Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Steve2911 posted:

Still terrible and I'm still never going to subject myself to the Wiimote again. The trilogy deserves the same treatment Wind Waker got.

Hell yeah crazy blinding bloom all over Dark Aether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

chumbler posted:

I only ever played the first Prime and am looking forward to the other two. The motion controls have been hard to get used to though, possibly due to not finding a good position for the sensor bar, but probably also because despite not even having played the game in over a decade my fingers remember what they should be doing and where with the original controls, which messes things up with the new ones.

Have you played around with the game's options? If you set the controls to "advanced" I feel like it's a lot easier to control than default, there's also a lot of in-game settings for the dead zone for your weapon movement and other stuff that, while subtle, might make it a lot easier to get used to the motion controls.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

True, I like it a lot more than 2. 3 was originally going to be a more free form game based on bounty hunting where samus would accept contracts and fly to a selection of planets but the project was scaled back or something, so they crammed a Prime 1 style into their existing work halfway through development. That could have been a really cool game in its own right, but the bastardized version that came out is neat and has some important improvements on the Prime game play (control scheme improvement, fixing the end game key hunting, going back to the Super style of beam upgrades, and having the option to mark upgrade locations on your map were all great choices IMO).

The literal reason it got scaled back is that Sakamoto said he didn't picture Samus as someone who would do mercenary like jobs for money because he and Nintendo collectively did not know the meaning of the term bounty hunter. Japanese video games and manga do this thing where like, they have all these setting specific terms for people who are mercenaries or bounty hunters, but uh, I guess they're good guys so they actually just bum around instead? Geo Hound, Hunter Warrior, Buster, etc.

Prime 2's original concept was kind of crazy. It was going to be similar to System Shock 2. The whole game would be on a huge space station run by four different AIs competing for power and for your support in stuff. Though they may have axed it just because it would have been a bit similar to the relatively recent Metroid Fusion. But then Sakamoto went with a space station anyway with Other M.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kirios posted:

Cowboy Bebop?

No way man he watches "BIG SHOT! THE SHOW FOR BOUNTY HUNTERS!" :D

That reminds of Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman though which I think must have partially influenced the tv show within the show.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kirios posted:

Dude how the gently caress do you call yourself an anime fan if you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop dubbed?!

I thought that was a requirement.

I never saw the movie but I watched the show itself when it was new, but that was from what like 98 to 2000? Fifteen years is a long time man. :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Looper posted:

The actual design document is crazy ambitious and probably wouldn't have turned out all that well

As we know from Other M also being on a space station. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Imagine a whole first page of stickied metroid topics

Can we at least get this in Imp Zone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That's just "Rare's humor and charm" :laffo: I still can't believe Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Perfect Dark Zero are real games that were released.

• Locked thread