Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Leonard Nimoy passed away today. I read both his autobiographies last year and they were great, short and sweet and funny. "I am not spock" (1975) and then "I am spock" (1995), definitely worth a read if you ever watched/liked TOS. I remember in it him talking a lot about how much he would smoke and how much he regretted it

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A reminder that Luke Foley's big first announcement as Labor leader after Robertson resigned , his first policy announcement following a few years of Liberal party member after member being turfed for ICAC finding rampant corruption, was to...

Announce that if elected he would lower taxes on horse racing so we could be the new home of horse racing instead of Victoria. An issue that had literally never been suggested before in the current governments or oppositions as a thing to consider, now one anyone in the public gave a gently caress about.

Holy loving poo poo.

It wasn't helped since with the dog racing scandal which, even though horse != dogs, has made gambling sort of a no go zone thus defeating everything else to do with the policy.

Liberal are winning in NSW so don't be shocked in a months time.

Also

Dennis Shanahan posted:

THE renewed attempt to panic Tony Abbott into a false step or force Malcolm Turnbull or Julie Bishop into an early leadership challenge is driven, in part, by the fear the Prime Minister’s position may recover.

Ah Dennis and Bolt, the last two true believers. Hell I haven't even seen Greg Sheridan pop up to claim Abbott's rising like the reincarnated F35.

Lid fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 27, 2015

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"
Yeah, the only big policy the Libs introduced I can think of that has negatively affected New South Welshman was the lockouts in the cbd that has forced many small businesses to go under and close up shop, or bar staff having hours cut/becoming unemployed .

....and Labor was calling for that before the Libs were.

Honestly on the state level to me, NSW Labor and Liberal are as conservative and corrupt as each other.

Oh and the train timetable change that screwed a small number of people over. I'm not even sure if that's been fixed up yet.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
There's no good outcome from Turnbull being the leader come next election. Either he actually turns it around and they hold office, or they still get beaten and the wing nuts in the party like Bernardi use it as another example of why the party needs to drive further to the right(inevitably dragging the Labor party with them like a sack of potatoes)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Leonard Nimoy passed away today. I read both his autobiographies last year and they were great, short and sweet and funny. "I am not spock" (1975) and then "I am spock" (1995), definitely worth a read if you ever watched/liked TOS. I remember in it him talking a lot about how much he would smoke and how much he regretted it

Abbott killed Nimoy to distract the nerds from the data retention laws

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Gough Suppressant posted:

There's no good outcome from Turnbull being the leader come next election.
Hopefully we'll have less poo poo government for a year at least.

Also I don't want Shorten to win the next election by default just because he's not Abbott. Labor needs at least some pressure in order to get their act together. At least Turnbull might make some overtures to the political centre which might make Labor re-think their current position as the Liberal-lites.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Gough Suppressant posted:

...(... a sack of rotten smelly potatoes)

There are standard to be maintained in journalism you kno..

With all the varied and important issues requiring public examination you can count on one brave paper to really have it's hand on the..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah those freeloading backpackers, how dare they bring their tourist money to Australia

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Lid posted:

A reminder that Luke Foley's big first announcement as Labor leader after Robertson resigned , his first policy announcement following a few years of Liberal party member after member being turfed for ICAC finding rampant corruption, was to...

Announce that if elected he would lower taxes on horse racing so we could be the new home of horse racing instead of Victoria. An issue that had literally never been suggested before in the current governments or oppositions as a thing to consider, now one anyone in the public gave a gently caress about.

Holy loving poo poo.

It wasn't helped since with the dog racing scandal which, even though horse != dogs, has made gambling sort of a no go zone thus defeating everything else to do with the policy.

Liberal are winning in NSW so don't be shocked in a months time.

Also

Ah Dennis and Bolt, the last two true believers. Hell I haven't even seen Greg Sheridan pop up to claim Abbott's rising like the reincarnated F35.

Yeah NSW Labor somehow manage to be even more poo poo than Federal Labor, there is also the part about them saying they won't build the off ramps for Westconnex in the electorate of Newtown because it's looking like the Greens will win the seat. I don't think that is fooling anybody though. Anyway this has all been good ammunition against Labor voters here in the inner west, at least the outcome is looking good for the Greens!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Cartoon posted:

There are standard to be maintained in journalism you kno..

With all the varied and important issues requiring public examination you can count on one brave paper to really have it's hand on the..

Alright, 44 pages on where to score some coke!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Trapezium Dave posted:

Hopefully we'll have less poo poo government for a year at least.

Also I don't want Shorten to win the next election by default just because he's not Abbott. Labor needs at least some pressure in order to get their act together. At least Turnbull might make some overtures to the political centre which might make Labor re-think their current position as the Liberal-lites.

The trouble is the ALP doesn't get their act together when under pressure, they just cave in and move further to the right.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

tomkash posted:

there is also the part about them saying they won't build the off ramps for Westconnex in the electorate of Newtown because it's looking like the Greens will win the seat..

Hahahaha isn't that exactly the thing that everyone, including Labor, blasted Newman for in Queensland?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
aww bro

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I just check my phone and realised I had a voice mail from wednesday that I'd missed. It was an automatic voice message phone call from the Liberal Party, specifically naming Baird and my local member, explaining that that the elictricity privatisation was not an electricity privatisation as they would be selling off only 49% of the poles and wires and to not be taken in by Labor's lies. So that's a thing.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

MythLisp posted:

Yeah, the only big policy the Libs introduced I can think of that has negatively affected New South Welshman was the lockouts in the cbd that has forced many small businesses to go under and close up shop, or bar staff having hours cut/becoming unemployed .

....and Labor was calling for that before the Libs were.

Honestly on the state level to me, NSW Labor and Liberal are as conservative and corrupt as each other.

Oh and the train timetable change that screwed a small number of people over. I'm not even sure if that's been fixed up yet.

I'd say that the removal of one's right to silence was a "big policy" which the NSW Libs introduced, but no one seems to care.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

xPanda posted:

I'd say that the removal of one's right to silence was a "big policy" which the NSW Libs introduced, but no one seems to care.

I had completely forgotten about that.
The influx of completely poo poo policies from both State and Federal Libs is hard to keep track of.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

MythLisp posted:

I had completely forgotten about that.
The influx of completely poo poo policies from both State and Federal Libs is hard to keep track of.

So has the rest of the state, if they ever noticed. I only learned of it through this tread, I can't recall ever seeing it mentioned on any TV news program.

There has also been the stupid hunting stuff which was necessary to get the Shooters and Fishers onside in the upper house, allowing them to pass such as the above.

Also, what the gently caress is with Westconnex? They're going to start tolling the M4? gently caress's sake, you can't get anywhere in this city in reasonable time without being bled for it.

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010
Roads are the infrastructure of the 21st century didn't you hear?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

Six private tertiary colleges in Queensland are among 23 across Australia being investigated after widespread allegations of students being tricked into signing up for courses.

It comes as the federal government this week introduced new laws designed to clamp down on the dodgy private colleges that have proliferated throughout the country.

The legislation will allow the government to create quality standards at short notice, force unethical marketers to identify which registered training organisation [RTO] is providing the course and extend the registration period for compliant colleges from five to seven years to better target audits to "high risk" providers.

Assistant minister for education and training Simon Birmingham announced that the Australian Skills Quality Authority [ASQA] would also investigate 23 vocational educational institutions.

"Any training providers found to be engaged in practices that are contrary to the required national standards could face regulatory sanctions, including the cancellation or suspension of their registration," Senator Birmingham said.

The names of the training organisations under investigation have not been released. Aside from the six from Queensland, others include seven from NSW and six from Victoria.

Those businesses that breach fair-trading laws face penalties up to $1.1 million.

State Minister for Training and Skills Yvette D'Ath said while ASQA was heading up the investigation, she was concerned to see six organisations were from Queensland.

"Labor wants to ensure quality in training and that is why prior to the election Labor announced it would establish an independent Training Ombudsman, to ensure the training sector receives proper scrutiny and is delivering quality courses and outcomes for students and employers in this state," she said.

"This is a matter I'll be taking seriously and I'll be working with federal government to ensure the sector receives effective and robust oversight in Queensland."

Last week, The Australian Council for Private Education and Training head said that the group wanted problem operators to be "eradicated".

"Whatever measures can be taken to protect the interest of students and the reputations of quality providers must be acted on, now," the organisation's chief executive Rod Camm said.

"We fully accept that there are problems that must be stamped out, but this behaviour is only in a small number of providers and they do not represent the entire industry."

The sector has boomed since the government opened up public funding to the private sector.

Courses can cost from $10,000 for a diploma of school age education and care, to $19,000 for a diploma of electronics and communications engineering. While students rack up thousands of dollars in debt, taxpayers are also being hit, with loans being taken out through the federal government's VET FEE-HELP program.

Since 2011, ASQA has refused 15.6 per cent of applications nationwide to set up a new private college, while 6.1 per cent of applications to re-register an existing RTO have been denied.

ASQA chief commissioner Christopher Robinson said that while the majority of training organisations provided useful skills, those that did not meet the required standards would have the book thrown at the them.

"Registered training organisations are required to provide students with information including any VET FEE-HELP, government funded subsidy or other financial support arrangements and any obligations to repay any debt incurred," Mr Robinson said.

THE FREE MARKET

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Westconnex is the massive loving road project going through the Inner West of Sydney. Extending the M4 east to join up with Anzac Bridge / Victoria Road and extending it south to link up with the M5.

Lid posted:

I just check my phone and realised I had a voice mail from wednesday that I'd missed. It was an automatic voice message phone call from the Liberal Party, specifically naming Baird and my local member, explaining that that the elictricity privatisation was not an electricity privatisation as they would be selling off only 49% of the poles and wires and to not be taken in by Labor's lies. So that's a thing.

I got that robocall a few days ago too I think.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Labor aren't running in the upcoming Gippsland by-election. Given the choice of supporting a newly anti-Liberal and anti-CSG National party or their natural allies in the Greens, Labor decides to support... the Liberals.

https://www.facebook.com/ABCGippsland/posts/10152817788559825

Labor Gonna Labe Labe Labe Labe Labe

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

THE FREE MARKET

Not really, the reason these things are so profitable is because the government pays for them and people who would never ordinarily be able to spend $10k+ are suddenly able to.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

open24hours posted:

Not really, the reason these things are so profitable is because the government pays for them and people who would never ordinarily be able to spend $10k+ are suddenly able to.

He might mean free market slash lack of regulation.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Westconnex is the massive loving road project going through the Inner West of Sydney. Extending the M4 east to join up with Anzac Bridge / Victoria Road and extending it south to link up with the M5.

I see the sense in making a no-traffic lights road extend further towards the CBD from the east end of the M4, but it loving shits me that the toll-free M4 is going to be tolled. Similarly for NorthConnex, I see the sense in closing gaps in the motorway network.

However, it seems like spending money to get people off the bloody roads in the first place would lead to a lessening of congestion, but I'm preaching to the converted here.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah, it was Howard who let all those private "educational" institutions be born. iirc.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Yeah road projects just shuffle the congestion around really. All those people on citylink around here in the mornings/afternoons still need to use the same inner city feeder roads to get onto said project and the whole thing just chokes to death under sheer weight of private cars.

I'm of the opinion what we need to spend money on is an adaptive ride share cab system, trains, and buses (like everyone else in here), but I think better consumer education is very important too. People frequently try and drive/catch cabs into the city during peak hour when there is a train system that will get them in out and faster and cheaper, and they STILL opt for putting yet another car on the road.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I obviously do not want this to be considered an endorsement of the NSW Liberals, but they don't share the same hatred of roads that the Federal branch does and have actually got some pretty significant rail infrastructure projects planned / in progress. They're loving them up a bit (lol single deck cars) but they will actually talk about things like a second harbour crossing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Anidav posted:

THE FREE MARKET

From the NSW sides

quote:

College claims $50 million in loans

Australasian College Broadway has received more than $50 million from new Federal Government HECS-style training loans since 2009.

The college's Salon Management diploma course costs $27,880 and many students pay using student loans known as VET-FEE-HELP.

The loans are billed in instalments and students must withdraw from a course before specified census dates to avoid continuing to be billed a government debt.

One former tutor, who did not wanted to be identified, said she helped an illiterate student write a letter to withdraw from the college and later saw it torn up in a bin.

"That student had language and literacy problems. I helped her write that letter. It was just on a piece of paper and there was no form because there wasn't a form," she said.

"That letter was ripped and put into the bin. Obviously I saw it because I helped her write it."

She said the college hampered students' attempts to withdraw from courses, and avoid the ensuing debt.

If they were telephoned she said they were put on a loop.

"They would get the run-around. Many times [staff] were saying [relevant staff] weren't there when they were there," she said.

"And the students were absolutely fed up. They couldn't sign out."

Another former staff member said she dealt with up to six people a week wanting to withdraw from the course.

She said they were "stonewalled".

"I believe they were deliberately ignored because they wanted to cancel out of the program," she said.

"It would take them six months, at least, of continually calling before any work was done for them in releasing them from VET-FEE-HELP."

Her concerns were backed by Ms Saxton who said she tried to leave the college early on after becoming dissatisfied with the quality of its courses.

"I asked for a piece of paper to get out of there - 'they said that's fine and we'll go get the paper work'. They didn't," she said.

Media player: "Space" to play, "M" to mute, "left" and "right" to seek.
Audio: Sydney college accused of claiming federal loans without training students to standard (AM)

"Then I asked again and they said they'd post it."

Another single mother, who also wanted to remain anonymous, told the ABC she made numerous attempts to withdraw from a diploma at the college.

"None of my phone calls were returned," she said.

The college said all requests to withdraw from the college were dealt with immediately, with the college ceasing to charge students from the first date they phoned the college.

"The college believes that there was one occasion when two withdrawals were placed on the ... desk by the mail clerk but were buried with other paperwork,'' the statement said.

"When the withdrawals were identified they were acted upon immediately and without financial penalty to the students.''

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

More roads is pretty dumb when you consider they are already over capacity and adding a lane each way is going to do sweet gently caress all, especially when a lane each way isn't the whole length of the road too.

I mean you could dump the money into public transport but you still have to convince people to use it and our society is way too fygm to ever do that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I obviously do not want this to be considered an endorsement of the NSW Liberals, but they don't share the same hatred of roads that the Federal branch does and have actually got some pretty significant rail infrastructure projects planned / in progress. They're loving them up a bit (lol single deck cars) but they will actually talk about things like a second harbour crossing.

Yeah essentially the years of Labor thumb twiddling under Obeid to maximise profit has left a plethora of "hey this should've been done years ago" backlog that the Liberal's can exploit for their own profit in other directions. Roads, trains, airplanes.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

On the other hand, privatising VET and selling the electricity grid.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
People follow the path of least resistance, and if you make rail that path then people will follow it. No one, anywhere, ever enjoys sitting in traffic for 45 minutes stressed out and caffeine free because they woke up 5 minutes too late hoping like hell there aren't road works or an accident holding up traffic just so they can pay a billion dollars for parking at the other end. I've done it, it's poo poo, but it was still better than catching the train. Want to get arseholes like me off the road? Easy, improve the train system. If I knew I could reliably go station to station in a reasonable time frame I'd never drive.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

That's why I'm not voting or campaigning for them, and why I said "I wouldn't want this to be considered an endorsement". Just that their approach to transport isn't as poo poo as previous governments or compared to other states / the federal level, and it's part of the reason why they'll get back in easily.

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs
What's so bad about the Westconnex plan? I'm no fan of the Liberals but it seems like a pretty reasonable way to alleviate the congestion that plagues the inner west (by diverting the traffic from the middle and outer suburbs undergound). It won't do much for inner city congestion (which isn't that bad anyway), but in the inner suburbs, especially around paramatta road east of concord, king street and the princes highway should show some pretty major improvement from a new highway underneath them carrying the commuters through, bypassing the suburban streets. It'd also be great for carrying buses for the middle and outer suburbs into the city.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It really doesn't matter when you have an invisible opposition. John Robertson was a bigger empty suit than Bill Shorten, and managed to make even fewer appearances in public, to be replaced by Luke Foley who was ostensibly to repair Labor only to immediately fall over at saying he was against same sex marriage and his major policy announcement being over horse racing.

The only thing worse than a terrible leader is voting for someone whose sole claim to lead is by not being them. It got Barry O'Farrell over the line in the unloseable election but that is a huge exception to the rule.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The arguments against it that I've seen have basically been that it's a shitload of money that could be spent elsewhere and that the revenue model / business case is a bit dodgy and it so it might end up being another Lane Cove / Cross-City tunnel.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

:zinger:

As Lee Rhiannon pointed out, this week is hardly the time for Shorten of all people to be talking about a lack of difference between leaders.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
it wouldn't be that difficult to put shorten in place of turnbull either.

anyway I'm off to the first Bayside Greens meeting, going to stack the branch with Goons and lead a takeover.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Lid posted:

He dutifully dropped a 2,500 word screed this morning about how Abbott is a deep, complex man who the simple public just don't truly understand, and that he'll grow into a great prime minister with time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

thatbastardken posted:

it wouldn't be that difficult to put shorten in place of turnbull either.

• Locked thread