Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So hey, how moddable is/is going to be this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

How's the game right now? Worth a buy? I'm incredibly torn between this and PoE, but this seems like it will have more replayability? I loved FTL.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Boing posted:

The game feels like the roguelike elements of FTL combined with the team building elements of XCOM so if you like either/both of those games you'll probably have fun (at least until you've done most of it).

I love how this sounds but I guess I'll wait till it goes out of Early Access :)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Besides those two classes, did they have plans for any more?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I just saw a guy in the Steam community forums say "There's a way to copy your save files for mod bug testing, but I'd rather not state it openly since I'd be enabling casuals"

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So we're just missing the Houndmaster and the Merchant, right?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Snow Job posted:

No actually, there's one other unannounced class that's a reward for one of the big Kickstarter donors.

IIRC that's supposed to be a variant of one of the base classes, right?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I got my refund request approved for this game, just in case it goes on sale again this weekend.

I toyed around through the files and wow, this is pretty easy to edit. Adding new trinkets, altering building bonuses and stuff. I love games this malleable.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I FINALLY found a way to remove "The" and "Estate" from the estate screen. I dunno why, it bothered me :v: Anyways, it's in the miscellaneous strings file. There, you can also edit some other stuff like the Caretaker's lines and stuff. It's nice to be able to alter small stuff like this - reminds me of Dungeon of the Endless.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Or just get three other misfits like her and send them on a short, no torches, four food items run :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Okay somehow I've managed to kill the Necromancer and the Prophet guy without a single casualty so far. I'm going to get destroyed by the other bosses aren't I.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Holy poo poo I just did the Hag in one go without losing anyone :gonk:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Holy poo poo the cannon boss is such bullshit. My entire team misses the matchman, the cannon fires and leaves everyone on Death's Door. Then it calls for Reinforcements, gets a rifle Brigand and the Brigand immediately acts, using his Blanket Fire skill to kill my entire team at the same time. I'm lucky it was only the B Team but still, wow.

Edit: They really need a Bestiary so I can see what the gently caress some skills do.

Azran fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 27, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Uh... Yeah, MaAs seem REALLY strong. Four of them just riposte'd the Piggy Prince to death :stare:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I wonder what role the Merchant will play. It'd be fun to have a Bribe skill so you can use Human enemies' skills against their allies, but aside from something like that or "Throw Money" I can't think of much combat utility :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Hahahaha yes, I'd love to have a money shotgun :black101:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

:lol:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I think the lack of a fail state is noticeable mostly since there is no win state right now. So if you can't win at least make it so you can lose? I dunno. I kinda like being able to gently caress around forever, myself.

On that note, I killed the Flesh, only the Cannon left (Tier ones, at least.) My problem right now is that there aren't enough good characters at low level in my roster. :v:

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had their characters or trinkets disappear? I see some reports about that and I am concerned. Unrelated to that, jesus game stop giving me witch doctors and occultists.

Azran fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 28, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Crasical posted:

Sometimes your heroes at the bar will get drunk and 'misplace' them, and presumably some peasant nicks them and pawns them. Sometimes they will wager them in the gambling hall and lose them. I don't believe this ever happens at the brothel or the chapel, though.

Yes, I know about these. I mean that it literally disappear forever from your roster - a guy on Steam had Dismas disappear like that. He wasn't in the roster or taking space, he wasn't in the graveyard yet he never reappeared.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Cirofren posted:

How hard would it be to double the cost as well as capacity of the last three barracks upgrades?

The files in this game are easily altered - Notepad ++ is great for this. Just loving around with it, I've managed to
- Alter hero lines

- Change the Caretaker's appearance and lines

- Change building icons and text

- Change skill names and descriptions

- Change the effect of town buildings and their cost

- Remove "The" and "Estate" from the name bar in the menu.

And this is what you can do just by toying around with it for a bit - you can also add or modify classes, trinkets and skills by learning some extra steps. It's really, really cool that the game's files are so accessible.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The Cannon is an endurance fight. Keeping it from firing more than once is an absolute must, and having a good balance of area damage and hard hitting single target skills is pretty much required. I beat it by cheesing Riposte + dodge camp skills with 4 MaAs.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, Cove is next. Then I suppose they'll do some rebalancing passes on stuff like economy, just they did with diseases and traits (it was on the document for the previous update). After that I don't think there's anything else, content-wise, planned aside from the Darkest Dungeon and maybe the Merchant (they said they didn't knew if the Merchant would be finished before full release).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

To fall for such a little thing... a bite of bread!

I still get lines I've never heard before, they've thought of almost every situation with the narration.

I absolutely cannot wait for the Darkest Dungeon Dota announcer.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

According to their twitter, next update (Cove update) in two weeks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

There's the Darkest Dungeon planned, two classes (Merchant and the Lord-tier backer class) and from then on I guess they could eventually add some expansions to the game after release.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

quote:

Merchant class is planned for right after launch. We have an awesome community and plan to support the game post launch.

:toot: Can't wait to see what these guys devise as expansions/dlc.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I haven't played since the patch that added Man-At-Arms. Is there a changelog somewhere? Looking at Steam was not very informative.

Hound Master got added, Merchant and Abomination will be coming after release and in November, respectively.

Aside from that, now there's (optional) corpses that gently caress with enemy and your positioning since enemies don't move around anymore when one of them dies, there's a new dungeon full of bleed, Innsmouth fellows and Pirates of the Caribbean extras (The Cove), diseases are are temporary negative effects that your dude might catch while on an dungeon and you get some money off the stuff you bought but didn't use when you go back to the estate. Also Heart Attacks if your guy gets 200 Stress.

Also some general rebalancing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So what happened to the alternate skin poll thing that was backer-only? Which were the options and which one won?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

That should have a +stress drawback or something. I hate that fucker.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Can a kind goon link me the Less Crests mod one of you made? I can't find the link.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You guys saw the post about the newest character class over on the main site, right?

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/the-antiquarian/

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

For those in here who mod the game, how easy is it to make a new class if you reuse some other class' art files (unlike say all the custom classes over at the Nexus, which stand out like crazy)? I have some skill ideas I want to try out.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

It's such a weird disadvantage - it's not like he has some special synergy with those classes that would make it broken to team him up with them. You can mod it out if you like though.

Wait, really? Where is the parameter or whatever I have to edit?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Node posted:

Someone earlier mentioned something about a DD expansion. Has that been confirmed?

Nope, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear they are planning an expansion.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I got the "Beat a boss with 4 afflicted heroes" achievement when I went to fight the Swine King and forgot to pack torches, and every encounter had those annoying wretches that vomit on you. When I arrived to the boss, the entire party was Abusive or Selfish. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Are there any changes in NG+ wrt Narrator lines?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Is there a particular author or series of books that the writing in this game is based on? I only know Lovecraft and it's been a while so I couldn't say if the writing style itself is similar or just the Eldritch horror.

Aren't the pigmen a reference to the House on the Borderland?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Antiquarian coming next week, by the way. Red Hook posted a picture of a run with it and holy poo poo the rewards.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cc3sYm7WwAARXsv.jpg:large

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, I don't understand the comic either. Also re: rewards, I haven't ran any Champion dungeons yet besides from killing bosses so I had no idea that was expected :v:

Regarding the release date, they said "next week" yesterday, so it can be either this week or the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

First Darkest Dungeon quest down! Shambler down! No survivors even though I packed like 12 bandages! My best Hellion, Crusader, Vestal and Grave Robber dead. :downs:

Oh well, at the very least it was my first attempt.