Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Has anyone made this joke yet because boy howdy do I want to be in on the ground loving floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Aw, man.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dolash posted:

It shouldn't be as hard to convince people as it was with Chloe - ask them to give you an item, travel back in time and show you have the item. Or ask them to think of a number between 1 and 1000, tell it to you, then go back in time and tell them the number they're thinking of. Or do the time-travel teleport thing I like using so Max can cross the map in about two real-time seconds.

Is some one gonna tell him? I wanna tell him.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Junkfist posted:

There's a "Collectables Mode" where you just replay the area in your save file so you can get them with no decisions or actions carrying over so probably not.

what

What

WHAT

I've been sitting on my save file since March because I've been committed to having a clean run with absolutely no metagaming, seething in frustration at not having the opportunity to go find the photos I missed, and this mode has existed all along?

Well poo poo, looks like sleep's canceled tonight.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dolash posted:

I was thinking more introducing the fact that she can travel into photos and conspiring with Chloe on how to use that to get the outcomes they wanted. Instead she gave up at the first hurdle without even trying to jump over it. It's almost enough to say "why bother introducing all this if it goes nowhere?", I get that it has potential character development implications for Max to see the 'what if?' possibilities without the writers wanting to restructure the whole story around alternate timelines but it's such a clumsy, heavy-handed way to do it that leaves Max looking dumb. Jumping into photos is 10x as powerful as rewinding but let's drop it down the memory hole because it's harder to use.

Man, it really bugs you that Max doesn't approach situations the way you would, doesn't it?

And it's way premature to say that all of that amounts to nothing. You still have about 40% of the game left.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dolash posted:

The false choice between the two timelines feels contrived, not by the limitations of Max's perspective and character but just by the writing. She does mention not relying too heavily on her powers from time to time and she certainly doesn't understand them well enough that worrying about them failing on her is a valid concern, but she seems to treat the problem like she can't fix it rather than she won't or is scared to try.

Did you by chance miss the sequence in episode 2 when you lose your powers and are unable to manipulate the conversation with Kate? You know, where it's shown that Max's ability is not 100% reliable, thus completely validating her concerns?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dolash posted:

Yet it didn't stop her from trying to save William in the first place, or letting him die again (which was really choosing to meddle a second time, it's not an undo button). The thing that discouraged her was seeing that saving William had an unexpected knock-on consequence of killing Chloe, but we weren't given some kind of The Time Machine idea that time required one of them to die, it was just a freak happenstance. Rather than try to fix that too, though, it makes Max turn back (which means using her powers again anyway), which is frustrating because she was willing to try so much and there are viable solutions in reach but why she won't keep trying is sort of intangible. Do other solutions just not occur to her, this time? Is she misunderstanding the situation and how her powers work? Is she more scared of her power failing the third time than the previous two? It's frustrating.

One of the weird upsides of the sequence being so isolated from the rest of the story is that it's possible to just sort of ignore it as some big, weird dream Max had.

Setting aside for now that we're dealing with an incomplete story so neither of us can say definitively what Max will or won't try, this still boils down to Max approaching situations differently from how you would. Yes, I get it, if you suddenly discovered you could jump through time by looking at photos of yourself, you'd Ashton Kutcher it over and over again until everything was just right. Max isn't you. She's much more cautious. She discovered the ability by accident, tried to make the best of it, and realized she screwed up. But because she's way more cautious than you, her first instinct wasn't to immediately try to set everything back the way it was, because she didn't know if she could or if it wouldn't have some other averse effect. Only after losing Chloe forever did she finally decide that it was worth going back to set things right.

Plus, what kind of message would it send if the writers told us, flat out, that killing William is preferable to paralyzing Chloe? They had to show that the alternate reality was Worse by having it end not just in Chloe's death, but in the Price family's thorough ruination.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

This guy writes way too many words to say nothing in particular

You get used to it and eventually learn to love it.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Personally I am a fan of the theory that episode 5 will culminate in a Battle of the Bands between The Max Caulfield Experience ft. Alyssa and Mr. Jefferson & the Wild Prescotts and you'll have to use Rock Band guitar controllers to have Max shred wicked solos and triumph comes only from being a rhythm monsterhead.

That would provide me with a wholly satisfactory conclusion to this story.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I don't know this one.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Oh gently caress me

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I dunno guys check out this photo I took last night

:tinfoil:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Nathan knows that David is onto them. When Chloe is snooping through Blackwell's files in Episode 3, she comes across one of his screeds to the effect of "David M. helps me follow who he follows". His surveillance may not be as useful as some of you are suspecting.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Protecting Alyssa from getting doofed in every episode is the game's true mission.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

spudsbuckley posted:

How does no one realise that it will be released near Halloween? It's Halloween in game.

Do they celebrate Halloween on October 11 every year where you live?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I was playing this yesterday (really super fuckin' awesome game by the way) and I had an interesting glitch during a cut scene.

Or maybe we can chalk it up to atmosphere.

He's just waiting for his hug.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I resolved at the outset that I would commit to all of my choices once it was too late to take them back, and save my meta-gaming for after I completed the story. And I have done so. Fortunately for me, everyone is alive except for Chloe

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no I killed the poo poo out of Lisa. Dead as all hell. I stood waving my hand. Watching her drown. Watching her scream. Quiet or loud.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

So the achievements are up for Episode 5, and I can't help but consider how weird it is that it will be following the "Take 10 photos" pattern. Like, your best friend and love of your life just got loving shot and you've been taken to a necrophilia fetish dungeon but lmao look at dat fukken squirrel I just gotta get this shot

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Pawn 17 posted:

Wow is ep 5 coming out already? I guess time goes by faster between eps when not obsessively checking the steam page/forums everyday.

Ha ha ha gently caress you these past three months have been hell. :(

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Holy poo poo did I walk into 17 simultaneous AGMs because y'all are killing me with these projections

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

If you like Warren you probably didn't get laid in high school

If you don't like Warren you still probably didn't get laid in high school but you've at least figured out why and are mad at yourself for what you view as lost time, or you're a woman.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Arcland posted:

He stares outside of your window when you wake up an photoshops himself in pictures with you.

NORMAL TEENAGE STUFF OKAY

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

My friend is watching that video and getting really mad about it. Thanks thread.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I know what I'm doing: unbookmarking this thread. See y'all Wednesday.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Alright I'm back

I Am The 49%

gently caress all y'all and gently caress this game I am NOT allowing the Sacrificial Queer trope to play out one more GODDAMN time my story about women who love each other ends with both of them ALIVE and I do NOT care how bad this game tries to make me feel about it by giving me the lesser ending for it.

All so can say is I'm glad I bought the season pass because it effectively means I didn't pay a god drat cent for this episode.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Buzkashi posted:

My best friend and I are basically under the impression that the only people who are sacrificing Arcadia Bay are doing it out of irony or spite, because I think only a complete monster would honestly be like "Yes Chloe I'm totally okay with your mom dying horribly in a diner explosion so I can have you all to myself forever."

100% spite here, and not even slightly ashamed of it.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

BobTheJanitor posted:

Sad but true. Especially disappointing given the previous episodes proving that they can do good, non-cliched writing. I remember discussing this a few months back and telling people 'there's no way they're going to do a grimdark ending where you can't change inevitable fate, because this team clearly knows what they're doing and wouldn't ever make such a novice blunder.'

WELP. :v:

I think that's probably what gets me the most about the ending, that EVERYONE saw it coming because it is EVERY TIME TRAVEL STORY EVER.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Okay so it's been a few days and I wish I could tell y'all that I've settled down even a little about this game, but the truth is that I haven't. At least, not entirely.

I'm not angry anymore. I don't hate the last episode. The endings still evoke some unfortunate tropes that I wish could have been handled more gracefully, But I've been thinking about this game nonstop since completing it on Tuesday night, and a not-small percentage of that time has also been spent crying about it a whole lot. Under other circumstances, I'd chalk that one up to being a woman. The simple truth is that anything that manages to engage with me on such a profoundly emotional level is not something I can truly hate.

I stand by the decision I made for my ending, and am still pretty grumpy at how the choice was presented. Like, how many of you folks watch Doctor Who? Remember when the Doctor chided Rory for being too focused on Amy when all life in the universe had just unhappened, saying "your girlfriend isn't more important than the universe"? And in response, Rory punches him in the jaw and shouts "SHE IS TO ME!" And how NO ONE thought Rory was an rear end in a top hat for valuing Amy's life over the entire rest of the universe, including but not limited to his family, her family, and everyone else he ever knew?

Yeah. So gently caress all y'all for trying to guilt Max for reaching the same drat conclusion over just one small town in Oregon.

If it weren't for Undertale, Life is Strange would easily be my GOTY for 2015, and it definitely has a spot in my top five overall.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Well, yeah, but in 2010 we briefly had hope

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

The storm was sent by the vengeful spirit of Rachel Amber and can only be satisfied by the deaths of Nathan and Jefferson. Chloe's death short-circuits this by giving Rachel's spirit something else to focus on before the storm can really get underway.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

The more I think about it the more I think it's incorrect to view one ending as "good" and one ending as "bad". They're both bad. That's kind of the point. From the very beginning, every choice has been very ambiguously presented as to whether or not it's the "right" thing to do. Report Nathan? Morally the right thing to do at face value, but it only results in being harassed by him and his father while the principal does nothing but drink and feel sorry for himself. Steal the money? Morally wrong at face value, but that money was only being used for a bribe, and with you it can actually save one, two, or three lives.

The final choice is that, but on a much larger scale. Neither choice is right. Both have reasons you should and reasons you shouldn't. In the end, it all depends on who you are as a player and who Max is as your avatar.

And my avatar Max is literally gay af so :colbert:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I completely missed this part, I just remember being in the Alt reality and reading Principal Wells' letter to William about how Blackwell couldn't possibly accommodate Chloe because she's in a wheelchair.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Spider-Man chose Mary Jane over a car full of kids, Neo sacrificed humanity's continued existence to save Trinity (who loving died anyway), Hellboy risked the damnation of every soul on earth to save Liz, and Rory flat out states that Amy's life is more important than every life in the whole universe.

Granted none of these are what anyone would consider to be pillars of cinematic literature, but the reasons they are not liked are largely unrelated to these choices being made by the heroes.

Max can flatten one stupid town to save Chloe.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

sighnoceros posted:

I'm wondering if maybe the lesson actually IS an intentional "if you try to change fate you just make things worse", simply because of what does happen if you get Victoria to listen to you. If you are nice to her along the way and do everything right to make her believe you that Nathan is a bad guy, she goes running to Jefferson about it and gets caught and taken to the dark room to be killed. Where if you just leave her alone and don't do anything, that never happens. So you actively trying to protect her is what causes her to be put in danger. Man, gently caress these writers. :mad:

As I posted earlier, one of the things this game does is continually push a message of "there is no right answer". This one, I feel, is particularly designed to snare the "be nice to everybody" crowd, of which I am definitely a member. I remember seeing this sequence of events playing out in Episode 4, and feeling relieved that my efforts had paid off and that I had done a Definitively Good Thing by being nice. Seeing how that plays out in Episode 5 was a punch right to the gut, and I would definitely say that from the writers' point of view, that this sequence was Working As Intended.

So, question for you folks who've played with more options than I have: How do you get David to cover for Chloe breaking into Blackwell? I've heard that it's possible, but I don't remember what decisions need to be made for that to happen.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Yes don't play it

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Radish posted:

Yeah I think the theme of everything would have worked out great if you just didn't do anything was very intentional and also really stupid. It would be one thing if this was a movie but as a game it's silly. Having an ending where you tell the player that their involvement in the game was all a waste feels like some kind of art house thing where you watch the reactions of people after you tell them over ten hours of game play how much their choices matter then take them all away in the last literal minute of the game. It feels like the developers are trying to subvert the choose your path styled games in a meta way and I really don't appreciate it when I just want to play a game and not be part of their art project.

Yet another reason why the Bae over Bay ending is superior

No I'm never letting this go why do you ask

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

redreader posted:

Did anyone else already mention that after saving the goth girl (alyssa?) a bunch of times, she refuses to be helped by you later on because 'every time I see you something flies at my head', or whatever?

That only happens if you screw up.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

BobTheJanitor posted:

What do you do with all the leftover anticipation?

Fanfiction. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

BobTheJanitor posted:

Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

I've been registered on this god damned web site for over 11 years and you for a year longer. Any sense of decency either of us might have had perished alongside John Kerry's presidential campaign.

• Locked thread