Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Milky Moor posted:

Oh, and I thought all the characters were developed really well, including Madsen and Nathan. About the only character who felt one-dimensional was Jefferson. Before playing the game, people told me that Warren was super creepy but I didn't really see it? I mean, he obviously liked Max a lot in that teen crush way, but he never seemed to be a jerk or a creep about it.

drat, I just played this last weekend and I'm still thinking about it. I was crafting a longer post, but you've pretty much hit all the same points I was making. Definitely agree that the game pushed for sacrificing Chloe. I'm pretty sure that in the “gently caress fate” option Max's head explodes shortly after they drive off into the sunset… or everyone's does because Earth spins out of orbit. Plus, the whole William plot showed us we would eventually end up needing to do.. I also saw nothing wrong with Warren - he was a goofball, but seemed genuine.

Though it's a bit of a mindfuck wondering how Max ended up at the lighthouse in the first place. Had she already tried an alternate timeline and just come back? Is she in some infinite loop where either end deposits her back back at the beginning? Or is it some meta thing for the player, restarting the game in their own attempt to try to change the outcome?

Really enjoyed it.

E:^^^^ ehhhhh, you couldn't see in the windows though? I just interpreted that as him gathering the courage to ask her out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Milky Moor posted:

He did have that photoshop of him and Max, though, that he printed off. That was probably the weirdest thing and it's one of the parts of LiS that stuck out to me and was, like a lot of things that stuck out to me, never really picked up or commented on.
Was it a faked image? Max didn't indicate that in my playthrough. She defended him whenever anyone teased her about his crush, and continued to behave warmly to him. But ha, the Gary Stu comment - I was a geek girl in high school and grew up to be a game dev, sooooo .... Warren seemed normal to me, and if anything, less goony than what I'm used to. I'm sure I played my choices in his favor v:shobon:v

quote:

It's something that seems a bit conflicted though
I just don't see how Max will survive in either ending. She either killed Chloe, who she loved deeply, and can never, ever tell anyone what really happened, or she has the guilt of destroying the town of Arcadia Bay and killing at least a few people to save her.

Yeah, the game plays devil's advocate constantly, really takes the time to spell out character relationships and the consequences of choosing whether or not to rewind. But I didn't see the final choice being much of a choice, other than rejecting growing up and learning that life isn't fair. Choosing to keep Chloe would require remaining in an altered timeline that was affecting the solar system, as well as turning Max's brain into mush. Not to mention the game specifically does not show us if there were any other human survivors. The ending cinematic for accepting fate was far more evocative to me and suggested it was the 'right' thing to do.

Jenner posted:

Serious post now, I have a problem with this game that is not the ending (though I also am not fond of the ending) and that problem revolves around Kate.

Allow me to elaborate: ... So why does he break the pattern and let Kate go? All crime drama has taught me this is not how killers behave.

My only answer is narrative convenience. Any thoughts?
I thought Nathan overdosed Rachel and that's when things began to snowball? Jefferson mentioned that his subjects had always ended up committing suicide after he broke them and Kate was unusual since she was recovering. He even mentions "testing her faith"' again. I think he only starts outright killing once he gets discovered, in an attempt to cover things up.

sout posted:

I never noticed that, when does that happen?

e:found a better screenshot

cocoavalley fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 29, 2016

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

A big part of what made this game so enjoyable for me was that nothing could be taken for face value, and that characters were fleshed out enough that my opinions of them could be changed. Since he's such a point of contention (ha ha, Reddit), yeah, Warren starts out as a nerdy horndog. But like the rest of the characters he goes through his own metamorphosis by the end. The first time he fights with Nathan is an opportunity to show off and garner sympathy so Max might go out with him. But the second time he is visibly shaken by it and his reaction, a pretty obvious turning point. He only half-heartedly tries to tag along and is easily sent off. By the party he's turned in on himself. Our last 'real' encounter with him is in the diner, where he seems to have processed and accepted the week's events, and there is no sign of going ape. Even if you choose to kiss him, his reaction is subdued. All of the character development drives home how difficult the ending feels, regardless of choice. It just does such a good job invoking doubt, I was even momentarily irked that my game was putting me in that position .... And I love that it could do that.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Decided to play again this week, just one episode a night (instead of binging the whole season in less than two days like my first playthrough). Tonight is episode 5 and I'm dragging my feet because the end is near. Taking the time to savor each episode and wander around has been nice. The atmosphere in the dorms and the end of the world party especially remind me of college, really well done.

Of course my choices this time are biased by knowing the outcome, so it's fun getting different scenes. I didn't realize the spirit deer wasn't affected by rewind and missed the photo in the junkyard because I got too close :arghfist::saddowns:

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Yeah, there are some great little winks to the player tucked around. I liked the diner jukebox having "I Got You, Babe".

• Locked thread