Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

quadrophrenic posted:

The whole game is kind of an interesting test study in ludonarrative dissonance, I think. There are ludic elements that are taken for granted in a lot of adventure games (rifling through an NPC's personal belongings) that, because of the modern and realistic setting, just feel more wrong to do from a narrative standpoint. BUT, because of the time rewind mechanic, you can enjoy being gamey and amoral and still maintain your personal integrity from a narrative standpoint.

That's, I think, kind of the hidden boon of the time travel mechanic: because at any point you can choose to make the experience more like a movie or a game or both, you can kind of have your cake and eat it too.

Also, all of the conflict in this game seems to be mostly crouched firmly in after-school special territory, for what that's worth.

One thing I liked about that is that if you take the time to talk to all the people hanging around the school It quickly becomes clear that Rachael also had access to the same time travel powers and was basically gaming the system. Every single group you talks to loves her but basically describes a different person, it's with so many people that it's pretty much impossible that she could have mastered everything they claimed unless she was awake 24/7. Then the game has you do the exact same thing as Max in order to gain their friendship, finding out their buttons then rewinding time to press them and make people like you without ever directly correlating the two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So if you can keep your inventory when rewinding time (i.e. the hammer in the bathroom) why can I not take a photo of David yelling at Kate, rewind, and then intervene while still keeping the photo?

That one annoyed me because it's basically the writers forgetting their own rules for the sake of having a choice. Especially considering that the whole reason that Max loves analogue Cameras so much is so that she has an excuse for thinking of being able to take photos of the future, keep the physical photo and then rewind

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Ekusukariba posted:

Nah she totally knows and just doesn't want to hurt his feelings, I'm guessing there'll eventually be an option to tell him you don't like him, but till then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdZWspd8hJU

Top comment on that video is golden.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Maleficent posted:

games should be taken SERIOUSLY as an ART FORM just like movies and literature roger ebert was WRONG
*sees unfavorable critique of duke nukem*
ugh guys they're just VIDEO GAMES, stop taking them so seriously you sjw idiot fuckers!!

Some games like some films are intended to be more than just light entertainment and should be considered on that basis? Is this really such a controversial statement?

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Did you attend an art school? That's not how things were at my Uni.

Why did you think it was a University? It's very clearly a boarding school for high school kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I was on my fresher year when I was 18.

Thats nice, lets try this again. Why can't you fathom that a university has a very different social dynamic from a high school?

• Locked thread