Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I've just started playing this but man does this look awful on my computer. It's an ancient piece of crap so I was expecting to play on the lowest graphics settings but I wasn't expecting loads of graphical glitches. About one in every three people have technicolored eyelashes which is rather distracting and a bunch of the ambient textures seem to be glitched out, resembling checkerboards. Still enjoying myself though.

One thing I will say is they did a fantastic job on the clothing choices. I see a lot of highschoolers in day to day life (not in a creepy way, I work like one street over from one in a kind of upper class area) and the developers nailed the look of modern rich/upper middle class kids, at least the ones from my area.

quadrophrenic posted:

Chloe is actually voiced by Ashly Burch of HAWP and Tiny Tina fame. If you're familiar with Tiny Tina, you'll understand what a great job Ashly Burch actually did at sounding nothing like Ashly Burch.
Holy poo poo :stare: I would never have called that.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Most importantly:

E3_5A_ChloeRoom_CHChloe_Phase01_000="Kiss Chloe"
E3_5A_ChloeRoom_CHChloe_Phase01_001="Don't kiss Chloe"

Gone Home 2 Lesbians Boogaloo!
Though bear in mind I'm saying that as someone who really liked that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

If you don't it dies and you don't notice until like a week later when it's completely wilted and you feel slightly depressed because man, that was a nice plant.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So if you can keep your inventory when rewinding time (i.e. the hammer in the bathroom) why can I not take a photo of David yelling at Kate, rewind, and then intervene while still keeping the photo?
My immersion, it's ruined!

Edit: Oh poo poo, a Cannibal Holocaust reference! This game just got an extra 100 points in my book :allears:

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 2, 2015

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So if Max travels back in time while not changing her position wouldn't other people notice? Like "hey, a split second ago Max was over by football douchebag but I blinked and now she's in front of me telling me to duck?"

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Paladinus posted:

The fat kid must be from Latin America. There's also a black guy chilling with his 'harem' under a tree. The girl with a drone might be of Asian descent, too, when I think about it.

Anyway, my point was that so far minority characters aren't exactly fleshed out. Not that other characters are fleshed out, but still.
The girl with the drone was definitely asian, the fellow who quizzes you on photographers before he'll let you see his portfolio, I think he was asian as well, Stella (I think that was her name?) was pretty clearly middle eastern or possibly Indian, I couldn't tell which.

closeted republican posted:

Can you ruin Chloe's life in this game? Apparently you have to save her from being killed but I still want to be a giant dick to a whiny and super-angsty Tumblr teenage girl.
Whiny and super angsty? Her family is heavily in debt, her father died during her formative years and her stepfather is obsessively controlling and physically abusive. Plus her (possible) girlfriend has at best abandoned her, leaving town with zero notification, or at worst been murdered and thrown in a ditch or something. I feel like those are entirely valid reasons to be angsty.

Edit: Oh, and if she's to be believed (which is likely), she was nearly raped.

quadrophrenic posted:

I've said it before: Chloe and the jock chilling under the tree are the only tolerable personalities I've met in this game so far
Do you mind if I ask how old you are? I'm only about 5 years removed from most of the characters and I found most of them to be fairly realistic. Teenagers are generally kind of self-obsessed knowitalls, that's just how they are. the only ones I found insufferable were Nathan (incredibly spoiled nutjob), Victoria (pretty much clipped straight out of Mean Girls) and the kid who quizzed you before he'd let you see his portfolio (just generally kind of stuck up). Everyone else was a bit annoying yeah but that's just how teens are.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

mycot posted:

I don't get this; you're arguing against someone saying the characters are annoying, and then you admit the characters are annoying?
I'm saying the characters are annoying in a fairly realistic, teenager-ish way. What I'm not saying is that they're all insufferable and that I can only stand 2-3 of them, which is what the guy I was quoting was saying.

Paladinus posted:

Did you attend an art school? That's not how things were at my Uni.
I'm sorry the kids in this game aren't like the kids at your local fish & chip shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I am not American, but I've consumed enough American pop culture to know that every character in the game is a stereotype from your regular high school drama. Like I said, I'm sure they're aiming to subvert a lot of things, but so far it's just too clear cut.
Shockingly enough most stereotypes have at least a tiny grain of truth in them. The spoiled rich kid, the smug jock, the social crusading teacher, there's a reason those stock characters show up in the game, it's because nearly everyone who went to an American high school knew someone who fit those descriptions.

• Locked thread