Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Androc posted:

Never seen one of those, where was it? Does it only show up on dark runs?

It's actually kinda hard sometimes to get it in dark runs, because you need 1 thing that you never take to a dark run: a torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

drat, so hosed now that both my Vestals are level 3 and refuse to do any low-to-medium runs, but I don't really have any level 2's I'd put with them for a Veteran run and now that my one Occultist is dead, I have zero healers.

Tried to go through one of the long 2-camp runs with Man-At-Arms, Plague Doc, Arbalest, and Leper and I had every room of the 20 or so rooms cleared except for one and I just ran out of gas and had to loving retreat before a heart attack, god damnit. Not having at LEAST one Occultist or Vestal really makes the longer runs impossible.

I mean I understand the seperating of teams into levels appropriate for the dungeon difficulty, but the roster level is just way too small for me. There's probably mods for that.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Coolguye posted:

I posted how to do it a few pages back, though it's not exactly marked or anything so there's no reason why you should've been able to find it.

Sweet, thanks a lot! It was in DarkestDungeon\campaign\town\buildings\stage_coach\stage_coach.building.jso for me

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

It gets a little silly when he starts yelling about how you're DAZED REELING ABOUT TO BREAK when you get critted for like 2 damage off a swinetaur's backhand, though.

It's not your body that's breaking

it's your sanity

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Sephyr posted:

Values seems fine on my end, at least.

Is the Man-at-arms really that great? I only had one for a short time before he died, and he didn't seem that hot. No others have shown up in the hero cart since, so I can't try it out again.

I really like the Vestal/Arbalest/Bounty-Hunter/Crusader party, tough. Plenty of stuns that then become extra damage for the dps, moderate healing, two sources of marking and some decent debuffs.

As far as heroes go, I love the Jester and Grave Robber, but their position dancing means that things can go bad really quick if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time, and sometimes they can push a frontline-focused guy out of place right when he needs to be there the most.

Man-at-Arms Riposte was really too good, haven't tried it since the newest patch that nerfs it.

Old version:

Riposte works from any of the first front rows AND hits one of the first 3 enemies. Pretty insane flexibility.
Riposte's parry ability works even if you miss!
Parry is infinite, so it doesn't just parry once, it parries everything hitting you (including AoEs), until your MaA's turn.
Parry also procs when an attack has no intrinsic damage component.
Parry also procs when the enemy misses or you dodge.
Parry can crit, which heals stress for your party.
Parry can also stun the opponent.
Parry also buffs your PROT. Imagine the crusader/leper PROT buff skill, but only lasting 1 turn, but on the other hand, attached to an attack, which parries. Insane.

And this is only 1 of his skills.

All his buffs are party wide, his camp skill buffs are insanely good it's ridiculous, he has a move of 2, he has a front 1 attack

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

No, it still lasts as long as every other buff. So using Riposte over multiple turn stacks up 2-3x the prot (it's always been less base prot than the other protection buffs though.)

They lowered the base damage and removed the stun. Still pretty fantastic.

I must be blind, I thought it only lasted during Riposte. I mean less base prot is fine, since unlike other buff skills you actually do an attack and an extra thing too.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Periodiko posted:

Is it me or are interactable doodads in dungeons lame and disappointing. You either have to memorize the effects possibly using spoilers or risk wasting items, because a ton of the item interactions are not intuitive at all, and there really isn't much strategy or depth to them even when you know what items to use.

At the very least, it seems really dumb that you can choose to use items that don't actually do anything, and then the item is just wasted. At that point it's just memorization/consulting a list.

It's experimentation, but it's consistent. So unless you have good memory, just consult a Curio guide. No shame in it. You still won't 100% get what you want, you just get a better return on investment, and you get better at bringing the "correct" amount of supplies to a run.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I find Jesters to be in a really weird spot personally, same as Plague Doctors. It's hard for me to find justification in putting them in a party in spite of another class. Maybe the introduction of Class passives will change that.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

TheBlandName posted:

Today brought the greatest patch. AoE attacks from enemies no longer crit everyone in your party at once.

Heal crits give stress relief!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Yessss permanent quirks are coming! And of course Doggymaster

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Azran posted:

So we're just missing the Houndmaster and the Merchant, right?

Houndmaster coming in July

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Riposte, the guard move to protect an ally, maybe the Forward 1 skill if your formation screws up the 4th is whatever

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Google Docs Curio Interactions

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

Picked this up from last sale, pretty fun/interesting.

One gripe though: It's hard to tell just how much provisions you should be bringing along. I usually get one full stack of food (12) and two full stacks of torches (16). I haven't run out of food yet, but I've come really close a few times.

Should I be bringing shovels or bandages or anything else?

It's always better to be on the safe side with food and shovels. I usually bring 1/2 a stack + 1/2 * difficulty, but less for Warrens and Weald because you can get food as rewards. But it's always better to take more food. It's cheap, it stacks to 12, and you can use it as a healing potion (it heals a % of max HP, so heal your big dudes first if possible).

As for the other curios, take a look at some of the curio list people have linked. Some supplies have no interactions at all in certain dungeons (e.g. no curio interacts with antivenom or bandages in the Ruins). You could take them to cure blight/bleed, but that's personal preference. I'd rather take more food instead.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

:aaa: This is good to know. I guess my guys are so low level, I just assumed it only ever heals 1hp.

Also I just got absolutely wrecked by the Hag. RIP my B-Team including my only Leper.

I think most people's first real roadblock was the Hag. No way to just bruteforce like the Necro if you're not prepared. We've all been there :)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Crasical posted:

I've kind of wondered about that. Are you paying these guys? At minimum they seem to be getting free food and board in your barracks, free discretionary funds for 'leisure activity', free funds for equipment and training, and free 'health insurance' at the Sanitarium. Are they getting a cut from the treasure you bring back?

Plot twist, your whole estate is the Sanitarium and you're just housing all the exiled crazed loonies

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

Per the official DD twitter, the Jester is "getting some love" in tomorrow's patch. Might help with the lack of purpose issues?

Was just about to post it, glad he's getting some love

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Crasical posted:

I've heard that the Shambler can show up without being summoned if you spend a lot of time in pitch blackness, but I don't know if it's actually true or not.

On a short mission with a relatively fresh team it's sometimes worth the risk, but I'd never call one if I knew I had a boss battle ahead of me.

I started a bunch of new games and killed off the first 2 dudes by snuffing out the torch and dieing at the last fight, and once I got him in the first hallway before the first bandit fight.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/0/528398719793209528/

You can now turn off heartattack and corpse mechanic in options if they upset you too much (default is on)

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

I didn't expect them to cave so quickly. on one hand it's great they continue to react so quickly to feedback but on the other hand the community for this game has proven to be the whiniest pussies to the point they'll endlessly downvote a game they "like." oh well, having options is a good thing regardless

In the end it's still a single player game, so having options is never bad. I personally love the corpse mechanic, but to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

FourLeaf posted:

Am I crazy, or are stacks of books super useless and never worth the risk? There's 40% chance you'll get a quirk (as opposed to nothing or a stress trap), and still 1/3 of a chance after that that the quirk will be bad. Torches just give you an extra bad stress trap.

Always skip books, unless you are on a "no heartattack - maximum crazy" run, then by all means, burn all the books.