Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
As someone who played the first Darkest Dungeon from the earliest beginning of early access to the very, I remain optimistic, since I remember how much they constantly tweaked things then.

This sequel has some great ideas, now they just need to be fine-tuned and re-balanced for a while.

Oh, and I've beaten Denial three times now. The latest run had Occultist who picked up Breacher from Academic's Study near the beginning. Was a barrel of laughs that one, with Leper in the team, let me tell you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
They also massively buffed the boss of Denial.

SKILL CHANGES

HP raised to 90 for all locks, increasing overall HP of battle to 360 from 300

Shared skill Paralyzing Fear now inflicts Vulnerable in addition to the existing 75% chance of Stun

Latch of Regrets Ruptured Vessel now inflicts Weak

Bolt of Lamentations Mental Lashes now inflicts Blind

BEHAVIORAL CHANGES

Whichever Lock uses Denial will also use their unique attack that round, increasing the total number of attacks each round by 1

Locks will abide by the 3 round Denial cooldown as long as 3 or more Locks remain

At 2 Locks, they no longer respect cooldown; one of the two will always use Denial and their unique skill

At 1 Lock, the remaining monster will use its Denial and unique every round

In addition, each Lock generates a unique buff on all surviving Locks when it dies. These buffs last for the duration of the fight.

Fixed several Hero skills that were inappropriately locked by certain Denials

This is some insane poo poo, I gotta say.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
The boss of Denial is now insanely over-tuned. It needed a bit of boost, but man oh man, not 4 different boosts.

Panfilo posted:

I feel like breakthrough could afford to be a bit stronger.

As they are now, Breakthrough is a bad skill and so is Highwayman's Grapeshot.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Panfilo posted:

There's an argument to be had that aoe itself is useful since hits will remove block dodge and taunt tokens. But you really have to make it worth the while. Some of them are - Harvest, Amanesis and magnesium rain are fine. But you'll note those are the ones that apply DoT. The AoE that don't are much more situational. What's annoying is that they've really balked at things that would make them better. Aoe skills that apply combo via mastery still only give you a 33% or 50% chance for it to stick.

Breakthrough should at least be brought in line with other winded skills. Right now the main gimmick with such skills is using trinkets that proc on hit so you'll occasionally weaken and Daze targets.

I've noticed that PD and Occultist work well together against those loving Cherubs with Abyssal Artillery and Plague Grenade. Problem with AoE though is that if you're Blinded or Weakened, it applies to all of the hits in that action. OTOH, if you're strengthened, it does apply to both hits as well.

Not terribly impressed with trinkets that have low chances of proccing something. Just getting more guaranteed damage or hp seems superior in most cases. There are some crazy good exceptions though, I got one that gave a guaranteed heal every turn (still died against the recently buffed boss of Denial, thanks to it stunning + damaging two heroes per round and bombarding me with other poo poo all the while)

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I scraped a win against the boss of Denial for the first time after the patch hit, with no-one dying. I had gotten a good run with three chars having positive relationships with each other going into the boss, had used specific Inn items to prepare, switched to a specific trinket for the boss, had good combat items, and formed a solid plan how to proceed.

And it still came down to me passing multiple Death's Door checks in a row, several times.

I still stand by the claim that poo poo's way over-tuned for the boss of Act One outta five.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Managed to beat the boss of Denial for the second time since the patch hit, with Hellion, Jester, Runaway and PD.

I had gotten really lucky, and 3 characters had +Stun resist trinkets (2x +20% and 1x+25%) and the fourth had a +Stun Resist poultice applied at the Inn (+40%?, I think), and everyone was rocking almost all-mastered skills, plus good party attack combat items.

And I still almost ate poo poo, lmao. It's loving wild when a blinded enemy first connects an attack and then that attack Stuns you right through your boosted stun resistance twice in a row. Went down to the usual "rolling multiple death's door checks every round and praying like hell I can kill it before it kills me"-song and dance, but nobody died, thanks to Hellion critting like goddamn queen on Howling End several times, and PD's Mastered Cause of Death being a very good skill in this comp.

Xibanya posted:

Hmm, considering all the shaders vs. a bunch of goofy puns and allusions...yes, this is definitely my most important contribution to the game.

I just wanted to say that I love the special party names, so thanks for that. :)

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
My latest two runs ended up being very different. I beat the Dreaming General and the Final Boss on both of them, but on the second run I lost two characters.

On the first (PD, Jester, MAA, Hellion), immensely successful run I got a trinket that gives 33% chance of getting an extra turn when hit, and gave that to MAA, which was hilariously overpowered, and the Hellion-exclusive trinket that provides 25% chance of getting a crit token every turn, also hilariously overpowered. PD was given a trinket that had 15% of blind on every hit and a trinket that gave 15% of vulnerable on every hit, which was also rather strong.

The second run (PD, Occ, HWM, MAA) I had worse luck with trinkets, with the only standout being a +8% crit chance trinket from Academic's study, and got a lot of lovely traits. Punch-drunk+ in particular almost ruined the whole run when it procced two times on a row (-5% crit chance, 15% to get stunned every time you're hit).

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Couple of failed runs trying out new comps, where I abandoned runs due to getting loving splattered by RN, then went in with MAA, Runaway, GR, and PD and managed to get both the MAA exclusive trinket to gain extra actions on hit, and the non-exclusive trinket with better chance to get extra actions on hit. Turns out the % chance does not stack, but they are both rolled separately. It was pretty wild when both procced on a singly hit when fighting the final boss.

I think Runaway needs a bit of rework. Run Away and Hearthlight are pretty drat useless, Controlled Burn is underpowered and situational, and Backdraft requires way too much set up for too little pay-off. Firestarter comboed with PD is awesome though.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Next big content patch on May 18th.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I hope it hits the main branch soon, those changes are massive and very welcome.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
That's a weird way to implement a new hero when there's only nine heroes so far.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Decided to give DDII a whirl after the last few patches.

Met the Cultist Exemplar, which is unavoidable region 3 Guardian fight and another unavoidable fight at the Mountain. Hahahahaha, gently caress you game.

Googled "Cultist Exemplar" and several of the first page hits were people complaining on different threads Reddit about how ridiculously over-tuned it is and one of the devs thanking them for valuable feedback.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Ainsley McTree posted:

To be fair, this is very much the kind of thing that early access is for. I checked it out early on but decided to put it down until the full release, I suck at these kinds of games even when they’re fully tuned, I knew the risks

I played the first game's through earliest early access, and I don't remember them ever initially over-tuning anything to this degree.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
There's a big update with huge changes to the meta-game coming up.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
New narration spoilers:

That bastard, I knew he was involved.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Chamale posted:

The difficulty seems to be the same in each region, except for the cultists.

Not quite. There's two versions of the enemies, including bosses, normal and "ordained", who got higher base stats and damage output. The further you are, the greater the chance that any given enemy is ordained.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I reached the boss of Act 3 for the first time and managed to scrape out a with, though not without casualties. It's way overtuned IMO and there are certain party comps that simply cannot defeat it thanks to the special mechanics of phase 1 and how they interact with phase 2.

Absolute MVP was Sharpshooter Highwayman who had scored a special relic from Academic's Study that gave 50% of extra turn or 50% of Stun at the end of every turn with another trinket that gave +25% Stun resist. Still, if he hadn't succeeded in multiple Death's Door tests I would have lost.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Old Boot posted:

oh yeah and 3) I guess Exemplar is just a wandering boss now please tell me that's a glitch??? :pwn:

Did you let your Loathing get to 5? Because if you let it get to 5, it is only a matter of time until Examplar shows up to punish you for it.

High loathing and/or torch gone dark --> really loving bad road fights.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
One loss, and another win against Focused Fault. gently caress that guy. Either you you manage to get *all* the eye symbols on someone who can spam themselves block+ tokens, or you don't, and in that case you simply die.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Seeing as further chapters need just one boss each, some new narration and art, I'd imagine they'll get chapters done, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only got one new hero before the 1.0.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Guess who's back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD-R-mdgumY

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Vestal's pretty interesting. Her Paths change how her skills work *a lot* (you can pick a path at the Crossroads, and then look at the skills to see what changed).

On unrelated note, gently caress the Focused Fault. If you get unlucky with initiative order and the eyestalks dodging you at the worst moment, you can end up screwed even if you were actively trying to collect the gaze tokens on your tank.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I've beaten the fucker twice, but first time was before Red Hook decided to give him 50 extra hp.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Couple of more victories under my belt, all Trinkets, Combat items, Inn items and Stagecoach equipment unlocked.

Which might actually become a problem some point in the future when you run out of things to spend you Candles on. Also, getting copies of the items you unlocked carried a couple of runs hard, since some of the later Trinkets are bananas.

Like, Sparkleball is "Add a 15% chance for Daze, Blind, Weak, and Vulnerable to all attacks" which is crazy when you slap that to a any character with multi-hit skills, with Plague Doctor's Magnesium Rain taking the cake. Curing Cuppa (chance to apply 3 Blight on every hit) + Poison Ring (if Noxious item equipped, chance to apply 2 blight on every hit and +% blight chance) is also an insane combo for Alchemist PD.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Regy Rusty posted:

It seems like it must be similar to the Vestal or Occultist's special buffs in that it modifies or enables other skills. No idea if it's possible to figure out the specifics though.

It allows the Cultists' big boys to use their strongest special skills when they got two Worship tokens, like Exemplar's Exultation. Exemplar has another move where they sacrifice other cultists with two Worship tokens to buff themselves massively.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Kobal2 posted:

They call it the Alazhred Special.

I want to like the Occultist, his curses are good, artillery is good, pulling dudes and marking them in one go is exactly what the Hellion ordered...but I'm really iffy on the skills that require 2+ of his special stacks - unlike the Vestal who reliably gets one of hers per turn, or two with some finesse even ; he requires a lot more setup. Which means it's basically useless in road fights because by the time he gets to 2 the fight is already over ; and for boss fights he needs somebody to mark twice, then to shank the boss twice for mediocre damage... I mean drat, that's a lot of setup for a somewhat meh pay-off.

Unlock the Path that has passive %chance of providing those tokens AND a dmg bonus, pick that one, never look back.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I'll state at this juncture that Occultist is super good against certain Lair and Confession bosses.

For example, Abyssal Artillery rules against the Dreaming General because it hits the General and Taproot at the same time.

Daemon's Pull can be used to pull the meats to the front in the fight against Harvest Child because HC can only use their strongest attack when they are at the front. Furthermore, the meats can be Stunned with DP+ when comboed, which is what you want instead of killing them.

As for the which Confession boss I would 100% bring Warlock Occultist: Act II Seething Sigh and maybe Act III Focused Fault the first phase, since you need to strip the Dodges away and kill any eyes that are focused on the wrong target.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Einwand posted:

Having beaten the 3rd boss on my first attempt, albeit having seen streams before, I'm mostly just left wondering. What exactly is the intended strategy for this thing other than "damage race with a heaping helping of rng". You can slightly reduce how many people are being targeted for limerence spam with movement to stack it up a bit. The 1.0 changes seem to have mostly made it impossible to survive without heavy debuff resist luck which doesn't seem to be a stat you have basically any access to in general. If my deathblow luck had been poor I probably would've lost instead if the two marked people simply decided to die on the very first check instead of tanking a couple checks in between mild healing.

I've been running various backlines with sharpshooter highwayman in rank 2 and ravager hellion in rank 1. My team that cleared chapter 3 was vestal/graverobber/hwm/hellion, while I did vestal/occultist/hwm/hellion for chapter 2 and chapter 1 seems like more or less anything will work seemingly as a tutorial chapter.

Act 3 boss is an absolute motherfucker even if you know how the mechanics work and do the trick perfectly in phase 1. It is overtuned atm imo.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Kobal2 posted:

That's kind of the thing though - I don't get how you're supposed to avoid getting marked. The eyes come into play with dodge and if you let one live they grow into their upper forms which you can't kill, only revert back so you eventually have to kill an eye 2 or 3 times to avoid it marking you (I guess, looking back, the pro strat would be to let your designated butt-fuckee(s) eye grow ASAP and clear the others ? I... didn't do that, exactly. I guess I'll try it next time because let me tell you, the boss swooping in with 3 max level eyestalks is, um, well it's a phase 2 akin to Elden Ring's Rennala "hi, hello, *death laser*, GOODBYE")

Initially, kill every eye dead except the one who marked you tank, and then use taunts and guards to get the rest of them to mark the tank, and then let them grow to their third form which triggers phase 2. You can hover the mouse cursor over the tokens to see which eye they correspond to. Focused Fault's Limerice super-attack only hits characters with eye tokens, and once there's no-one left with any tokens he does a special move that gives everyone a eye token. Limerice also applies an anti-healing debuff, so you're on really tight schedule to burst it down. Also, it does other, less damaging attacks which apply debuffs, so it comes partially down to luck if you can resist those enough to kill it quickly enough.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Regy Rusty posted:

I feel like the Foetor lair boss is the easiest one. Maybe I just got lucky going into it with a great team but I went into it blind and beat it first try without any trouble.

Meanwhile I can't figure out how to even approach the Shroud lair.

Movement Resist and Debuff Resist are your friends here. Using Taunt on someone with the highest Movement Resist is a good call when the hand comes up.

Leviathan is a bastard in that he and his hand ignore both Blind and Dodge tokens for almost all of their moves, so you cannot afford a prolonged with.

Highwayman with Point Blank Shot and Jester with Encore is a good combo, and Leper is good for tanking and he has ways around the Blinds Leviathan is tossing around.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Einwand posted:

Well I've now beaten the game, the 3rd boss is the hardest by far. I wound up with alchemist/PD, ritualist/occultist, tempest/leper, ravager/hellion as my party setup and it just kind of clowns upon literally every bit of content this game has. The plague doc spams out high damage blight on everything constantly and has useful healing/support options, the occultist spams out negative tokens and clears crits/dodge tokens effectively and can yank annoying backliners with daemon's pull once in awhile, the leper can make use of the tokens from occultist and is extremely tanky even with a 33% life penalty, and the hellion just kills things with howling end and then rotates back into the front with toe to toe to clear winded and is also basically unkillable with raucus revelry and adrenaline rush. Also the only party I've made so far that considers that tangle trophy that locks everyone in place permanently as the best possibilty.
Chapter 4 seems like a reasonably balanced one, the last boss spams a lot of tokens so you probably want a way to clear those but it's probably plausible to have a team that can just beat through/survive those tokens instead.
Chapter 5 was LONG and the ordainment buff/altar buffs make the normal parts much more dangerous while the last boss mostly seemed like a long drawn out story-esque fight, which I had to basically give up killing the intended way and just beat it to death for the last 200 hp because my ritualist occultist couldn't really harm the front rank for the spectre gimmick

I beat the game as well today.

Agreed that Act 3 boss is the hardest. Act 4 boss turned into a poo poo-show, but I managed to brute-force it by getting super-lucky with Death's Door rolls and had two characters standing by the time it bit the dust.

The final boss was cool as heck, but really long, and my experience about the special mechanics matches yours and is apparently not uncommon, and I do not think you are actually intended to necessarily win it via the special mechanic. Cool if you do, but the way it is tuned seems to suggest the devs anticipated a lot of team comps brute-forcing the final stretch.

When it comes to Lair bosses, the Librarian has consistently been the bane of my existence, with Leviathan being the second hardest. General seems to be the easiest for me, but that is because I mainly only attempt it with a team comp that has two characters capable of hitting ranks 3-4 simultaneously (PD, Occ, Flag)

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

temple posted:

Harvest child and Librarian are pretty even
General is awful and goes against my playstyle entirely
Leviathan is fun but a coin flip
Pre-1.0 shambler was easy. Sounds like nu-shambler might be harder.

It's fun how different experiences are, because Harvest Child has always been much easier than the Librarian for me.

I stand by my assertion that General is the easiest for me, but I'll admit that the team is usually in a pretty bad shape after him, but Librarian has wiped my whole team out multiple times. It might just be due bad luck, since the amount of hp the book stacks have is randomized to be either 15, 30, or 45 hp each. If you get unlucky with that, you might not have enough time to burst him down.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Wafflecopper posted:

Got this the other night and enjoying it so far but uh what the gently caress is up with the hellion chapter two skill unlock fight? I find myself with a couple of barbarian bros against four soldier jerks and see that I have a skill that stuns the front two ranks so I figure that seems pretty good and open with it. They both resist. I check their resists and oh they have 100% stun resist. What. Why give me a trap option in the first place? I summon a couple more bros since one went down then next round I go to use my damage skill it's gone from like 8-15 damage when I looked at it on the first round, down to 4-6 or some poo poo. These guys have tons of hit points and it barely scratches them. Then they kill my other bros easily and taunt me to high stress and then my only skill is to run and hide and I lose. What.

e: okay I got a skill anyway so I guess you're supposed to lose and that fight is the hellion's secret shame

Some of the memory fights end up with you losing, though not all of them, since they tell the stories of what happened in their pasts. All of them have special mechanics and a lot of them involve not killing things. I think all of them can be figured out pretty easily except Jester's last memory fight.

Panfilo posted:

Got a trinket that seems great for Flagellant, Deaths Head which heals you to full when you heal off deaths door. If you had deathless or defiant quirks you could be nigh immortal with such a setup lmao.

Related to Flag and Trinkets, his unique Trinket Emancipation is goddamn incredible. It's a damage buff if below 20% HP, but that's not the best part. It makes Punish steal one positive token each use, no conditions, no limitations. So if you hit an Evangelist with Block+ and Crit Token, the hit will remove the block and the ability will take the Crit token away and give it to you.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

Did breaking down in DD1 also tank your health? I don't think it did, and here it really is a cluster gently caress.

I guess it's because you don't maintain people after runs so picking up afflictions isn't really a problem, but chain meltdowns followed by an AOE is a disaster.

In DD1, reaching 100 Stress gave you and Affliction, reaching 200 gave you a heart-attack that either dropped you to Death's Door or insta-killed you, bypassing DBR, if you were there already.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Memnaelar posted:

I'm still a long ways off as I just beat Act II, but I am curious -- do all subsequent Acts follow essentially the same structure as Act II (3 paths after valley, not counting sluice, same areas, same rough amount of stops?)

Yes. What changes for each Act is the bonuses Ordained enemies have and what exactly the Cultist Altar provides its allies.

All of the Act bosses are radically different and require different team comps and different preparation. Act III in particularly is an absolute motherfucker, and they are attempting to tune it in the Experimental Branch with some adjustments. I brute-forced Act IV Boss but it required some insane luck and I had only two characters standing. Act V Boss is super-long.

Leatherhead posted:

I like the relationship system mostly, but it compounds my real problem with the game which is how limited/conditional the heals are. Like, I take the MAA for stress relief, but I can't use it until people are at 5 stress, oh now they're at 4 but I can't do anything about it because there was no laudanum at the last inn. Or the vestal's heal, which I usually can't even use, and if I do, I better hope nobody else needs it in the next three turns (they will, because all the bosses do AOEs except sort-of the Leviathan).

Basically I feel like I keep getting punished for problems I see coming but the game won't allow me to deal with.

In the earliest Early Access of DD2, Stress relief skills had no conditions, and it made Stress management absolutely trivial. Kill everything except the last enemy, use all of your Stress relief skills.

In DD1, stalling fights to use all of your heals and stress heals was similarly a problem that required a number of adjustments and patches.

Warden fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 13, 2023

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Evil Canadian posted:

Applying the bonus effect on an enemy and then having the Hellion do their basic attack that deals 50% extra damage if the bonus is on, is deeply satisfying every single time. Just absolutely tears through everything.

Demon's Pull+ and Wicked Hack+ on an enemy that used to be in Rank 4 is incredibly satisfying.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Well that was frustrating. Got up to the first act boss and it killed everyone but Dismas, but was down to one, the denial of arms. So we ended up in a stalemate where dismas couldn't damage it, but it also couldn't kill him because he had a quirk that made him heal at the start of every round. I played out like 40 rounds to see if he would go resolute, but after 3 meltdowns I got bored and abandoned the run. At least I know to take out that guy first next time.

Take out the one that heals the others upon death first, then either the melee or ranged attack denying one based on your party comp and skills.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

blizzardvizard posted:

(final boss spoilers)

:getin:

I still wanna play around with a Blight comp but I think I'm gonna try switching out the GR for Jester next. I didn't get as many opportunities to make use of the Scourge's Sepsis as I thought I would, and maybe Jester will help in that regard.

Hell yeah.

I beat that on Friday with Confessor Vestal/Alchemist PD/basic Flag without all the skills unlocked/Ravager Hellion.

I went "oh poo poo" at the first stage with that comp, but things turned around near the end.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Taear posted:

Can someone explain what Bleed Out is for? It feels like it hurts you SO MUCH for what it does

It is niche skill, meant for long fights against big nasties with multiple turns in the front rank, like the Exemplar. You spam it for three rounds straight to build up Bleed, then use Bloodlust to remove the Winded condition and get a damage boost against bleeding enemies.

Alternatively, if you run Carcass Hellion, you're gonna have to rely on Bleeds to do any damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I would like to point out that Hellion is not terribly well balanced character at the moment when it comes to her Skills and Paths.

Rank 1 Ravager focused on pure damage is probably the strongest build atm (although she might be a poor fit against the Librarian), though if you somehow get Bloodied Branch and Rotten Tomato unique trinkets you can have bonkers-good Bleed-focused rank 2 Berserker. Carcass can make a good tank, but you won't be dealing any damage, ever, except via Bleed.