Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the game is really fun when you send broken people out on hopeless missions instead of firing them, and they somehow come back having completed the mission.

death is a much cheaper cure for insanity than the sanitarium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Saxophone posted:

I'm debating on getting this game. It looks wicked fun, but I'm also a giant sissy baby that would get really mad that I perma-lost someone. (Even though I play roguelikes)

Is there an acutal "Game over" situation or do you just kind of slowly upgrade your base and party (assuming they don't die) in spite of losing adventurers?

its more like you manage an adventuring business and human life is really cheap

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

Knowing that to play optimally I need to stun an enemy indefinitely so my party doesn't get murdered next fight is pretty poo poo though. There needs to be a better way to heal outside of combat at the very least. Because as fun as this game is, this part of it is really lovely.

you dont need to do this the game is in no way balanced around stun locking people and abusing healers.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
they need to improve the plague doctor because he doesnt really play well unless hes against enemies weak against blight and even then he feels really borderline unless you are doing lovely stunlock parties

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the plague doctor is very strong in very specific situations that almost never happen

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
hes best abilites are a backline stun and the dmg buff, both abilites that she needs to use on her first turn to get anything from. so what ends up happening is you go into a long extended fight because you only have 3 damage dealers so that makes the fight last longer but at the same time this support character is also at her weakest when there is no backline to hit.

tldr PD has anti synergy in her kit

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the grave robber lunge ability has the highest crit chance in the game and a 40% damage mod

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the cure ability on PD does scale really well against super strong bleed and blight enemies though. So making stronger blight enemies would make her a lot stronger

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Sickening posted:

Who else is cheating the game by making a copy of the save folder before you do something hard?

:getout:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
just go on the mission and take the 10k floor gold then make a judgement call on going back or not???

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
afflictions are not that bad depending on which ones you get. some of them even gives you buffs to some stats. like abusive gives 15% bonus damage or something like it. people going through the data have found a lot of interesting stuff

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
only the PD is a bit weak. hellion and vestral need changes though because they feel abusive. Jester has a great concept mechanics wise with the "start in back, jump into the front" thing, but i feel his backline support abilites promote some very annoying playstyles. Leper is mostly great but he feels super limited considering he has no mobility skills and has to have one of the first 2 positions. All the others are amazing though.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
early game has a really random difficulty???

I have the most fun in the game when it feels like i have no chance of completing a mission so the whole thing with being able to get an advantage from abandoning a mission kinda ruins the game for me. I want to send people to their dooms and have them sometimes complete the mission despite the fact that it was almost impossible.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Red Mundus posted:

I like how the jester is setup. He's really powerful in a group but you can't really bring a healer as having a healer and a jester tanks your damage output too much. It's a neat little thing and like how it's setup.

you can play jester vestral occultist PD just fine. If you put 4 random guys in positions where they have abilites they can use then you have a pretty good team.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
all the interactables are stacked in your favor risk wise. if you click on everything you will end up ahead in the long term even if you dont use any items on them. someone posted all the percentages on reddit taken from the code.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
grave robber and jester have the highest trap disarm chance and also have great resists if they ever trigger a trap

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

Ok the sanitarium is definitely still bugged because I've put this leper away to lose an affliction three times now and nothing happens. I think it might be related to quitting out of the program after putting them in the sanitarium.

well you cant lose afflictions in the sanitarium

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the game has been out for nearly a week despite the number of posts in this thread

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ive started a new town where i am not gonna buy a single torch. It is so much harder than playing with torches, ive only killed the first necro and pig bosses. Probably had around 15 people die and i have to spend a lot of money on grooming people into murdergods to even get anywhere.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

CapitanGarlic posted:

In story-corner, my Dismas steadily racked up negative quirks banning him from one stress establishment after another, capped off with the one that only lets him flagellate. You were headed that direction anyhow little dude, I guess you wanted there to be no uncertainty. :whip:

My dismas and reynald are still alive, the pd died 3 or 4 weeks in. the vestral lived for a long time making it all the way to level 3 before she died, she had nightowl and tough but still died RIP

dismas has the same negative quirks as your guy. no bar no gambling only flagellates, so future quirks are probably generated in advance when you hire someone

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Anatharon posted:

There's no real penalty for losing an entire team of dudes, so no real need to use it.

you lose your whole inventory and any gold invested in your guys?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
it is a class that is designed by the lord tier backer, not a class that you need to be lord tier to use in game.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
am i the only one who puts the bounty hunter in the back?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the whole theme of the game is building tension over time

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
they should remove the ability to abandon quests, it kinda messes up all the possible tension from getting rnged when you can just go "ok il just abandon this and lose some gold maybe even go even on gold depending on what i have in my inventory". if you dont have that out availible at all times then the missions might have more tension

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Azran posted:

How's the game right now? Worth a buy? I'm incredibly torn between this and PoE, but this seems like it will have more replayability? I loved FTL.

its probably like ftl but less of a timeless classic (there is a lot of stuff that is very enjoyable when its fresh but starts to sour when you put a lot of hours into it). also its not actually finished yet but you really do get a feel for where it has to end up at some point

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

This game plays nothing like FTL so I don't see the point in comparing the two still.
the modern roguelike is a really hot genre right now so there is no point in comparing two games that are very similar in that genre? they have all the classic genre staples and throw out the ascii base while adding a revolving door party system? you run around a randomly generated waypoint based map?

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 8, 2015

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
its supposed to come out 1800 gmt

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
oh poo poo

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i just tuned into this guy http://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage. first thing that happens is he forgets to bring torches and wipes because he got trapped fighting the shambler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
GR flashing daggers Jester Harvest with bleed chance trinket BH flashbang the rank 4 enemy MAA rampart with the shield trinket that gives 40% stun and movement.

this combo makes the jester pretty good at lower levels imho. vs skeletons you can dirk stab over and over until you hit the front rank then finale to the back which is decent atleast (maa and bh dont really care too much about being shoved around). ive had amazing success vs brigands with this lineup.

Turn 2 flashing dagger and harvest again, riposte the rank 3 enemy and he should die from the bleed tick, the rank 4 enemy hits the Maa and dies because of the bleed, the big guy uses the whip and then gets hit by riposte. so when turn 2 is done its just the big guy left and hes been hit by flashing daggers + harvest twice and the riposte.

tldr jester has synergy with shuffle stuns

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 26, 2016