Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Adam Bowen posted:

How could anyone be down on DKCR? It's not Metroid Prime quality but it's really good, good enough that going back and playing the original DKC games is kind of disappointing now.

It's good its just not what people wanted Retro to be doing. They wanted them to update a nintendo franchise again like the did with Metroid or make another Prime. Also don't forget the DKC:R for the wii had loving motion controls in a precision platformer it was later fixed in the 3ds port but damage done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Wootman posted:

i thought DKC:R was perfect i don't know anyone that complained about it

Literally every review said something along the lines of

Brad Shoemaker posted:

if you're yearning for solid, demanding 2D platforming and can look past some slightly misplaced motion controls

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Which is exactly what they did, with Donkey Kong Country Returns.
How is making the exact same game reinvigorating a series? Note: I love the poo poo out of DKC:R3D and DKC:TF but gently caress I wish they used that talent for something else.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

We hadn't had an actual proper DKC game since DKC 3 and that was a whole two console generations ago. DK64 was kind of a mixed bag and DK hadn't helmed his own game in awhile. Retro took all the existing elements Rare had left behind, tossed what they didn't want, and rebuilt the game. It's the same basic concept, but the game plays quite different from the SNES DK games. The changes are all good, more or less, and the difficulty and quality of platforming is better than ever. In fact, I'd argue that both of the Retro DK games are actually better than the Rare ones in almost every regard.

It breathed new life into the franchise, and now we can expect to see more Donkey Kong games in the pipeline, even if Retro won't be attached to them.

Yeah I just will still never forgive them for shaking for rolling damnit that game looked so good for a wii game. Those shadow levels are still loving gorgeous.

• Locked thread