Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Innerguard posted:

I bought in at the $95 tier and I have no regrets. I've been playing constantly since I got my key, and I've lost three dudes so far.
High five $95 investment buddy, that was such a tempting reward tier :hfive: This is already proving itself as one of the few worth dumping that kind of Kickstarter money at, now I'm really excited about designing the trinket and character.

This game exceeded expectations already, which have been slowly raising to worryingly high levels.

I was feeling super smug because I got through the tutorial and first run without losing anyone, then the RNG gods and my hubris swung back around and I wiped two entire parties in the same place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Did you try hitting a key on the keyboard? It sounds like you may have other problems if the animation isn't there, but there's at least once before the menu screen where it won't do anything until you hit a key, mouse clicks don't seem to register.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

drat, make sure you always have a shovel with you. I've never regretted buying one.

MotU posted:

This is the only game that has ever had me think "Oh man everything is going so well, I don't want to play anymore" because I know it is about to probably take a nosedive
I just finished two really good runs where the stress levels were kept well under control and none of my party members took much damage, and now I'm out of the hole and have some gold to spend. I'm going to just quit for a little bit.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Don't underestimate the Jester's value for this either, stress management got many times easier once I started running with one. I typically let him hang out in the back for a few rounds buffing everyone's accuracy and using his stress reduction ability as needed, then have him come flying to the front and tear some poo poo up at the end. Shuffle him into the back of the group when combat's over, repeat.

His stress reducing ability (edit: Inspiring Tune) currently says it just heals "target", but I've found that it often hits 2-3 party members. It seems kind of random now that I think about it, sometimes it won't hit the specific person I'm targeting, maybe just an incomplete tooltip at this stage.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 1, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I tried that but even with a Jester going full stress song every turn, it still didn't seem to make a huge impact :shrug:
I've found it to be a cumulative effect throughout the whole run, if you pop it at least once every round, the first rank heals 4 stress and will often hit more than one party member, which I've found adds up over time.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I'm really loving the Leper, a class I never gave much thought to until I started using them. They can absorb and dish out some major damage. They're great for a party with a Jester in the back, take a couple turns to buff them up while the rest of the party crowd controls and whittles the enemy down with AoE, then step in and clean house.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Lotish posted:

I had a question about characters going off on a lark: When they leave, they aren't greyed out of the roster, they're straight gone from the roster. If you fill your roster with new recruits in their absence and they come back, do you get them back no matter what, potentially putting you above your roster cut off, or do they not come back until you have an opening, or do they not come back?
I had a hellion leave to explore the world or something after a rowdy night in the brothel, and she ended up coming back after a couple weeks, sliding right back into the roster even though my roster was full. So I had 12 people on my 11 people max roster.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

RottenK posted:

They comment on stuff and each class seems to have unique lines for certain situations.
The Occultist has seemed to have some of the best lines when he snaps from stress and gets Abusive.

From an early run that went south quickly, he started yelling insults at the rest of the party in dead languages and freaking them all out:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Firstborn posted:

When the Crusader did that it was awesome, man. Everyone else, every turn, was saying poo poo like "We are never getting out of here!", and when the Crusader's turn came up and he was knighting people, it actually gave them the "BUFF" pop-up and status. Not sure what it did, but it was awesome. His whole team turned into jello, but he just got stronger.
I don't know if this is true, but it seems like the Crusader class has a better chance of not cracking under stress. I've been really managing my stress so far so I haven't hit the limit too often, but twice now when I've gotten a Crusader to that point, he's rallied up and gotten a great buff out of it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Dackel posted:

I wonder if that will be his class passive, would make sense in a way
It definitely fits the theme. Conversely, whenever I've had an occultist stress out, he absolutely loses his mind.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I think it's a good sign and testament to the game's design how many viable party combinations there already are. I don't feel like it punishes you too much for experimenting with it either, unless you do something really dumb like take 4 plague doctors.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I made a big post on the Steam forums about what improvements I think Plague Doctors and Lepers need.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/2/612823460265142400/

I expect it to become swiftly lost in the howling void that is the steam discussion forums, not sure why I bothered, but I had the thoughts and wanted to get them down somewhere where some dev might see them.
Nice, maybe also crosspost it to the official website forums: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/forums/

Although the site seems to be getting hammered lately and is kinda sluggish. Also you have to deal with the... eccentricities... of a WordPress integrated message board.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Verviticus posted:

in 25+ weeks ive literally never seen a grave digger. i wonder if you need to have stagecoach at a certain level?
Probably because they're called Grave Robbers :spergin:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

My favorite detail is that each character reacts differently to breaking from stress. An abusive Plague Doctor will call her allies idiots with no common sense. A masochistic Leper will complain every time the enemy hits someone other than him because he really wants to die. An irrational Jester will do nothing but laugh and laugh and laugh.

It almost makes me want to intentionally stress out more guys so I can see all the different things they say.
I love these touches, they tie in so well thematically. I haven't seen nearly all of them yet, and I kind of want to make a level 0 group and let them all max out on stress just to see all the different afflictions.

Masochistic Hellions have some great lines, and mine also kept marking herself with the target debuff and yelling for enemies to hit her. Then she refused healing at camp

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

vandalism posted:

I brought in a newly rank 3 leper, highwayman, occultist and vestal to my first level 3 dungeon. gently caress. I didn't realize there would be new enemies. Cthulu worms and troll person were pretty scary, and the drat grave worms actually hit pretty hard now. I survived it and nobody went insane, but it's pretty difficult. I think my guys have bad quirks now and have to heal up some. I'd definitely replace the leper with a crusader to leapfrog the lance with the highwayman. The healing from an occultist plus vestal was good because I got group heals plus big single target ones. Might guys went to death's door a couple times and it was pretty nerve wracking.
Yeah the new monsters were a surprise to me as well. I also tried a level 3 dungeon with level 3 characters and ended up having to abandon before I lost someone. The goal now is to get their armor and skills upgraded to rank 3 before I give it another shot. The extra dodge from level 3 armor seems like it would be especially important now.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I was convinced at first that the trinkets had random stats, like Diablo 3 loot drops or something, because they are confusingly bad. But then I saw the same ones dropping more than once, so these were intentionally designed?

Then again, some of them seem way too good, even the "Common" quality ones. Why yes I will take two Bleeding Pendants, stack both of those on my Hellion, and get +20% damage and +30% chance to bleed skills without any penalties!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I don't remember this being covered already, sorry if it was, but you can do a kinda boring but really effective group of 4 crusaders. Make sure they all have Holy Lance and Inspiring Cry. Holy Lance melts the back couple enemies in just a few moves, then the two crusaders stuck in the back of the shuffle spend their turns spamming Inspiring Cry, which will keep the health and stress levels well under control. And you'll never need torches!

Not the most interesting class to play, but very solid all around and seem great for survivability on Medium-Long runs. Granted, I haven't tried this at higher levels yet, so there may be some mechanics I haven't thought of that will give you trouble.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Night10194 posted:

I gotta say my favorite character so far is the Highwayman. He just fits the tone of the game so well, and the whole shortsword and pistol thing is pretty badass.
I've been experimenting with running two of these with Point Blank and Duelists Advance, then a Grave Robber or two with Shadow Fade. It's a really fun way to play, combat feels more exciting and you don't have to worry about party order.

Then they all died. Replacements haven't rolled in yet.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

ZypherIM posted:

The only problem with 3 crusaders is when you get down to just the front guys you can't holy lance them, so the guy in the 3 slot is dead space at that point. Something like a lunge/pick/fade grave robber works well with that plan though, or a highwayman/bounty.
That's why you give all the crusaders Inspiring Cry, then spam that when you get stuck in the back of the shuffle. Also only 3 crusaders? Child's play.

Honestly the fights get tedious, but you can wreck the Ruins with these guys, and leave with less stress than you came in with, and you save money on torches! I haven't tried the other dungeons much yet though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Hugoon Chavez posted:

:allears: please tell me the other three are Raphael, Donatello and Leonardo.
You know it.

The names fit into the world really well, as a bonus!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I really like the fact that there isn't a built in lose state. You decide your own risk/reward goals on a mission by mission basis, and have the freedom to dick around and experiment if you're not ready to push ahead aggressively yet.

Right now I have 5 characters I've carefully managed to level up and all the best upgrades go to them first, and I don't try the harder missions with them without some planning. As for all the other guys currently on the roster, MORE GRISTLE FOR THE MACHINE

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

I bought this game and did a quick test playthrough of it, got to about week 5-6. Really fun but my hate relationship with RNG games continues :(

Any tips/pitfalls I should be aware of? What should I go about upgrading first as well? I want to say weapons/armour.
My update priority is Skills > Armor > Weapons.

Skills upgrades give you more accuracy, which helps you miss a lot less and makes it harder for monsters to dodge. Armor upgrades give you more dodge and increase your HP, which drastically ups your survival chances.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

Speaking of stalling, not sure if this has been discussed yet, but it's not a valid tactic anymore:
Ah, so that's what this is about :

I forgot about the patch. After a couple rounds without using attack moves, I got that and each character received ~10 stress. Good solution to the issue, I like it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Maybe :shobon:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a fair penalty. Nothing too crippling.
It doesn't appear to get worse either, I tested it out for about 9 rounds and it's still just hitting for 7-10 stress per character (a base value of 10 modified by stress resistances, I'm assuming).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

Does doing a token amount of damage every turn prevent the delay penalty?
It does seem to, I would assume also that the penalty won't apply as long as you use at least one damaging attack, even if it misses or is dodged. My guys are all too good to miss or be dodged, so I wasn't able to test it out that thoroughly :cool:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

Why the hell do these assholes cause so much stress purely by spilling wine on my guy in full plate. :argh:
It's really TEMPTING wine :cthulhu:

Or maybe they all actually have Ablutomania and just can't bear the thought of those stains not coming out :ohdear: Yet more hidden stats

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Night10194 posted:

The challenge is 'Goddamnit, Dismas, you're one of the only guys I know by name you can't die now!'
RIP my Dismas :( He was just no match for that... Bone Courtier? :darkestdungeon: :argh:

At least I still have Reynauld!

paranoid randroid posted:

I keep forgetting this game is like 6 months from actual release. I think that's a good sign.
Yeah the fact that the arguments here are mostly about end game balancing issues as opposed to "the game just completely broke on me" is a very good sign.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Waffle! posted:

I don't want a fail state or a timer. A victory state will be nice when it comes along, but I'm having fun with the endless grind of murder and mythos. I hope there's plenty of options as the game goes on, or maybe unlockable modes after each time you beat it. Hardcore, boss rush, timed, iron man, whatever. Do the devs have any plans for further expansions after the game is complete?
I hope they make buckets of money and keep adding content/DLC for a long time. These guys have helped legitimize both Kickstarter and Early Access in one fell swoop.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

It's not outside the realm of possibility that they'll add a hardcore mode for all the weirdos who want their video games to be some kind of masochistic endurance contest.

The only thing available at launch now is Campaign mode, Hardcore and Oh God What Am I Getting Myself Into would fit on that menu very well!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Fabricated posted:

I kinda like like when negative quirks work out with some sort of theme:
Those are great, I love when that happens.

I've got a Hellion who's seen some weird poo poo go down in the Abbey, gotten kicked out of the Brothel, and now the only thing left is drowning her sorrows at the bar, where she gets too shitfaced for consistent crits.

My favorite positive quirks combo so far was Slayer of Beast and Hatred of Beasts. That Hellion really hated those beasts. RIP whatever your name was, you burned too brightly

On my wishlist is some way to have a little more management of what quirks you can get and/or keep.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Chard posted:

Picked this up the other day and I'm already in a passionate, abusive love/hate relationship with it. I'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the things I can do to/for heroes but I've been having good success running Occultist/PD or Vestal/melee/Leper. I really like Lepers, they make better tanks than Crusaders imo. Holy lance seems really weird?

Anyway, earlier people were posting about thematic quirk progressions. My newest Leper is like that. Aside from various pieces of him dropping off at random, he's also extra sickly, super-extra scared of dying, shits himself constantly, and to top it all off he caught syphilis the very first time he went to the brothel. On the plus side, if it looks vaguely human he can kill it real good. The unluckiest blade swinger in the world

:smith:
drat, that poor guy's got it rough. Isn't having leprosy bad enough?

The Leper has turned into one of my favorite classes. They're just so great thematically, and get some really good lines.

:(

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Legacyspy posted:

Don't do this. Instead just disband your men and recruit some more.
Send this one to journey elsewhere; for we have need of sterner stock.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I noticed in one of the earlier patch notes they mentioned rounding up enemy health so that enemies would no longer have 0 health, is this related to that somehow? I'm not clear on how you can deal a fractional amount of damage, but in the notes from build 7547:

quote:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/262060/announcements/detail/177100196316127138
•Rounded up monster HP in tooltip (so monsters don't show 0 HP)

Ramc posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Darkest Dungeon - I've been trying to get Rabies on my best Leper for exactly this reason.
This thread has some of the best discussions. Also

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

and then you've got a lot of sunk costs in a hero that your probably need to dismiss anyway, just because of the backlog he'll create at the sanitarium.
"Backlog at the Sanitarium" would be a great metal album title :rock:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I use Breakthrough as a finisher now, it's still perfectly serviceable that way, you just can't use it exclusively anymore. Hellions are still so good anyway, it's just a little tougher if they get stuck in the back two slots.

What's everyone's favorite party setup currently? My A-Team right now is, from back to front, Vestal, Highwayman, Hellion, Leper. The Leper sits there soaking up damage and Hewing the poo poo out of the front two guys, while the Hellion axes everything she can reach, stacking bleeds on boss fights whenever applicable. The Highwayman and Vestal hang out in the back sniping, the Vestal healing as needed. Also the Vestal's Judgement is awesome, especially when fully upgraded.

I could probably do two Hellions instead of a Leper, or switch a Highwayman for another ranged class, but this is the most solid group out of all the ones I've experimented with. I've cleared up to the Level 5 bosses with these guys with no major problems. The only thing really lacking is ability to clear Blight and Bleed, but I haven't had those be a big enough issue yet.

And their camping abilities are really solid, Leper gets a self-accuracy buff, Hellion gets a +10 accuracy and +20% Damage to size 2 monsters (all bosses at this point), Highwayman gets the ridiculous Clean Guns buff, and Vestal can toss a +10 dodge, +10 Accuracy on anyone.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 20, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

AngryBooch posted:

And one or two more healing classes. For instance: A frontliner that instead of healing provides protection to the other characters to prevent damage in the first place.
My guess is this is what the Man at Arms is going to be, maybe? Just look at that shield! I love a good tank class.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

I started out with the standard Reynauld. He was my first level 3 hero, as well. Then in a disastrous dungeon run, all three of my other party members died in short order except for him, and he held his own against three enemies, taking Death's Door after Death's Door, killing two of the three before finally being dragged down by the last skeleton. At least he went down with a fight!
These kind of stories are why I rarely ever use retreat. Well that and stubbornness. It's so exhilarating when you can salvage a bad run, I like to hold out the hope that one of my party will rally and turn things around. It doesn't seem to happen for me all that often though!

I lost my first A-Team Hellion recently, a level 4. Thankfully I have another Level 4 I've been alternating runs with. I was able to finish the rest of the dungeon, as I was near the end, but that's the first high level A Team person I've lost.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I wonder if they're going to get him to record any more lines, did they say anything about that? I really hope so, but there are a lot of lines in the game currently, even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes, and I'd imagine they were all done in 1 or 2 VO sessions. Recording more would mean re-hiring the guy, I'd imagine.

Also my Reynauld's still hanging in there, he's almost level 5 and just a few weeks from retirement :ohdear: He's lost his faith (something happened in the abbey; somebody needs to investigate that place) but is still a Kleptomaniac, and has managed to get himself kicked out of the gambling hall and picked up Nymphomania. Hey, everyone deals with the stress in their own way.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 23, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Time_pants posted:

I've unlocked the level 5 Hag fight, but I'm honestly terrified of what that fight is going to look like. What is a good party composition for that fight, and how much damage can I expect one tick in the pot to do? Can a good party handle it at resolve level 5?
I just cleared that with two level 4s and two level 5s and didn't have too much problem with it. The pot was hitting for about 4 each tick, so I didn't find it too punishing. I mostly focused the Hag and ignored the pot, I only stopped to break out my Vestal because she was getting low and was my only real healing option. The biggest problem was my health got whittled down more than I liked on the trash leading up to the boss, and camping wasn't able to fully heal everyone, so I went into the fight a bit worryingly low. I had only one person hit death's door though, and they ended up fine.

I had level 5 Vestal, level 5 Highwayman, Level 4 Hellion, Level 4 Crusader with fully upgraded weapons, armor and abilities. Good ol' Reynauld was in the vanguard on this one :patriot:

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Androgynous stick legs are the future!