Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I owned a solar powered citizen watch, an "eco drive"

it has been sitting in my closet for the past couple of years and appears to have died, but its pretty stylish i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

I owned a solar powered citizen watch, an "eco drive"

it has been sitting in my closet for the past couple of years and appears to have died, but its pretty stylish i guess.

if you leave it in the sun for a long time it will probably come back to life

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i have a watch.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i just look at the upper right corner if i want to know what time it is. i'm always looking at a (mac) screen, so i find this to be an extremely convenient way to tell the time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i look at the angle of the sun and estimate how much time i have before it gets dark, as god intended

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i will have a watch when the apple watch is released

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sagebrush posted:

i look at the angle of the sun and estimate how much time i have before it gets dark, as god intended

my dad does this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

you'll have a POS

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

pram posted:

me too, but i don't expect i'll buy one

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
remember when digital wrist watches could last months without changing the batteries like 30 years ago?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have a casio "lineage multi-band 6 tough mvt" thing op

also i have a tough mvt coming on

pram
Jun 10, 2001

infernal machines posted:

you'll have a POS

it wont be a pos

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
it will be THE smart watch that will actually sell

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
sorry i just felt like posting about my bowels

a poo poo post, if you will

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

it will be THE smart watch that will actually sell

and it'll still be a pos because smart watches are the dumbest concept since the pet rock

it will sell well and still be loving useless beyond belief

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it might shift a paradigm or two

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

and it'll still be a pos because smart watches are the dumbest concept since the pet rock

it will sell well and still be loving useless beyond belief

conceptually it's not the dumbest idea. it would be nice to get notifications that you can glance at your arm to see instead of pulling out your phone

it will make more sense if the price goes down and has a long battery life

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

conceptually it's not the dumbest idea. it would be nice to get notifications that you can glance at your arm to see instead of pulling out your phone

by that definition conceptually google glass is an even better idea and apple should be doing that

it's right there in your field of vision, and people already wear glasses right?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

the technology to make it a viable product is not there yet. steve would have seen this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

the technology to make it a viable product is not there yet. steve would have seen this

even with magic batteries it would still be stupid to put an interactive touch interface in something the size of a watch

i get that nerds still have dick tracy/secret agent fantasies, but no one is going to think you're cool just because you're pawing at a tiny screen on your wrist.

your phone is a whole six inches further in your pocket, if you have the time to gently caress with your watch you have the time to just look at your phone

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

by that definition conceptually google glass is an even better idea and apple should be doing that

it's right there in your field of vision, and people already wear glasses right?

no totally different. google glass makes you look like an rear end in a top hat, and the people around them constantly feel threatened and want to beat the poo poo out of them. apple would never perform such hideous experiments on their customers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

it would be nice to get notifications that you can glance at your arm to see instead of pulling out your phone

why? what's the intended use scenario where pulling out your phone is a problem but you still absolutely need that notification right away?

a friend of mine works in a lab doing research on virtual worlds and poo poo and they're finding stuff like google glass to be extremely useful for very pecific situations. example: an airplane maintenance worker needs to fix something inside the wing of the plane. he crawls down a tiny tunnel on his face to get to the access point. now he has no way of pulling out a checklist or a manual. a head-mounted display with gestural control is perfect for him.

google is ignoring this actually valuable market entirely because it doesn't give them any useful information they could sell ads with

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

even with magic batteries it would still be stupid to put an interactive touch interface in something the size of a watch

but.. but they reinvented the touch interface so it work on something the size of a watch

i get that nerds still have dick tracy/secret agent fantasies, but no one is going to think you're cool just because you're pawing at a tiny screen on your wrist.

yes they are.

your phone is a whole six inches further in your pocket, if you have the time to gently caress with your watch you have the time to just look at your phone

no you don't

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also fyi the only reason that dick tracy has a radio watch is because it was the only paradigm people in the 30s had for a piece of small portable technology. it's not because chester gould determined that the best place for a portable communicator was on your wrist. if dick tracy had talked into his cigarette case instead maybe we wouldn't have this loving problem today

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

why? what's the intended use scenario where pulling out your phone is a problem but you still absolutely need that notification right away?

there isn't one, it's entirely contrived by idiots who found a new thing to lust after

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

the old ipod nano that was stupidly put into watch cases worked and sold pretty well, it's not really the touch screen i'm concerned with really. i do agree with you though, the entire reason i have a watch is so that i can glance at my wrist for about a second to see what time it is. having to turn on a display that might or might not be visible depending on the ambient light level is absolutely retarded and thats ignoring if the thing even works because of the atrocious battery life

a color e-ink display would go a long way to alleviating that concern but i dont know of anything that has something like that

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sagebrush posted:

a friend of mine works in a lab doing research on virtual worlds and poo poo and they're finding stuff like google glass to be extremely useful for very pecific situations. example: an airplane maintenance worker needs to fix something inside the wing of the plane. he crawls down a tiny tunnel on his face to get to the access point. now he has no way of pulling out a checklist or a manual. a head-mounted display with gestural control is perfect for him.

lol if the worker's doing gestures with their hand on google glass, then they could also look at their wrist

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Beeftweeter posted:

a color e-ink display would go a long way to alleviating that concern but i dont know of anything that has something like that

i think apple should have gone this direction, even if it was black and white, but obviously it wouldn't have been nearly as attractive to customers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

the old ipod nano that was stupidly put into watch cases worked and sold pretty well, it's not really the touch screen i'm concerned with really. i do agree with you though, the entire reason i have a watch is so that i can glance at my wrist for about a second to see what time it is. having to turn on a display that might or might not be visible depending on the ambient light level is absolutely retarded and thats ignoring if the thing even works because of the atrocious battery life

yes, it's a functionally bad watch too. so it's a pointless product that can't actually do the one thing that someone might realistically use it for.

but that sick white band and rosegold body will let everyone know how committed to the apple brand you are

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i think apple should have gone this direction, even if it was black and white, but obviously it wouldn't have been nearly as attractive to customers

even if it did have one it still has to be tethered to an iphone so you're still also relying on that battery. its just an all around stupid idea

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

lol if the worker's doing gestures with their hand on google glass, then they could also look at their wrist

1. google glass has accelerometer control so you can shake your head to flip pages in a manual, the point is to be entirely hands-free so that you can use both your hands on a rivet gun and bucking bar or w/e

2. the whole point of what i said was that yes, wearable computers make sense in situations where you literally cannot use a real computer because the tradeoffs are worth it. shitloads of factory/maintenance/whatever workers have been strapping palm pilots to their arms for decades. yet the average civilian walking around their office doesn't. why?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
huh according to wikipedia there are color e-ink displays but they are only 4096 colors

which still should be enough for a loving watch

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

there isn't one, it's entirely contrived by idiots who found a new thing to lust after

Better that than boobs, which are just mounds of fat, which isn't even that sexy of a concept? I'm above such things. I program computers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

yet the average civilian walking around their office doesn't. why?

completely disregarding that you look like a complete doofus rear end in a top hat while wearing one its a pretty big security risk. some places i've worked at didn't even allow dumphones with cameras

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't believe you would need anything more than black and white (or maybe like 4-bit grayscale) and a bright red to make a good watch display. you're not showing photos on a 1" screen. you want to convey information quickly and unambiguously with maximum readability. black, white and red, high contrast and bold. this is like remedial-level user interface design.

if it worked for the nazis, it can work for a smart watch

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 31, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

emoji posted:

Better that than boobs, which are just mounds of fat, which isn't even that sexy of a concept? I'm above such things. I program computers

this is pretty dumb, even for you

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

emoji posted:

i think the iboob could be a very successful product

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i have a pebble that i never use. it was fun for awhile to learn the api, but there just wasnt much point to janitoring it constantly when i have a bunch of automatic watches that will run forever

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

this is pretty dumb, even for you

And now back to your regularly scheduled complaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i don't think i'd want an apple watch, because everyone will have an apple watch

• Locked thread