Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geforce
Nov 19, 2014

You may be cooler than me IRL, but I have crippling anxietyTM
:parrot:
haven't read the whole thread, but one thing that struck me in this game is the camera shots. The scenes are pretty nice and so are the angles. I took a few screenshots in Episode 1: http://imgur.com/a/Bifxs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

geforce posted:

haven't read the whole thread, but one thing that struck me in this game is the camera shots. The scenes are pretty nice and so are the angles. I took a few screenshots in Episode 1: http://imgur.com/a/Bifxs

yeah, you don't really wanna make your main character a photographer without having at least some skill in cinematography.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

geforce posted:

ahhh I love the snow falling sequence. So cool

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

sout posted:

yeah, you don't really wanna make your main character a photographer without having at least some skill in cinematography.

And yet all her pictures suck.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

seravid posted:

And yet all her pictures suck.

:shrug:
yeah wasn't the winning picture the one she took of her looking at her wall? surely she had some better ones than that

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

sout posted:

:shrug:
yeah wasn't the winning picture the one she took of her looking at her wall? surely she had some better ones than that

It's not just a picture of her. She's looking at the wall of photos she's taken, and the focus (ignoring how she did this on a Polaroid camera) is on the wall, not herself, so it's a statement about how the heroes are the people she takes pictures of, and she's (figuratively and literally) not the focus of the moment.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

I'm sure most of you have already watched Stranger Things on Netflix but it hits all those same notes of "teenagers with super powers search for missing friend in a weird town with a dark history." I haven't been this into a series since, well, Life is Strange.

Similarly, Oxenfree feels like it hits a lot of similar notes as far as "teenagers having a coming of age story when weird poo poo goes down".

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Similarly, Oxenfree feels like it hits a lot of similar notes as far as "teenagers having a coming of age story when weird poo poo goes down".

I enjoyed Oxenfree for a lot of the same reasons. teens being teens, a creepy story, and some top-notch voice acting.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

We're sort of in a new golden age of small town teens vs. supernatural weirdness and I'm loving it. Persona 4 nailed the tone better than anything else in that series, Oxenfree and especially Life is Strange made it far more personal and affecting, and now Stranger Things. I can't wait to see what's next.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
We just had a tornado hit a small coastal town here in Oregon and nobody was killed or even injured. No word yet on if any teenage girls were seen riding into the sunset.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

morallyobjected posted:

I enjoyed Oxenfree for a lot of the same reasons. teens being teens, a creepy story, and some top-notch voice acting.

Huh. I thought the voice acting and dialogue were the absolute worst things about the game. I finished it (with a pretty bad ending) but really had to push through because of the voice acting. Every line by every character, especially the best friend guy, was delivered with such a "aren't I clever / witty" tone. Every line felt like it was said in a vacuum, never in dialogue with another person.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

morallyobjected posted:

Ehhhh, Oxenfree felt incoherent and unsatisfying compared to this

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 17, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Delsaber posted:

We're sort of in a new golden age of small town teens vs. supernatural weirdness and I'm loving it. Persona 4 nailed the tone better than anything else in that series, Oxenfree and especially Life is Strange made it far more personal and affecting, and now Stranger Things. I can't wait to see what's next.

An Eerie, Indiana reboot? :v:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jackard posted:

Ehhhh, Oxenfree felt incoherent and unsatisfying compared to this

Life is Strange has more time to earn it compared to Oxenfree, but there are a lot of moments in Life is Strange, for as much as I like it, that are strung together by floss, story-wise, or that play awkwardly because you can clearly tell they're just listing off things in a logic tree based on flags you've tripped.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

We just had a tornado hit a small coastal town here in Oregon and nobody was killed or even injured. No word yet on if any teenage girls were seen riding into the sunset.

Trivia: the tornado struck not that far from where the coordinates of the game placed Arcadia Bay (which I think is basically modeled on Garibaldi.)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Trivia: the tornado struck not that far from where the coordinates of the game placed Arcadia Bay (which I think is basically modeled on Garibaldi.)

given that, it's probably safe to assume that Arcadia Bay, like Manzanita, got off with just property damage and power outages.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Delsaber posted:

We're sort of in a new golden age of small town teens vs. supernatural weirdness and I'm loving it.

The new season of Twin Peaks should be out next year, too.

geforce
Nov 19, 2014

You may be cooler than me IRL, but I have crippling anxietyTM
:parrot:
Anybody got cool LiS or LiS-related animations?

There's this: http://youngechosugar.tumblr.com/

And this: http://tddkart.tumblr.com/post/138596973716/life-is-strange-rendered-in-source-filmmaker-here

But I haven't found much more.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Just finished this, not sure why I didn't do it sooner.

Episode 5 felt like they were rushing to the finish line, like they realised they'd run out of script pages, but I loved the nightmare sequence. Overall, I was very impressed. But it sucked how the whole game was building to the sacrifice Chloe ending to the extent that it feels like a bit of a fake choice to make the kayfabe of it all work. It also felt weird that the storm was apparently tied to Max's use of her power and not, say, Chloe existing.

It's definitely more the journey than the ending sort of thing, and the journey was great. The ending was a bit rough, and it almost felt like the game was setting up something different (that people like Jefferson and Nathan's dad knew about the weirdness) and left a lot of plot threads dangling in the wind, but I feel satisfied.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 29, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Oh, and I thought all the characters were developed really well, including Madsen and Nathan. About the only character who felt one-dimensional was Jefferson. Before playing the game, people told me that Warren was super creepy but I didn't really see it? I mean, he obviously liked Max a lot in that teen crush way, but he never seemed to be a jerk or a creep about it.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
There's a part in Episode 2 where Warren can be seen looking in Max' window, and in general he gives off a very proto-Nice Guy vibe that people who have experience dealing with Nice Guys are sensitive to. I stop short of calling him creepy myself, but I do find myself a bit unnerved by him.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Milky Moor posted:

Oh, and I thought all the characters were developed really well, including Madsen and Nathan. About the only character who felt one-dimensional was Jefferson. Before playing the game, people told me that Warren was super creepy but I didn't really see it? I mean, he obviously liked Max a lot in that teen crush way, but he never seemed to be a jerk or a creep about it.

drat, I just played this last weekend and I'm still thinking about it. I was crafting a longer post, but you've pretty much hit all the same points I was making. Definitely agree that the game pushed for sacrificing Chloe. I'm pretty sure that in the “gently caress fate” option Max's head explodes shortly after they drive off into the sunset… or everyone's does because Earth spins out of orbit. Plus, the whole William plot showed us we would eventually end up needing to do.. I also saw nothing wrong with Warren - he was a goofball, but seemed genuine.

Though it's a bit of a mindfuck wondering how Max ended up at the lighthouse in the first place. Had she already tried an alternate timeline and just come back? Is she in some infinite loop where either end deposits her back back at the beginning? Or is it some meta thing for the player, restarting the game in their own attempt to try to change the outcome?

Really enjoyed it.

E:^^^^ ehhhhh, you couldn't see in the windows though? I just interpreted that as him gathering the courage to ask her out.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

cocoavalley posted:

Though it's a bit of a mindfuck wondering how Max ended up at the lighthouse in the first place. Had she already tried an alternate timeline and just come back? Is she in some infinite loop where either end deposits her back back at the beginning? Or is it some meta thing for the player, restarting the game in their own attempt to try to change the outcome?

I'm pretty sure it's implied that this is not her first time through the time loop.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Plom Bar posted:

There's a part in Episode 2 where Warren can be seen looking in Max' window, and in general he gives off a very proto-Nice Guy vibe that people who have experience dealing with Nice Guys are sensitive to. I stop short of calling him creepy myself, but I do find myself a bit unnerved by him.

Warren is the devs Gary Stu

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Plom Bar posted:

I think a part of it is, the game keeps it's options open so if you choose to reject Warren, you have to do it repeatedly and it can wear a little thin. Especially when he actually brings up being "friend zoned" to your face. Even when there's another character actively pursuing him and you just want him to notice her and leave you alone you still have to push him away.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Warren is a dumb developer mouthpiece character but the bit people keep bringing up about him looking in Max's window is him standing on the ground floor looking up at the second to see if she's awake. Plus when you reject him he seems to take it fine so I don't know where people get the creep or "nice guy" thing from him. At worst he comes off a little desperate. That being said, gently caress anyone who kisses him.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

^^^ I kissed him because, poo poo, the town is coming to pieces and the timeline is about to be annihilated when Max uses the picture so, hey, why not?

He's also, what, a sixteen year old kid or something? At least in my experience, he backed off when Chloe texted him.

He did have that photoshop of him and Max, though, that he printed off. That was probably the weirdest thing and it's one of the parts of LiS that stuck out to me and was, like a lot of things that stuck out to me, never really picked up or commented on.

cocoavalley posted:

drat, I just played this last weekend and I'm still thinking about it. I was crafting a longer post, but you've pretty much hit all the same points I was making. Definitely agree that the game pushed for sacrificing Chloe. I'm pretty sure that in the “gently caress fate” option Max's head explodes shortly after they drive off into the sunset… or everyone's does because Earth spins out of orbit. Plus, the whole William plot showed us we would eventually end up needing to do.. I also saw nothing wrong with Warren - he was a goofball, but seemed genuine.

It's something that seems a bit conflicted though. For a lot of the game, I did feel as if Chloe was stifling Max. Not in a bad way, not in a way that was definitely harmful, but in the sense that Chloe was always taking control and sort of setting the terms, as it were. It felt like Max was in Chloe's shade, but Max was happy to be there. This is pointed out by the Other Max in the nightmare, who claims that it's basically Stockholm Syndrome. Chapter 3 has Max needing to let Chloe go to her death and let go of trying to make her life better by saving her father. And, of course, the amount of times where you need to rewind to make things better for Chloe's sake, including but not limited to undoing death.

However, multiple characters point out that Max and Chloe are having a positive effect on each other. Joyce says as much. David says so, too, I think. Max becomes more confident and assertive and Chloe loses a lot of her internal rage and angst. Chloe never really takes advantage of Max's devotion or hurts her (unless you want to argue that having Max use her power to her benefit over and over again is a bad thing, but I don't think so). In fact, Chloe and Max have one amazing week in Arcadia Bay, really.

I knew something to do with Chloe was coming when the game sort of overplayed its hand with the Star Trek reference in Max's diary. However, I was then pretty confused when the storm still hit even though Chloe was dead. I'm still not sure of the metaphysics behind it all though. It appears to be that using Max's power fucks up reality leading to weird weather events and phenomena that ratchet upwards very, very quickly. This persists across alternate realities as, in the reality where Chloe is a quadriplegic, the whales are still beached. But it seems weird to have Max develop this power to use it to save Chloe and change fate and then have the final chapter say that she never should have done it because it'll destroy the town. It kind of feels like they weren't sure how to tie the plots (Rachel mystery, Chloe stuff, storm mystery) together. Like, what's the lesson? Never try? Let good things go? Don't use your advantages to help someone you love?

I just don't see how Max will survive in either ending. She either killed Chloe, who she loved deeply, and can never, ever tell anyone what really happened, or she has the guilt of destroying the town of Arcadia Bay and killing at least a few people to save her.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 29, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Hipster Occultist posted:

Its quite literally a story in which everyone would have been better off if you had never existed. I don't need to state any further why that's bad for a narrative-based game of choices.

Honestly I would have preferred a Dune-Style golden path type ending. Everything is all hosed up because Time broke and Max has to stitch various elements of time back together into a coherent and hale timeline.

I would have appreciated it if the game ended with a boss fight that was actually a secret music puzzle and once you puzzle out the right indy bass rift you are treated to Max picking the best aspects and outcomes of every timeline and weaving them together into one ideal timeline before sending Chloe back to seek her out in this new world she's created. After who knows how long searching Chloe finds Max wandering around Tokyo. End credits.

This is the ending to Chrono Cross :shh:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Warren did nothing wrong.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Serious post now, I have a problem with this game that is not the ending (though I also am not fond of the ending) and that problem revolves around Kate.

Allow me to elaborate: Kate was targeted by Jefferson, this is proven by him having a folder for her in the Dark Room. And it is obvious Kate was taken to the Dark Room (probably by Nathan) because the pictures in the folder are of her in the Dark Room. The pictures in the folders are most likely pictures Jefferson took as he is a psychopath and the folders are his masterpiece. He wouldn't put someone else's pictures in them. So... why does he let Kate go free and not kill her like he has every other girl? It doesn't fit his MO. It could be argued that maybe he doesn't kill and Rachel was an accident but that is bullshit. He is very willing and very eager to kill as he gleefully displays to Max when he kills Victoria offscreen (if you make the bad choice) and attempts to lethal inject Max. (He also kills Chloe and Nathan so... yeah.) Rachel's accidental overdose was just an earlier death than Jefferson intended and he was definitely going to kill Rachel after he was done with her. So again, his MO is: Drug girls, kidnap girls, photograph and torment girls for awhile, kill girls, repeat. So why does he break the pattern and let Kate go? All crime drama has taught me this is not how killers behave.

My only answer is narrative convenience. Any thoughts?

Jenner fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 29, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Eh, I'm gonna go unspoiled because its been a year and all that.

As much as Episode 5 is an abysmal mess the game does give a clear reason, Rachel got killed because she wasn't sufficiently drugged enough so she woke up halfway through, she started to fight back, and Jefferson panicked. Jefferson didn't kill anyone prior to Rachel, any other girls he kidnapped were sufficiently drugged enough to not remember a thing which included Kate.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 29, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Warren did nothing wrong.

*tips fedora* M'lord

Glagha posted:

Warren is a dumb developer mouthpiece character but the bit people keep bringing up about him looking in Max's window is him standing on the ground floor looking up at the second to see if she's awake.

Yeah, checking a girl's second floor bedroom from outside to keep tabs on if she's awake is heaps better.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Plom Bar posted:

*tips fedora* M'lord

Yeah, checking a girl's second floor bedroom from outside to keep tabs on if she's awake is heaps better.

I never noticed that, when does that happen?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He waited outside for a girl he had a crush on. Can you believe this poo poo? I bet he would date rape her at that Planet of the Apes festival. Disgusting.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

sout posted:

Glagha posted:

Warren is a dumb developer mouthpiece character but the bit people keep bringing up about him looking in Max's window is him standing on the ground floor looking up at the second to see if she's awake.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Eh, I'm gonna go unspoiled because its been a year and all that.

As much as Episode 5 is an abysmal mess the game does give a clear reason, Rachel got killed because she wasn't sufficiently drugged enough so she woke up halfway through, she started to fight back, and Jefferson panicked. Jefferson didn't kill anyone prior to Rachel, any other girls he kidnapped were sufficiently drugged enough to not remember a thing which included Kate.

I guess.you're right about dropping the spoiler tags...

So, I didn't get that message at all and I'm not sure what you're concluding it from. Again, Jefferson seems totally fine killing Chloe, Nathan, Victoria and Max (and Rachel.) There is no reason he wouldn't kill those other girls too. Especially since they're useless to him now.

But... :shrug:

It really is staggering how many lesbian/bisexual characters are killed off but what really sticks with me is not just that they were killed off but that the majority of them were killed off in an incredibly violent fashion.

It's like sending a message. :/

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Milky Moor posted:

He did have that photoshop of him and Max, though, that he printed off. That was probably the weirdest thing and it's one of the parts of LiS that stuck out to me and was, like a lot of things that stuck out to me, never really picked up or commented on.
Was it a faked image? Max didn't indicate that in my playthrough. She defended him whenever anyone teased her about his crush, and continued to behave warmly to him. But ha, the Gary Stu comment - I was a geek girl in high school and grew up to be a game dev, sooooo .... Warren seemed normal to me, and if anything, less goony than what I'm used to. I'm sure I played my choices in his favor v:shobon:v

quote:

It's something that seems a bit conflicted though
I just don't see how Max will survive in either ending. She either killed Chloe, who she loved deeply, and can never, ever tell anyone what really happened, or she has the guilt of destroying the town of Arcadia Bay and killing at least a few people to save her.

Yeah, the game plays devil's advocate constantly, really takes the time to spell out character relationships and the consequences of choosing whether or not to rewind. But I didn't see the final choice being much of a choice, other than rejecting growing up and learning that life isn't fair. Choosing to keep Chloe would require remaining in an altered timeline that was affecting the solar system, as well as turning Max's brain into mush. Not to mention the game specifically does not show us if there were any other human survivors. The ending cinematic for accepting fate was far more evocative to me and suggested it was the 'right' thing to do.

Jenner posted:

Serious post now, I have a problem with this game that is not the ending (though I also am not fond of the ending) and that problem revolves around Kate.

Allow me to elaborate: ... So why does he break the pattern and let Kate go? All crime drama has taught me this is not how killers behave.

My only answer is narrative convenience. Any thoughts?
I thought Nathan overdosed Rachel and that's when things began to snowball? Jefferson mentioned that his subjects had always ended up committing suicide after he broke them and Kate was unusual since she was recovering. He even mentions "testing her faith"' again. I think he only starts outright killing once he gets discovered, in an attempt to cover things up.

sout posted:

e:found a better screenshot

cocoavalley fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 29, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jenner posted:

So, I didn't get that message at all and I'm not sure what you're concluding it from. Again, Jefferson seems totally fine killing Chloe, Nathan, Victoria and Max (and Rachel.) There is no reason he wouldn't kill those other girls too. Especially since they're useless to him now.
Just chalk that up to Episode 5's overall lovely writing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

cocoavalley posted:

Was it a faked image? Max didn't indicate that in my playthrough. She defended him whenever anyone teased her about his crush, and continued to behave warmly to him. But ha, the Gary Stu comment - I was a geek girl in high school and grew up to be a game dev, sooooo .... Warren seemed normal to me, and if anything, less goony than what I'm used to. I'm sure I played my choices in his favor v:shobon:v

It looked like two images pasted together, but I didn't study it long. So, I looked it up on Google and it still seems like it is awkwardly posed, like it is two images composited, but it might just be unintentional. Particularly because, as it turns out, Max says that he must have developed it in Jefferson's class. I assume she could recognise a photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

It really blows my mind that this topic is ever debated when there's literally a sequence where Max is stuck in her own subconscious and finds Dream-Warren has made a hairdoll of her and says overtly creepy things to her.

Yes, it's just a dream, but it's a reflection of Max' inner feelings on the topic.

• Locked thread