Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I can't get into this. I really want to, and I think the premise is pretty neat, but being unable to skip any of the dialogue and the fact that there's so much of it (I play with subtitles) just drags me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I mean... you can skip dialogue if you rewind and retry a conversation, but it is a story/dialogue driven game. It'd kind of defeat the purpose to skip over it.

Not if you read faster than listening to the characters. But whenever I try to press space to skip, I get a crossed out skip icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Basically, why spend what feels like five minutes on a conversation listening to two CGI characters talk to each other when I could read it and digest it in, like, one?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Just finished this, not sure why I didn't do it sooner.

Episode 5 felt like they were rushing to the finish line, like they realised they'd run out of script pages, but I loved the nightmare sequence. Overall, I was very impressed. But it sucked how the whole game was building to the sacrifice Chloe ending to the extent that it feels like a bit of a fake choice to make the kayfabe of it all work. It also felt weird that the storm was apparently tied to Max's use of her power and not, say, Chloe existing.

It's definitely more the journey than the ending sort of thing, and the journey was great. The ending was a bit rough, and it almost felt like the game was setting up something different (that people like Jefferson and Nathan's dad knew about the weirdness) and left a lot of plot threads dangling in the wind, but I feel satisfied.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 29, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Oh, and I thought all the characters were developed really well, including Madsen and Nathan. About the only character who felt one-dimensional was Jefferson. Before playing the game, people told me that Warren was super creepy but I didn't really see it? I mean, he obviously liked Max a lot in that teen crush way, but he never seemed to be a jerk or a creep about it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

^^^ I kissed him because, poo poo, the town is coming to pieces and the timeline is about to be annihilated when Max uses the picture so, hey, why not?

He's also, what, a sixteen year old kid or something? At least in my experience, he backed off when Chloe texted him.

He did have that photoshop of him and Max, though, that he printed off. That was probably the weirdest thing and it's one of the parts of LiS that stuck out to me and was, like a lot of things that stuck out to me, never really picked up or commented on.

cocoavalley posted:

drat, I just played this last weekend and I'm still thinking about it. I was crafting a longer post, but you've pretty much hit all the same points I was making. Definitely agree that the game pushed for sacrificing Chloe. I'm pretty sure that in the “gently caress fate” option Max's head explodes shortly after they drive off into the sunset… or everyone's does because Earth spins out of orbit. Plus, the whole William plot showed us we would eventually end up needing to do.. I also saw nothing wrong with Warren - he was a goofball, but seemed genuine.

It's something that seems a bit conflicted though. For a lot of the game, I did feel as if Chloe was stifling Max. Not in a bad way, not in a way that was definitely harmful, but in the sense that Chloe was always taking control and sort of setting the terms, as it were. It felt like Max was in Chloe's shade, but Max was happy to be there. This is pointed out by the Other Max in the nightmare, who claims that it's basically Stockholm Syndrome. Chapter 3 has Max needing to let Chloe go to her death and let go of trying to make her life better by saving her father. And, of course, the amount of times where you need to rewind to make things better for Chloe's sake, including but not limited to undoing death.

However, multiple characters point out that Max and Chloe are having a positive effect on each other. Joyce says as much. David says so, too, I think. Max becomes more confident and assertive and Chloe loses a lot of her internal rage and angst. Chloe never really takes advantage of Max's devotion or hurts her (unless you want to argue that having Max use her power to her benefit over and over again is a bad thing, but I don't think so). In fact, Chloe and Max have one amazing week in Arcadia Bay, really.

I knew something to do with Chloe was coming when the game sort of overplayed its hand with the Star Trek reference in Max's diary. However, I was then pretty confused when the storm still hit even though Chloe was dead. I'm still not sure of the metaphysics behind it all though. It appears to be that using Max's power fucks up reality leading to weird weather events and phenomena that ratchet upwards very, very quickly. This persists across alternate realities as, in the reality where Chloe is a quadriplegic, the whales are still beached. But it seems weird to have Max develop this power to use it to save Chloe and change fate and then have the final chapter say that she never should have done it because it'll destroy the town. It kind of feels like they weren't sure how to tie the plots (Rachel mystery, Chloe stuff, storm mystery) together. Like, what's the lesson? Never try? Let good things go? Don't use your advantages to help someone you love?

I just don't see how Max will survive in either ending. She either killed Chloe, who she loved deeply, and can never, ever tell anyone what really happened, or she has the guilt of destroying the town of Arcadia Bay and killing at least a few people to save her.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 29, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

cocoavalley posted:

Was it a faked image? Max didn't indicate that in my playthrough. She defended him whenever anyone teased her about his crush, and continued to behave warmly to him. But ha, the Gary Stu comment - I was a geek girl in high school and grew up to be a game dev, sooooo .... Warren seemed normal to me, and if anything, less goony than what I'm used to. I'm sure I played my choices in his favor v:shobon:v

It looked like two images pasted together, but I didn't study it long. So, I looked it up on Google and it still seems like it is awkwardly posed, like it is two images composited, but it might just be unintentional. Particularly because, as it turns out, Max says that he must have developed it in Jefferson's class. I assume she could recognise a photoshop.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Plom Bar posted:

It really blows my mind that this topic is ever debated when there's literally a sequence where Max is stuck in her own subconscious and finds Dream-Warren has made a hairdoll of her and says overtly creepy things to her.

Yes, it's just a dream, but it's a reflection of Max' inner feelings on the topic.

The only thing I saw of Warren in that sequence was him saying "Maaaax! Come out to plaaaaaay!" and I was like, oh hey, it's that movie.

...was there really a hairdoll?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Plom Bar posted:

It's the 7th photo op for that episode, I believe. You have to find his locker.

Feels weird to say it is a real reflection on Real Warren when it's obviously a Worst Possible Warren in a nightmare where Max is confronted with her deepest fears that everyone despises her, wants to hurt her, use her, lies to her, hates her. Like Shinji's breakdown in Evangelion.

edit: And while Chloe is always a bright spot, the whole thing on the couch has Max thinking that she likes other people as much as she likes me and such. It's a reflection of Max's worries and insecurities.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 29, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I can't believe that Pompidou actually knows how to use a phone.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

With respect, Plom Bar, your argument would be more convincing if your references to the text were more accurate.

Jefferson only starts killing when it seems like his secret is getting out. He doesn't need to kill anyone (and risk a murder investigation) until Nathan messes up and Max starts putting the pieces together.

vvv it's not a photoshop, it's a poorly developed picture. Warren is bad at photography.

I liked your points about the Sacrifice Arcadia ending, by the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Life is Strange: Revenge of the Fallen
Life is Strange: Age of Extinction

I am extremely down for these.

• Locked thread