Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Why would I have a lovely "wiimote" peripheral for my nintendo wii-u console?

To play cool games like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Sin and Punishment, RE4 Wii edition, Duck Hunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I only ever played the first Prime and am looking forward to the other two. The motion controls have been hard to get used to though, possibly due to not finding a good position for the sensor bar, but probably also because despite not even having played the game in over a decade my fingers remember what they should be doing and where with the original controls, which messes things up with the new ones.

Teresa Heinz-Kirby
Jan 2, 2007

i was here first i had a reservation

chumbler posted:

I only ever played the first Prime and am looking forward to the other two. The motion controls have been hard to get used to though, possibly due to not finding a good position for the sensor bar, but probably also because despite not even having played the game in over a decade my fingers remember what they should be doing and where with the original controls, which messes things up with the new ones.

Metroid Prime is a great game, one of the best ever. Echoes is the worst game I've ever played, and Corruption is somehow even worse than Echoes.

And JFC, no one buy a Wii U for this game, or any other.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

fisheyel83l posted:

Metroid Prime is a great game, one of the best ever. Echoes is the worst game I've ever played, and Corruption is somehow even worse than Echoes.

I already bought a Wii U for Mario Galaxy 2 and This Trilogy so you can go right ahead and gently caress off.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

fisheyel83l posted:

One of these statements is correct

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Looper posted:

One of these statements is correct

It's Echoes, right? gently caress that final boss. And the ammunition. :negative:

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I've had the steel case for a few years now and I'm not crazy on spending 7.7 GB of space, but I would definitely re-buy this if I had an external drive.

Metroid Prime Trilogy for $10 is an incredible deal. Please buy this game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The issue is more that they didn't even bother to bung in the original controls when they originally ported it. Like they were afraid people wouldn't accept their useless stick unless given no other choice.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Maybe this will teach Nintendo that printing a total of 5 of any highly sought after product is a bad idea, especially when 4 of them just get bought up by scalpers.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Ularg posted:

Maybe this will teach Nintendo that printing a total of 5 of any highly sought after product is a bad idea, especially when 4 of them just get bought up by scalpers.

It's gonna teach them to sell the 5 highly sought after physical products at double the cost and call it a collectors edition then sell the game normally on the eshop.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Blister posted:

It's gonna teach them to sell the 5 highly sought after physical products at double the cost and call it a collectors edition then sell the game normally on the eshop.

I think that was Gamestops idea, Nintendo doesn't have that kind of foresight.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Everyone know the real reason to complain about the Wii controls in Trilogy is that it makes beams/visors more of a pain to swap between in 1 and 2 compared to the GC versions.

But it isn't THAT big of a deal. You get used to it after a while.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

chumbler posted:

Have you played around with the game's options? If you set the controls to "advanced" I feel like it's a lot easier to control than default, there's also a lot of in-game settings for the dead zone for your weapon movement and other stuff that, while subtle, might make it a lot easier to get used to the motion controls.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

How long is the download code valid for?

Like if I were a cheapskate and wanted to wait for a price cut on the console?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

fisheyel83l posted:

The difference between MP 1 and 2 is that 1 is possibly the best game of all time, while Echoes is just a really good game. The Dark World mechanic is slightly annoying at first but it weeds out huge stupid babies like yourself so that's a plus.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

illectro posted:

How long is the download code valid for?

Like if I were a cheapskate and wanted to wait for a price cut on the console?

I have no idea.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Have you played around with the game's options? If you set the controls to "advanced" I feel like it's a lot easier to control than default, there's also a lot of in-game settings for the dead zone for your weapon movement and other stuff that, while subtle, might make it a lot easier to get used to the motion controls.

Yeah switching to advanced did help a bit, but I'll have to dig around for that dead zone setting. I think that would probably help with not swaying all over like a drunk. Still not a fan of the visor and weapon selection though. Those buttons are just awkwardly placed.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
They are still easier to get to than the map button. I always hated how nunchuk using games put stuff on buttons 1 and 2. What were you supposed to do, push them with your palm?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

edgeman83 posted:

They are still easier to get to than the map button. I always hated how nunchuk using games put stuff on buttons 1 and 2. What were you supposed to do, push them with your palm?

Push them with the fingers on the nunchuck's hand?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fisheyel83l posted:

either ur trolling or u should kill yourself

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

edgeman83 posted:

haha what?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I really liked MP:2 a lot, maybe more than the first. Ammunition management is super easy, since killing enemies with the opposite weapon makes them drop the ammo you need. Once you get the light suit, the game is pro. The only issue is that it doubles down on the backtracking.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

"Samus I'm authorizing you to buy this Trilogy without getting ripped off."

I knew I could just run the ISO in the virtual Wii and still have reduced load times. It didn't matter though, Adam had authorized it. I basically stopped thinking for myself and fed my credit card info into the eShop.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bought this last night and had to go find myself a nunchuk. I've never played any of these before but a lot of you seem to think at least the first game is one of the all-time greatest, so it should be worth my time. I don't miss pointing at stuff with a Wiimote, but I feel like I'm getting used to the controls at least. I just got off the space station and landed on the planet. Anything I should know?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

marauderthirty posted:

Bought this last night and had to go find myself a nunchuk. I've never played any of these before but a lot of you seem to think at least the first game is one of the all-time greatest, so it should be worth my time. I don't miss pointing at stuff with a Wiimote, but I feel like I'm getting used to the controls at least. I just got off the space station and landed on the planet. Anything I should know?

I think for the most part, the Metroid Prime series are great in that if you miss an item, you can always go back and get it later. Some scans, however, are missable (which all of them are on the frigate, so if you missed those, oops).

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
That sort of stuff falls under the completionist category anyway, doesn't it? If so, no worries. :)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

seiferguy posted:

I think for the most part, the Metroid Prime series are great in that if you miss an item, you can always go back and get it later. Some scans, however, are missable (which all of them are on the frigate, so if you missed those, oops).

Thankfully now if you go through the game again it retains your logbook from the previous playthrough so you can just add stuff you missed rather than having to do the entire game over and get every scan again because you missed the Ice Shriek Bats :v:

Adam Bowen posted:

The difference between MP 1 and 2 is that 1 is possibly the best game of all time, while Echoes is just a really good game. The Dark World mechanic is slightly annoying at first but it weeds out huge stupid babies like yourself so that's a plus.

I feel dirty for agreeing with Adam Bowen but this is pretty much on the nose.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

edgeman83 posted:

U-use your thumb?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Regy Rusty posted:

U-use your thumb?

Maybe he's got some kind of baby hand and his thumb can't stretch 2 or 3 inches down? I can't think of any other explanation.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So I was getting sushi from the student union and when the guy asked me what I wanted on it I meant to say salmon but I said Samus and he started laughing I’m so embarassed

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is this the first example of a gamer consistently holding a controller wrong?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Is this the first example of a gamer consistently holding a controller wrong?

Adam Bowen posted:

Maybe he's got some kind of baby hand and his thumb can't stretch 2 or 3 inches down? I can't think of any other explanation.

He has a point. It's awkward as hell to go from the comfortable normal position pictured here to pressing 1 or 2 with your right thumb. You have to kind of toss the controller higher in your hand or use your other hand to press the buttons. I have giant man hands with flexible fingers and it's never exactly comfortable or intuitive. It's just always for poo poo like opening the map so it's fine. If you had to use it in combat it would be another story.

The left index finger is the easiest thing to press 1 and 2 with here.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

fisheyel83l posted:

Fly away troll

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I will brutally murder anyone who genuinely dislikes the wii u or metroid as a series in this thread using the saw from payday 2 slowly.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Prime 1 was a pretty cool game... back in 2002. Prime 3 was fun because of the motion controls, but the last 1/4 of the game was backtracking through the entire game to find collectables to unlock the final boss. Also the parts where it tries to be a pseudo Halo game were baaaaaaaaaaaad. Metroid shouldn't have NPC charactes. Period. Prime 2 was so loving boring I couldn't play more than 2 hours of it. I watched slowbeef's let's play of it and it looks like all I missed was a lovely brown and purple slog of a loving game. Glad I skipped it. Although the tron/cyberpunk area was really neat but its way too far into the game.

I respect the games, even though they aren't really my favorites. Especially after Other M ruined the series reputation. gently caress.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Actually most games today are garbage compared to any on the metroid prime games so please shut the gently caress up you retard.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ausmund posted:

I watched slowbeef's let's play of it

Lol

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Got the trilogy Wii disc on my shelf, but sure I'll spend more money.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ausmund posted:

Prime 1 was a pretty cool game... back in 2002. Prime 3 was fun because of the motion controls, but the last 1/4 of the game was backtracking through the entire game to find collectables to unlock the final boss. Also the parts where it tries to be a pseudo Halo game were baaaaaaaaaaaad. Metroid shouldn't have NPC charactes. Period. Prime 2 was so loving boring I couldn't play more than 2 hours of it. I watched slowbeef's let's play of it and it looks like all I missed was a lovely brown and purple slog of a loving game. Glad I skipped it. Although the tron/cyberpunk area was really neat but its way too far into the game.

I respect the games, even though they aren't really my favorites. Especially after Other M ruined the series reputation. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

• Locked thread