Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

...dead whales are the best curios ever

You can interact with the dead whales?! I thought they were just background art for some rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Yah, the bandit gunners and skeleton archers have single target weak attacks that only hit front ranks if theyre up front. The cultist fighters also have a much weaker attack if theyre in the back ranks, but it also moves them up at the same time.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I hope they're support type enemies for the other dungeons to bring them more in line with the cove for difficulty

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

camping immediately seems like a waste to me. why not go an encounter or two first THEN camp and regain all the stress/hp/light you lost in the first few fights you may have lost it in?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Chair In A Basket posted:

The argument would be that the buffs you receive from camping will help prevent or at reduce the damage/stress that you would accrue otherwise. Seems to matter way more on red difficulty dungeons than easy or mediums.

but you can go one or two fights THEN camp and fully recover all the stress and hitpoints you may have lost in those fights with a feast camp AND buff yourself. I think camping right away in the first room is a waste, especially if you get ambushed.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Normal Adult Human posted:

Prevention still beats a cure

From what i understand there are now more debuffs that last until you camp.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

goddamn that Death's Door debuff is loving awful. I haven't played in a while so imagine how pissed I was when I realized traps now debuff you severely for like 20 loving turns. I tried to do just a simple level 1 venture into the Cove and all these things hosed me right off the bat. the threshold for how frustrating and annoying poo poo is in this game has really increased since its inception, it's disappointing.

Cove traps debuffed you for 20 turns before this patch. Some one earlier said medicinal herbs will cure all debuffs now though, so bring more I guess? I haven't played the new patch yet so I don't know for sure.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I thought they said end of January for release

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

packetmantis posted:

Why do people stringently refuse to buy games until they're out of EA? I don't understand the point, other than 'refusal to support devs.'

starbound

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I thought the town events were things like a character going binge drinking for weeks or going on vision quests when you cured their stress.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm a little frustrated that the game seems to be getting harder and harder, like the devs are balancing their patches around the players who have been playing non-stop since the release of the beta. Everything's getting more expensive and punishing and while I know there's no actual lose condition for the hamlet, losing high-level heroes just means now you gotta spend many many missions grinding more guys up to fill their space.

I got the game in October and thought it was too easy and I wasn't even playing optimally like camping ASAP or only using the best party comps or whatever. Basically as soon as I learned that you can use items on the curios, every run at any level was a cake walk 90% of the time and when it wasn't it involved a Shambler or some bad luck in the cove.

I play a lot of roguelikes and similar games though so RNG mitigation was something I came in knowing about.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Wizard Styles posted:

That just means even more grinding.

I mentioned this in the steam thread too but I don't really understand the complaint about "grinding" since what you do to grind in this game is the same as what you do when you're not grinding.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Well if you've done all the dungeons and bosses then you've beat the game for now. And using a suicide squad is the same gameplay as running a dungeon with a level 5 or 6 crew. Like, I really don't see much difference between what people are claiming is grinding in Darkest Dungeon and what is just playing the game. It's like calling an FTL run that results in death a grind.

Kly fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 5, 2015

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

then you start new game+

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah GR and BH are my least used classes...

I use both of those pretty frequently, my least used classes are Highwayman and Jester by far.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

they should make it so before you even get into the dungeon you get a camping screen outside the entrance then get rid of the ability to remove the "until camp" debuffs with herbs.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Gabriel Pope posted:

Are there any "until camp" debuffs other than the madman's stress debuff?

I don't know actually, I haven't played the new update yet but there used to be one that reduced damage or accuracy or something until camp and some one earlier mentioned more "until camp" debuffs.

GloomMouse posted:

I already do this

same, it always seemed like a waste to do it right away since it comes with a significant hp/stress heal so I'd do at least one fight / hallway before a camp but apparently some people have problems getting through that without a 20% damage/stress resist buff or whatever and take more damage/stress than the camp heals.

Kly fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 15, 2015

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Gabriel Pope posted:

I used to do a few fights to get that free healing...

I could see a few fights not being worth it but I've never had a problem with one fight/hall before a camp. Good point about using less food though I never thought about that, I'm usually pretty much done a dungeon before I run out but that's definitely a big hit if you do have a couple more rooms to clear.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

"...the one writer I know whose intensity of vision and purity of punctuation rivals my own, who writes fictions set in an alternate world in which Michael Bolton is a vampire and David Hasselhoff is a werewolf."

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Crusaders do like 50% more damage to skeletons which is pretty cool

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am garbage at understanding numbers in this game, and this made me worry:

See, I love the Leper, mostly from a flavor standpoint but also because I like slow characters that hit like trucks, which he sort of exemplifies in a turn-based game. If I play the game with an eye for tactics but don't bother too much with class "tiers" if such a term can be applied to the game, am I going to never make it? I haven't played in a while and this worries me.

i just love all of these classes so much you guys
not one of them is truly generic

i've done pretty much everything you can in game using all kinds of different party compositions and have never had a big problem. The most trouble I've had is trying to use anything other than Vestel or Occultist as a healer but I still managed. The only time you might need to worry about an "optimal" party is the Level 3 bosses.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think the only thing that really needs tweaking is the starvation/hunger mechanic. Once happened after 2 tough encounters in the first 3 rooms, so I ate like 5 things of food. Directly after that I get the goddamn Starvation prompt which wastes half my remaining stock. Possibly even worse was late into a particular run, I healed my ailing team with as much food as they could literally eat. Again, almost ten steps after that, I get the loving Starvation window which fucks me over because I didn't have enough food. It doesn't happen THAT often but sometimes the logic of how and when it occurs is extremely retarded.

Yes, i hate that too. Eating food should either delay the starvation event or they should remove non-starvation/camping healing from food all together and switch it over to herbs and bandages.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Gabriel Pope posted:

The madman is literally the only until camp debuff...

i don't think that's right, i haven't played the new patch with the madman but I remember getting an "until camp" debuff, unless that old "until camp" debuff was removed in the bondage patch.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

fennesz posted:

Or am I just awful at this game? I just feel like I wasted 10 bucks.

sounds like youre mostly awful but you can get a refund if it took you less than 2 hours to realize it.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Not that I know of. Hopefully they add that.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

lol if you want to take over leveled characters into low level dungeons. just cheat in some free xp or something if you want to play Extra Easy mode instead of modding in a pointless and mind numbing grind. the entire idea of wanting to run through dungeons with no challenge at all boggles my mind, why are you even playing this game at that point?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

wanting to run trivial dungeons over and over one shotting everything along the way for the tiny amount of gold you get is even worse than doing it for xp

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Maybe it only works once.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I hope theyre mostly events like the missing cargo ship and huge bounty.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

I... I can only sort of see it in the gate, and only after you pointed out. It seems like we got opposite afflictions.

The doorway hes coming out of after putting on the mask looks like it. More than the gate does to me.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV wait what

How

same way you remove them

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Superstring posted:

Bring a Hound Master (or more). Use Hound's Harry and put bleeding on every part that carries over part transformations. Drain it like a stuck pig.

Two hound masters and this works incredibly well. save the dog treats until you get to boss and he'll be dead in like 5 turns.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ZypherIM posted:

If you want to learn curio interactions on your own, more power to you. If you don't

This is the best one I've found. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386706480

Don't trust the wiki.

holy poo poo i had no idea anti venom could be used on Heirloom Chests.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Level 0 no torch runs aren't that bad if you have some good trinkets. End up firing most of them when they get back to the hamlet but they all usually make it back alive and every now and then you get a guy or two who makes it back only half insane who you can upgrade and send out again.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

...shouting at them for stressing out their companions...

"Shut the gently caress up you're freaking everyone out!"

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ZypherIM posted:

Note that the heirloom chest is ONLY the key, the antivenom only unlocks the left luggage.

Anti-Venom does work on heirloom chests. It "disables to poison" in the trap or something, just did it after checking out that guide last time you posted it.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

FreeKillB posted:

e2: getting ultra hosed by backtracking can be avoided if you're pretty careful about scouting and not leaving any stone unturned. I discovered that even though the icons for quest items are the same as for a curio, a mouseover will tell you if it's a quest location or just a standard curio.

i had no idea this was possible, really good to know.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I just did the first Darkest Dungeon mission and got the 3 Talisman of The Flame trinkets. From the description their use seems really specific, is there one mission I want to make sure I bring them on or should I bring them on all future Darkest Dungeon missions? Can I get more if I wipe and lose them?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly, its kind of stupid and just seems to gently caress over people who avoid spoilers. The game doesn't give you enough hints about how too use them properly.

Cool, thanks for the info. It is kind of dumb, when I saw them it was super obvious I would need them but I wasn't sure if they were something I should save until the end and I didn't want to risk losing them before knowing when they would be needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Red Hook needs to patch in this message so it stays on the start up screen for like 10 seconds so maybe idiots will accidentally read it and understand:

I mean there are legit grips and annoyances with the game like it eating your items when you try random poo poo on curios, the UI could be better, etc. But most of the complaints here are hilarious

"I'm using a terrible strategy, consistently making obviously bad decisions, and don't understand how probability and risk management works. What a poo poo game!"