Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Meis posted:

this game is loving great

i wonder what the consequences of watering my plant will be

I unironically REALLY REALLY want to know what watering my loving plant is going to have an effect on later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

If you don't it dies and you don't notice until like a week later when it's completely wilted and you feel slightly depressed because man, that was a nice plant.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

If the plant dies, your mom makes a passive aggressive comment about your maturity during parents' weekend. Man the guilt you'll feel.

Also I absolutely adore this game. I preordered it the moment I could, having loved Remember Me and generally anything that involves school drama, and it totally is worth it. I'm very curious to see where the story ends up going as the first episode establishes so many subplots already.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

What a fantastic start, this game was a pleasant surprise. It looked interesting from the previews but I wasn't sure what to expect. Great idea letting people try out the first one for $5, I'm hooked now.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's so weird I thought I was I liked explored everything possible and it's like I missed big scenes like
This is definitely the kind of game that rewards poking around and checking out everything, which I love. I put about 5 hours into the first episode. That's what Telltale's been slipping on, as much as I like most of their games.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So if you can keep your inventory when rewinding time (i.e. the hammer in the bathroom) why can I not take a photo of David yelling at Kate, rewind, and then intervene while still keeping the photo?
My immersion, it's ruined!

Edit: Oh poo poo, a Cannibal Holocaust reference! This game just got an extra 100 points in my book :allears:

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 2, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So if you can keep your inventory when rewinding time (i.e. the hammer in the bathroom) why can I not take a photo of David yelling at Kate, rewind, and then intervene while still keeping the photo?

I thought the same thing!

Also the snakes n cakes spoiler was always gonna be a choice. I mean the game all but states outright that Chloe and Rachel were more than just friends.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

That one annoyed me because it's basically the writers forgetting their own rules for the sake of having a choice. Especially considering that the whole reason that Max loves analogue Cameras so much is so that she has an excuse for thinking of being able to take photos of the future, keep the physical photo and then rewind

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Edit: Oh poo poo, a Cannibal Holocaust reference! This game just got an extra 100 points in my book :allears:

I appreciated that the game let you be super grossed out by Cannibal Holocaust and/or that somebody was suggesting your character would like to watch Cannibal Holocaust. :v:

Caros
May 14, 2008

precision posted:

I thought the same thing!

Also the snakes n cakes spoiler was always gonna be a choice. I mean the game all but states outright that Chloe and Rachel were more than just friends.

You do realize that this pretty much spoils the spoiler by virtue of making it pretty obvious what is under it right?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

How does the photograph mechanic work? I don't want to replay incase it would mess up what I set up for Episode 2. Like I'm thinking it's some kind of collectible system like looking at the menu there are 8 hidden pictures you can take in Episode 1 and I got like ..some.

Remember specifically the desk graffiti at the very beginning. I was going crazy chasing squirrels hoping one of them would be a photo op

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Yeah, apparently I missed a whole bunch of photos, even though I thought I was being pretty thorough looking at everything and talking to everyone possible.

I also didn't save the bird :smith:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Great game, finally people are starting to rip off Telltale and it's pretty much the best thing! Honestly I was hoping that Telltale's Game of Thrones would finally be the game to convince me to get into that franchise but nope it was just as dull as anything I actually watched from the show. Super happy to have something to make up for it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
All photos in this chapter if you want them. You can replay chapters in "collectible mode," which lets you pick up things you missed without messing up your story progression.

Graffiti on a desk in the classroom at the beginning of the game.
The statue on the fountain outside. This one's easy to miss, because the prompt is way up high on its face.
Talk to the skaters and earn their trust, then ask to see a "tre flip." Then take a picture of the skater writhing in pain.
Outside of the dorm area, take a picture of the squirrel playing with a soda can near a tree.
Take a picture of the mirror in your room.
While in Victoria's room, rearrange her photos and then take a picture of it. You can undo it afterwards if you're trying to be nice to her.
After you leave the dorms, once you've warned Alyssa about the football, take a picture of the window it broke.
In the parking lot, draw on the RV window and then take a picture.
Just behind you at the lighthouse park at the end, take a picture of the bird on the rock.
Before talking to Chloe at the lighthouse, take a picture of her from behind.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also if you check out the photos section you get a sketch of each one so you know vaguely what you're looking for, I grabbed all but one first time through.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the only one I missed was the skater picture somehow.

I was disappointed there didn't seem to be any information to see from piloting the drone. I must have let it circle around three times looking for an Easter egg of some sort.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPQxtJ_yJjk

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Max, you can't do that! That'll create a time paradox!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

I can't believe that's as long as it is. The rear end close-up was appreciated.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Finished the first episode, really liked it! I missed the squirrel and the skateboard photo, but I'll probably go hunt those down at some point before the next episode comes out. I definitely agree with the Rachel has time travel theory, but I guess we'll have to see how things play out over the next few episodes. Definitely worth the five bucks, and it sold me the season pass so great job Dontnod.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Artix posted:

Finished the first episode, really liked it! I missed the squirrel and the skateboard photo, but I'll probably go hunt those down at some point before the next episode comes out. I definitely agree with the Rachel has time travel theory, but I guess we'll have to see how things play out over the next few episodes. Definitely worth the five bucks, and it sold me the season pass so great job Dontnod.

I'll honestly be disappointed if that spoiler ends up being true though. I mean, the one thing that makes Max special, and someone else did it first? Hipster time traveler. Seriously though, what if all the members of the Vortex Club have the power???

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

precision posted:

I'll honestly be disappointed if that spoiler ends up being true though. I mean, the one thing that makes Max special, and someone else did it first? Hipster time traveler. Seriously though, what if all the members of the Vortex Club have the power???

Then wouldn't Victoria have them? So she probably wouldn't get paint on herself

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Then wouldn't Victoria have them? So she probably wouldn't get paint on herself

She's the exception, and hence why she hates Rachel. :ms:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Gave episode 1 a crack. It came on a bit strong with the janky 'hip' poo poo at times, but I thought it was actually pretty drat great overall. I'm definitely invested.

precision posted:

It wouldn't surprise me, considering the UI icon for rewinding time is literally a lovely version of their logo.

:lol:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

precision posted:

Dumb theory I'm semi-developing: Max and Rachel are one and the same person, or they have some sort of weird reincarnated soul bullshit going on. After Max leaves, Chloe befriends Rachel. Rachel, with her time traveling abilities, ingratiates herself with the student body (much like Max has the capability of doing). Rachel suddenly goes missing, then Max returns after five years of zero contact with Chloe for reasons that she can't properly answer for sure.

Like I said its dumb (especially since everything I've mentioned about Max is backed up by proof proving me wrong), but the only thing I can say that's concrete is there's clearly a connection between Max and Rachel that's a little bit beyond that they both have time travel powers.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

precision posted:

Unlikely, because then crazy rapey preppy guy would have rewound to avoid accidentally killing Chloe. The vortex club was supposedly founded by social outcasts back in the late 80s/early 90s, so it might be possible the founder could rewind as well. E: Come to think of it, he also could have rewound when she woke up from the roofies.

Regarding Rachel: If Rachel had powers, maybe she 'disappeared' because she figured out a way to travel forward permanently? [spoiler] I'm thinking that Max's 'visions'[spoiler] are actually her 'fast forwarding' involuntarily. She doesn't disappear or seem to pass out because the moment she jumps forward is the same moment she returns to when the 'vision' ends.

Maybe we should have a rule for spoilers only on the latest episode because otherwise this thread is going to start looking like a CIA document.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

According to Chloe, Rachel met someone special and left with this person. Do we think Max can travel far enough back in time to have interacted with Rachel and be that special person? It seems if she tries to go back more than a few minutes the screen turns all bloody so the power must be limited. I agree that Rachel and Max are connected in some way, but I'm not sure what exactly is going on. Are they the same person? We know that Max left, vaguely, for Seattle for some reason and at the same time Rachel showed up. Then Rachel left with this mysterious person and Max came back shortly after. Maybe Rachel is future Max? No idea how that would work.

About the tornado, Max sees. I got the impression that it's metaphorical for the Vortex Club more than an actual looming threat in itself.

Regarding the Vortex Club, I really don't think they have time travel powers. If they did, they would have fixed so many things. I think again their club name is meant to allude to the fact that they're a destructive force that is hurting the town. Nathan Prescott was talking about blowing up the school in the bathroom right? I could see him trying some kind of school shooting situation happening.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

This makes me so happy.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So if Max travels back in time while not changing her position wouldn't other people notice? Like "hey, a split second ago Max was over by football douchebag but I blinked and now she's in front of me telling me to duck?"

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Here's the soundtrack from the game, if you use Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/user/officiallifeisstrange/playlist/1f5ZzLDTXHTDR8CYIEddpW

I didn't realize I liked the genre so much, I'm getting my indie on right now

Current mood: hella hipster bro

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Here's the soundtrack from the game, if you use Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/user/officiallifeisstrange/playlist/1f5ZzLDTXHTDR8CYIEddpW

Yeah it's a great soundtrack. Game also made me want a Polaroid camera desperately.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really liked this game and I can see how a lot of people will hella hate it.

I'm really curious to see what kind of consequences all the "this action will have lasting consequences" choices actually end up having. I have high hopes but I'm bracing for disappointment.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Entropic posted:

I really liked this game and I can see how a lot of people will hella hate it.

I'm really curious to see what kind of consequences all the "this action will have lasting consequences" choices actually end up having. I have high hopes but I'm bracing for disappointment.

You need to have watered the plant to unlock the good ending.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yea Sparkle Horse owns and they're not really hipster unless using the definition of hipster that means "over 30 and not into U2"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I didn't even realize til I looked it up that PJ Harvey is on that Sparklehorse song :rock:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eagerly awaiting the angry fat gamer dudes ranting on YouTube about how this game sucks. :allears:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rosalind posted:

Yeah it's a great soundtrack. Game also made me want a Polaroid camera desperately.
I must admit it strains my suspension of disbelief slightly that a photography student in 2015 only uses a polaroid and doesn't have a DSLR. But the game kind of depends on you having photos printed right away that you can show to people, so whatever.

precision posted:

Eagerly awaiting the angry fat gamer dudes ranting on YouTube about how this game sucks. :allears:

WTF I finished this "game" in under an hour if you don't count all the unskippable cutscenes, I demand more value for my gaming dollar, I mean have these french losers even heard of counterstrike?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

precision posted:

Let's see what Gamergaters and generally probably angry white dudes are saying about this game! Here are a bunch of posts from various places on Reddit.

What about my animes :cry:

quote:

I find it 1000 times more funny, that "life is strange" get good scores compared to many Visual Novels from Japan. Because "Life is Strange" is nothing else than an animated VN, like the VNs from Telltale.

This game sucks. Take it from a man who starts sentences with "lols."

quote:

lols if they are comparing it to "Gone Home" then it sucks.

And I've saved the best for last!

quote:

played the first episode of life is strange
it feels like ever dude is an rear end in a top hat to point of being a phsyco sometimes (except for the one white knight) while all the girls seem like they come straight out of tumblr (except for that one bully). they are all awkward hipsters and the whole selling point of sudden time travel powers hasnt really done much for the story so far. its mostly just "go back to last decision and here the other choice out before deciding what you actually want, making the whole decision based point and click walking deadisk nature of it easier and less tence.
probably not going to pick up episode 2
btw i know only faggots believe in the friendzome, but you are totally friendzoning that guy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mmm yes Max is "friendzoning" Warren, clearly there is no such thing as a girl with low self esteem who doesn't recognize when a guy is into her.

Besides the drone pilot girl totally wants to jump Warren's bones anyway, he needs to get on that.

"Watched Scott Pilgrim.... for the millionth time". Max has good taste. XD

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Max is into :allears: skate boys :allears: anyway, you were done before you began WARREN :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Maybe Max left because Chloe was in love with Max, but Max couldn't reciprocate those feelings. That would explain why Max seems so tentative about talking to Chloe when she finds the photo of her and Chloe in her dorm. Based on her room and her behavior, I think Chloe is pretty obviously gay, but who knows about Max or Rachel at this point?

• Locked thread