Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

I hope every episode with Alyssa something gets chucked at her and you have to help her move out of the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

D_W posted:

I don't think Rachel had any sort of powers to be honest. She is probably at the center of the plot in some way, but I think she was more just in a wrong place at the wrong time and got in over her head. I wouldn't be surprised if she never shows up beyond being mentioned. She's probably dead. Possibly an accidental death?

I don't know if this was unique to the "Kate Dies" playthrough, but I got a little stinger at the end of the episode that showed the red binder with Rachel's name again, followed by someone's hands working on a new binder for Kate, with photos of her. I think Rachel's dead.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Rosalind posted:

They are in every version of the ending I think. I assume they are David Masden's binders that he seems to keep on many of the women at Blackwell.

His files are in green folders in the garage of his home, so I don't think they are his. I think we're supposed to infer that someone who knows what's going on / responsible for Rachel owns that red binder.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Reclaimer posted:

Brooke seems really into him, and seems to resent Max a bit as a result. I hope Max can pawn him off on her and get rid of that jealousy, 'cause my strat thus far has been straight out of Mean Girls: befriend everyone and slowly poison them against the popular girl.

I honestly wanted the option to tell Brooke to go help Warren in the science lab so that could eventually happen.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

As much as I hate wild, speculative guessing in mysteries like this,

Evan does fit the bill as a creepy dude with red binders

Max
Nov 30, 2002

PunkBoy posted:

Interestingly enough, I noticed him on the bus when Max went to the diner. Wonder where he was going?

Trading the bracelet?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Elephant Man? idk

Probably just Elephant. It's from the same era as some of those other films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htlsOf3PnGY

RightClickSaveAs posted:

No clue, this is on cool dude art teacher photography man's

This is Top of the Lake, which owed a lot to Twin Peaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSfUYoiRM0

Max fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 31, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Awesome, I didn't even know about Top of the Lake, I never would have gotten that. Elephant I remember the name of now, but it wasn't on my radar.

It's very good, and features a young missing girl as the driving plot point. It didn't get a lot of exposure here, sadly, since it was sort of stealth released on Netflix with very little fanfare, and is more of a mini-series than it is a movie. Still, absolutely worth your time.

Edit: Over/under on this one getting referenced on one of the cars in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtY_545-ST8

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Don't think about the mechanics of it too much.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Accordion Man posted:

I wouldn't mind if living Kate wasn't totally active but there should definitely be a huge tonal difference if she dies and she better play a major role at the end if she lives. I think they can do it though, I mean if Alpha Protocol can do similar things with presumably less dev time and possibly budget, they don't really have an excuse.

That was the one thing that bothered me about the little montage of people at the end of episode two. Max's text to Chloe seems kinda upbeat, given that Kate had just died in my playthrough.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I really don't believe that this game is going to make you stick with the new timeline, as that would completely undo way too much setup, and this game feels kinda smart enough not to stumble like that. I feel like one of the big choices you'll have to make (or not make) is going back and letting Chloe's dad die. Though, given your new social status, I wonder if you can leverage that for more info on some characters before heading back to use in your investigation.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given the big display of photos changing after Max changes the past, I'm expecting more radical shifts in the timeline in the last two episodes. She has a whole wall of photos in her room, remember.

Given that she specifically jumped into her younger self when she traveled back in time, and that it was a photo of her, I wonder if she has to be in the photo for that type of time travel to work. Good thing she's the self-styled "Selfie Queen" I suppose. Given that one of the first things you do in the game is take a selfie in your photo class, I wonder if they'll send you back to the beginning at some point.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

With Kate I kinda screwed myself by telling the truth at the end. I hadn't picked up her phone call earlier, so when we go to that part, I felt bad about it and didn't want to lie and say I was busy or something. Turns out, telling the truth in that situation is not a good idea.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I doubt it. It totally could go that way, but the big clinch of the ending seems to be Max picking her photo for the contest (and I'm still betting that's the ending-marker, like "you got the Chloe Ending" with a picture of her) and that doesn't really quite gel if it's out of a paradox and she's been dead a week. I don't doubt that we're going to really gently caress the timelines in Episode 4 in new and interesting ways trying to patch things up though.

I have a dumb theory that At some point, we're going back to the beginning of the game, since Max must take a selfie in order to move past the little prologue area and into the bathroom, where the plot takes off.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I agree that they wouldn't go Donnie Darko in this game, because that would really be lame and I like how they've found ways to really make your actions in a time travel game have consequences that you can't take back so far. I still think we'll go back there, but I doubt it would be to set things back to the way they were supposed to be. Hopefully it would be to do something interesting with that kind of twist.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

seravid posted:

What I'm getting is that I should probably watch Donnie Darko, huh?

It's good, and was pretty interesting when it first came out. It may not have the same impact it once did now that it's been more than a decade since it came out.

Do not watch the director's cut.

As to the other stuff I don't really think we'll be stuck in the alternate timeline, because they've set up a lot of stuff that just won't pay off if we are stuck there. I can see it being used to gather information from inside the vortex club about what could have possibly happened, now that Max's social situation has altered pretty significantly, and I imagine we'll actually be going to the party where Kate was drugged. In general the alternate timeline seems like a cool jumping off point, but it would feel pretty hollow if we ultimately end up anywhere but the first timeline.

Or not! maybe they have something interesting cooked up. I just can't imagine what it would be.

Edit: now that I think about it, the previews of the party looked like they were for the upcoming party, not the one Kate was at.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't think it was the teacher. One student claimed Rachel was having sex with Jefferson. I doubt he would be doing that and also be planning on killing her, doesn't fit the typical serial killer MO.

I still think it's the super, SUPER snooty photo student (Evan?) that pops up every once in a while.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Spoiler for Top of the Lake: The pregnant girl doesn't die, and eventually gives birth and lives on a commune with other women seeking shelter.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The school is a finishing school essentially. It only has one grade level for seniors. Those things exist.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I got back from vacation and was finally able to play this. Very good episode.

I was surprised to see people hadn't figured out the pin to the phone. I didn't know you could figure out where he was without it.

I thought about most of the major decisions before making them, but I didn't even spend a second thinking about it before letting Warren go to town on Nathan.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

For the pin I just kept looking at the school sheet with all the numbers, because I couldn't reconcile them including it and it not being relevant. Then I just thought to try his birthdate, because that seemed clever that they would make the 08 "August" and leave you to interpret that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

I like to think I'm not that goony over this game, but I get your point. My response to the twist was simply "of course it was him", rather than shock. The operation was obviously way too organized for someone like Nathan to be doing it, and those binders clearly go back years and years based simply on how many there are.

It hadn't really occurred to me that it might be him until he showed up at the party. Like, I knew he was going to be there, but something about his appearance just as we head off pinged my radar.

Also, it was bothering me that I remembered much older hands putting that one folder together in the cliffhanger of one of the episodes, and thought "wait, Nathan doesn't have old person hands."

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It was actually really smart of them to make Nathan's dorm room fairly clean and put together, because then you can kind of buy that he might be able to maintain that studio in the barn.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I feel like most of the social interactions that have been spread throughout the game paid off in episode 4, since I had to try and convince Victoria to stay away from Nathan. I was able to get her to believe me because I had been kinda nice to her. I imagine that would be more difficult / impossible if you had been a (justifiably) complete monster towards her. The same goes with Frank, as all of your interactions with him culminate in how easy or difficult it is to get his information without him ending up dead/wounded, as well as Alyssa telling you where to go look for Nathan.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's definitely a private boarding school that is only for seniors.

As for the age difference, some states have different starting ages for schools, so you can end up with situations where people graduate younger / older than you think they should.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dolash posted:

Now that I have the time travel power I should be good, because for some reason actually getting to control the time travel with the right mouse button and make people walk backward/repeat sentences is dumb fun. Also because realizing you can time travel and immediately using it to steal answers and good conversation bits is delightfully petty. Oh, and I guess stopping that one shooting or something. There's certainly enough depth here to pique my interest so thanks for the encouragement to get over the initial distaste.

Please tell me there's a route split at some point where one way you keep playing Ellen Page in Groundhog Day and the other Max realizes she could be a supervillain, then dumps photography for world conquest.

I find this game to do some very surprising things that I genuinely did not expect, in a good way. I know what you mean about the feel of it. Episode 1 is definitely the worst offender of that, and it only gets better from there.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

blue squares posted:

Frankly the alternate timeline felt to me like one of those great ideas that the creative team had, but when they couldn't find a way to integrate it better, they didn't make the hard choice that all artists have to make: to know when to cut the material you love. Sometimes the best thing for the story is to cut your favorite parts. As (I believe) Stephen King calls it, "Kill your darlings."

Someone else mentioned it, but the polaroid power will . . . very likely be a part of the final episode. They had to introduce it in a way that was narratively interesting and to really make you realize that it's incredibly dangerous and can cause way too many ripples in the time line.

Edit: I was beaten.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's absolutely Rachel.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

yo5ty posted:

We can officially put the it wasn't Rachel theory to rest, we have confirmation from someone who was there.

Viva Miriya posted:

The journal entry after you find her confirms its Rachel.

This and Chloe digging up the grave then falling apart and sobbing about how Rachel really is dead. Why is this something people are entertaining?

Max fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 18, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

But where people really invested in the idea that she was alive?

All signs point to 'She's dead' that for her to not be dead would make zero sense. The spirit deer that represents her was standing over her grave site in episode 2, there are photos of her at the grave site made by the people that kidnapped her, Chloe clearly says she's dead when they find the bag, and there's the diary entry.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BobTheJanitor posted:

Before people get too goony and start punching strawmen, can I point out that no one is obsessing over the idea that it's not Rachel. It's no one's indespensable pet theory. No one is furiously defending the idea as the one gospel truth. Just a few people have pointed out that a game which has twisted supposedly obvious facts before has given us a suggestion that things are one way, and it's always possible (if not entirely probable) that it could be something different. Again, they could just be teasing to keep people guessing, but it's not like suggesting there could be more misdirection going on here is entirely outside the realm of sanity, it's just unlikely.

Sometimes I have flashbacks to the True Detective season 1 thread. I don't agree that the developers are teasing us, I think that's just people reading way too far into the game and thinking there might be something there that really isn't. It's fairly clear that it's Rachel's body in that hole.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They have a few possible avenues for rescue, so that's going to be interesting to see how you get out of the situation.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BobTheJanitor posted:

Thinking about this, since physical objects that are touching you come with you on a rewind, presumably even if you could rewind after getting drugged, the actual drugs in your bloodstream would stay there. So even after reversing all you could do is fall down and mumble before passing out. Presumably this also means that if Max ever gets shot, we're screwed. You can rewind but you can't make the bullet disappear. That's some weird paradoxical way to die.

Yeah, it's pretty much 'Daybreak' rules in terms of traveling back in time.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Regarding Lip Sync in this game:

Sometime while I was playing the first episode, the game hitched up while a conversation was going on, and it took forever to load the next line of dialogue. While it was loading it, Max just kept moving her mouth waay longer than she would be for that particular line, and only stopped when the audio loaded in and finished.

I think there really isn't any specific lip sync in this game, I think they are just programmed to talk like a puppet whenever their audio plays, which probably makes animating it way easier.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm trying to avoid this thread since the game is so close to being out, but just as an FYI to PC players who have upgraded to Windows 10 recently - I just had to update my physX driver in order to stop the game crashing at the Unreal logo. That fixed all the problems for me at least.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ending Spoilers

I don't think there was any way to avoid that ending. Who knows, it was still a really good game. The entire nightmare sequence was the stand out moment this episode.

Jefferson doing the cliche "I'm a loving psycho let me explain everything to you" thing was a bit much, but he made it work.

I chose to save Chloe, and instantly got the feeling that it was the ending the developers didn't want me to chose, because it's really short.

Going back and choosing to sacrifice Chloe gives you a much more . . . put together ending that feels like it actually has closure. It's too bad that is the way it is.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, I saw it coming.

I like that your time powers are just not explained. There's no explanation that would work.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

The Max you play in Life is Strange is probably not the Main Max, if there even is such a thing anymore. Remember the game starts with you waking up from a vision of the storm and no memory of how you ended up there, similar to the disorientation Max feels whenever she jumps back into a polaroid into an alt-existence. So who knows how many parallel universes there are with alt-Maxes getting stuck in some severely hosed timelines. We just happen to be following one of the realities that avoids total collapse. My own theory is that in the first timeline Max jumped back to the very beginning in order to avoid choosing between Chloe and Arcadia Bay, and has repeated this process for who knows how long.

Main Max probably realized she needed a selfie from that class lecture.

Edit: Oh yeah, I was gonna ask, who else had Victoria in the dark room? She's there for the very first segment. I kinda wanted her to try and help with the escape, but I guess that would take more resources than they had.

Max fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 20, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Arach posted:

Ending is for sacrifice Chloe - straight Donnie Darko. Rewind to the start. Nothing is of any consequence. The correct move is no move.

They sort of foreshadow this when they make you watch yourself do nothing while William looks for his keys during the nightmare section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Eh, the ending is what it is. Everything leading up to the ending is really loving good though.

Side note about some mid-episode 5 stuff:
Who told David the truth about Chloe? I did, and it was actually a really brutal sequence and the only time I've taken a decision back because I couldn't handle his "I always lose" line after he shoots Jefferson.

• Locked thread