Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we have one pos lenovo laptop at work that i use to drive some dsp dev board stuff and it has a left/right scroll area that takes up the top 1/3 of the trackpad and an up/down scroll area that takes up the right 1/3 and the trackpad is already really small so you only have about 1 square inch of usable trackpad space and every time i have to use this computer i want to throw it out the window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
edge scrolling is the worst poo poo and i'm waiting for someone to come out of the blue and defend it

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
i forgot to mention tap to click randomly turns itself on, thats p cool

Phoenixan posted:

edge scrolling is the worst poo poo and i'm waiting for someone to come out of the blue and defend it

its me im defending it

when it works well its v. convenient

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

trackpad morelike trashpad

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

A Pinball Wizard posted:

its me im defending it

when it works well its v. convenient
lol except the fact that it never works well

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Phoenixan posted:

lol except the fact that it never works well

true :negative:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Phoenixan posted:

whats edge scrolling

Troutful
May 31, 2011

my lab bought a thinkpad specifically to run the one biology-related program that wouldn't work on any of our macs, it takes up a huge corner of the bench that could otherwise be used for a pcr machine or something cool/useful, and I predict it'll end up in the bottom of a drawer by the end of the year

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theadder posted:

whats edge scrolling

somethting people who have not seen the light deal with my brother

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

theadder posted:

whats edge scrolling

Move your finger up and down on the left (or right depending on your setting) edge of the trackpad to scroll vertically. Same deal for horizontal scrolling on what is usually the bottom edge of the trackpad. It's awful. That's why most trackpads now mimic Mac OS gestures.

Seriously. I don't know who Apple murdered or what companies they bought, but they have hands down the best trackpad by a mile.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im sheltered within the strong arms of apple patents

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
2-finger scrolling ftw

pram
Jun 10, 2001

theadder posted:

im sheltered within the strong arms of apple patents

lol

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
i still have a t400 and it has adequately suited my laptop needs without having a pile of poorly-designed gimmicky bullshit on top

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Jose Oquendo posted:

Seriously. I don't know who Apple murdered or what companies they bought, but they have hands down the best trackpad by a mile.
considering i had touchpads work better under kde than in windows, i think it might just be windows being a pos laptop os. still not functioning as well as my macbook, but considerably better than what could be done under the supplied synaptic drivers for windows

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
did anyone ever have a trackpad with circle/spiral scrolling

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
thinkpads are still basically the only good windows laptop which says a lot about windows laptops

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

chmods please posted:

i still have a t400 and it has adequately suited my laptop needs without having a pile of poorly-designed gimmicky bullshit on top

i had a t400 at my old job and it was a plasticy piece of poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Phoenixan posted:

considering i had touchpads work better under kde than in windows, i think it might just be windows being a pos laptop os. still not functioning as well as my macbook, but considerably better than what could be done under the supplied synaptic drivers for windows

yeah this has been my experience as well, the windows touchpad is awful.

linux is significantly better but still the apple touchpad is just way betteri n every way.

like i find the touchscreens on various phones to be more or less the same, i honestly cant tell a difference. but laptop touchpads, ugh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the only bad thing about apple touchpads is that they're a gremlin, but that's only a problem like once every 6 months when i clean my touchpad

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
i own a lenovo and am quite happy with it op. its a knockoff laptop, sure, but it literally comes with the same hardware as a name brand one for $500 more, and the people that buy those weird ones are retards anyway. mine is a z50 and its been an as good or better replacent for any other name brand that would cost %30 percent more, hth op

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i have a lenovo and while i like it the hinge and lower plastic around the moniter is falling apart which sucks because i really don't want to have to spend money on a new one

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

du -hast posted:

i own a lenovo and am quite happy with it op. its a knockoff laptop, sure, but it literally comes with the same hardware as a name brand one for $500 more, and the people that buy those weird ones are retards anyway. mine is a z50 and its been an as good or better replacent for any other name brand that would cost %30 percent more, hth op
nice ideapad there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's great that the level below think is idea

nice branding

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
well, if there's anything sites like kickstarter have shown us, ideas are a dime a dozen while thinking takes effort

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
To my surprise Lenovo Trackpad software does not disable trackpad/trackpoint when you add USB mouse. I found out after recommending my wife getting a Lenovo to replace her HP Paviliion. WHY? My cheapo Asus netbooks do it, her previous laptop did it, I thought it would be universal in touchpad drivers but apparently not with Lenovo. There is a loving registry key for it but it did nothing! hankfully I found some blog with a registry hack for Synaptic drivers which worked on the Lenovo.

Otherwise so far she's been happy with it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Jose Oquendo posted:

probably the same way that crapple now has the only computers left in the world that turn on via the fingerprint scanner

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

did anyone ever have a trackpad with circle/spiral scrolling

ugh. in my last job i was charged with buying and setting up a new laptop for the guy who owned the company (even long after i stopped being a cj i retained owner family cj duties). the rest of the family had seen the light and had macs so i used to buy him vaios and it seemed that every single loving time sony added a new retarded way to scroll with a special snowflake driver that i had to kill with fire, one of those was definitely circle scrolling. one of them had a jog wheel. A loving JOG WHEEL

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

blowfish posted:

also it was a failure in every way, since no amount of clickpads can make a black box attractive to hipsters and the wider mack community (but i am repeating myself)

more like shoving a lovely clickpad onto your line of laptops does not make them usable

chmods please posted:

press the thinkvantage™ button at any time to activate the lenovo® thinkcenter system™

also whomever designed that disgusting thinkpad mouse with a... tumour... instead of a wheel should be shot.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Rosoboronexport posted:

To my surprise Lenovo Trackpad software does not disable trackpad/trackpoint when you add USB mouse. I found out after recommending my wife getting a Lenovo to replace her HP Paviliion. WHY? My cheapo Asus netbooks do it, her previous laptop did it, I thought it would be universal in touchpad drivers but apparently not with Lenovo. There is a loving registry key for it but it did nothing! hankfully I found some blog with a registry hack for Synaptic drivers which worked on the Lenovo.

Otherwise so far she's been happy with it.

why would you want to do this

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
rip my t61p with the best laptop keyboard ever devised by man

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have a t420s and it is very needs suiting. never going to get a spinning drive in a laptop again.

only lol lenovo thing I've run into is that the bios has a whitelist of wifi cards so I can't swap out the Intel 6300 a/b/g/n card with a 7260 ac card.

speaking of the track pads might be poo poo but every thinkpad I've ever worked with has had absolutely amazing wifi range.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 1, 2015

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lenovo shipped one bad thing before they even bought Thinkpad Brand and designs which had also shipped some bad things so its like double bad in yospos terms.

everybody should scoff and spit in the direction of anything lenovo

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

you sound bitter, adshed thread not as popular as you like?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

no this is yospos adobe logic being applied everywhere ironically

yeessh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pagancow posted:

lenovo shipped one bad thing before they even bought Thinkpad Brand and designs which had also shipped some bad things so its like double bad in yospos terms.

everybody should scoff and spit in the direction of anything lenovo

i go past their main office on my way to work every day. should i be spitting out the bus window in that direction?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

idk as the adobe thread every time a flash installer comes up what do they do?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

i go past their main office on my way to work every day. should i be spitting out the bus window in that direction?

no. you should be making GBS threads out the bus window in their direction

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pagancow posted:

idk as the adobe thread every time a flash installer comes up what do they do?
i take a moment of silence for macromedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

press the thinkvantage™ button at any time to activate the lenovo® thinkcenter system™

lol as if anyone actually keeps the oem software installed

• Locked thread