Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
People's complaints about the ending may have some merit, but I chose to save the town and it feels disingenuous to criticize something that made me sob like a little girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Yeah, kissing Chloe and friendzoning Warren are the only things I didn't change when I replayed the game (and I even killed Pompidou).

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I do; it's in the middle of the street.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Kotaku did a thing where they got fashion experts to review video game characters and they covered Chloe.

quote:

Lisa: I don’t know anything about Chloe but I assume she punches people who wear the band shirts of bands they don’t really listen to.

Carina: I’m not sure what her character does in the game . . . does she fight? Or maybe mope around? Either way her outfit confuses me. A beanie AND a singlet, tells me she can’t decide if she’s hot or cold. 4/10.

Alexandra: Chloe is obviously very cool. We know this because she has a skull in her tattoo, on her shirt and then (for extra clarification) the word ‘skull’ on her top.

Justine: This girl looks like Ruby Rose back in her DJing days. Enjoying her rock vibe and cool beanie. 8/10

Genevieve: Her clothes and tatts say “I don’t give a sh*t about you” and her eyes say, “Take care of me.” I like this juxtaposition. I also enjoy her blue nails, peek-a-boo bra and the necklace – she’s put a bit of effort in and I’m glad about it. I feel like she might have issues though, I dunno. *Googles*. Score: 7/10, ‘cause she does what she wants.

Last chick nailed it.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Robiben posted:

Well I agree. But Chloe is dead. Max is the one that has to live with it. ALSO its a fantastical story in some way so Chloe is probably chilling in heaven or some poo poo. Isn't the butterfly meant to be her spirit?

"Chloe and Rachel are loving together in heaven right now. Is that what you wanna hear?"

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I really hope I'm not creating persistent splinter timelines, based on nothing but the number of times I poured Frank's soda in his lap for the hell of it. Or the prospect of having to explain to William and Joyce why I killed their daughter. Given the amount of trial and error I had to use in the David vs. Jefferson fight, I'd say the vast majority of timelines end up with both Max and Chloe dead.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Jesus, you didn't watch Chloe die enough times already?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
So I name all my video game consoles and I have a dilemma. My PS3 was already called "Max" after Peter Falk's character from The Great Race (because it's a newer model with actual power buttons), so naming the PS4 "Chloe" only fit. I kind of want to customize it somehow to reflect it's new "Chloeness," but I'm a 30-year-old man and I'm worried the rest of the male gender will collectively disown me if they catch me putting butterfly stickers on poo poo.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 10, 2016

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Robiben posted:

That's the funny thing about LIS, as a dude who do you have to admire? The Drug Dealer, The Domestic Abuser or The Lonley Nerd?

Excuse me, I'll have you know that I'm clearly The Ineffectual Drunk.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

LoseHound posted:

Sidenote: One of my favorite lines in episode 1 happens just before Max puts in her earbuds, it's something like "She's so loving shy she takes selfies with a giant camera"

It's even better than that. The dude can't even finish his sentence. The line is "She's so loving shy, *DROWNED OUT BY EARBUDS*"

ETA: We're all forgetting Douchebag in Infinity Scarf as well.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I played this game on Steam and loved it so much that I bought a copy off PSN so my sister could play on the big TV. Watching her play, I noticed differences in the stats at the end of the chapters that is kind of illuminating. Players on the PSN version were slightly more likely to kill Pompidou, slightly less likely to blame Nathan at the end of chapter 2, slightly less likely to kiss Chloe, and WAY less likely to help out Alyssa (55-45 vs 69-31). Console gamers seem to be objectively bigger dicks. She's still working through the game but I want to do a full on comparison once she's through, because this is loving fascinating to me.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I just now noticed Samuel is humming the music from the pause menu while he sweeps. New theory: Samuel is like Deadpool. He's self-aware of his existence as a fictional character, but nobody else can perceive this and so they mistake his insight as mental illness.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
My sister finished her playthrough last night. I left the room for episode 5 because I didn't want her to feel judged making the last choice, so I had to get an after action report. She had been very vocal about Warren's unwanted advances, so I first asked about the bit with him in the diner. "I gave him a hug. Because I do love him. And then I let him die, because Chloe is my soul mate."

I asked her how many times she had to rewind the fight between David and Jefferson. "Once."

I am really proud of my sister right now.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Seconding the Tales From the Borderlands endorsement. It includes a robot so cute she makes BB-8 look like Frank Reynolds.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
While it never produced the all-out bawling that LIS did, Talos Principle did get me a little misty towards the end. If you're still in "I just played Life Is Strange and I want to hang on to this sadness" mode, I'd recommend going with that one. It's also hands down the best game on that list from a mechanical perspective.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Robiben posted:

Can't comment on the other 2 but they are all good options. I also played Gone Home right after Undertale, thats another good story game if you haven't played it.

Oh yeah, Gone Home is absolutely the 2nd best bittersweet character study adventure game about lesbian teenagers in rural Oregon. It's kind of like that one summer when we had the two asteroid movies.

E:I like to imagine Max, Chloe, Samantha and Lonnie having equal stakes in LA's hippest lesbian bar. It goes great right up until they lose their liquor license because Chloe refuses to card anybody.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 25, 2016

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Something occurred to me. The story starts on October 7, 2013, a weirdly brief amount of time go back from the present. I always figured it was a last minute script alteration to account for Chloe's marijuana not actually being illegal in Oregon anymore, but then I thought of something. The only time we see Chloe's family not being hounded by creditors is when Max goes back in time five years, which would put it just days prior to the '08 market crash. The surprise villain reveal wasn't Mr. Jefferson. It was Wall Street.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The eye makeup on the first one is a nice touch.

So a friend of mine was playing for the first time and kept messaging me on Steam while he was going through episode 5. As he reaches the end, he writes me "Nope. Nuh uh, I refuse. You can't make me" and closes the game, saying that he doesn't have to choose if he never opens it ever again. He restarted 5 minutes later and saved the bay, but I admire that level of "NOPE." He was also extremely proud to be in the 6% that showed Warren no affection whatsoever.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Kurtofan posted:

more importantly is there any warren cosplay?

Quick Google search indicates "yes," but it's like 60% chicks doing crossplay.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Cool, thread isn't dead anymore and I can share this: after making my sister play the game, her boyfriend is currently in the middle of his first run. She sacrificed the bay, but I know this guy and there is no way he does the same. Is it wrong if I kind of want to see them get in a fight over it? "Oh, so you wouldn't kill a town for me?!"

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Status update: I was wrong and he chose Bae. I'm glad; they're good together.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Food for thought: the jail is most likely going to be the sturdiest structure in town. If anybody survived that storm, it's probably Nathan and Jefferson.

Kobogartimer posted:

I was trying to count how many times this game made me cry or just about cry, and I lost track somewhere around 20 part way through ep. 4. I might have emotional problems, but is anyone with me on this?

I essentially shotgunned the whole game in one sitting over the course of a day and then went to bed immediately after I finished (sacrificed Chloe, deeply regret it now). No breaks, no reflection, no time to decompress. Didn't cry once while I was playing the game. The next morning, however, it all hits me at once and I just collapse sobbing in the shower. Repeat for over two weeks. This game hit some very specific emotional baggage for me.

You know what, gently caress it. E/N Overshare. Let's tell a story. It's about a protagonist reconnecting with their childhood best friend after leaving and having had zero contact for around five years. The best friend dyes her hair now and wears a beanie everywhere, but they're mostly there to distract from her sad eyes (she's got abandonment issues which our protagonist feels partially responsible for, on top of a history of being sexually assaulted). She's a bit of a delinquent, but she cares. She's pretty openly bisexual and there's something romantic building between the two that is unfortunately sometimes overshadowed by the fact that she's still kind of in love with a dead girl. In the end, our protagonist makes a decision that means they can't ever see their friend ever again, even if they still love them.

Mine dyed her hair purple. Mine is still alive, I just ended up losing her to the voices in her head. I had to sever for my own mental and physical well-being. I had to do it (Chloe never threatened to stab Max), but I still felt like I abandoned my best friend when she needed me.

So yeah. I sacrificed Chloe my first time. And six months later, I still cry in the shower from time to time.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
A 10 minute one shot where a character picks up and then puts down every object in the room as the internal monologue voiceover goes "Wow, I remember this!" does not really translate to film.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Or the KOTOR 2 route, where you pick a canon ending, but still give the PC a dialogue option to fold their arms and say "That's not how I remember it." The game then kinda shrugs and goes "I don't know what to tell you, man."

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 29, 2016

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I was thinking really hard about replaying this game, to the point of loading it up but wandering away from the opening menu screen for too long and then the moment was gone. Instead I ended up getting the PS4 port of Dark Cloud 2. It wasn't until like five hours in that I realized that I had subconsciously substituted another game where you play as a time traveling photographer named Max.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Little Inferno Is Strange.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I defy anyone to name a character better suited for a roguelike than Chloe.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Thanqol posted:

"Life Is Doctor Strange" is one I could actually see happening.

"Mister Jefferson, I've come to bargain."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

abardam posted:

I prefer to call it considering the consequences, weighing my options, and comparing outcomes :colbert:

It's nice. With Telltale, there's the countdown timer going "CHOOSE! NOW, MOTHERFUCKER, WHO DIES TONIGHT?!" It adds to the tension and gives a lot of great moments where you immediately regret your panicked decision but have to live with it now. With LIS, that decision was made with time, consideration, and full knowledge of the potential outcomes. So when that one comes back later to bite you in the rear end, you own it.

• Locked thread