Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I haven't played in the way back and never really that much but I picked it up again over the weekend. I've gotten my first few level 3 guys and I'm slowly leveling the rest of them now and purchasing upgrades for my buildings and heroes, there's a real big cost jump from the first and second tier gear upgrade though.

Question: Is it worth keeping around guys with a ton of afflictions, even if they have a lot of positive ones too? A guy has a full set of reds and some nastier ones locked in and it's 4500g to get rid of it so I'm leaning towards just firing him and leveling a new one up.

Also it's super fun to build a party for maximum bullshit. I did the necromancer with Hellion, Crusader, Crusader, Arbalist and we tore through the poor guy. Might take those guys to do the crone too though I think it's more dangerous since if the Hellion goes into the pot the front Crusader is useless without the lance ability. I already lost 3 guys to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Definitely a bug with the trinkets and provision merchant. If you sell him a trinket he'll pay you the price that it costs at the gypsy woman. Made 10k off a lovely cloak.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Trip report: Encountered the cannon boss for the first time. Don't leave the guy with the igniter stick alive.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Onmi posted:

I've now run into the Collector twice while dungeon diving, I'm on Week 27. I'm having a lot of fun even if I'm steering far away from anything outside of the Comfort Zone.

I think right now I'm trying to build up a good A/B/C team.
Killed him twice too. Only dropped the money gem so far :(

Edit: Also devs said on the bug forum that the provisioner buying trinkets is fixed in the next patch.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 6, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Onmi posted:

Huh, same. First time he took two of my party members and I had to quit the dungeon I believe, the second time I fought him off with no losses, but notably, the Crusader in the party during that fight wound up dying in the very next Dungeon due to going Fearful, while his two companions Steeled themselves and survived. Guess the Collector got him in the end.

FAKE EDIT: 3 Times, this time he ambushed me in the room prior to the Prophet, which meant I luckily had a chance to go camp and heal just before the boss. But still for the third time he only dropped his cash gem. Honestly I'm just thankful no one died. Especially as my only 'healer' was the Plague Doctor, who... frankly isn't much of a healer.

My plague doctor does great. I haven't seen any heads on the collector besides highwayman, vestal and man at arms. Does he use anyone else at all?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

-10% HP is meaningless when you can stack all kinds of healing poo poo on the Vestal and heal for 6 across the whole party at level 1. The stress damage is easily countered by the Crusaders unshakeable leader camping skill and a host of other stress reduction stuff.

I just got a nice +12% accuracy Focus Ring and stuck it on a leper. It's tactical.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Some trinkets are just straight up good with no downsides. Restraining Padlock reduces transformation stress by 25% for the party AND the abomination, the -8 dodge on Focus Ring is meaningless because it's obviously tailored for the leper who has 0 dodge anyway. Recovery charm gives +40% heals received with no downside, hell fasting seal can be pretty good on long runs where you want to maximize your inventory space for loot. A lot of the common and rare trinkets are bad because the downsides very closely match the bonuses.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I wish I remembered to take a screenshot, but I have a Vestal that has so much +healing stacked up combined with the Man At Arms shield that gives him +50% heals received that her AoE heals everybody for 5 (MaA for 7) and her single target heal was healing him for 18hp without crits. Also that run the MaA absorbed about a bajillion damage and the only problem I had was that he was inadvertently stress-tanking so he ended up getting afflicted at the end of the run. Still not bad.

The MaA's guard is such a good ability, he's the only reason I'm comfortable putting a highwayman in rank 2. Riposte is also hilarious against the mushroom men.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 6, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Easily. She still has the power, but it's not 'faith in a higher power' anymore. The struggle has broken her faith, but not her strength. Expect lots more 'Suffer as I have!' from her from here on.

It would be cool if faithless let religious heroes join a party with the abomination. It's sorta OP but I love little details like that from traits.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I feel like they kinda phoned it in on the Darkest Dungeon. It's four missions with really cool and unique elements (dark scouting), awesome backgrounds and enemy types and you're locked out of it for the entire game. It could have been a really awesome risk/reward set piece for the entire game with more punishing RNG and no retreats but it's just a story conclusion element. I am disappointed.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Found my first secret room.

:stare:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm in week 15, haven't lost a single dude and most of the time I only end up with one guy needing to hit the tavern to drink his woes away. I gave my hellion brawlers gauntlets, dismas's head and resting buff for a total of 70% extra damage and murdered the Necromancer in the second turn, got a bunch of guys to 3 and did a veteran dark run. It's been entirely too easy so far and I'm sure I'll wipe three parties in a row very soon :ohdear:

I think a lot of it comes down to how you play but I haven't had any unlucky crits either so maybe I've just been absurdly lucky, for those who are having trouble here are a few points I live by.

- Aoe is a trap. An enemy at 4HP is just as effective as an enemy at 20HP. It's tempting to use zealous accusation and the highwaymans volley but don't, stick to single target and only use a stun if you don't think you can kill an enemy this turn.

- Build your parties around damage over time or burst. If you use blight and bleed you'll want a man-at-arms up front who can self-mark and protect the guy in the other front spot. This is especially important in the weald against the mushroom guys.

- Don't worry too much about the sanitarium early on. Absolutely remove the Ague and other heavy debilitations but don't remove or lock in quirks unless you have spare cash.

- Don't be afraid to over prepare. Shovels are expensive but you should have at least 2 on a short, 3-4 on a medium, but you don't actually need more than 6 torches for a medium if you camp smart.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh god no.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I hate to break it to you but advice from anyone at week 15 is worthless.

The game has a reputation for being hard yes, but that doesn't start until you hit the higher level missions. Even bozos can get through the apprentice dungeons with little difficulty. It is not a difficult game in the early dungeons. I laugh every time someone is like "guys I just got this game and beat my first boss and I'm doing great this is easy!!!!"

Alright, so what am I doing wrong?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Reynauld keeps stealing my poo poo :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've had pretty good use out of the Jester thanks to the finale/solo combo and stress heal. Even with the debuff from solo, finale does respectable damage and I just ran him with 2 highwaymen and the antiquarian with both highwaymen set up with point blank and advance. I killed the swine king no problem although I forgot about Riposte so Wilbur ate dirt in round 2 and I won with 3 guys at deaths door.

Jester honestly seems fine now and I wonder if he wouldn't be amazing with the crimson curse and bloodlust.