Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Does the Plague Doctor ever stop sucking? Mine has failed to Heal Affliction all four times I've tried it and doesn't seem to have any real offense besides the whole 'stun the enemy back row' thing, which is of limited utility if I've killed any enemies yet (which I want to be doing to reduce incoming fire)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love the character designs for this game. They get things across really well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

paranoid randroid posted:

My new favorite detail is that the Occultist went to a liberal arts university and did poorly in anatomy class.

My Vestal just developed an obsession with killing after pulling a clutch crit when she got dragged forward by a cultist. This is gonna be a great game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's hard to design a game about giving you more abilities and options and improving your guys and not accidentally invert the difficulty curve.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I should probably not have taken all those reasonably high stress characters into the dungeon at the same time. No-one died, but by the time I got out, 3 of them were freaking the gently caress out and it was awesome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How does Scouting work, exactly? Is it just a percent chance you'll scout the area when you hit a room?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I like the little internal story with my Vestral, who refuses to do any chapel-related things, thinks she is a saint, and also believes herself to be possessed. Absolute nutjob.

My best Vestal is obsessed with death and killing and refuses to relax anywhere but the brothel. She also keeps going Abusive when she stresses out. Evelyn is crazy as gently caress.

My sanest hero is Roger the Occultist. Like, he has no real mental defects and great traits, and his default name was ROGER. What is he doing hanging out with all these weirdos? I love the crazy trait system.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's nothing abusive about pulling random teams of murderhobos off the wagon and sending them into a meatgrinder with no pay beyond what's necessary to keep them together enough to keep fighting by tossing them booze and prayer.

Oh, wait. Everything about that is abusive, yes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Holy poo poo. This game has now got me cursing out loud when my Hellion misses shots and pumping my fist in glee when Dismas comes through or Evelyn gets pulled forward and still bludgeons a guy to death with her mace. I think I had 5 Death's Doors that last mission but my guys came through without any losses thanks to the rookie Vestal dodging at just the right times.

This hits the Old X-COM itch better than the Firaxis X-COM did!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My Crusader went off on a holy vision quest after praying and immediately got syphilis the next mission. What the hell was he doing!?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like that you can't outright lose because it keeps me from spazzing out about the game being full of permadeath and destruction. I have a lot more fun losing guys and suffering setbacks when I can always get back on the horse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DeathSandwich posted:

Man, some of the rank3+ enemy arrangements are real bastards. I had just camped in the ruins and had full health and less than 10 stress on everyone and my first fight after was a Ravening ghoul and two gargoyles who chain crit my group of rank 3s and killed 2 people on the second round. All my attacks up until that point were dodged. Everyone in that group had max rank armor and rank 3 skills for all their important attacks.

I feel like we need a :xcom: for Darkest Dungeons.

My last adventure, I got hit by two straight crits from a pair of Bandits doing the 'hit your front two' slash attack that knocked my Highwayman to death's door and almost killed my Hellion, and somehow came back from it to finish the dungeon without losses. You gotta wonder what the hell bandits are doing in the dungeon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

paranoid randroid posted:

I'm pretty sure they've got goblets full of blood. And I guess the answer is "from that party of lowbies you sent to their deaths last week."

e. how the heck does the party tell the difference between an Abusive hellion and a normal hellion enough to get stressed out by her screaming?

It's from who she's looking at when she's screaming. Hellions are like claymore mines: You want a particular end pointed towards the enemy. If it points towards you, instead, it's a bit scary.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been wondering myself; I imagine its some unimplemented building. Possibly related to the end-game quest?

It should be the quit game button. "And so, the Owner followed the path of all his Ancestors..."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really love the Resting scenes. Not just for being a good implementation of a resting and recovering mechanic, but I like watching my poor dumb bastards interact, like the Hellion cheering up an ally by challenging them to a wrestling contest or the Highwayman grudgingly admitting he's glad to have everyone else around. This game just excels at tone. :3:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The stress-lowering mechanics are basically a grimdark Fantasy version of The Hangover where you try to reconstruct what the hell your people got up to during their adventures and their break time to get so weird. I love it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really wish the Plague Doctor had an actual heal. A Healer with Debuffs/DoTs/Stuns would be awesome and she has such a cool character design that I really want to use her.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He's also way cooler than a conventional D&D-type wizard and has excellent taste in headwear and hair care.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What happens if you get wiped by the tutorial bandits?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I gotta say my favorite character so far is the Highwayman. He just fits the tone of the game so well, and the whole shortsword and pistol thing is pretty badass.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Genocyber posted:

Loss conditions are really dumb, and given the obvious influence the Souls games have on this I hope/imagine they will not add one.

Agreed. I am very glad this game does not have a loss condition because I am way more happy to be chill about the RNG when it doesn't mean my entire campaign might get hosed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What, exactly, does Marking do when my Occultist does it to a guy?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That Plague Doctor Buff sounds pretty good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Vestal being able to heal herself while doing damage is pretty great, though, and she's great for emergencies to get people out of Death's Door.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coolguye posted:

There is something super viscerally satisfying about seeing a crit fly off, hearing the announcer crow, and feeling the catharsis from your heroes taunting the enemies and shaking off some stress though so even if they do nerf it some i hope they don't remove it completely.

Yeah. There's a reason the first trailer has the characters panicking some, the Highwayman loving up a skeleton, and one of them declaring "WELL STRUCK! WE HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR!"

Seconds before his death.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

acumen posted:

The afflictions and perks are pretty negligible after about level 2-3 and you have your Sanitarium running. The power differential between a level 5 and a level 1 is incredibly obvious (a level 1 compared to a 0 is too). There are more classes than XCom (10 compared to 1), more skills/weapons compared to XCom, and a more robust customization system. Also coddling your luckiest members/guys with the best stats is pretty much the core gameplay of XCom.

Also most of the gear upgrades in X-COM are straight upgrades instead of actual variety and most of the strategy consists of gaming the engagement system to ensure you only encounter small groups of enemies on your own terms. X-COM (new) is actually pretty repetitive. That's not bad! It's actually still really good and fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, how the hell would burning the books get you Insanity? Everyone knows that's how you AVOID it!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"That'll do, pig. That'll do."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game having a fail state would make it many times less fun to me. I prefer to be able to roll with the losses.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

how me a frog posted:

But then what is the challenge? Just grind your way to success at that point. Why not make it f2p and sell heirlooms for steambux? I hope the devs arent reading this thread cause that would probably work. Duffours resolve is being tested, spend 5 gems to reset stress?

The challenge is 'Goddamnit, Dismas, you're one of the only guys I know by name you can't die now!'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Old X-COM was about losing 6/8 soldiers in early fights. The Rookie Meatgrinder and the Stalingrad that took place at every UFO breach was wonderful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

how me a frog posted:

If you look at the op you will see this described as dark souls and xcom (both notably hard games) put in a blender so I feel "this is not actually hard at all" is a valid criticism. That being said I am dubious aboubt the future of this game as they have to add some more classes and they have proven unable to balance the already existing ones while also failing to make the dungeons distinct in anything but the visual representation.

You are aware Dark Souls has absolutely no fail state, right? That that's a major part of the game?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Viridiant posted:

I was stupidly lucky on my first fight against the Swine Prince. My hellion and highwayman were at death's door almost the entire fight, and the Swine Prince's repeated onslaughts just were not killing them. After they killed the Swine Prince the hellion died to, of all things, Wilbur's Squeal.

SOME PIG!

But not Pig Supreme, that sounds like a rich dessert.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

enraged_camel posted:

Narration was the first thing I turned off.

Just like the character speech bubbles, it's cool at first, but gets old fast once you start hearing the same lines over and over.

I don't really understand why you're playing this game if you're not going to actually enjoy any of the fun parts.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I find it funny that like, everyone's Dismas seems to get talked about, but their Reynaurds are usually the first to die. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gigawhite posted:

I don't understand why people are so crabby about some of us wanting an optional fail state mode. I like this kind of game to have an imperative and the chance to start over from absolute zero. :shrug: I put about ten hours into it and stopped because, until it's completed, there's no reason for me to play the same content over and over with no possibility of game over.

I'd be totally on board with an optional one existing, I just don't want it to be a mandatory part of the game so I can roll with my chill eldritch horror hunting crew's punches.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I go for all the books. I know it's a terrible idea but the Occultist's book-reading pose is so appropriate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I thought leeches were used as an anti-coagulant, not for toxins, since they have the whacky 'keep the blood flowing' saliva and apply suction.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

victrix posted:

I just realized this game is turn based Undying.

Ancestral manors are just bad news. Your Ancestor is always an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

THE BAR posted:

I don't get it.

Cruise-aders.