Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

eleven extra elephants posted:

In 2, I've been generally going for the lair boss in my first region if the inn combat items are decent, I've got about an 80 percent success rate beating them but sometimes at high stress cost.

I know the answer differs based on lots of factors but is it a bad idea and should I just be waiting until the second region to tackle them?

IIRC there's a few concessions made to 1st region lair bosses, like the librarian having a slightly larger bookstack distribution, so no it is not necessarily a bad idea assuming you have a team that matches up with that particular lair boss decently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Legit Businessman posted:

I just started out on dd2 (finally!).

Are there any sort of pitfalls (game management wise, not in game wise) that I should be on the look out for?

I have unlocked the jester, flagellent, and the hellion.

Looking around online, it says that I should be spending candles on Inn unlocks, stage coach stuff, and trinket unlocks, along with hero advancements. I have unlocked the pet, and I have a few wagon upgrades, which are probably a waste of candles at this point, but :shrug:.

Once I have a successful run, then I start spending candles on memories. Hopefully by then I have my poo poo together and know what I'm doing.

DLC (for Roy and the other person) is worth it, when it goes on sale, yeah?

There's no such thing as a waste or major pitfalls really, it's a run based game and you can continue to play previous acts as often as you like (you are only locked into selecting the next act the first time you complete the previous one). And you should, unlocks help a lot. The early stage coach upgrades that give +1 armor and +1 wheels are almost a necessity, get them asap; extra candle spawns can be nice too. Resourcefulness: the one that gives you extra money at the start of the run is also worth a few early points, having some spending cash really helps kickstarting a run.

For the item unlocks, pay attention to the tiers, each category has the items grouped by tiers and the category goes up in candle costs by that tier; this is the only way to tell in fact. All inn item tiers are pretty great, combat and stage coach peak early at tier 1 (the others are still good, just not as much bang for the buck). Trinkets peak mid to late, but you do want them eventually as they really bump your power.

Otherwise do Hero stuff, especially all 3 paths per Hero, cosmetics as you like. Memories and challenge flames are probably the least important as those can complicate the runs a bit (though by all means, grab them if you want them).

The DLC is 10 bucks where I'm at; worth it whenever you want the new characters I'd say.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
All the bosses in the game have some sort of unique mechanic to them that the game intends for you to figure out via observation/experimentation, sometimes over a couple of different attempts/runs. The degree to which you are expected to lose, or are capable of powering through without having figured it out kinda depends. I think the Dreaming General is probably the most puzzly/most punishing until you do.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I think pushing one of the analog sticks down when the cursor is over an enemy gives more detail. Mouse over the taproot (the tree thing behind him) to see.

The taproot applies a special debuff to two heroes a turn. This is in two tiers, the first tier just slows them that round but the second tier completely disables them and stresses allies. If all heroes are tied up like this the boss does a nuke and resets the effect.

So long as you can target and hit the taproot with an ability (doesn't have to be damage) it mitigates the effect on one hero. This means you'll have to dedicate two heroes to targeting the taproot while the others hit the boss, making the fight a bit of a slog.

Talking about General specific strategies (reader beware and such):
There's a couple of abilities that can hit the taproot and the General at the same time, Occultist spaghetti and PD's plague grenade spring to mind. You can also tap the root with combat items which is a nice way of setting up extra/different actions with your heroes that turn. Both combined helps a lot in speeding up the fight and honestly I wouldn't consider doing it without as the stress buildup from a longer fight can very easily tank your run.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 20, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

temple posted:

Harvest child can be debuffed and nuked. I fair better against him/her. Very predictable outside of the hunger mechanic. Dreaming general is my worst because it's so long. It's designed to punish comps without heavy dots or consistent back row damage. Even the leviathan isn't that bad to me compared to general.

You don't need back row damage, just affect, preferably a cleave but any item or debuff can also work. If you can control the root the main other thing you really need is stress healing, because it is the stress that will gently caress you up the most--even if you win the fight you might just have a tanked run because of the stress and effects on affinity. You're right about the dots but then than can be said of any major enemy in this game, dot damage is kinda bonkers.

Funny thing about the Harvest Child: You can blind the meat to make it roll to miss, and which meat affects which ranks is consistent (though I do always forget which is which).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
They had mentioned somewhere in December that they were working on a big, free update, centered around improving variety and replayability. Still this looks quite a bit chunkier than I expected, very cool.