Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzachel
May 12, 2012

The Gorp posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I'm far too aggressive while playing this game. But why should I change?
What are the best characters for diving in 3v1 and not giving a drat about what happens?

I'm seeing success with mostly Ranid, Reaver and Glutton doing this but would love to know of more, most guardians seem to be defensive rather than smash mouthed in style of play.

The game flows like this: first you zone and try to get into a good position to pick up the energy orb, second you get (or don't) the energy orb and focus the enemy most out of position while trying to cc their buddies, third you clean up the rest of their team. Of course if you're playing solo matchmaking, both of your teammates are going to rush two screen widths away, die and blame the healer :v:

You can try out all the tanks, Harbinger and Spearmaster, they all have tools to deal with going 1v2 or worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I have 3 different accounts and no idea which is the right one so time to roll the dice.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Welp got the wrong one. Once I got in I did a profile search and figured out which was the right one. I don't know if making a trash account by starting up BLC through Steam and just following the prompts to pick a name locks you out of connecting an account later but it might help to give a list of possible usernames and have people search to see which has the most activity for you.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

koolkal posted:

Welp got the wrong one. Once I got in I did a profile search and figured out which was the right one. I don't know if making a trash account by starting up BLC through Steam and just following the prompts to pick a name locks you out of connecting an account later but it might help to give a list of possible usernames and have people search to see which has the most activity for you.

Try shooting them an email, they can probably sort you out.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Arzachel posted:

Try shooting them an email, they can probably sort you out.

Yeah I already found a link on the forums before noticing all my profiles were listed ingame in the profile search.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PR-ivzywRKUU9_-nV_IWmTJkq8mrq0Qsj-1m5ztSWQY/viewform

This is the link to the support form.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Am I blind or did they remove teams and 2v2s altogether? I mostly played 2v2 and now there's only the 3v3 solo queue. :( (which I guess you can join with a party but you still gotta deal with randoms if there's less than 3 of you)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

koolkal posted:

Yeah, you're only allowed to link 1 BLC account per 1 Steam account. It's kind of lovely but that's how SLS set is up, apparently. I think SLS can un-link your account if you contact them through the support form, though. I haven't tried, but I did hear of success stories when people asked them about it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Elukka posted:

Am I blind or did they remove teams and 2v2s altogether? I mostly played 2v2 and now there's only the 3v3 solo queue. :( (which I guess you can join with a party but you still gotta deal with randoms if there's less than 3 of you)

Seems so, makes sense not to split the mm pool even if that means matching stacks against solo players.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

novaSphere posted:

Yeah, you're only allowed to link 1 BLC account per 1 Steam account. It's kind of lovely but that's how SLS set is up, apparently. I think SLS can un-link your account if you contact them through the support form, though. I haven't tried, but I did hear of success stories when people asked them about it.

Yeah it's a specific option on their support form.

Kraden
Mar 22, 2010
Oh man this is getting me excited. What are the odds that they remove traits and medallions and just focus on what made this good in good old S1?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm so loving pumped

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Do we have a steam group?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Nope, join the channel "cute" ingame.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Is Sentinel actually worthwhile? I've had nothing but the worst results and the most fun playing him.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Contacted Funcom support, we'll see if I can get my old account linked.

If not, I will grind for however long it takes to get my beloved Metal Warden back.

edit: Wow, they already responded to my ticket and I've got my accounts linked! God it feels good to play this game again.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 2, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
alchemist seems poo poo. wheres the escapes?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bakka bakka posted:

Is Sentinel actually worthwhile? I've had nothing but the worst results and the most fun playing him.

He seems okay but his lack of really good CC or ability to turtle up makes it really difficult to just go ham. He can use his grapple to escape, but that requires a teammate or wall on demand.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do you play the 5v5 game mode?

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm glad to see this getting a bit of attention again! I enjoyed it a great deal a while back but couldn't get any friends into it Because they are fuckers. Gotta check out Cute!

psychopomp is psychocool

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I had fond memory of the game and my friends actually agreed to install it again without too much coaxing. Unfortunately their servers seem to give us higher ping than used to....to the point of it being unplayable (which isn't too surprising for me, because I've since moved to china. My friends were able to play with reasonable ping before and they are also having lag problem though.

Alas, hopefully one of these days I'll be able to play it again. Really a great game that's unfortunately plagued by low player count.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
This game is amazing and everyone should try it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
For anyone who habitually loses their cursor, here's a replacement set. Place these in your BLC/Content directory. No need to back up the defaults, the game will make new ones if these are deleted. Give them a try, I've found them to be much easier to play with.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvfmmlfmysgwli9/BigCircleCur.rar?dl=0

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Oh poo poo, so is this good again? I heard it was The Best for a while, and then it became Real Bad.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

Oh poo poo, so is this good again? I heard it was The Best for a while, and then it became Real Bad.

It still has that LoL rune bullshit, but the game now drowns you in coins so it doesn't really matter.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Sleeping potion is a long rear end disable, dispel does that and knocks back. Alch is one of the best healers defensively, but she's very reliant on good aim.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 2, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
We broke a thousand people online yesterday :)

Played some arena with friends, forgot how insanely intense games can get. Fist pumping after kills in close matches and just cheering in my friends, edge of my seat the whole time. Also learned that spectating existed, I had forgotten!

The game is good.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The EU mm server went down a few times too, nice to see so many people playing again.

Does the replay function work or is it easier to record through shadowplay or something?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was never a huge fan of this game, but that was 90% Funcom's doing. It's the best vaguely AoS-y game there is though.

Freemium sucks but idleing for Blood Coins is okay with me!

PS medallions, traits, other meta-bonuses can eat a dick.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Anatharon posted:

PS medallions, traits, other meta-bonuses can eat a dick.

They loving suck, dude

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

They loving suck, dude

I don't know if you're agreeing with me or saying that they're irrelevant.

PS: Play Headhunter. Looks coolest, is coolest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Anatharon posted:

I don't know if you're agreeing with me or saying that they're irrelevant.

PS: Play Headhunter. Looks coolest, is coolest.

I'm agreeing, though they are often irrelevant, at least Medallions are in pubs, it's only at a pretty high level that coordinating burst with meteor shards and poo poo starts happening. Gems are dumb forever even if the boost is relatively small, maybe especially for that reason.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I was ready to be this games #1 fan again.

Then Gems and traits happened.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The dumbest thing is that all the stats were nerfed by ~10% so the gems just put you back at baseline.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Arzachel posted:

The dumbest thing is that all the stats were nerfed by ~10% so the gems just put you back at baseline.

I didn't know this and now i'm more mad than ever.
The great thing about this game is that it was pure arena game play and now there is an uneven playing field and hidden numbers. When I see a Ranid I have no idea what boosts he has or how to play now that numbers have changed. I have no idea why games that try to be "competitive" add in poo poo like this that frankly makes the game less so. Please tell me these boosts are banned or disable-able in some modes of play.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm awful at this game and thus i hate it and don't ever want to play it again.

I'll probably play it more tomorrow since it's snowing all over the place here.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

CuddlyZombie posted:

It was The Best and then they added some stupid poo poo but to be fair it was still Real Good. The problem was more the dying player base.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Oh man don't diss my alch. Seriously though, she's kinda hard to play. I might have some meaningful advice if it wasn't over a year since I last played the game, but in general, positioning is vital, so is timing of abilities like Barrier.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

The Gorp posted:

The great thing about this game is that it was pure arena game play and now there is an uneven playing field and hidden numbers. When I see a Ranid I have no idea what boosts he has or how to play now that numbers have changed. I have no idea why games that try to be "competitive" add in poo poo like this that frankly makes the game less so. Please tell me these boosts are banned or disable-able in some modes of play.

The game plays the same way it did before once you shell out for medallions and stick in sapphires in every slot, it's just a pointless grind. It's useful to know what the most common medalions do but 9/10 times you're better off spending the energy on an ex move instead. At least you get a ton of coins now so you can get done with that in a day of two and the game is still extremely good.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 2, 2015

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I'm still the baby who plays glutton/blood priest/ranid/reaver with the express intent of saving up for super though.
I suppose I should learn how to manage super bar and press the god forsaken z and x keys.

Also, does it have to be sapphires?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Gorp posted:

:10bux:

They only care about being competitive for money; There isn't such a thing as a benevolent video game company.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I hope they remove all that dumb bullshit with funcom gone. I'm pretty sure it lost them money in the long run anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

The Gorp posted:

I'm still the baby who plays glutton/blood priest/ranid/reaver with the express intent of saving up for super though.
I suppose I should learn how to manage super bar and press the god forsaken z and x keys.

Also, does it have to be sapphires?

According to the setup I made back when I knew too much about this game, yes, you should only pick sapphires.

• Locked thread