Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

MinibarMatchman posted:

god drat the man at arms is a loving bulldozer.

I haven't played him too much but it seems like taking all these hits is causing much more stress than usual which is a pretty big downside. But yeah, I would bet on him getting nerfed pretty hard and the community going ssj emo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Around 20 pages back some people were saying they never use the tavern for stress recovery because of the bad things that happen. Well a few days ago one of my guys won this trinket while gambling.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
How many missions does it take to get to level 3? I would estimate 7 and that's a long grind. My idea to reduce the grind would be to stop putting out level 1 missions along with making new recruits start at level 3 after you defeat all of the level 1 bosses. You could do something similar after you beat all of the Veteran bosses as well.

Question: Do you guys upgrade the Occultist's Heal? Back in early access many people avoided it because it increased the chance of getting hit with the dot.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheChad posted:

I've been taking marking parties to boss fights. Typically I try to switch around between compositions pretty often so I don't get into the bad habit of having an A team.

Thanks for the tip on fully upgrading Guild/BS before trying champ runs, I need to level up some abombs anyways and I should have em maxxed out by the time they hit 4/5.

What's a good marking party look like for non boss runs? I've found that arbalests/BH's are a tad slow when it isn't worth marking a target. (I also have poo poo trinkets for them so that doesn't help)

I find that instead of an A team habit I get stuck in a region habit. I always try to drag a Crusader to the Ruins. Puppy Master and Hellion are required in the Warrens.

Here's my favorite marking party for Veteran Weald: Arby-Oculus Rift-Bounty Hunter-Hellion. The Bounty Hunter's mark debuffs prot unlike other marks so it's pretty useful for everyone.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

FreeKillB posted:

Yup, level 5 dudes will refuse veteran quests. I think the devs have pushed themselves into a corner, where it is now too easy to level guys up to 5 way before you have enough heirlooms+gold for champion to feel reasonable. However, making levelups take longer just makes the grind for "more level 6's to throw at the DD" that much worse.

However, I think the faster xp curve improves the game. I certainly had memorable experiences doing champion runs with level 3-4 equipment + skills. I just wished that so much of the game didn't give me the feeling that I needed to be doing the weald/warrens because I needed those heirlooms so much more. I like doing ruins runs, and the cove has some really distinct design, but I never once thought "man i need more crests/busts". Nope, instead I felt obligated to go either to blighty-treebranch-rear end in a top hat land or disease-pig land. It is a lot more fun now that I'm just ignoring heirlooms to do the regions more evenly.

I almost immediately ran into this wall last night. I'm nowhere near getting gear/skills upgraded to level 5 yet 1/4 of my roster has hit level 5 already. I've only defeated 3 of the Veteran bosses so I'll have to decide tonite if I'm going to edit the roster size or start dismissing level 5 dudes to make room. I'm going to edit the ini obviously.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

captain innocuous posted:

I think if a value is negative it is treated as zero. However, if you receive a buff, then it is lowered by that amount.

I'm not completely certain but I think you're right for most stats, notably dodge and prot. I have seen speed go into a negative value and there's probably others as well.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

However, I've found myself doing something else, as well.

Levelling up is fairly speedy, at least compared to grinding out relics for town upgrades, anyhow. Fixing quirks and relieving stress is expensive, but buying gear and skill upgrades is comparatively cheap. Not only that, but as I grind out relics, I end up with heroes with a resolve level that I can't equip yet.

Since I can't use them to work the lower level dungeons, and roster slots are a limited quantity, I find myself releasing capable, well-equipped, and relatively sane mercenaries into the world. Instead of only producing a string of broken husks, my darkest hamlet is generating an elite force for someone else to take advantage of. I'm not sure the ancestor would approve.

The problem is that bad things happen when you leave town. If you go north then a Necromancer will turn you into a skeleton monster. If you go east, you'll encounter a Siren who turns you into a fish monster. West means you get raped by an S&M pig monster until you turn into one yourself. South may be your best option because then you're simply engulfed by spores and eventually absorbed into a Jello monster. Every hero you dismiss ends up becoming a corrupted abomination that you then have to murder for the sake of redemption.

I was complaining yesterday about the same problem you describe with over leveled heroes that you can't equip. I decided that I would either have to dismiss heroes or edit game files to increase the roster. Based on some suggestions in this thread, I chose a third option; send under equipped heroes into a champion dungeon. If I failed then at least I would have some open spots on my roster, right? Well it was a challenge but nobody died and I completed my first Champion dungeon. Now I have a team of level 6 champions filled with overconfidence and level 3 equipment, ready to dive into the breach once more.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

Anyway, is there some jumbo day 1 patch coming or is it safe to play now in advance and my progress will just carry over to whatever the endgame is?

I'm pretty sure there's going to be a big patch and at the very least, a new character. I may have misread but I think they're in the middle of reworking the character classes. Most of the patches in early access make you restart your run but save your overall progress.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Has anyone used the flagellant yet? My first impression is that it's pretty weak and actions that increase stress or reduce health are just awful in my opinion. It's like all of his skills already have the bad relationship outcome in advance and he will just be useless in any long fight like boss battles.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

I didn't play early access and was a bit wary about the big changes from DD1, but so far this looks good. I've yet to make it past two routes in Denial but I'm slowly getting comfortable with the new systems. Most of my deaths have been trying to do the lairs and getting completely destroyed by the bosses. I also ran into the shambler on my first real run and ended up softlocked with just a front row, unable to attack plague doctor and one add who couldn't kill me. It was funny. Glad the "abandon run" option is so generous.

I have been enjoying it too and especially the past few months. The gameplay is different but it's still very tactical and it hits all the same roguelike points, just in a different way. The graphics are amazing, especially the animation. They did a very good job of turning everything into 3d models while maintaining the same art style and I think it's easy to over look because they do it so well.

As far as Lairs go, they're best avoided until you're prepared. The bosses in this game do not gently caress around! If you don't have enough skills mastered or if your team isn't optimized then you almost certainly die. Even with an ideal team, you'll sometimes get slammed with RNG in the worst way possible.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
One time I had the perfect team with great relationships and trinkets. Everything was going great for 2-3 hours until I came up to the first confessional. In the 3rd round, my plague doctor was sent to deaths door by a crit that was twice her total health and then died to the dot, effectively one shotted.

On another run, I built a team that was optimized for the Cosmic bosses. The team was hot poo poo and on a roll and after the 3rd inn I decided to take on the boss in the tangle. It was an epic battle but I finally won...only to get wrecked by some trash mobs in the next node.

The game is great and I love the token strategies where you can do stuff like stealing tokens from enemies, or stacking a bunch of negative tokens to get a bonus to healing. Some of the trinkets are wild too! You can end up generating 50% armor tokens for the whole team and then automatically convert them to 75% or the trinket that gives you +50% crit when in stealth combined with a trinket that has a 66% chance to put you in stealth at the beginning of every turn.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh is there a way to tell if a specific enemy type is one that can go to death's door? A few times I've found myself doing my DD1 thought process of "ok this enemy will die by dots on its next turn so I don't need to worry about it" only to forget that I need to be wary of death's door now.

Death resistance is a stat and you can see it by hovering your mouse over an enemy and then looking at the resistance stats at the bottom of the screen. It's the right most stat that has the red skull icon. Most enemies won't have any death resistance and die right away while others will have 5% resistance and take a dozen hits.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

temple posted:

huh, did you click his picture? i played for months and never noticed.

I was in the same boat and the only way I figured it out was after watching the trailer they made for the character reveal. Unfortunately, the bounty hunter sucks. He does good damage but he only sticks around for one mission so there's no point in giving him trinkets. I tried to find some utility, like swapping out a character with bad relationships but you're just kicking the can at that point.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

kickascii posted:

Really liking this game a lot, even though I suck at it.

I spent candles unlocking "Paths" but didn't know I needed to enable them and went on 2 more runs without any, whoops.

In both runs I died to the Tangle lair boss, the guy that stacks up a vine debuff and makes it so your only action is to suffer in it. What is the gimmick to this fight? I spent like 3 rounds having most my guys not be able to use any of their abilities.

Got to the MTN boss on my 4rth run but they sniped my highwayman and I couldn't finish it.

Think I will unlock Jester and try again when I get home.

Avoid the lairs, don't do them unless you absolutely have to! They're really tough and the rewards are pretty small. You need to have a team built specifically to take down bosses and there's still a good chance that you will lose. For the Dreaming General, it will place two tap roots under two of your characters every round so you need at least two characters that can reliably hit the back row every round to cause the growth to recede. You also need very good stress mitigation.

The easiest bosses are in the Foetor and the Spawl so I'd suggest taking one of those regions as the last one after you have mastered some skills and collected a few good trinkets. The Sprawl is probably the easiest but you need to be able to hit the back ranks hard and fast. For the Foetor, you want an attack that pulls the enemy so you can keep the boss out of the front rank. Both of these bosses take multiple turns every round so they get wrecked by DoTs.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
My suggestions for node selection.

Priorities:

Creature Lair - Hard fight but usually gets 2 mastery points and inn bonuses
Oasis - Usually drops a really good item
Resistance Encounters - Lots of good rewards
Cultist Encounters - Good rewards but harder than Resistance Encounters. Cultist trinkets are a bit gimmicky but there's some good trinkets for a Grave Robber.
Cache - The rewards aren't as good as Resistance or Cultist Encounters
Hospital - Nuking bad quirks and diseases is probably the best use of relics

Avoid:

Lair - You will die
Assistance Encounter - It doesn't have much value at the beginning of an expedition but can be circumstantial near the end.
Hoarder - Rarely sells any good trinkets and trinkets are best found elsewhere
Watchtower - Most of the time your path is locked in and it's better to pick a node that provides rewards
Academic's Study - Most of the really spicy trinkets dropped here are circumstantial or have really bad penalties.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

poe meater posted:

I killed Death with one character alive and effectively ended my run but what triggered it to spawn? Is it random?

I think encounters with Death is a side effect of having the Flagellant in your party. I'm still learning about the character but he has some very unusual traits. For example, instead of meltdown, he becomes 'Toxic' after reaching maximum stress.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's really easy to power up an occultist in one round. Have a jester mark a trash mob and then use the mastered version of sacrificial stab. You can get two tokens, one for hitting a market target, and one for killing it. Sacrificial Stab is one of the best skills to master because it turns the occultist into a beast that can either drop a monster heal or one of the most powerful attacks in the game.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
The mastered version of Highway Robbery is my favorite skill. Stealing crit tokens from cultists is my jam!

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

poe meater posted:

What kind of teams are you guys running? Is there a reason to replay the first act once you finish it?

Just had my first successful run with base Vestal, Jester, Highwayman, and Hellion. Super flexible with movement and buffs. I did not even need to heal with Vestal until the final fight.
Super carried by the relationship bonus with Highwayman and Hellion.

I have been replaying the first act every time I die to build up memories but they're pretty minor. As far as teams, I try to change them every time but for the past few nights I have been using Occultist, Jester, Highwayman, and Flagellant. I was initially unimpressed with the flagellant but he's really good! He can hit all ranks and has really good heals.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

temple posted:

Yeah I've never done the act 3 boss and never intend to. If they don't change it, then I'll wait for mods or hacks to get pass somehow.

Looks like they just updated their test server and they call out this boss in the patch notes. I guess it will be improved soon.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

johnny park posted:

Anyone else getting BSODs with the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT? I've had 3 so far

That's a common error when overclocking your CPU. Your computer may be overheating.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Magni posted:

Hellion has several moves that delete her Winded tokens. Only one she starts out with is IIRC the mastered version of Toe to Toe.

I always prioritize mastering Toe to Toe, it's really fun to alternate between big hits and taunting.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Dots are good but I've found alpha strike, front loaded damage, is better for denying enemy turns and minimizing team damage and stress.

I built a dot team and it was great against high health and enemies who take multiple turns per round but it would struggle to kill things fast, allowing enemies to take multiple turns. It's far more effective to kill one enemy per round with focus fire so that encounters end in 4 rounds. Encounters that drag on while waiting for dots to finish the job just adds more risk.

It's a similar tactic to Chimera Squad that focuses on initiative and denial of action. It's very effective if you are fast enough to go first and then kill or stun before your opponent even gets to act.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Your Computer posted:

this is still super weird to me because like, i picked this team based on their synergies... i'm not gonna just randomly replace one of them that's gonna mess up my whole plan

Yeah and you use him for only a single trip. There is just no point in using him.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Midniter posted:

Do enemies know a specific party member is wearing a +stress trinket? Sure seemed like it. Makes me think +stress trinkets aren’t worth it, even with the big bonuses they provide.

RNG

Some Flagellant builds benefit from high stress and gain a bonus from having the toxic stress effect but yeah, the game is about tradeoffs.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Along that same line, I think the Leper is the worst champion. His inability to hit the back row really limits his utility in quite a few boss battles.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm not saying that the Leper is bad, only that he's the weakest of the available champions due to his limited attack range. There are too many bosses that require you to attack the back ranks and I tend to build my teams around the bosses I want to fight.

You can make fun gimmick builds but you usually sacrifice utility and end up getting punished because of it. For example, Monarch Lepers are a burden until you fight some cultists, except they tend to load the front ranks with evade and block tokens. In addition, if he requires a combo token to be effective, you're essentially limiting the utility of two characters because they have to use their turn to put out a combo token every time before the Lepers turn. For example, if your Jester is dedicated to putting combo tokens in the front ranks, the Leper effectively loses a turn if you need the jester to do anything else, like a stress heal.

Lepers combo well with the Jester but so does everyone so I'm not sure that's a good example. I tend to prefer using the Jester with someone who can hit the back ranks, like the highwayman.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like the new patch with Highwayman and Grave Robber rebalance. At first it looked like a major nerf to Sharpshot Highwayman but the new Double Tap mechanic is pretty interesting. Moving grapeshot to the back row kinda sucks though.

The Grave Robber's skills are more interesting now but taking a turn to move into stealth usually doesn't fit into my play style as I prefer to kill things fast. I basically play this class with the cultist pet hoping that I find that 50% stealth trinket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Legit Businessman posted:

By the by, what is the best team to tackle a grand slam? PD/Jester/Hwm/MAA?

My favorite team is Plague Doctor, Jester, Highwayman, and Flagellant. PD and Jester are the all stars of the team and I think you can beat any boss if you have three characters that can hit the back row.