Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I am finding this game a lot harder than DD1. DD1 was grindy, but being able to escape from fights and return to town really made things much less stressful on me, the player. Here, I'm watching my poor dudes get wrecked by lair bosses with no choice but to watch them all die. Though the time I beat the Leviathan with my Hellion and Flagellant left standing was pretty great, and they even made it to the next inn where they picked up a Jester and Occultist. I'm currently stuck on the Resentment boss... because I've only reached it once since my runs keep crashing and burning when I get overoptimistic about a teams abilities.

I haven't unlocked many hero abilities yet, doing them one at a time to completion is probably not optimal. Got PD, Jester, Vestal, and Highwayman fully unlocked, working on Occultist next..

Is there any point to abandoning runs before you have characters with Memories? Or is it best to send them on to their deaths for the additional candles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Met the Antiquitarian for the first time on the road in my last run. She got chumped, shoulda joined up with my team instead.

Last run was extremely close to beating the Seething Sigh, killed off one of the lungs and got the boss down to about 25% overall, but couldn't quite get enough damage in before I got my Flagellant deathblowed by a dot and then it all slowly spiraled away.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Got through the Seething Sigh on my 4th attempt where I reached it, never felt terribly concerned at any point in the fight. Got the gooey blobs at the last Academic's hideaway that clear all dots and heal for 25%, and I only ended up using 2 of the 6 equipped at the start of the fight.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Aaaaand on my immediate following run I got cocky and got slowly overcome by a shambler because I couldn't deal with the shuffling of my party about.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

My experience as a newbie is that she does decent but not great damage while applying a decent amount of blight, and can be effective from multiple positions. Having a decent self-heal/buff is handy as well if you're only running one class with healer capabilities. I've found her to be pretty useful.

e: I am a huge sucker for big numbers in this game. Pretty much any time I can run a Jester who gets Finale set up right or an Occultist with The Burning Stars, I want to see if I can land 50+ crits. Even if that big number is only really useful against bosses.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 13, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Just got through Focused Fault, I never got a chance to fight it before it got nerfed but that's a real hard goddamned fight even as is.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Had a run a couple days ago that seemed guaranteed to get me past Focused Fault. It was a blessed run, took out the Sleeping General on the very first stop of the run, then met and stomped Death for the first run, then was forced into a Shambler fight that I was sure would be the end of things in the Sluice but came through it easily. Beat two more bosses on the way to the mountain and felt ready to take on the world, with oodles of buffs and every character having a positive relationship. Then the eyes focus fired on my Jester at the start of the fight and he couldn't manage one measly death blow resist. C'est la guerre.

So of course I ended up getting through two tries later with a team comp that included a Runaway and also included the first time I'd ever let the oblivion tears buff the confession boss.

Are you locked out of re-running earlier bosses until you complete the game? Seems like that for me.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ah, that makes sense. now that i have some spare candles and have unlocked everything but the final inn item for each character i figure i can start putting memories on some folks.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Holy moly Sepsis.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I was also running a Grave Robber and Plague Doctor in full blight spec. More importantly, I had the cultist trinket that makes your character cause 6 blight when hit. I put that on the Flagellant, and he got et up by the Leviathan twice. Apparently, when it causes damage to him after being grabbed by the hand, that counts for applying blight to the head. I didn't realize it until I went to heal him via Sepsis and saw the big number. At which point I got ready to take a screenshot.

Pretty sure a perfect setup can get you over the 200 damage that the final boss limit break does.

That group made it to the final boss, which I did blind. Between Gut of the Coward having 100 blight resist and not knowing you needed to kill the Proclaimers to get the chance to do a limit break my last remaining character, the Leper, died with the third stage at 21 HP remaining. I would have definitely won if I'd focus fired the Proclaimers from the start, because my Flagellant died on the first Death's Door he faced in that phase before having a chance to Face His Fears and thus I missed out on 200 damage.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Second try at finishing the game went smooth as hell.

Didn't even get to use all of the Exaltations, I did 400 damage to the boss before Barristan could finish off his ghost. Used a single healing item the entire stage of the fight, pretty sure I could have killed the boss without doing a single Exaltation.

Good game, very much enjoyed it.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 21, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

temple posted:

don't spoil it

Good job quoting what you were mad I "spoiled" so that even though I added spoiler tags it'll stick around in the thread.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Honestly, I'm at the point where I assigned memories to people and want them to die so I can give them to my eventual grand slam party.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Seeing this thread pop back up got me to try the DLC, and I got to see something I'd never seen before when I beat the game on release:

My first ever polycule!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The flagellant. lol.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I see that the leper is now immune to leperosy, which, good job devs!

I'm enjoying the changes since release, mostly.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dreaming General is the easiest stage boss IMO once you're wise to his schtick. By way of comparison, I think LIbrarian isn't that bad but is the hardest if you have the wrong team composition. Both want you to be able to hit the back row, Librarian wants you to actually damage the back row.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

IIRC you don't have to actually hurt the taproot in the Sleeping General fight to get it to release someone, even combat items like blinding grenades work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

IIRC you get whatever you unlock for your next run, so don't go too hard on any one thing because you'll fill up your inventory right off the bat if you have a ton of candles.