Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
The ending was perfect.

Remember those times Chloe talked about burning down the town and leaving Arcadia Bay behind? That was what it was. It was a metaphor for that. It was about burning your personal connections and ties to a mundane school and predictable life to set off on a strange and terrifying adventure.

It wasn't about killing everyone in Arcadia Bay, it was about escaping Arcadia Bay. The storm/destruction is a metaphor for two lovers striking out on their own and leaving their tiny little hometown behind. Chloe talks constantly about getting out, going to LA, how much she hates it here and the choice is if Max goes with her or not. It's about choosing between growing up or staying a child.

It's not a story that needs to be taken literally. It's a game deeply rooted in poetry, symbolism and metaphor. Much like a Nolan movie it's about the music, beat and emotion rather than the literal facts on the ground.

Also it was a very Mage: The Awakening story and seeing if you had the will to walk the path of the Thistle, even through the Abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

VagueRant posted:

Is this some kind of super ironic post that I don't get? We're talking Christopher Nolan, right?

I love his work (pre-DKR) but he's a clinical, very fact-based storyteller. He doesn't deal in vagueness at all, every plot point is thoroughly established and explained. Even Inception spells basically everything out with clear cut exposition, but just throws a question mark on The End.

It's the opposite of the vague non-explanations of Max's power and the storm.

I'm thinking the Dark Knight Joker. How does he do the poo poo he does? Who cares? The point is he's crazy, powerful, everywhere, and the living avatar of chaos, and when he's beaten it's by the virtue of ordinary people. The story is more in the musical cues, the environment and the emotional tension of each scene than figuring out how the man persuaded fifty goons to wear clown makeup and do whatever he says.

There are probably better examples, though, that was just came to mind at that moment.

(I was expecting an end where Max saved everyone by putting 'em in Jefferson's bunker though)

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 23, 2015

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

"Life Is Doctor Strange" is one I could actually see happening.

• Locked thread