Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
i have a legit srs question w.r.t this

i bought a leanovo (lol) laptop last november, and it has been v reliable and needs suiting fyi, but came witha bunch of preloaded shitt, which i got rid of most of

but it didnt come with a windows disk or anything, and the restore partition is just the same poo poo

is there a way that i can download a copy of win 8.1 (which i unironically kinda like) legally like from MS so i can have a clean install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

du -hast posted:

i have a legit srs question w.r.t this

i bought a leanovo (lol) laptop last november, and it has been v reliable and needs suiting fyi, but came witha bunch of preloaded shitt, which i got rid of most of

but it didnt come with a windows disk or anything, and the restore partition is just the same poo poo

is there a way that i can download a copy of win 8.1 (which i unironically kinda like) legally like from MS so i can have a clean install

yes

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

heh

how?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
look up

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

o heheh :2bong: :420: tyvm

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
You can download it here: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=915041082&mt=12&ls=1

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

i don't know what the gently caress is telling you to "find a retailer"

http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/latitude-laptops

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

this is a v funny link lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's two buttons, one says "find a reseller" the only other one says "view details"

you chose poorly

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
it is just a badly designed site because view details doesnt work either

or maybe Superfish hijacked my Lenovo to suit my adserved needs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at literally giving money to people that are actively installing security compromising adware on the product you're buying from them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

it is just a badly designed site because view details doesnt work either

or maybe Superfish hijacked my Lenovo to suit my adserved needs

it's an awful site design for sure, somehow the dell canada site is better presented and laid out. the trackpoint isn't listed as a feature, probably because the number of people who specifically care about a trackpoint approximately 0, but if you click on the image of any of the laptops the product page shows you a clear shot of the laptop and the trackpoint if the line comes with one

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

it's an awful site design for sure, somehow the dell canada site is better presented and laid out. the trackpoint isn't listed as a feature, probably because the number of people who specifically care about a trackpoint approximately 0, but if you click on the image of any of the laptops the product page shows you a clear shot of the laptop and the trackpoint if the line comes with one

remember when cable TV was first rolling out (if you'r;e old like me) one main draw was that it had no commercials; why would they need them anyway because you're paying for it?

it's kinda like that

thanx

when this t420 dies i'll be Getting A Dell (with trackpoint)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I can't believe after getting completely owned for a decade dell is still doing this

Latitude 13 7000 Series 2-in-1
Latitude 3330 Laptop
Latitude 13 Education Series
Latitude 3440
New Latitude 14 3000 Series (3450)
Latitude 3540
New Latitude 15 3000 Series (3550)
Latitude 6430u
Latitude 12 Rugged Extreme
Latitude 14 Rugged Extreme
New Latitude 12 5000 Series (E5250)
Latitude 14 5000 Series (E5440)
New Latitude 14 5000 Series (E5450)
Latitude E5540
New Latitude 15 5000 Series (E5550)
Latitude E6230
Latitude E6430 ATG
Latitude E6440
Latitude E6540
Latitude 12 7000 Series
New Latitude 12 7000 Series Ultrabook™ (E7250)
Latitude 14 7000 Series Ultrabook™ (E7440)
New Latitude 14 7000 Series Ultrabook™ (E7450)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they stripped out all of their customization options after they went private and retooled internally

then for some reason they replaced them with that

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

lol at literally giving money to people that are actively installing security compromising adware on the product you're buying from them

t series supremacy forever

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

I can't believe after getting completely owned for a decade dell is still doing this

Latitude 13 7000 Series 2-in-1
Latitude 3330 Laptop
Latitude 13 Education Series
Latitude 3440
New Latitude 14 3000 Series (3450)
Latitude 3540
New Latitude 15 3000 Series (3550)
Latitude 6430u
Latitude 12 Rugged Extreme
Latitude 14 Rugged Extreme
New Latitude 12 5000 Series (E5250)
Latitude 14 5000 Series (E5440)
New Latitude 14 5000 Series (E5450)
Latitude E5540
New Latitude 15 5000 Series (E5550)
Latitude E6230
Latitude E6430 ATG
Latitude E6440
Latitude E6540
Latitude 12 7000 Series
New Latitude 12 7000 Series Ultrabook™ (E7250)
Latitude 14 7000 Series Ultrabook™ (E7440)
New Latitude 14 7000 Series Ultrabook™ (E7450)

how many product managers have to ship

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
First I get a gen2 X1 Carbon right before they come out with a new rev that has a non-hosed keyboard, now this :(

Tough times for Apple haters these days

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

Tough times for Apple haters these days
dont worry im sure the relentless race to the bottom will make quality hardware a reality any day now

i mean its not like the commoditization of hardware necessary for low cost computers running indistinguishable software is a recipe for a market completely devoid of anything above the barest minimum of operational hardware coupled with massive incentives to subsidize the costs by any means necessary up to and including installing malware on the devices

i mean poo poo if that were the case the only sensible action would be eschew such a broken ecosystem by moving to another platform entirely

if only there was some company who wasnt selling the cheapest hardware possible but instead competed by offering good hardware and distinguished themselves from their competitors by developing better software. then they could wouldnt be constantly tempted to fill their computers with garbage paid for by malware companies and cover their equipment in stickers paid for by component manufacturers. i bet theyd sell fewer computers as they wouldnt be competing on price but i wonder how much money theyd make not relying on spyware for their profit margin?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

LastInLine posted:

dont worry im sure the relentless race to the bottom will make quality hardware a reality any day now

i mean its not like the commoditization of hardware necessary for low cost computers running indistinguishable software is a recipe for a market completely devoid of anything above the barest minimum of operational hardware coupled with massive incentives to subsidize the costs by any means necessary up to and including installing malware on the devices

i mean poo poo if that were the case the only sensible action would be eschew such a broken ecosystem by moving to another platform entirely

if only there was some company who wasnt selling the cheapest hardware possible but instead competed by offering good hardware and distinguished themselves from their competitors by developing better software. then they could wouldnt be constantly tempted to fill their computers with garbage paid for by malware companies and cover their equipment in stickers paid for by component manufacturers. i bet theyd sell fewer computers as they wouldnt be competing on price but i wonder how much money theyd make not relying on spyware for their profit margin?

im pretty sure the microsoft surface pro 3 is still in the hole but i think its a good idea regardless

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Bloody posted:

im pretty sure the microsoft surface pro 3 is still in the hole but i think its a good idea regardless

he said good hardware though

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bloody posted:

a yes the laptop unusable on a lap in a form factor wherein the top part is the heavy part with an os that had touch support tacked on in an unusable fashion for tablet use and with one of the worst trackpads and keyboards ever manufactured (even by windows standards) for kb/mouse use

truly the wave of the future and at only twice the price of a macbook air what a bargain

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

since when is a macbook air 400 dollars

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

the base surface 3 is like 700 and I don't think that includes the keyboard

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

a MacBook Air starts at 999

pram
Jun 10, 2001
uhh yeah its $700 if you want 64gb of storage which is half full from windows being installed

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
windows suxors on a lappy. its all about GNOME 3.@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

pram
Jun 10, 2001

AND its on sale :shepface:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

AND its on sale :shepface:

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

$1029 for a functional surface 'laptop replacement' bloody yr fuckin dumb

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bloody posted:

don't defend the surface

the build quality is good, the product itself is a pointless mess.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

my fave surface marketing thing is how they have no loving clue what they're trying to compete against

"it's got a usb port! its a real computer!" *costs 2x as much as an ipad*
"it's got a touchscreen AND a keyboard, that's much better than a laptop!" *still costs more than a base mba with keyboard*

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ms marketing... is bad

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

a touchscreen is nice on a laptop, but it is not nice enough to not get a macbook.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

uncurable mlady posted:

my fave surface marketing thing is how they have no loving clue what they're trying to compete against

"it's got a usb port! its a real computer!" *costs 2x as much as an ipad*
"it's got a touchscreen AND a keyboard, that's much better than a laptop!" *still costs more than a base mba with keyboard*

it is an uncompromising convergence platform delivering authentically digital experiences

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

it is an uncompromising convergence platform delivering authentically digital experiences

This.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the surface was built for windows 8 and windows 8 was built for the surface

it's an ouroboros of poo poo created to appeal to a customer that doesn't exist

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
lol @ spending $130 on a keyboard that doesnt even have mechanical switches

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

this is exactly it in re: the surface

the point still remains that every windows laptop manufacturer is selling to the same market and that market by the very nature of the consumer theyre selling to and the product theyre selling will only produce crap

its just inescapable regardless of whether you like windows or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

holy poo poo youre a loving retard. it appeals to Bloody. he posted it in this very thread. what the gently caress is wrong with you

• Locked thread