Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I just powered through this whole game over two days and while maybe I missed out on some of the hype churned up by all the waiting in between chapters I have to say this game has me really torn. On one hand I feel they went really dark with some of the events in the game like Rachel being dead[/quote] which I called because it's unrealistic for [spoiler]any person let alone a girl being missing that long and still being alive. And the pictures and environment in The Dark Room was legitimately unnerving. And yet I never really felt like I had control or that my decisions ever mattered because I could always go back and change everything.

In the end I feel incredibly cheated. I was expecting something more like Mass Effect where decisions built of eachother and had persistent, palpable, lingering consequences. (Though in the end even Bioware copped out on the make choices and your choices matter thing.) I feel like this game wasn't committed to it and that the consequences were usually immediate and just guilt inspiring. I even had a save game where I make all the worst/meanest choices and it's that run which made how little everything mattered stand out. There were no branching paths everything happened as it needed to with just a few lines of dialog changed here and there.

And after all that everything really does rely on one decision at the end. It was insulting especially when the choice is Chloe or no Chloe and all you get at the end for choosing Chloe is a significant look at the end.

So cheated.

I guess what I'm saying is if they're gonna make Chloe a focal point and put all this weight and importance on her and her relationship with Max then I personally expect some hard core lesbianism. Or at least some best friendship ever snuggles and horizon gazings. (I personally was in it for the lesbianism.)

In short this game could have and should have been a lot gayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I stand by my statement.

I expected a gayer game than this.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Hipster Occultist posted:

Its quite literally a story in which everyone would have been better off if you had never existed. I don't need to state any further why that's bad for a narrative-based game of choices.

Honestly I would have preferred a Dune-Style golden path type ending. Everything is all hosed up because Time broke and Max has to stitch various elements of time back together into a coherent and hale timeline.

I would have appreciated it if the game ended with a boss fight that was actually a secret music puzzle and once you puzzle out the right indy bass rift you are treated to Max picking the best aspects and outcomes of every timeline and weaving them together into one ideal timeline before sending Chloe back to seek her out in this new world she's created. After who knows how long searching Chloe finds Max wandering around Tokyo. End credits.

This is the ending to Chrono Cross :shh:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Serious post now, I have a problem with this game that is not the ending (though I also am not fond of the ending) and that problem revolves around Kate.

Allow me to elaborate: Kate was targeted by Jefferson, this is proven by him having a folder for her in the Dark Room. And it is obvious Kate was taken to the Dark Room (probably by Nathan) because the pictures in the folder are of her in the Dark Room. The pictures in the folders are most likely pictures Jefferson took as he is a psychopath and the folders are his masterpiece. He wouldn't put someone else's pictures in them. So... why does he let Kate go free and not kill her like he has every other girl? It doesn't fit his MO. It could be argued that maybe he doesn't kill and Rachel was an accident but that is bullshit. He is very willing and very eager to kill as he gleefully displays to Max when he kills Victoria offscreen (if you make the bad choice) and attempts to lethal inject Max. (He also kills Chloe and Nathan so... yeah.) Rachel's accidental overdose was just an earlier death than Jefferson intended and he was definitely going to kill Rachel after he was done with her. So again, his MO is: Drug girls, kidnap girls, photograph and torment girls for awhile, kill girls, repeat. So why does he break the pattern and let Kate go? All crime drama has taught me this is not how killers behave.

My only answer is narrative convenience. Any thoughts?

Jenner fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 29, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Eh, I'm gonna go unspoiled because its been a year and all that.

As much as Episode 5 is an abysmal mess the game does give a clear reason, Rachel got killed because she wasn't sufficiently drugged enough so she woke up halfway through, she started to fight back, and Jefferson panicked. Jefferson didn't kill anyone prior to Rachel, any other girls he kidnapped were sufficiently drugged enough to not remember a thing which included Kate.

I guess.you're right about dropping the spoiler tags...

So, I didn't get that message at all and I'm not sure what you're concluding it from. Again, Jefferson seems totally fine killing Chloe, Nathan, Victoria and Max (and Rachel.) There is no reason he wouldn't kill those other girls too. Especially since they're useless to him now.

But... :shrug:

It really is staggering how many lesbian/bisexual characters are killed off but what really sticks with me is not just that they were killed off but that the majority of them were killed off in an incredibly violent fashion.

It's like sending a message. :/

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

cocoavalley posted:

I thought Nathan overdosed Rachel and that's when things began to snowball? Jefferson mentioned that his subjects had always ended up committing suicide after he broke them and Kate was unusual since she was recovering. He even mentions "testing her faith"' again. I think he only starts outright killing once he gets discovered, in an attempt to cover things up?

Yeah, Nathan was the one who accidentally killed Rachel but that doesn't mean Jefferson wasn't going to ultimately kill her anyway. I honestly don't remember Jefferson sayying any of this stuff about his past victims killing themselves and such... I guess I'll need to play the game again.

It is quite possible Jefferson did catch and release because it's easier to clean up right up until Nathan hosed everything up.

Lt. Danger posted:

Jefferson only starts killing when it seems like his secret is getting out. He doesn't need to kill anyone (and risk a murder investigation) until Nathan messes up and Max starts putting the pieces together.

Yeah, I guess this makes sense. Thanks you two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
When you get right down to it Nathan is the real hero. Without him being an incompetent gently caress up Jefferson probably could have kept doing his awful bullshit forever.

• Locked thread