Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Should I just disable Crimson Court as a new player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When I started my new campaign last night, my first Plague Doctor had "will only Gamble" and "is not allowed to Gamble" :v:

RNGesus is funny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why are Lepers bad? My Lepers tend to do more damage than anyone else I have bar Highwaymen and Flaggelents.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, I forgot about Hellion, my Hellion is my MVP pretty much.

What's the best use for Antiquarians? They seem... not good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think I must be totally clueless because Jester seems decent to me. Being able to heal a ton of Stress while keeping the last enemy stunlocked with a Plague Doctor seems pretty useful for Short quests.

edit: they should really patch in a "quickstart campaign" so you don't have to do the tutorials every time you start a new realm. Turning off Tutorials should just drop you at town at "first real quest" stage

precision fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 28, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Should I be doing the first Ruins boss quest ASAP or is the fact that it still says "Apprentice (Lv. 1)" a trap?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It sounds like non-Radiant difficulty is more of a pain than interesting? Like, Jesters aren't bad on Radiant :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Plague Doctors are female?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm having a lot of fun restarting every 13 weeks or so before things get hard :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there some ultra secret reward for keeping Dismas and Reynault alive to the end?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

No I'm not playing on Radiant. I'd play on Blood Moon but with the time limit and new mechanics/bosses, I wanted to finish a run on the normal mode before going back to NG+.

Anyways you're reading an awful lot into a comment about the Flagellant having OP skills which I'm pretty sure most people would agree with. Its fun at first but I'd like to see OP skills get nerfed because using them sucks a lot of the fun out of the game, but not using them feels like you're gimping yourself. The Flagellant is really the only hero right now where I'd say he dips that far into broken territory. Just because he has some ridiculous skills and mechanics doesn't mean the whole game is EZ mode or whatever you're implying.

I never use the Flagellant's heal ability and I don't feel gimped

On Radiant

Difficulty levels exist, please don't encourage them to make this game HARDER

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Highwang posted:

Yeah, especially in Stygian Mode where its "everything will hit and often crit. Get hosed nerd."

And to be a little less flip or dismissive, having some classes be OP and some be "dead weight" is the most basic roguelike component, going at least back to the late 80s in NetHack where Wizards and Valkyries are "easy mode" and Tourists are "haha you think the Jester is bad?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

Call me crazy but I think things being mostly balanced is just ~good game design~. When you have more options to use, things are more fun.

I mean, I agree, but I don't think the best solution is "nerf good characters". In a single player game with multiple difficulty levels (the highest of which has only been completed by something like half of 1% of all players) it's probably better to buff than nerf. Flagellant's healing is too good? Fine, make the Plague Doctor's better or something.

It's better to give more toys than take toys away.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the tourist is better than the jester by far. grayswandir and a silver saber at once, along with free item charging??

The challenge is keeping them alive long enough to get to that point. Post-Castle, every class in NH is a cakewalk.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wizard Styles posted:

Most of the game is already not that hard

Maybe for people like you and I, but my wife finds it incredibly difficult even on Radiant.

That's my point here, try to realize that not everyone is gonna be desiring a kick in the nuts. I daresay many people are happy about the Flagellent. It's a game with difficulty levels and mods, it can be as hard as you want. That's why the Jester nerf was so dumb; it was unnecessary. If the Flagellent is OP, so? You can only ever have one of them anyway.

Just really not agreeing with the "I'm very good at this game and I demand that something that makes the game easier for casuals be nerfed" being applied to a single player game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wizard Styles posted:

It has nothing to do with the Flagellant

Well that's what started the discussion and is the only thing I'm specifically referencing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm still not sure why you need to nerf anything in a single player game with difficulty modes. If the argument is that the Flag is too good, what is the specific and actual harm in leaving him alone? It gives players who aren't good at the game more options. Unless they buff every other class on Radiant, why nerf Flag on every difficulty? You can just not use the class if your only complaint is that he's too good, especially since you have to pay money for him to even exist in your game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Digirat posted:

I saw this exact thing happen to payday 2 and warframe

Neither of which are single player games.

Can't someone just make a mod that nerfs Flagellant? Would it even be particularly hard to make?

If Flagellant is too powerful and is a must use, how did anyone play the game before Crimson Court even existed? :iiam:

And I'm still waiting on any answer to what the harm Flagellant is doing. You have to pay tenbux to even have access to him. He comes with a DLC that makes the game much more difficult, so... doesn't it make some sense that he is powerful? Especially since you can only ever have one of them?

I asked my wife about this and bears out what I've been saying - she's glad Flag is good because the game is very very hard for most video game players. I get that the game is supposed to be hard, but arguing in favor of an official change to make the game harder is just weird and smacks of stupid chest-pounding "git gud" crap that always surrounds games of this nature.

precision fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 4, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

Some people play games for the challenge of it. Making a broken class that removes the challenge isn't fun for them. I'd like to be able to use him, as more options is more fun, but not when he's making everything way easier due to his broken mechanics.

You don't have to agree but I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

And some people (like my wife and I'm sure many others) find this game incredibly challenging even on Radiant and so having a "broken" class that makes the game easier is a positive for them.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

yes why let more people enjoy the game the precious game it's mine my preciiouusssss

Yeah that's where I was afraid this was going, sad that I was right :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Red Hook should implement yet another difficulty level, eventually, and nerf Flagellant right drat now, because I am a robot and/or have no self-control. If something is in the game, I must use it!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

Basically this. If you have concerns about the difficulty for new players you should be looking to Red Hook to make an easier game mode.

My wife and I have been playing for the exact same amount of time. I have never even had a character die and I almost never use Flagellant (until today I had no idea he was "broken"!)

Some people are just inherently not as good at certain kinds of games, especially games like this with permanent consequences that can't be save-scummed around. Punishing them because you aren't good enough to beat the game on the hardest difficulty without using a strong character is some incredibly elitist bullshit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If using the Flagellant makes you feel like you're "cheating" I think the problem is in your brain, not the game's code. Isn't it possible he's intended to be very strong, since he comes with a DLC that makes the game much harder?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Soothing Vapors posted:

there's also very little reason to be so very concerned about nerfs, because there will be a mod on the workshop 25 minutes after they nerf the flag restoring him to his former glory.

Sorry but using mods makes me feel like I'm cheating.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

And no, I don't think he was intended to be insanely strong to balance out the DLC because that makes no sense. You're ignoring that by design you have to use multiple heroes and team comps where the Flagellant won't be present.

It's almost as if you're also ignoring that fact because "Flagellant is too strong" is inherently balanced by "You can't use him in every run". :ironicat:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maluco Marinero posted:

See here's the thing buddy, you're implying that players who want a harder challenge should just mod it too.

No, I'm just saying that people are blowing how good the Flag is way out of proportion and if they want the game to be harder they could just not use him. Or they could use Jesters.

quote:

Single Player balance is essential for longevity of a single player strategy/tactics game, otherwise once people discover the optimum, they may very well just stop playing, the game's 'solved'.

People still play NetHack. Many play it "suboptimally" on purpose.

e: also holy poo poo how could you miss that "using mods makes me feel like I'm cheating" was a joke based on Kraken saying that using the Flag makes him "feel like [he's] cheating"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maluco Marinero posted:

Oh, okay, so your counter-argument is "all that poo poo you said doesn't matter"? Good to know...

Well, I'm still waiting on someone to answer why having Flag be good is harmful. Is it ideal? I guess if you think every class should be equally viable, then yes, it's not ideal. But, legit question, have Red Hook ever said that every class is supposed to be equal in power level? Even pre-nerf Jester was noticeably worse than almost everyone else, so either Red Hook are OK with class imbalance (maybe they WANT people to discover how good the Flag is?) or they're bad at making their own game.

I keep intentionally phrasing things like "Isn't it possible?" whereas many people arguing with me seem to be speaking as if they work at Red Hook. I legitimately don't know what their design philosophy is here, but at least I admit that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I truly apologize for coming off as harsh as I did in that argument. I've had a bad week involving crazy people threatening me at work, not that that makes it better!

I do hope they can work out some balance issues that make the game too RNG dependant. Maybe for a high price you can recruit specific characters? Like if the RNG has been giving you no front line dudes, you can pay a few thousand to recruit from the "warrior" pool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If I'm being honest, I probably would have backed this game on the art style alone

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think in the early game the Highwaymen are A rank if not S. They certainly seem to rack up a whole lot of damage with Grapeshot Blast and Open Vein.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

waaaait how long has it been since you were able to shift-click provisions to buy an entire stack?

so many clicks... wasted...

are you loving kidding me

Well at least I didn't play for 2 years without knowing that :j:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I always knew you could switch abilities mid-dungeon but for a while I kept forgetting to set the "good" abilities on my new dudes and ended up starting the first fight with awful/no options.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What effects does the level of an area have? Will Apprentice quests eventually stop appearing, do the dungeons get harder with every level, or is it just a way to unlock the bosses?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dongicus posted:

Should I just sell trinkets that have a speed malus? they dont seem worth having at all.

Speed can't go below 0 and some low level heroes have 0-4 Speed so the hit to Speed is negligible compared to the benefit (depending on the trinket)

In my experience (I'm a scrub)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drewjitsu posted:

I find that having a low speed Healer is usually a benefit, as you get to react to where the healing is most needed rather than guessing.

Yeah it's especially helpful to do a Party Heal at the very end of a round when there's only 1 enemy left that you know you can finish off (unless all your guys decide to miss that turn :v: )

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ugh I don't want to have to use a mod but the stacking limits or lack thereof are so bullshit. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mzbundifund posted:

...Egg man?

We, all, dressed in black, we snuck up around the back

I hit the endgame and I've decided this game is basically perfect if you ignore the titular Darkest Dungeon entirely

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drewjitsu posted:

Am I just super lucky and never really roll bad on occultist healing? Because his load out is the healing head + Churigon's Charm, and he rarely (if ever) rolls 0. A rough guess would be 0-1 times per dungeon.

I've used him as a main healer and have never had a problem with it. I usually have another character that can self heal in a pinch, but I was rarely hosed over, even with a low roll.

Same here, I started a new game the other night and I'm up to week 30 and I can count the number of sub-3 heals on one hand. I've been routinely bringing him as my only healer. The Bleed has almost never procced either.

I know the plural of "anecdote" isn't "data" but it really feels like there is something going on. Is he more likely to heal well when there's plenty of light? Or not stressed? It's crazy that in 10-12 hours of play both of my Occultists have been so lucky, whereas last time I played (month ago or two ago?) I got lots of 0-3 heals.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Trickling out new classes for a few bucks each is great, I hope they do more. Warts and all, at the end of the day DD is one of my most-played games in recent memory (only Persona 5 and Pillars of Eternity come close, I've played PoE about twice as many hours as DD)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm really digging Shieldbreaker so far. Started a fresh game because why not! I might like her even more than Hellion but maybe that's just because she's new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So I've been playing a bit more and think I've gotten a handle on things ( a little). I upgraded the blacksmith a little bit but that didn't seem to do much so I've been pumping everything into the pub and abbey so I can de-stress as many people at once as possible.

I wouldn't do this. The Pub/Abbey are perfectly fine out of the gate, they should be the very last things you upgrade. Blacksmith is one of the FIRST and best things to upgrade.