to work around the negatives like that probably wasn't intended. Diseases though, yeah, if they aren't rabies they have to go.

Captain Invictus posted:

It is nice to have an all-star lineup with nothing but stress relief preference quirks, though.

I'd consider that a waste of possible good quirks. I hardly ever have to use the stress relievers anymore past the apprentice dungeons.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

If it's not a bag, crate, or piece of luggage I pretty much don't touch it unless I have the item guaranteeing a positive result. (I make exceptions for the two types of trees sometimes)

I'm pretty blah about using items on other items, the only things I never use though are iron maidens since they suck. I do go in with a set loadout of positive items per dungeon, but i dont go nuts with 5 or 6 kinds, usually like 2 keys at least since those seem to have the biggest return on investment. Trees and antivenom i never bother with though because those lovely trees hardly have the loot return to even justify spending it. You thoroughly searched the tree and got 75g! But the antivenom costs what, 200?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Enough shovels are invaluable if you don't have an anti-stress or darkness team.

It's unlucky RNG, I'm confident that only means they consume twice the food they normally would during foodchecks and camp. Foodchecks can be absurdly spammy on a dime, they definitely need a minimum distance timer.

Yeah, this is a part that bugs me a bit. One square before entering a room your dudes get hungry, and then one square after leaving the room they will do it again. It's to that point with me that I usually bring like two full stacks of food into a medium dungeon - although it's nice if stress piles up unreasonably high quickly due to bad luck to be able to double ration and get 10 stress knocked off on a camp, since I usually save them for a few rooms in mediums.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Also, +initiative on healers or single target "problem solvers" can go a long way towards avoiding eating multiple crits before an action.

I don't really have a huge issue with the ai focus-firing targets, as it makes sense from intelligent enemies; but I'm sure a few months of combat balancing will help quite a bit. If they do it right, it'll probably be fairly interesting to figure out the proper party combinations (down to trinket loadout) for each dungeon. Unfun bullshit is something most devs genuinely want to avoid, and Red Hook hasn't dropped the ball yet on anything major, so here's to hoping they can make the combat a bit less binary while staying mean.

I wouldn't have an issue with better AI targetting if you had better means to mitigate it or get around all the extra damage. Healing is very limited in this game and many enemies are very fast, making it tough to get more speed than some outside of Fast Reflexes + Quick combos, and even "tanky" characters are usually just larger bags of HP since protection is a very limited commodity as well.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 8, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The Swine Prince berserks and gets multiple attacks per turn and you die

Swine prince is hilariously weak to debuffs, and occultists have a -25% damage / -10 acc one that you can get to stack up to 3x. Not saying it will make it easy and you won't die but it really does take an enormous bite out of the swine prince. Like the most annoying part is Wilbur stunning after he's dead and the fight itself is pretty easy.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

:stare: You... killed Wilbur first and didn't have any trouble winning the fight?

If you debuff the poo poo out of him with an occultist it would be pretty easy to kill him without dying.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

Simply explaining yes or no would be a lot more helpful since Google gives mixed feedback on this, and I don't want to lose hundreds of dollars in games.

No.

Why would Steam care about what you do in a single player game? It's not much different from what the steam workshop mods do for any other game.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

The real question is, does food crit chance go up in darkness?

Steam is not going to outright ban you unless you scam people or steal games or something literally criminal. You can edit the files of the games you own as much as you want. If the game you are editing files for is a competitive multiplayer game (i.e. not Darkest Dungeon), then depending on the way you edit the files and the terms of the developer of that specific game sets, you might be cut off from the multiplayer aspects of that game, but you'll never lose access to your Steam account and all your games.

They buff monster HP trying to make debuffs worthwhile, but as long as they keep throwing out monsters with these giant debuff resistances, there's no way a 50% chance of landing a -20 accuracy penalty is going to be anywhere near as good as an 80% chance of cutting off 1/6th of the monster's health.

There's ways around resistances like that, so even 50% isn't as bad as it seems. Trinkets that increase chances etc, along with just higher levels of skills can increase the base chance beyond 100%

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

busb posted:

How much of a benefit is the ++loot from low light?

like if you're stomping a dungeon is it ever worth it? or will the increased stress/damage make it always a bad choice?

I find loot++ worthwhile, in fact i did 0 light runs for everyone from R0-R2 unless i was confronting a boss - everyone at those ranks is disposable and it saves you some torch money. If you have a trinket that reduces surprise chance it helps quite a bit, since the surprise attacks are probably what makes a run nosedive quickly - either that or make sure you have a very mobile group. The stress hit from low light can be annoying, but remember you get +crit in the dark and make sure to bring some heavy critters (such as arbalest, or highwayman with pistol shot, grave robber etc). Short runs are very doable in the dark, mediums don't often need it with how much stuff you naturally find in that length. I haven't done a long one with low light yet, but i imagine it just isn't worthwhile - i guess you can prioritize loot so you have nothing but rubies and sapphires or w/e instead of lovely stacks of jade/citrine.

Also the flesh beast is incredibly easy with a plague doc, like for real a 4-spot monster that shares one health bar is incredibly susceptible to being blighted to death with plague bombs. I think that guy was tailor made to make you bring a plague doctor. (Not that i have a problem with that since out of my 25-man roster i have 4 plague docs because they are awesome.) I actually didn't play the EA game for a while and the only bosses i'd ever fought to that point were the standard necromancer, hag, and pig king dude.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

what's a worse random mob encounter -- four spearfishing dudes, or four rabid dogs?

Because the spearfishing dudes hit hard and fast but the dogs at higher levels are all DODGE DODGE DODGE DODGE

spear dudes hit way harder and seem to do more damage overall

MinibarMatchman posted:

as long as the enemy you're facing isn't resistant to Blight then the Plague Doctor is the best character in the game. Stacking 10 damage per turn blights plus a shuffling stun that can clear corpses is great. Such a turnaround from when the game was in its early stages and I never felt the PD was worth it. I think they've buffed her big time + lowered resistances of all enemies since then.

I've actually always been keen on the PD, i found him super useful in general just by way of that back row stun even in the early days of EA. My groups always do way better with her along and even more so after getting that very rare stun/blight trinket - with that she can get around the blight resistance of the stuff that starts at 65-70% resistance, which makes her even more useful in the weald since she can reliably blight the shrooms (that is if i don't stun them)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Out of my 25 man roster i have 0 jesters and i feel like that is just fine. I can't think of a spot where i honestly really cared about his deal. Most bosses have a exploitable way to murder their rear end and the jester just doesn't fit into any of them any better than another character. Just like the dumb leper and his 20 bajillion self only buffs that he has for some reason. Actually I take that back, the leper's intimidate ability would be situationally useful on high prot boss fights, like maybe flesh beast, or to help debuff swine prince's damage. I'm willing to take a.... stab at using him again though, so maybe i'll replace someone with a jester.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

e X posted:

Wait, if I understand that correctly, do people not use buffs and debuffs, outside of boss battles?

I'd rather stun or kill them than reduce their damage by 10% or accuracy by the same. The net change in what happens is very small with those compared to not letting them have a turn at all.

Debuffs are very useful and have a big impact when they actually matter (Say, on a boss) but not so much in hall fights.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

i like the collector b/c he let me give dismas his own head to carry around like a good luck charm.

You can find heads in secret rooms fyi, they occasionally take the place of dodecahedrons

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
When i did the apprentice swine prince it had been so long i forgot about that and was like "Well i'll just knock him down to one shot territory for when boss is dead". Prince proceeded to about kill my party off, luckily when i made that boner of a decision i had two weakening debuffs on him so it wasn't so bad, and i recovered from it just fine. Well that's my story about making a bad decision but being slightly prepared for it unintentionally.

I didn't have too hard a time with the apprentice guys i never did back in EA, but i tend to be cautious with bosses. I think out of all of them the only one that gave me slight issue was the prophet and that was very minor outside of my only real damage on him being an iron swanning hellion.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

If they had designed the Swine King fight to not have Wilbur and just have the Swine King take two actions a round and have the first action always be to mark your guys, nobody would ever have these problems hilarious stories.

That's basically the prophet in a nutshell and there are no good prophet stories, so yeah

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Scoss posted:

I'm bad at this game. I played it a bit during beta and I'm revisiting now that it's out for real. I've killed a few bosses (Wizened Hag, Apprentice Necro, 8-pounder, Sonorous Prophet), but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels a lot and the town upgrades are very expensive, which just makes me feel like I need to grind even more, and I just feel like I'm constantly playing wrong.

I've got one "team" of guys up to level 3/4, the rest are 0-2 and perpetually dying, or going too crazy/quirky/disease-y and needing to be sent off to the glue factory.

I don't want to go pore over an FAQ since that seems pretty counter to the spirit of the game, but some advice wouldn't hurt.

I've got 2-3 upgrades in all the blacksmith and guild lines, and about 3 upgrades in the top row of each de-stressor building, a couple upgrades for each row of the sanitarium, and the stage coach way upgraded. I think one of my big problems at this point is I don't know how to tell if a character is worth investing in, or trying to fix in the sanitarium (it costs so much gold!). Some quirks seem obviously better and worse than others, but I'm probably badly misjudging many of them. Same with items basically. Anything involving the weighing of stats is guesswork.

I'm also pretty lost on party composition. I try to have at least one front-row fighty guy and a Vestal or Occultist, but beyond that I basically just slap in whoever is the right level, not insane, and has moves that work in the open slot.

I don't fix a whole lot on my team outside of forced interaction quirks like kleptomania (especially that gently caress that poo poo) or others that have huge impact like -health or so, ones that impact the town like won't XXX i don't bother with at all. On the topic of forced interactions I just had a hellion with a guilty conscience force her way into a confession booth. Amusingly the booth worked great and absolved her of her guilty conscience. So much for that. I'm pretty willing to put up with quirks though so others might be different in that regard. I even ignore some diseases because they're negative isn't worth caring about.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I find the Vestal is primarily only really good at squatting down and making GBS threads out a constant stream of reliable healing and very occasionally throwing out a stun, whereas the occultist helps the party kill things significantly faster so you're running less risks of Captain Treebranch putting someone in the ground, which means your party survives fights in better condition. Even in the worst case, an Occultist crapping massive damage debuffs over Fat Enemy Du Jour will prevent a looooot of damage. Even Champion Giants aren't super terrifying when they're doing -95% damage or whatever.

i had the swine king sitting at -190% damage the whole fight when i did him. Was interesting being more afraid of wilbur than him. I had a lovely party setup though sadly, so it went on longer than I cared, i was relying on my one crusader with +30% in damage quirks, a beast slayer ring and another +damage very rare I can't recall. It was a very safe fight though, wasn't worried at all since the king started to miss more than hit due to the stacking -acc from the leper.

Also a use for the leper is just spamming intimidate on every fight, he doesn't do completely horrid damage with it and it does do a hefty -dmg and OK -acc debuff on the front two.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

The game should keep track of curios used and auto-place them.

That would be great. Sometimes i'm thrown off by things not taking what i feel like they should, like mummified remains needing bandages instead of holy water.

Took out the L3 sunken crew last night in about 3 rounds. He ate a serious face full of crits from my crew - grave robber with a 50 pt dagger throw, occultist with a 40 pt crit shank, and even my MaA got into it with his own 35pt crit. I only had to stop a moment to kill the anchor guy off and the boss followed right after that. I feel like i prefer occultists in damage roles more than I do healer roles, because those mustache dudes do a crapload of damage

ErKeL posted:

My first fight with him I was having fun just stacking reduced damage on his rear end and breaking up all his pews until he rains down some massive crit and instantly knocks one of my guys from max health to death's door. Freaked out and killed him next turn. Dude hits hard when he wants to. Not even sure how he managed it because I'm sure I stacked at least 90% reduced damage on his rear end for that one turn.

Just got my 2nd hero to resolve 5 which is going to drive me nuts. He's useful as gently caress but now he's all alone and I only have a small team at lvl 4 still. I don't even know how he got so far ahead of everyone else because I've barely used him.

Probably used him in more medium/longs than the others.

On the topic of dungeon length i'm doing more of those item ones - picks etc, now that i tweaked the inventory file to allow all those quest items to stack, the additional payout you get from those types makes them worth doing. I also did the same with heirloom drops - doubling their stack max. It's proving a lot more bearable since the grind is lessened a bit when you can carry more haul out of a dungeon. I'm alright with limited inventory but it is often very frustrating and fixing that just makes it more fun to me, since the combat challenge is what i have fun with

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Antti posted:

I didn't care about the pot and just killed the boss. I did lose three people but I completed the quest.

If you have the output you can do that. I think on the 2nd hag i was able to kill her before the first one in the pot got down to deaths door.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

fallie posted:

I thought I went into this fight prepared, using an Arbalest-Occulist-Houndmaster-Hellion party. The strategy was to go all-out offense with eldritch-slaying rings on, Houndmaster using the multi-target bleed, Occultist stabbing and ceiling spaghetti-ing, Arbalest and Hellion single-targeting heart parts. Didn't work all too well. I won, but the piece of poo poo killed off my only Arbalest and the Houndmaster. I am not really sure how to deal with the head dealing 20 damage to two targets while also applying a 4/turn bleed. I have been able to prepare and pretty much control all the other champion-level boss fights, but not this one. Now I'm thinking that maybe a party of 4 Houndmasters would have been better, where the 2 front liners protect the back row with Guard and have the back row spam bleed.

I prefer the DoT method on those, direct damage doesn't seem as good when you can apply a good blight or bleed that ignores prot value and treat every piece of it as a damage opportunity. I also used a leper to intimidate spam the front two pieces, with their high base damage they do OK and with intimidate will lower the damage/acc of the first two slots.

Rascyc posted:

I've cleared almost every boss except like two generations of bosses in the cove. I hate that place, haha. I have to grind out like 3 more dungeon levels of the Cove. Why can't there be deeds or something useful in there instead of crests argh

I like the cove quite a bit personally, it doesn't really feel tough and the worst party is basically 4x spearfishers. Think of it as a pseudo sanitarium and make sure to bring a few herbs along, it also feels like it has more loot than the others (except ruins).

I am a little worried about the resolve XP changes - that might make it hella difficult to get all the bosses in during the L3 period, i just barely managed to fit them all in before all my guys were too high for it. Maybe have that reduced XP curve happen after you've cleared out all of them? Like a reward for doing it or something?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Right, but the problem is that this approach just got the rug yanked out from under it because dudes level through veteran content super quickly now.

admittedly i havent seen this for myself yet, but it does indeed sound like theyre fixing the wrong problem here

By adjusting the resolve they've caused another problem with gold costs and building upgrades. Money's already tight.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

taking a pd to the weald... boy, i dunno

Blinding powder and disorienting blast make them good entirely on their own there. The ability to clear blight/bleeds is just a pleasant side benefit. Their speed lets them get the first move on pretty much everything. With their class very rare trinket they can two turn stun giants without too much trouble. Give it a shot you might be surprised at how much they help out.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

wait till you see my mpreg leper

in other news - gently caress that goddamn map layout that has you entering in the middle of a massive snaking tunnel. there is precisely one good thing about this map.

I consider a two lunged dungeon with the farthest points being equally distant while going for a boss to be the best.

Also i didn't scout the 12 pounder fight and that cannon is apparently super sneaky and snuck up on my guys and surprised them. I am going to imagine it hiding behind a tiny bush and my guys just blindly walking past it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Scouting the boss room is never necessary. It is 100% of the time located in whatever room is farthest from your starting point. There is absolutely zero doubt about a boss location unless two or more rooms are equidistant from your starting room, which is something I have never seen since I started paying attention. I suspect the code prevents it.

That 12 pounder fight was in a two lunged dungeon with the farthest point on each of them being 4 rooms away from the entrance, scouting would have helped in that situation.

Yes you can go by assumption on the boss being farthest, but you can hit some setups where they are the same distance. My 2nd flesh boss, 2nd siren, the 12 lber and the 2nd prophet for me all were like that, farthest rooms being 4 away.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 2, 2016

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
You unlock stuff faster doing longer missions, so one reason it takes so long is the insistence on shorts vs long or even medium lengths. The caveat is you also get more resolve, but you could conceivably unlock stuff with a high level group doing champs or vet level groups etc. And using your lower rank guys to clear bosses.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

I think they all have some ambient noise increase when the light dies down (cove is gurgling and groaning in the background, I think) but the Warrens is just next-level, none of them stack up.

Its to rub in the fact that there is a literal pig orgy flesh monster in the vicinity.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Fairly certain after my 12 pounder surprising me that there is a check for it every single fight regardless of what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nakar posted:

I've run into him like two dozen plus times and it's always been either a standard battle or a surprise.

Can you surprise a Shambler? I vaguely recall seeing someone do it once, but I've never managed to get anything but a regular fight that opens with the auto-shuffle.

I surprised him yesterday in a random hall fight so yeah for sure. Knocked off 1/2 his health before he got to go. Barely finished that cove run after that since that was my immediate first fight and his stupid lovely little nubbins still got to stress a bunch of guys out.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 5, 2016