Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I went 5 or 6 missions before actually completing one, and my whole roster is level 0-1. I upgraded my coach so I get 4 newbies every week, so I'm not worried about running out of fresh flesh. I noticed most of the available missions are level one now that I've completed two. Does the game stop giving you low level missions at some point? Should I just keep pushing on into the darkness, or is an early restart worth doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Cool, thanks guys. I'll keep stumbling around then.

The guide said it's easier to throw away heroes that get 3 afflictions when they are low level, so should I just fire anyone that hits three? Are there things you would say make it worthwhile to stick with a character who has started losing it?

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Good to know about the quirk stuff. I hope this game does well, as I loved tactics: advance and war of the lions, which this has similar vibes to. Much more difficult than those, but that makes it interesting.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I have camped late in the three boss runs I've done, but only because it's my A team and they kick the poo poo out of the dungeon. I usually get half in with a little stress and damage, camp to top off and get buffs, then take out the fight or two left before the boss.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I think the game's difficulty is in a really good place. I run my group with high light and don't sperg out over optimal bullshit, and am having a great time. Sure it's not super punishing 15 weeks in, but it's still dangerous. I think for the majority of people it might still be too hard, but that fits how the devs are describing it. This thread is full of posters who are spreadsheet smashing the game, and I really don't think you guys saying you want it harder are who the devs are targeting. Go play nethack or whatever old man nostalgia you're talking about.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

You really shouldn't have to do this, but does anyone know if you can just copy the game save file? That'd be a good protection against full wipe like that. That really sucks invictus, and no, iron rose, it really shouldn't delete everything losing power like that. I've killed my computer a few times while playing and it saved my progress mid fight perfectly. My game just crashes if I click or do anything while a level is loading.

How can I their a character is religious? Is it just the perks related to the Abbey?

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Good to know it's in the thread somewhere. I wonder if a system back-up restore would take you back in progress/ to having a party.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

For party comp I feel maxing out roster size is more important than what actually goes in the party, since it's pretty easy to build a team that works well enough. The holy trinity is always a safe bet, though I really like two grave robbers with lunge and a jester with solo, dirk, and ballad. Vestal sits behind and heals while they dance all over the place. It can get dicey since none of them have much health, but they can kill anywhere and opening with a double shadow fade is stupid amounts of dodge.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

As has been said before, retreat retreat retreat. Death with newbies and the callous building this game has is such an interesting part of it, though since they're newbies, it's low risk losing them.

For example with playing cautiously, I took my newly upgraded level 3 A team into the veteran hag and realized quickly there was no way I could kill her. I have pretty good scout though, so I just avoided her fight and made money on the run exploring the rest of the dungeon and quitting. Holy poo poo are dogs hard to hit, and yes my skills are level 3. Standard comp of vestal, highwayman, hellion, crusader.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I haven't lost anyone I care about yet, and I know it's coming now that I've realized it. Hearing about other people losing characters just makes realize that I love all my precious babies, and the game just wants to take them away from me. :ohdear:

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

As much as it is a very silly mechanic, importing a friend list from Facebook would be great for this game.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

So I got two of the health protection trinkets on my crusader, he's level 4 with 70 hp and 10% protection, all for the low low cost of -2 speed. What exactly does protection do? I only found some dude claiming each 5% is 3 damage reduction.

I also still really recommend any strategy using multiple lunge/lancers, the damage and mobility is a lot of fun. I'd recommend it most for short dungeons, since they do really well while rolling, but a medium usually tires them out enough they need some hookers and booze on returning.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

So take four crusaders wearing protection trinkets in, instead of one.

I really hope they don't nerd hellion or grave robber, they feel like where everyone should be. Highwaymen and vestals are good, and crusader most of the time feels right. If only my leper would stop missing every time I don't have him buff...

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I think it would be good if they added a failure state that was a 'hard' mode or something, so poopsockers/unemployed/Koreans would have their xcom like, and normal people can say gently caress that insane bullshit. Character death is the failure state, like rogue legacy. The rogue like or light, whatever, genre is awesome because it scratches a difficulty itch similar to dark souls while not being a real kick in the teeth like old games were *cough rogue cough*. The genre is evolving with games like darkest, and I feel it's a great direction. Purists might want a sub genre for the less hard core games like darkest, but rogue likes really don't need to resemble metal sub genres.

Edit: What it really needs is a really hard place where characters have a decent chance of dying, we could call it something like the darkest dungeon maybe...

Brutor Fartknocker fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 24, 2015

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I only say just do an optional failure state because some people keep saying they want it. I would never play the game with a failure state, it's just too much invested to lose it all ever, for any reason. I love ftl, and I played it quite a bit. Darkest takes so much longer than ftl though, and that's why I feel they both work the way they are.

That sounds pretty cool angry diplomat, especially if there was either a new game plus or post game to kick around in. Choose four heroes(or more) who keep their trinkets and quirks, but get set back down to level one for a fresh start.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Am I the only one who is happy about getting to the point where I'm about finished upgrading buildings? I'm only 40 some weeks in, but am enjoying having the resources to manage my full roster while buying trinkets.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I'm also really happy about the turn order qol update, since it is the dankest dungeon. :350:

Maybe that's part of my enjoyment even though I'm hitting level 4 with most of my characters and have a healthy wardrobe of Sun/moon gear.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Just so you know, protection doesn't do anything to the damage people take from being in the pot. I left my crusader is there a while, thinking between his absurdly large health pool and high prot he wouldn't even feel it, but by the time I busted the pot he was really low health. His health pool alone was enough, but he took far more damage than I had wanted him to.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

So as I don't think the devs need go this far, more getting into modding territoy, I think it'd be cool to write my own characters dialogue. Setting up relationships, friendships, rivalries, etc. Especially if with some tweaking you could share your characters with other people's, especially friends, so they get your copy of them saying stupid poo poo they always say. Just thinking of the adventure time episode where Finn plays god with the magic dolls of all his friends.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I know spider problems are rare, but I have only had characters die to spiders. Usually they're not too bad, but sometimes they just crit and dodge the gently caress out of everything. Spiders/maggets/dogs can just be annoying as poo poo when you are at level and their dodge is still really good.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

So I shouldn't be trying to consistently level up heroes, and should instead view them as a disposable resource?

Exactly. I upgraded my roster size quickly to have tons of people to juggle and help others as needed. One level 2 can really carry some 1s and 0s through a level one dungeon. Fire people if they have three or more bad quirks. If they have poo poo like won't pray it really doesn't matter.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

So I realized giving all my characters tastes, eg. I love sending my hellions to the brothel, makes gold use and quirk juggling more interesting. I can't have only meditation, they've gotta touch some butts.

Also characters should just wear all the trinkets they find. After a few dungeons they have a sufficient amount of bling, and can fight better as they slowly turn into walking piles of trinkets.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I listen to shifty techno the whole time or adventure time, I don't know why you'd listen to the game after 4 hours. However, I would pay 20$ for any game that can match the first four hours of this game. If only money could pay for better game design.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

A healer with two grave robbers and a jester is a really fun team. No matter what happens the jester can reset party order. Lunges with battle ballad rolling are ridiculous too.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Sun and moon gear is very good, just make sure to bring appropriate torches/light affecting abilities.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah, I did giant spiders a few times and got a crew member killed every time and learned to say gently caress no, that is absolutely not worth it. Could I steal meds from behind the counter after clubbing the pharmacy worker and get away before the cops show? Maybe, but not often enough to make ever doing it worth it.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

If anyone is wondering the trinket changes are extremely minor. Sun/moon stuff got slightly better, a few things got worse (poor hellions), but mostly nothing changed. At least as far as I'm concerned, all the drawbacks are still too heavy to make using 90% of the trinkets worth it.

Guess I'll still be waiting for the new content to come back to this.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I would say throw an occultist in there for marks or healing, but that team lineup is really good at taking down healthy enemies. After the mark, each collect doing double makes up for the mark action with one hit, and gets a 'free' swing in on the second hit. If something is still alive past then the utility is great, but I would much rather have a more mixed up team comp for some aoe when I hit spiders/maggets/dogs.

Is 4 bh probably the highest dps theoretically? Yes, but only against a wall of health like a boss. Most other fights are much less efficient for them.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Bounty hunters: Yup.

I wish trinkets in general were closer to sun/moon gear in effectiveness, because while I would say that Sun/moon is op, it's more like nothing else is really worth it. Keeping light high or low is such a nonpenalty, and all the bonuses are baller. Exception being the ring I think, it's just trash. Cloaks and bracers all day long.

I don't know, someone give me examples of using trinkets with negatives and explain how it is worth it, since crusader shields with minus speed are the only ones I care to use, because holy poo poo tanks.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Thanks for the sell on some of those trinkets, I was super hesitant to take any negatives whatsoever.

I guess I don't care about 4 bh teams because they seem boring to me. Also, whenever I'm fighting a group of enemies, I shuffle and focus the annoying weak ones in the back and stun lock all the big things which bh damage comes in handy for.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Do you guys open all the curios, even when you don't have the items for interacting with them? That's the only way the amount of loot you're talking about seems possible. For me all my characters just go crazy from bad interactions, so I pretty much never touch anything in most dungeons except for the one or two items I'll bring for level specific stuff.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Ok, the triage of curio interactions seems like a pretty good way to do it. Now to go pull up that reddit sperglord's curio list...

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

That's way better, thanks!

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Definitely the best part of fleeing is saying gently caress no to every single time you get surprised at the start of a fight. Never fight with a shuffled team, just walk away, relight up, and come back hoping to surprise them.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I edited the file that lets you have a larger roster of dudes, and the game feels way better to me now. Also there's a bug where when equipping trinkets on the choose a mission screen while you have more people than vanilla allows, it crashes. It doesn't happen when equipping trinkets in town though, so it's easy to avoid.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I cannot recommend changing the roster size values up a few slots a level more, it made the game go from, "I don't care to touch this game since the beginning is such an awful grindfest", to "gently caress yes I love everything about this".

Seriously just edit that poo poo, the game is so much easier in a small way when you edit it, and it's not like you're reducing damage or anything about the actual dungeons.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Well, played a mission, and while I like most of how everything feels, gently caress finishing a mission and getting diseases and negative quirks. gently caress this build, diseases should not be that loving common for how much a character with one is completely worthless. Maybe if it was just a spot of gold without a sanitarium slot and a weeks wait to heal the disease it wouldn't be so bad. Sad to see trinkets only continue to get worse, why have them in the game when 95% aren't worth using, unless you're using two together to offset each other for a slight gain. I was really enjoying the last build too. :suicide:

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I recommend two grave robbers, a jester, and a vestal. You'll never have issues hitting where you want to, you don't care about shuffling, and have the hilarity of a mob of idiots leap frogging all over each other to murder things.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Something changed with this patch and now having the roster size edited is continuously crashing my game. As soon as I open up the trinket menu and a character at the same time, I get a

Assert Failed:

(s_widget_parameters_pool_size < c_WidgetParameterMaxPoolSize)

GUI_AppendWidget in gui.cpp line 983

Out of widget parameters

Anyone have any idea how to edit this? I'm comfortable editing c++ files, but I'm not sure where or if I even could make edits to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I feel like a dumbshit, it totally caps out at 32 characters. Thanks goons.