Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What size is the apprentice necromancer? 1 or 2? Camping on my way to meet him and trying to decide which camp skills to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh good, you saved me from making some bad choices just now. Another boss question: is there a locked chest or anything in their room? I'm a few rooms away from the necro and I've got an heirloom chest here that I'm itching to use my last key on. Should I, or will that cost me some, uh, phat lewt when I reach the end?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For the "explore 90% of rooms" quest goal, is the starting room included in the calculation?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
are you running a team of ninja turtles there, mister?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo's fixed, they claim

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I AM BRAWW posted:

Jesus, the whole "lvl 3+ dudes won't do quests with lower level dudes" is totally fuckin stupid
you can change that in the files if you want. it'll make the game a lot easier if you do it all the time, but you're a grownup so who cares

step 1: go to \Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\campaign\quest and open quest.json in a text editor
step 2: search for "resolve_level_threshold_table" without the quotes.
step 3: change this:
code:
"resolve_level_threshold_table":
            [
            ]
to this:

code:
"resolve_level_threshold_table":
            [
            ]

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 5, 2015

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FourLeaf posted:

Someone should just go through the game files and figure it out.
I'm way too lazy to port this over to the wiki today (hopefully some other sperg will beat me to it before the weekend), but all y'all can open up curio_type_library.csv with a text editor and check out what the interactions are. The file lives in \Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\curios

Incidentally, if anyone wants to screw around with the unused provisions sellback values, those are in inventory.darkest in the \Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\inventory directory. Text editor opens that up as well.

Edit: actually, looks like this dude has the cove curios up in his guide already

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 30, 2015

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
this is a v good post but you use bounty hunter and highwayman interchangeably and it will give new players insanity-induced heart attacks irl

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah, kickstarter exclusives more or less always wind up being released later as mini-dlc, so i dont really mind

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Panfilo posted:

maybe he's living in some Kafkaesque existence
he's being ground up in the gears some absurd bureaucracy??? :ohdear:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Normal Adult Human posted:

hey assholes good job releasing your stupid game the same day as xcom 2 so theres absolutely no fun turn based games for the months of december and january.

huh? i thought it was coming out on jan 19th

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah that dudes busy writing bizarre cling wrap erotica now...

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Operant posted:

People really are incredibly salty on steam about this game, is it really that bad? I haven't played since early last year, waiting to a totally fresh run when the full game is released in a few weeks. I never found the game that punishing and pretty easy to steamroll when you got to a certain point when I played it almost a year ago. I am also someone who played classic ironman for his first ever xcom run.
No it's actually great. I'm incredibly sour when it comes to early access, and this is one of maybe half a dozen ea titles that I feel is really worth the money.

Regarding the negative review downvote brigate (and holy moly are they out in force), I think there are a lot of people out there who are trying to play it like XCOM, where they expect to make it through a campaign without losing more than a handful of dudes or aborting more than one or two missions. That kind of thinking will make you nuts in this game.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Deleter posted:

The negative reviews are from people who are mad they can't take 4 Crusaders with Holy Lance and an inventory full of food and camp first room anymore. Oh no! Now they have to manage resources and pay attention to enemy stats! What a loving crime.
The real kicker with this kind of thing is that the game is piss easy to mod. All the files that govern skills and experience and everything are right there in a format that you can open with notepad and tweak to your heart's desire. Want your level 6 guys to go into level 1 dungeons? Okay. Want bottomless inventory or stack sizes of 666? Knock yourself out, bro. Think Dismas should be named Cock and the other guy should be named Balls? Want them both to be Jesters? Want all their Jester skills to give 100 points of bleed? Sure, I guess...

The only things standing between anyone and their ideal difficulty is laziness, obstinacy, or some weird fixation on achievements.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gabriel Pope posted:

A week ago you would have had some trouble making Lepers work at the highest level, but the latest hotfix gave him a massive accuracy buff, so now he's merely bad instead of unusable.

He hits hard, but not that much harder than the Crusader (and arguably not as hard as the Hellion, except against bleedproof enemies) and he pays for it with lower accuracy. His accuracy problems aren't as crippling anymore, so he's at least a functional beatstick, but he lacks the utility and flexibility that every other class gets on top of whatever offensive contributions they can make.
I'm super duper tempted to stick protection debuffs on the Leper's attacks. He's all about brute-forcing stuff right in front of him, so why not make him the party's can opener, right?

ZypherIM posted:

The issue with Leper is that the strategy of "apply damage to rank 1 or 2" doesn't work out most places. You in general want to spend the first couple rounds killing or disabling enemies that tend to spawn in ranks 3 or 4, then clean up the guys in front that tend to have much higher HP and prot%. They also tend to have higher move resist, so in general his knockback ability has at best a 50% success rate. If they gave that a bump (25%?), and maybe gave his normal attacks a -prot% debuff he'd be in a decent place. He hits hard and can basically take care of himself which is great, just he often isn't able to apply his damage where you really want it.
:hfive:

Still not sure what I'd do with the crusader, though.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 28, 2015

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ciaphas posted:

I want to play this game longer but I can't really get past the idea that most of your dudes are mooks not worth saving or keeping, for some drat fool reason :smith:

(ed: guess I had/have the same problem with XCom, now that I think about it. Haven't beaten that either. Just kinda sucks to lose a dude you've spent any amount of time developing, I guess)
you got two roads in front of you: mod the game to stack the odds in your favor, or stick needles in your eyes until you cant feel the pain no more. both paths are valid. i'd recommend throwing disposable dipshits into the oven till you don't mind the smell, personally. the moment you get used to the bodies coincides neatly with the onset of the kind of grimdark mentality that this game's aesthetics really play up.

i mean, the game recognizes your reluctance to get the job done; it's why your buddy the caretaker keeps giggling at you. but in the fullness of time, you'll come to understand what needs to happen to your friends, right?

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 28, 2015

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
thats not very polite :(

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

They could still have the mansion leading up to that portal be full of mind-numbling abominations that have spilled out from it.

Its really just a question of decor when it comes to DD's game style, what will the backgrounds look like? :cheeky:
DarkestDungeon\dungeons\darkestdungeon has a few background tiles, but the selection is small and old (that dir's been around since the game showed up on EA). So far there are a couple of surprisingly intact hallways, and about as many outdoor tiles, showing woodsy paths and overgrown graves. No images of the inhabitants anywhere.

Unless they reworked the whole thing, it's possible there's some multi-stage component to the DD, as there's no way I can see for the woods and hallways to blend seamlessly

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I wish they'd just do some reverse level scaling for the dungeons, so your level six elite operator with max skills and primo gear gets everything knocked down to level 2 for green dungeons and level 4 for orange. oh, and his xp gain gets frozen too.

it's not usually a huge issue, but sometimes there's a boss i need to kill or a trinket i wanna grab, and the only people i have in the appropriate level range are jack and poo poo

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Dog needs a steal bone attack that's only usable on skeletons

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's not that crazy. Sometimes there's a boss you missed or a trinket you want, but you don't have enough people in the tier, or the ones you do have make a garbage combo. It'd be nice if the game had a mechanism to deal with that

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Demiurge4 posted:

Trip report: Encountered the cannon boss for the first time. Don't leave the guy with the igniter stick alive.

stick ur finger in the barrel. makes the shot fail

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
it rhymes so you know its true

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
probably for the same reason that shady credit swaps make you rich but ponzi schemes land you in jail.

if you work within the system, they can't touch you!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
leper can have a little wormy that lives in his eye socket :3

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

paradoxGentleman posted:

Ouch. That one kind of hurt. Can anyone tell why the father had an angry mob at his doorstep? I don't see any hellish idol or anything similar in his house...

well seeing as how it's the story of the arbalest, rather than the arbalist, the mob is clearly after the eponymous weapon

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
im sorry, but does anyone play this game without arguing with the monitor? or blowing it kisses when something nice happens?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
so, uh, midnight tonight or tomorrow afternoon?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if i rename solo to dirge and give it a mark effect, would that be too ridiculous? im trying to salvage this dead gay class

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently it's coming out at 10PM PST tomorrow, according to this steam thread.

In related news, it's also coming out at 10AM PST tomorrow, according to this tweet.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 19, 2016

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
some big changes here:
  • Stunning Guard Casters will Remove Guard on Target
  • Other Classes have been inspired by the Houndmaster’s preparedness and have begun to fashion themselves with their own provision to bring into dungeons.
  • Camping skills have received a rather drastic overhaul, both in effects and durations...Please note that all buffs now have a duration of 4 combat encounters (hallway battles and room battles).

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Taratang posted:

It's up now, release build is only a 362.5MB patch.

yeaahhhh we did it guys!! its a success!!! haha

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Holy Lance
  • Lowered crit chance by 5%
  • Removed ability to use in rank 2
lol

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
just fyi, modding the game doesn't seem to disable achievements, so if anyone cares about that but still wants to do something about, say, the jester or leper, then feel free

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

willing to settle posted:

What sorts of changes do people think would be warranted to bring them up to par?
Dunno about the rest the folks here, but I think I'll be adding a prot debuff to the Leper's attacks, since he's supposed to be good at exactly one thing: brute force grinding the dudes in front, and those usually have some kind of prot bonus.

I think the Jester will get a mark effect added to solo, and I might replace his -stress camping skills with +crit

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
looks like you can retreat from the darkest dungeon, but one person's gotta die holding the line while everyone else cheeses it

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i wanna change two of the jester's camp buffs into a single target crit buff, and a weaker, party-wide crit buff. keeping in mind that i already gave him a mark effect on solo, what do you guys think would be decent values for those two skills?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ZypherIM posted:

Klepto is absolutely terrible and you should always cure it.
listen to my boy zypher over here!!

very first mission i come across a sack full of heirlooms after pulling up bupkes for the whole dungeon and that KAFIR reynauld swipes them all UUURGH I HATE YOU RAY >_<

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
bee tee dubs, after that little incident i sent ray to go gently caress himself in the darkest dungeon, and i came across some interesting things: the cultists have a new attack called rend for the NEW god, and the narrator says all kinds of things about a bloody and beating heart, which i guess means that somebody (not naming names, granddad) found the heart of lorkhan down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i'm gonna make it a company policy to send all my losers, fuckups, and disappointments down there to feed whatever lives in the dungeon. gotta keep the rest of the crew sharp, and cushy retirements ain't the way to do that