Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ser Pounce
Feb 9, 2010

In this world the weak are always victims of the strong
I suspect that unless you are a type of Gypsy in real life then it's also probable that you keep going to the same places every day, week, year. Salted by the occasional novel place you might go for work, school trips, meet a new friend or lover and a lot of these places will eventually just become regular haunts.

It's just not something we are usually consciously aware of and it's likely, when you think about it, that you are intimately familiar with all the places you choose to hang out in your life. I think it's a very nice touch that the game world try's to mirror this. And I liked how awkward visiting some rooms/places, say Janice and David's bedroom, made me feel, I can't think of any other game I've played that achieved that for me.

It's such a nice touch that even months after finishing the game, I find that I can be listening to a song from the soundtrack in some playlist or other and I'm back thinking about certain scenes in particular locations and how exploring them allowed Max to fill in my blanks about those places, such as everything about Chloe's house. For Max almost none of it was truly new. All linked to some revealed memory, even fairly often the same revelation of her inner life occurs when you start poking around other people's private stuff. Even the alternative versions served to help build your internal picture of the real/primary.

For me the game is very much a synecdoche of real life, it might be because when I got older my life became a series of baggage halls, hotels (which all merge into the blandly familiar), offices I work at and a few houses (home and family/friends), everywhere else just being in between these places. I think the dev team and the story builders have done a seriously incredible job with it, plot holes and telegraphed final choices can be set off to one side as entirely unimportant, the haunts that make up Max and Chloe's familiar lives are somewhere that I think I can be happy to revisit sometimes and just chill out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread