Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Artix posted:

They said ~6 weeks per episode, yeah? We should be due for one either this week or next, I think.

According to what they were telling people at PAX the 2nd episode is actually finished. Square Enix has yet to announce a release date so it's actually a little concerning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I felt like this episode was considerably worse than the first one. They tried to shoehorn more puzzles into the game and they were just... bad. The diner scene where you had to remember what happened was just annoying, especially when trying to see exactly what landed on the jukebox, the gun scene was complete poo poo, and the bottle search completely boring. I realize that there are restrictions on the game because of the mechanics, but if all the puzzles are going to boil down to complete trial and error than it's going to be disappointing.

And I don't know, it just seems like everything that happened at the end of this episode should have been at the end of the last. We didn't really learn anything new at all, and we met two new characters, that's it. I can't help but feel super disappointed.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 26, 2015

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Oh hey, something I think most of us missed.

loving Warren!

Dudes probably has an SA account.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

If you look in his utility room and find the pictures of Rachel, you can confront him about it and he'll muse that Max "has a lot of time" on her hands. :tinfoil:

He's totally the Morgan Freeman of this story.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Wootman posted:

this game is really gay

I ship MaxXChloe

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

I noticed something when I was watching someone else's playthrough of Ep 1. This may have been discussed before and I've missed it, but anyway.

I found it weird first time through that saving that bird's life in David's room has future consequences. Figured it might mean the bird shits on you later or something, but as far as I can tell it doesn't show up at any other point (so far). Later on, when you're searching the garage, you find out David has been secretly filming the house. If he watches that tape back, what's he going to see? Does Max suddenly appear in the room after rewinding time to save the bird? If you haven't signed the petition to stop the security cameras, he might watch those tapes as well and discover Max's secret.

On another note, how the gently caress does this time travel actually work? The first time it happens you go all the way back to the classroom, but later on you stay where you are and time rewinds around you. Has no-one noticed that Max suddenly appears next to them?

The bird is an achievement thing

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Trial and error doesn't make a puzzle. And if the diner thing at least required some attention, the shooting episode was nothing but a vicious cycle of click a thing, rewind, click another thing. It's the opposite of good use of any engine and the opposite of good in general. It's bad.

I'd have to agree. The "Puzzles" in this game are pretty terrible, and even the ones that are not technically bad the train comes to mind have absolutely no tension because you literally have a rewind button.

Basically the Video game part of this Video Game is really, really bad. The first episode didn't use the mechanics too much outside of conversation stuff, which is why I probably think the first episode was lightyears better.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 3, 2015

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

GoldenNugget posted:

Dammit I'll be playing witcher 3 then. I'll take a break and do this episode that night.

You schedule your video gaming weeks ahead of time?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rosalind posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue9b6hkp48Y

Episode 3 Trailer is out.

Why the hell is Max dressed like Rachel? I'm sure that's going to make the Max is Rachel theorists go crazy.

Oh man, maybe something will actually happen this episode.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rosalind posted:

Because nothing major happened at the end of the last episode. Nope, nothing at all.

Oh cool, a thing happened that was super obviously going to happen the exact second the character was introduced in Episode 1.

Also it was like 15 minutes out of a an hour and a half long episode.

I will say again, maybe something will actually happen this episode.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That episode was very good. However, I have one big issue. Spoilers because it actively discusses the climax of episode 3.

This game if effectively is about the impact of choice and how drastic outcomes can vary. I understand there are limitations to this, as they only have so much money/cannot make every choice matter, but to completely remove the players choice in deciding whether or not to save William was an extremely disappointing. I understand that this is likely going to be a central issue going forward, but we only play these one episode at a time. It was so clearly going to have an extreme impact on everyone involved and it kind of sucked that I just had to do it no matter what.

David as the busdriver was pretty great, though

All in all, this game is way loving weirder than I thought it was going to be. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

sometimes a homeless person is just a homeless person, guys

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm honestly super interested in how exactly this game is going to resolve because we only have two episodes left and here is a list of all the things we still don't know.

What happened to Kate at the party
Why Nathan Prescott is such a poo poo
What happened to Rachel Amber
Why is David following around students
HOW WILL OUR DATE WITH WARREN GO???
What kind of weird thing will hit Alyssa next time
What's the deal with the tornado
Why birds are dying
Why Whales are dying in alternate future
How to fix Chloe broken Life (physically or emotionally)
Are we gay? Is Chloe gay?
What really is the deal with the vortex club
WHO WILL WIN EVERYDAY HEROS?

and finally

Why can Max control time

That's a a lot of things to answer in a game that effectively only has 3-4 hours of content left. I can't help but feel like the payoff for a lot of these either are not going to happen or the payoff will be disappointing.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

precision posted:

edit: Also, you forgot in your list of mysteries "what's the deal with the Red Folder Guy at the end of episode 1, and is it Mr. Jefferson?"

I thought that was very clearly shown to be David Madsen's files on everyone

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Lol this game is loving savage,
Chloe: Oh my life has been dipped in poo poo ever since my dad died :(
The Universe: Ok then we can fix that, enjoy being a parapalegic

Uh, excuse me.

quadriplegic

:colbert:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Gaj posted:

I will agree with you on that. But in the medium that is that is this game, the only consequences that Chloe actually feels is physical; getting shot, hit, or shot again are the only consequences she feels. The boring real life escalation is Step-Douche taking away all of her luxuries and privileges, but she she would still end up with a gun, just like Nathan.

Jesus loving christ dude.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

https://youtu.be/3Dilo_35ALg?list=PL57hJfweW_2u1mKS5UFNgx-voVAvTlkT9&t=434

Here ya go it's probably something simple to do doesn't make it less creepy.

You do know that everything anyone says does not have to be taken as the literal truth, right?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

So what is the deal with Nathan's crazy drawings?

Also on Kate: while I'm an old school adventure game player and am used to the old "look at everything and exhaust dialogue trees" requirement for winning the game, I felt like a goddamn boss for talking Kate down the first time. It was like a boss fight without a boss.

I felt really awesome after talking her down, but I feel like if I had failed I would have thought it was super cheap and annoying. No real in between.

We'll see though, I'm playing through with my girlfriend and she blew through Kate's room in like 2 minutes so there is no way she is saving her.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

would have been better in the alternate timeline imo

Rosalind posted:

One might even say that life is... strange.

:getout:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Kind of concerned that their publisher for this one is Focus, did they list their relationship with Square Enix?

Im more concerned that they are trying to make a game with actual mechanics.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ekusukariba posted:

The episode is going to be 10 minutes of emotional stuff at the beginning then back to status quo of Max thinking condescending things about people

"God, Chloe just looks so bored all the time in that chair"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Kek is (internet) Korean for lol. It's not something Blizzard came up with.

Yup. the 'kek' in WoW is a reference to Startcraft's huge popularity in south Korea.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah, didn't know that.

To be fair, I'm probably the youngest person who was even an age where they played Starcraft, and even then it was several years after the fact (I'm 24).

For most of the audience of this game, this might as well be a WoW or 4chan reference, because that's the context that they have experienced it in.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The vast majority of games are released on Tuesday's, including the past two episodes. I would be surprised if this one changes up the pattern. I'd guess we see it either tomorrow, and if we don't, we don't see it until next Tuesday.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

If you examine the hallway layout at Blackwell, there is a black door to the right of Mr. Jefferson's class that is probably the dark room, but it has been inaccessible thus far.

It's pretty obviously just an extra door that leads into the photography room that was walled over from the inside at one point. If you count your steps from that door to the entrance to the room, then go inside and count your steps to the back wall, they are identical.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I would imagine this means we are getting it next Tuesday.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Genetic Toaster posted:

They're doing a twitter thing with #RachelAmber because today's her birthday in-universe. I think they're going to hold off releasing for a few days to put the tweets they get in the episode, maybe?

I mean, we are almost certainly getting the episode next tuesday, I don't know what the hell they would do with a bunch of tweets about Rachel Amber's Birthday when the game takes place in October.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

it doesnt seem so out of place. max checks up on her twitter while investigating, the player sees all these real tweets and then theres some crazy message from nathan

What, is her phone traveling in time now too?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

they just change the time they were written in universe so it fits -__-

I dunno, it would still seems super weird and out of place. Especially since Chloe has never mentioned that it is soon to be Rachel Amber's birthday despite talking about her 24/7.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rare Collectable posted:

I guess thats not relevant? I'm never really sure on exactly how old the characters are.

I don't really think that the game really understands how old the characters are either. Max is 18 and just started her first year at this boarding school which resembles an American High School, but nearly everyone there appears to be 18.

I'd imagine this is because of the difference between what college is in America and Europe. Blackwell is likely fashioned after a 2 year college someone would attend in Europe before going to University, and the closest thing we have to that in the US is a Jr College or Community College.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 22, 2015

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Torgo2727 posted:

:wtc:, goons.

Is this what becomes of us when episode 4 is "late?"

I'd appreciate it if you didn't rope my post about what kind of school they all go to in with a bunch of weird goon chat about rape, there was nothing in my post about the subject because it's bad and hosed up.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Notable absence of Chloe in the preview trailer. I wonder if that means we're gonna spend the majority of this episode in alt-timeline, or they didn't want to spoil which reality we're in.

I would find the lack of Chloe to be very refreshing.

e: Her lovely truck is in the trailer, which seems pretty telling that we are in the original timeline. Though that's obviously speculation.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 23, 2015

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

According to Square Enix the game has apparently passed 1 million units in sales.

That's pretty insane considering the budget of the game was likely minuscule and it had a non existence advertisement budget.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

I hope they make a sequel, one of the devs said if that would ever happen, LiS Season 2 would be a thematic sequel with an entirely new cast and setting for the next series.

I can honestly say that I hope that there is never a sequel to this game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, why? I can easily understand not wanting a direct sequel and wanting LiS Season 1 to be an entirely standalone game, but if they make a thematic sequel like some TV shows do that would be rad.

Like what would they even do for a sequel? More time traveling twee hipster crap with a new heroine? Do they have a new girl figure out she can control time? Why box yourself in by making yourself make something similar to LiS when they can just make a new game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN7FXEl4NhQ

Relevant because of the weird in-character comments someone made. I wonder if those are official or if I just have some weirdos on my channel.

You must be new to youtube.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

seravid posted:

First, let me congratulate you on being smarter than all those nerds. Way to go. Now, feel free to replace the word "universe" with "fictitious world" or "made-up place" or "imaginary setting", whichever you think would not be indicative of an obsession.

Point is this make-believe dimension has some weird poo poo going on and exploring playing through it as Max has been interesting and fun and worth the 9€ I've paid. The devs mentioned a potential thematic sequel, so they seem interested in keeping telling stories in this fake reality where unnatural events take place and I, for one, would be interested in playing through those.

Sometimes Imaginary Oregon featuring girl with time travel powers and lovely friends is just Imaginary Oregon featuring girl with time travel powers and lovely friends.

Every game does not need to become a franchise.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Welp, Im not going to get to play this until Friday or so.

By until then, thread.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dude gently caress this game, I love this game.

gently caress this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

One thing I was not expecting in this game was a character literally having a bullet hole put through her forehead seemed extremely graphic and out of place in a game like this.

However it was a great reveal, even if the "twist" was extremely obvious.

Drakes posted:

Oh yeah, but her dying felt.....appropriate? Like this giant wake-up call on how while being able to rewind things Max can't save everyone.

That "wake up call" also happens at the end of episode 3/beginning of episode 4, and again at the end of episode 4.

• Locked thread