Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think it does effect chance of getting a positive or negative trait from the little mask at dungeon end, yeah.

If you don't want to risk it, can you exit without clicking the mask, and get neither?

I'm pretty sure I tried not clicking the mask on my already severely mentally ill Crusader on my first run and wound up with another quirk anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I bought this a long time ago and quit for a few months. Just picked it back up. It's amazing how good of a decision it was to let players lock in positive quirks, I feel like I have some control over character development now and get way more invested in my little army of doomed assholes.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Well I met the Shambler for the first time, totally unprepared and having no idea why the statue wanted a torch.

I haven't actually ragequit a game in years, thanks Darkest Dungeon

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Big monster that does stress/HP aoes every round. The AOEs summon smaller monsters that do stress damage on a single target. He also moves ranks a lot but that was far from the most annoying thing about it.

It's not that bad if you're healed up and low stress, but I don't advise shoving the torch into the statue if your vestal has 5 hp :v:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

sullat posted:

That just makes it sting a bit more when you lose them.

yuuuuup. I just lost my beautiful, beautiful Reynauld with locked Hard-Skinned, Tough, and whatever the melee crit one is to a bad string of crits and I feel like someone kicked me in the gut

edit: to make myself feel better, I'm throwing 4 gearless level 0s into a medium weald with no torches. it's what Reynauld would have wanted

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 26, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Anatharon posted:

Okay so I'm late to the party here I'm sure but corpses are one of the dumbest mechanics in a game, ever.

From a gameplay perspective they just add pointless busy work. From a story one, they're even worse. So the fanatic cultist/crazed pig monster/soulless undead/whatever sees my Crusader smash their frontliner's head in and immediately responds with "Oh geeze, better not."?

The effect of corpses has been that you have to pack a diverse loadout of skills to target all positions instead, which is cool and good.

The combat in this game isn't the deepest but corpses added a ton of depth. In the bad old days before corpses, combat was pretty much "smash the front enemy until it's dead, and also spam AOE sometimes." When you got those backline enemies to the front via grinding down their buddies, they were useless and you could laugh at them. It was singularly boring. Also, corpses don't add pointless busywork; generally you're not actually supposed to be bashing on them.

You're in luck though, the whiny pisspots who play this game had a tantrum until Red Hook caved and now you can turn them off.

Bloodly posted:

There's inequality though. YOU don't leave corpses behind when you drop. THEY can' 'keep whacking you till your front line dies'. And you can't say 'they can't heal' because they're getting that, too.

agree with this, it is absolute bullshit that heroes don't leave corpses.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 31, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

The rewards are greater and fights are more fun, but you wind up paying a lot of the increased rewards out in stress relief. Then you get jumped by a Shambler and the tears start to flow.

You should try it though, it's fun. Especially with an unequipped crew where you don't care if they live or die and don't mind firing them if they go crazy

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Counterpoint: do the cove, because corals and dead whales are the best curios ever

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

sicDaniel posted:

Since when can you meet the Shambler in a hallway? This never happened to me before today, now it happened twice in one session. It's cool though, my level 4 party wiped out before they entered the second room of the dungeon, totally cool. I need a break.

I believe it only happens in total darkness, so I don't do dark runs unless I have a team I know can beat him.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

They are. They aren't curios. God knows what that guy was talking about.

I figured I didn't need to look up the exact curio name because what else could I be talking about, but I should have known better

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Panfilo posted:

You know, this is the type of game that would also be a lot of fun on a mobile device like a tablet.

Yeah but then I'd probably get fired for never doing any work again so it's for the best

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

TheRagamuffin posted:

Even non-boss Weald is awful. Blight for days, more common blockages, some VERY annoying and common enemy layouts....

I will take getting my rear end in a top hat pounded in by fishmen any day over going to the Weald

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Carbolic posted:

I was stupid to try the fight without having unlocked level 5 weapons or armour. Got too cocky. Now I've lost my A-team and all my best trinkets. Shoulda run when it became clear I wasn't damaging it fast enough.

Resisting the urge to run level 5 boss dungeons with undergeared characters because of the promise of sweet trinkets is the true endboss of this game

RIP dismas I'm sorry I sent you in there with level 3 armor on buddy

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I never thought of running quad dogs but I kind of want to now

I wish dog biscuits stacked though

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I used to do this, but honestly, there are more than a few situations in which you could realistically get ambushed and have things go horribly wrong by not having the extra offense such that you could theoretically lose a character or incur significant enough losses that you could not recover even by camping. Plus, if you have to spend camping time recovering health or Stress, you're more than likely losing out on combat or Scouting buffs that would save you more health/Stress down the line.

Ultimately, it comes down to preference, but I've often found that it's better to camp immediately as a preventative measure than to hold off and save it as a reactive measure.

Are you Timepants on youtube? I enjoy your Darkest Dungeon videos, if so.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

patch notes

specifically:

lmao jesus christ
In theory that sounds like a good thing, less of Thralls going before Grave Robbers on turn 2 plz. I thought initiative was a d20 though because the Matchman has a -19

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

-20 will absolutely guarantee the matchman goes last even if he rolls 10 and the least-speedy-possible character rolls 1

Makes sense

GloomMouse posted:

"Do not count dead heroes trinkets towards ancestors trinkets"

What does this mean? I've only ever got one ancestors trinket (+25% Virtue) before, is there a limit to how many you can get/hold?

You can only get one of each ancestor's trinket, so if it counts the ones on corpses you'll never get that trinket again

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Jinx posted:

So just played a new game for a bit - if you previously found the start of the game annoying and tedious, it's even better (worse) now. Many monsters got buffs to their attacks (bandit fusiliers debuff dodge on their group attack, and the cultist bleed guys inflict a stress resist debuff on their bleed attack) and it feels like everything does significantly more stress damage (crit for ~40 stress in a starter dungeon).

Also:

I'm assuming that you can no longer retreat from the shambler fight?

P.S. Leper is still pretty crap, sorry.
P.P.S. Death's door debuffs are insane (-10 acc, -25% dmg, -ve stress resist and more), so basically as soon as a hero hit's DD, he becomes a serious liability.
haha jesus Red Hook

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Reddit is reporting that the stall penalty now applies even if you are legitimately trying to kill a dude but miss, if you are stunned and literally cannot kill a dude, or if your monkeys (newly stressed-out from all the stress buffs) stress-pass your turn

This patch sounds hilarious, I can't wait to get home and lose all my level 6s :getin:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Here's a writeup on the skills. Not C/Ping if you want to avoid spoilers

https://www.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/3uw7yr/new_class_abomination/

edit: It sounds like the new meta might favor stress resist (and disfavor -% resist) a little more. I've also been completely ignoring "-20% stress resist in the Ruins" negative quirks because who gave a poo poo before, and in fact those were my favorite types of quirks to get locked in. Also a lot more gold is going to be going into stress relief instead of provisions/trinkets/quirk locking. I'm tentatively hopeful that this is going to be awesome/hilarious in the long run

The stall penalty sounds like bullshit now though

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 30, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Ramadu posted:

Help how the gently caress do I play this game. I just got it 2 days ago and they just patched it and made it harder and then I tried to run with a 2 abomination party and everyone died of heart attacks )but that is probably good because they are godless abominations and vestals seem way more useful) and then I went back to town and everyone was already dead from other dungeons that I failed to complete and I only had 3 dudes in my hero wagon so that was the end of that run because everyone died.

Have you tried getting good? ;-*

1.) Don't neglect upgrading your stagecoach, you should have more than 3 guys available.
2.) No Estate is ever over unless you want it to be. Hire 3 guys, enter a dungeon. Immediately abandon the dungeon. They get stressed out a bunch but are alive, and attempting a quest has advanced your time by a week.0 Now hire three more guys
3.) Don't get too attached to your early game dudes. They are disposable cannon fodder. That said if they have good traits, you can get a little attached.
4.) Torches at 100% all the goddamn time.
5.) AOE damage is usually a trap in the early game. The best thing you can do to reduce incoming damage/stress is to kill enemies, which means focus fire.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Random thoughts about the new patch:

I'm really liking the Abomination. The choice of "is it worth hulking out in this fight, or not?" is an extra strategic decision in the game that no other char provides.

On that note, why can't we see what the Virtue % chance is? The game's decision to hide random information is very frustrating sometimes.

Plague Doctors are pretty good now. It's amazing that 1 blight damage made that big a difference, but I just fired some dudes to make room for a backup PD.

The new debuffs/secondary effects that almost every mob gets at champion level are hilariously over the top. Spearfishing now moves dudes, because I was totally thinking that pre-patch Pellagic Groupers weren't already annoying as gently caress. The stress damage debuff on the Cultist bleeders is horrible. The Madman is a goddamn nightmare.

Overall, the new stress changes are brutal. I'm spending tons more money on stress maintenance. Perhaps more importantly, sometimes I'm finding myself deciding that it's worth risking going over 100 stress. I've taken to including a Hero's Ring in every team loadout, which is certainly not something I ever did before.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Big Mad Drongo posted:

What are the positive traits that I should be looking for? I have a Bounty Hunter with a +5 accuracy trait and a Hellion with in +10% melee damage trait, both of which seem like no-brainers, but are there any less obvious but still nice traits worth locking in? I'm not sure how I should value stuff like the Explorer traits, deathblow resistance, etc.

On Guard (high speed/dodge on first round -- first round is usually the most dangerous, and the one where you want to go first and alpha them and also avoid their return fire)
Fated
Deadly (1% crit; I'm cooling on this a little)
3% Ranged/Melee Crit
Warrior of Light -- if you're keeping your torch high, why not
Anything +Speed is good if you meet its condition

Explorer/Scrounger/Adventurer etc aren't ever worth locking IMO. I'm trying an Abomination with Irrepressible (+5% virtue chance) but I don't think he's worth it so far.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

is only really any good on inaccurate characters. it only procs on misses, after all.

get it on a Leper, fantastic; get it on a Grave Robber, may as well ignore it

Yep.

Also, I wish they'd put in some sort of notification for a Fated proc. It's not very fun because you have no idea when, if ever, it's proccing. Even boring poo poo like 10% damage is more tangible.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Canopus250 posted:

Has Red Hook made any comments about if anything can be done to fix the trinkets GUI crash issue if you mod the roster size up? This last big update seems to have made it crash always as opposed to some of the time.

I'm finding that as long as I equip trinkets in town instead of in the embark screen, I don't crash as much.

Staying below 30 also seems to help, if I'm below 30 I seem to be able to equip even in the embark screen. I only modded up to 30 myself, but I've read that if you went into the 40s you really need to consider reducing your roster.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Zombie Samurai posted:

Because burning out on incomplete games is very much a thing. Buying an EA game and playing it into the ground before full release can leave people with an overall negative impression of something they would have otherwise enjoyed. I feel like the general shift in sentiment towards Darkest Dungeon is a pretty good example of this.

I buy EA games but I honestly have little interest in playing them until they're complete. I had Invisible Inc in EA and played it for all of two hours. Once it released I sank 70 into it.

Invisible Inc. was also this game for me. bought it, hated it, uninstalled it, forgot I had it.

Came back months after launch and it turns out to be one of the best games I own. Almost didn't even give it another chance.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

:downs:

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 3, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Is... is this not the Marvel Heroes thread :ohdear:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Pfft, like the Highwayman does enough damage to solo 4 enemies

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kly posted:

I thought the town events were things like a character going binge drinking for weeks or going on vision quests when you cured their stress.

Nope, the town events are supposed to change the state of the town itself. Here's all we know about them, from a KS update when the stretch goal was unlocked.

quote:

Battle-weary or proudly triumphant, each time that you return to town after a quest, there is a chance that a Town Event can happen. There are a wide variety of events, with a mixture of positive and negative consequences.

A pox upon your houses!
A pox upon your houses!
Most of the time, even bad events will have an upside. Mostly.

Examples of other events:

Alcohol Shortage! A missed shipment of hops leaves the town dry. Stressed heroes will have to rely on other activities to bring them back down to earth.
Heat Wave! Increased chance of ABUSIVE afflictions on the next expedition. This could be good or bad...
Rumors of a Huge Bounty! Increased chance of recruiting Bounty Hunters while the rumor persists.
The First One's Free! The Nomad is having a sale on trinket purchases.
Missing Cargo Ship! A ship overflowing with treasures and supplies has gone missing near the Cove. Perhaps a quest to that dungeon will be more lucrative than usual.
And more!
Town Events will add flavor to the Hamlet experience, but they also will present you with interesting choices that may alter your plans.

I'm sure they've reconsidered some of those events as the game has evolved (who cares if you can recruit more bounty hunters) but that's the flavor they're looking for

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I'm expecting the Ancestor to show up in some form or another, since he's done nothing but babble in a ghostly voice from the moment the player came near the estate.

At this point if the Ancestor isn't the end boss I'll be massively disappointed

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

January 19, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Cool, that's a relief. I'll still be gazing at it forlornly, I bet, but the game as it exists right now was worth the price of admission anyway. Knowing there's more coming down the line is both tantalizing and excruciating.

The game already has a pretty great modding community who have added in a ton of workable class variants. It's probably not worth it to mod right now because everything breaks every patch, but I'm pretty sure we're gonna have that poo poo modded in for everyone soon after release

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I tried my first foray into the Cove today, and I've got to say, thank god I packed medicinal herbs. I'm wondering if there are any debuffs that herbs won't fix, other than the ones that don't use the orange debuff icon.

I might try keeping them around when I have a Hellion in my roster again, to counteract the self-debuffs that come with her badassery.

Anything that's marked by the two orange arrows is fixable. They fix 'until camp' debuffs, Jester/Hellion self-debuffs, trap debuffs, etc.

It's very expensive to use them on a Hellion, but sometimes very worth it

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yeah, a stack of bandages generally does just fine. You wind up 1000-2500 gold poorer (between buying the bandages and losing a loot slot), but just consider that part of the cost of all of the free quirk treatment the Cove offers :v:

The Cove is so amazing for curios which is the sole reason I tolerate going there

FourLeaf posted:

Hmmm, OK after playing a bit with the new settings I would say the game is pretty unbalanced atm, you can't expect everyone to have grinded up a poo poo ton of wealth to have a buffer in case they wipe a few times.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Jim Sterling's arguments about the game and EA are basically right.

I just started a fresh, ungrinded estate and I'm doing just fine. Also you can recover from any wipe.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

Say you're on an exploration run, fairly low on health, and the last hallway and room is unscouted--you're going to want to hold onto your last 4 food in case of starvation, your last shovel in case there's a barricade, and you're probably still going to want to hold onto your bandages in case of crab. If the end of the hall/last room is empty... welp, there goes 75% of your potential profit. Even if there's a fight and/or treasure, there's no guarantee you're going to get enough loot to fill up 3 slots, and it probably won't be full stacks if you do.

You can jettison supplies earlier, of course, but then a bad starvation event/barricade can jeopardize the mission and/or risk peoples' lives.

True, but in my mind this is part of the risk/reward that makes the game exciting. The whole game is basically resource management and press-your-luck risk taking In the scenario. you describe I ditch the food and the shovel every time, stagger down that last hallway, and commend the fate of my squad of assholes into the hands of an uncaring god.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Is the Ancestor's Map just not available from a long champion reward? I have everything else, I think.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Good news, no need to unequip them, they will gamble away your poo poo whether or not it is actually in their possession :(

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

BHs dominate so hard in a marking team that it'd be hard to buff them without completely changing how marks work. Which is fine by me, because they are dumb.

I dont know posted:

It's been several months since I last played since I'm waiting for the full release to jump back in. Did they ever get the jester to a good place? Last I played his camping skills were good, his buff weren't worth using, and passable bleed skills were his only half decent options in combat.
Stress heal/prevention is more important than ever now and his buff is good, but he's still weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Man at Arms up:

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-presents-the-man-at-arms/