Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just got this game after watching Dodger stream it multiple times. It's really good, but really hard. I didn't know what I was doing the first go around and kind of screwed myself to the point where I had no money to de-stress my peeps, so I couldn't really do anything.

I started a second file and everything is going WAY smoother now that I have a better idea of how everything works. You have to be careful, and man I underestimated buffing (I NEVER buff in turn based games). Some of my dudes crit like hell.

I wanna give two big props to the narration and the animation. The narrator is awesome, and he really makes the fights feel rewarding when you kill someone. "A devastating blow!" "Press the advantage, give them no quarter!". It's very satisfying in a Bastion sort of way. And the animation, I was initially kind of "eh" about the art style because it had a very... flash stiff style with the movements. But it ends up working really well, kind of in the way Hearthstone works even though there's no actual creatures on the board fighting. The way the camera zooms in, and the dynamic pose they use, and the sound effects, all form really satisfying attacks and killing blows. They make a good choice of not having the characters do all that much in-between moving. The walking animations are probably the most they move, otherwise it's just really good use of zooming in the camera and having a great dynamic pose.

The music is getting a little repetitive though :shobon: I might turn that off soon and just have other poo poo playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It's cool that some stress going max can infact have the opposite result, and make characters become rightous and stronger than before. My plague doctor did that just now, when I was super worried since one of my dudes was on death's door. It's just cool in general how many different ways things can happen in this game. I feel like there's always a new status effect or buff to see.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I had no idea about the Kickstarter way back in the day, so I never knew it existed until the game was up on early access on Steam. It's interesting looking at the kickstarter page and trailers now and seeing all the little art changes they made. The town especially, where before it looked like the town options were lined up horizontally and you scrolled through them and now they're all nice and compact on one map. Or when a character gets 100 stressed in a dungeon, instead of the cool dynamic pose they get ingame now, before it was just a close up of the character with the stress icon over him. It's interesting seeing the like. alpha art before they finalized on a lot of the stuff.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I love all my precious babies, and the game just wants to take them away from me. :ohdear:

Fools. And corpses.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

RubberBands Hurt posted:

"Town events" were one of the kickstarter stretch goals, and I'm hoping there's going to be some substance there beyond the stuff that happens in the recovery areas. Invasions/etc seem likely, both from how much it's been requested and because they're likely going to want to leverage the time passing mechanic.

Also, there was a Dev stream a week or so ago (Redhook_Chris I believe, one of the artists; with one of the devs gleefully trolling him during his failure spiral) where they said the tree in town will be where the glossary of events/creatures will be located. It's also fairly likely that some/all of that will be narrated (going by some positive responses on Twitter to such inquiries)

Oh man I hope so. The narration might be my favorite part about the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just had a fight where those jello skeletons spawned a DOUBLE FUSION jello skeleton and then two single jello skeletons came back as I was killing the big one. I didn't even know that was possible! :aaa:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I want to play the Cove so badly just to see all the monsters that will be in it.

I hope it's like, pirate ghosts and fish ghosts and giant crabs

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There should be some way to lose the game. It can be gradual as hell and incremental and slow.

I would hate this to be honest. Losing these dudes I'm invested in is a good enough punishment. Losing the entire game and having to start over from scratch because I made a dumb move or wasn't fast enough would be awful.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Unrelated question, the preferred position section on the characters, some characters have green circles around the position spots, and some don't. What do the green circles mean?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

gigawhite posted:

I don't understand why people are so crabby about some of us wanting an optional fail state mode. I like this kind of game to have an imperative and the chance to start over from absolute zero. :shrug: I put about ten hours into it and stopped because, until it's completed, there's no reason for me to play the same content over and over with no possibility of game over.

Uh I don't think anyone in this thread would have an issue with that if it was optional.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My understanding is that it's not the entire Darkest Dungeon that "breaks" the heroes, the plan is for it to be final game boss only. Idea being you have to beat the big bad boss multiple times with different teams, you can't just A-Team it repeatedly.

That sounds WAY better than the whole final dungeon itself basically eating your teams, and I think that'd be a good way to handle the final boss.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

^^^ That's so weird. The jesters and plague doctors have always treated me pretty well.

Although I rarely ever GET jesters in the caravan. Which is a shame cause I think they're cool. They have a good design and I like their sickle.

EvilCornbread posted:

Restarted again -- in the very first week's expedition, just ran into a pack of four spiders. One of my characters got webbed by one spider, crit for 24 (death's door) by the second, then it was his turn, the poison ticked, he failed his check and died. Literally three sequential combat moves and he went from full health to permadead. What the gently caress.

Are you making sure you're not doing dungeons meant for characters at level 3-5? I've never had a spider give me trouble, let alone crit me for that much

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 1, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Chard posted:

I honestly don't like playing for more than two or three dungeons in a sitting. I don't really feel like I'm burned out but I get sloppy or overconfident and make stupid mistakes.

Yep this is how I play too. The game is great for playing in short bursts. Especially since after a dungeon, you can throw your dudes in stress relievers or whatever, and then leave and then later come back and you're ready to go with a new group on another dungeon run. For how hardcore the game likes to present itself, it's actually pretty casual friendly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

how me a frog posted:

Just checking in, are we as a group ready to admit yet that despite the great art and excellent mood and setting, this game is an unfun poorly designed piece of poo poo or are we still telling ourselves this was a good purchase?

You could, as an individual, just say you don't like it V:shobon:V

I feel like it totally justifies it's $20 price tag, even with it being early access

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I forgot how fun this game is, even when it's absolutely kicking my rear end. I haven't played in a long time, like since before they added Houndmasers, Man-At-Arms, corpses, a bunch of stuff. Now that it's finally out of early access I figured I'd play it again. I've been playing it all day. The sound effects, and the art and the attack animations are so satisfying.

Also I appreciate it letting me turn off all this poo poo:

edit: Like drat, corpses are just tedious and that second one, holy cow why would anyone want that

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Operant posted:

I get this but corpses are actually a cool and good mechanic that encourages you to do other things than just meatgrind the front row

Corpses encouraged me to turn corpses off actually

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Without them, you are basically just playing easy mode.

Well yeah

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just thought it was cool the devs made several things like that optional, I didn't realize corpses were such a touchy subject

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

WHAT IS THIS THING

WHAT HAVE I DONE

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Four Abominations makes for an interesting time

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So uh... that Collector guy showed up in the middle of this run and was... quite a thing. Haven't run into that thing yet

And now I've got a bloody head in a bag. Thanks...??

edit: Can I just say, the Weald sucks. I don't remember the Weald being so horrible a long time ago when I first played this game, but the ruins, the warrens and the cove are like walks in the park in comparison

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 24, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This game is so silly. I needed to pass a day, so I threw my 3 already insane abominations and one new highway man into an explore 90% rooms dungeon for a suicide mission. Bought food but nothing else, so I didn't bother with torches.

The dungeon proceeds to have ZERO encounters, either in hallways or in rooms until the very last two rooms. In which case I did the battle, lost one of my abominations to a heart attack, beat the room and then completed the quest. Ended up with about 8,000 gold. I never even used the food I bought edit: actually I think there might have been an encounter with some spiders that got me some extra gold but that's it

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 24, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Houndmaster is OP. Houndmaster 4 life

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i retreated from it, after using the torch on shrine deal? or are you talking about something else.

only thing ive seen you can't retreat from are camp ambushes, which im going to be salty about until the death of our star at the very least

Are camp ambushes affected by where the room is in the dungeon or is it just random? I've never had an ambush in a room where there's just one door, but always in a room with multiple doors, but that could just be coincidence

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nature herself... a victim of the spreading corruption...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Doctor Schnabel posted:

could take an eye out with those nipples... :pirate:

A singular strike!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So one of my guys just got Weald Phobe and Weald Explorer. Do those two things end up canceling each other out?

edit: It must, when I went to check that character's stats afterwards, the phobe one was gone

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

What's the trick to using Abominations or are they considered a trash/challenge class?
I used him once and all the transformation hassle seemed not worth the constant stress on him and the party.

I did some runs where it was 4 abominations. The fourth one couldn't do anything so he just stayed in the back stress healing himself. He was basically a back up. It took a long time before he got crazy, it took like two missions. The transformations stress out everyone, but when they transform back they like, lower their stress AND heal themselves, just automatically?? They proceeded to just destroy two missions completely before I had to put them to rest cause they were all too stressed out (thought it helped that one of the abominations become righteous or whatever it is when you get the good stress effect). The fourth one remained fine the whole time

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Another question: Did they lower the cost on supplies since early access? I remember having to really think about what I want to bring but now it seems like I can easily just buy all the food and all the torches and all the bandages and not even come close to breaking the bank. Even in longer dungeons

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

What they should do is have your adventurers warn you that you shouldn't hit the little piggy. Maybe they could say something like "Do not hit the little one!" or "It is protecting the little one!" every time you :downs: out and hit Wilbur. That would certainly help

Am I crazy or don't characters literally do this? I seem to recall one of my guys saying that during the fight with him

Or is that the joke

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

victrix posted:

I feel like this game is drawing in a lot of people who don't play or aren't used to games with permanent consequences, and it's driving OCD 100% perfectionist rpg save-every-potion-until-the-last-fight types absolutely bonkers when something goes wrong.

The game is interesting in that in order to succeed you have to kind of treat all the adventurers like resources. But the game does a really good job of giving them character, even more so if you name them something personal like a movie character you like or after a family member. So you end up not wanting to let your resources die.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I had no idea you could lock positive quirks :stare: . That would've been good to know earlier.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

God the Weald is just the worst. I wish I had the option to just set the Weald on fire

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jackard posted:

Ran into the Collector on my 3rd week. What an rear end in a top hat.

The first time I encountered him I got my poo poo kicked in. Did manage to beat him, but just barely and I don't think my entire team survived it.

Second time I ran into it recently I just destroyed that fucker. He's not immune to stuns so at least the first like two rounds you can whittle him down before he can summon his adds.

Are the heads trinkets worth it? I have all 3 sitting in my inventory but the + stress damage seems a huge risk for the other stats on it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

When do we get the Caretaker class

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Rabies is actually a really solid disease and it's worth keeping if you can handle the accuracy loss.

Rabies owns. Everyone get rabies

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Is there a mod that makes everything brightly colored and possibly turns the backgrounds of dungeons into candy

edit: this is not a joke question

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh my god

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kanos posted:

It also disproportionately forces you into Weald missions because they're the only zone with 100% guaranteed deeds from mission rewards. I feel like they should have decoupled specific currencies from specific dungeons and just had it be a scattershot; I'd like to run cove more but I don't need crests so I only step in there if all the other missions are total crap or I desperately need some quirks erased.

"The Weald is terrible and we should probably delete it from the game cause it's the worst. But instead we'll force players to run it for deeds :devil:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Onmi posted:

That's basically how it goes It's not helped by the ending showing the Hamlet decaying, and implying that you've become the newest Ancestor. It's a completely fitting ending for a Cthulhu Mythos game but it does reek of... well pointlessness for the player. It's not a coincidence that the game forces you back to the position you were at the very very start of the game, Two guys.

On one hand I can see that ending being pretty unsatisfying, but on the other hand, the act of simply running dungeons in this game is so fun because of the attack animations and the narrator, that it almost doesn't matter. I have a slew of level 3 guys I haven't sent out on missions yet because I'm a big ol' chicken baby about venturing into veteran dungeons, and my blacksmith and guild aren't even close to being upgraded barely at all (this goes for armor and weapons on the dudes) and it doesn't really hinder my enjoyment of the game. This is one of those games I can see myself never actually getting to the end of, cause some of the bosses and the final dungeon in general seem like hell, but just simply going on a dungeon run is fun on its own.

There's few things in gaming more satisfying than that literal one frame animation of a character swinging and seeing the CRIT or the death skull happen. Major props to the devs for making very little animation work so well